Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• fellwalker57fellwalker57 Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar experience. 2006 A6 3.2. Gas gauge started to jump around: from half full to empty, from quarter full to half. I took it to the dealer who said it's a known problem -- they said it needed a software upgrade but the car smelled of gas for a week after. Then I noticed that the seat memory wasn't working correctly -- they fixed that. Then the gas gauge problem re-surfaced. They said they put in a new sensor but the next time I filled the tank I found a major gas leak. Turns out that they overtightened and cracked the cover to the tank. They fixed that a week ago but once again today the gas gauge jumped around.

Does anyone know a permanent fix for this?

I'm not sure I want to take it back, what will they break this time?
  • yhubbardyhubbard Member Posts: 1
    Hi. My 2000 A6 4.2 has the entire RH side of the car's exterior lights are dimmed and flashing funny. I have checked every light to make sure it is working and they all are. I thought it may be a bulb out?? I have read my owners manual and it is really vague.. Anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    A friend who has an 05 A6 had me looking at his car yesterday. It seems the front end makes a grinding noise when turning slowly, usually to the left, but it will do it ot the right too. He's tried rotating the tires, thinking it was a wear issue, but they are fine and it does it regardless of tires.

Has anybody had issues with grinding/gear noises from the front end on their 05 A6? I'd like to be able to point him in the right direction. His dealer has said that noise is normal, yet it is only happening on a few A6's around here.

-Paul
  • kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    Mine does the same thing on the first start of the day and only for the first few seconds. Dealer told me it was the car cleaning the brake rotors. I don't know if I believe it, but who knows.
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    I also had gas gauge issues. I didn't ask them what they did but from the service invoice it looks like they updated the software and also changed or cleaned the fuel sensors. All is well since then. Have your dealer redo it.
  • denniso482denniso482 Member Posts: 2
    I had a EPC or EPS warning light come on while driving. Then the car would only idle no matter what I did with the gas. If I slammed it down with my foot ir would only idle and continue out 3 MPH and th RPM would not change. Has anyone else had this problem? Did it come back after the software update? Please let me know. Thanks, Dennis
  • denniso482denniso482 Member Posts: 2
    I had this same problem and was told I need a software update. I do not feel my car is safe to drive after this happened. The dealer is trying to give it back to my with the all clear. This car has been in their shop for 30 days during the last 6 months. Please email me at dennis.oleesky@meridiascapital.com
    Thanks
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    I'm coming up on six years with my 2001 2.7T w/6-speed. I have about 86,500 miles. Although I'm not looking forward to the expense of the 90,000 service interval I think I'll have the car thoroughly gone over so I can drive it another three or four years, at least.

I've had very few problems and none that have taken the car off the road. Everything was fixed at a normal service interval except for one problem about four years ago - I made an appointment and the dealer gave me a loaner. I get the oil changed every 5,000 miles, more frequently than the owners manual calls for. I always go to the dealer. I don't drive it on short errands where it won't fully warm up and I don't merge off the on-ramp at 90 mph unless the turbo temp indicator is up.

I'm not opposed to a new car, I just like the six speed and the room in the A-6. I could afford a new car and I'm considering a Jeep Unlimited for in-and-around driving in order to prolong the life of my A-6.

My opinion is this car is no more or less reliable than any other on the road. But it is a lot more fun to drive than most. It needs to be taken care of. Even Lexus and Camry have recalls. I cancelled my subscription to Consumer Reports a few years ago after what I believe was their erroneous assessment of Audi. Tonight's news further confirms that these people will print anything on the barest of facts.
  • allagarooallagaroo Member Posts: 88
    What news???
    J
    It made some mistakes on child car seats.
    Oh! I was aware of that. I thought it involved Audi specifically. I would think that will hurt CR. It makes you feel like they conduct the tests to come out with results that will sell magazines. Certainly took a few steps backwards in the weight I put on their reports.
    J
    Not only was their credibility severely damaged by a completely fraudulent report (and been suspect for many more) I see from the news yesterday that the perennial favorite of Consumer Report - Toyota - recalled 530,000 Tundra's and Highlanders.

I expect they'll do okay weighing the sauce and fruit in national and store brands of fruit cocktail. After that their expertise falls off pretty quickly.
  • a0kiaa0kia Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have an Audi A6 1999. I have noticed that whenever it sits outside for more than a couple of hours in the below freezing temperature, the heater, the outside lights (headlight/blinkers) and the windshield wipers do not work. For now, the only way to get it to work seems to be to drive it around until something happens (just idling does not accomplish this feat) and the headlights come on, at which time the wipers and the heater all turn on at the same time. Inside panel lights are turned on throughout this ordeal. Problematic especially at night, when it's colder and there is no headlight! Any ideas? Thanks,
    /aly
    email: a0kia@yahoo.com
  • a6davea6dave Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any joy with Audi re this?

I bought an '03 A6 2.5TDi previously owned by Leaseplan UK. When purchased the car had a full service history (recommended 40K mile service done at 38K). At just over 48K miles the gearbox failed and was lifted to my local garage where I was told the box had 'exploded'. I rang the local dealers and was told to take it in. There I was told they would strip the box down and send a report to Audi to see if they would, as the car is out of warranty, contribute to to the cost of a new box. Gearbox was stripped and the guy that did it said he had never seen a box in that condition. Audi have today rung me saying that they are not prepared to show goodwill in this case, which in all fairness they are not legally bound to as the car is now out of warranty.

However my argument is that the car has been serviced as per Audi recommendation and is not due another gearbox oil change until 78K. It is only 10K since last oil change and that this looks as so it is a common fault with the design/durability of the box.

I am now arguing the toss with Audi and have told them that warranty or not I want a new box, I have been told by my local garage that if I kick up enough stink they'll replace it so I'll let you know what goes on
  • tigabumptigabump Member Posts: 7
    I'm considering buying that car for $9000. As far as I can tell it looks ok RIGHT NOW. But what are the experiences here about what the future will bring? It's the 2.8l engine with tip-tronic. Is the tranny likely to fail soon or is there any other 'typical' problem that might come up for this model of that age ?

thnx
  • sean812sean812 Member Posts: 2
    new 2007 A6 shudders when given gas from complete stop. Have taken in to dealership 4 or 5 times. Each time, tech who test drives says it doesn't sound right. Yet each time answer comes back, normal operation of CVT. One time, they rebooted computer of engine (dealer won't document that in writing), didnt' fix problem. Took to level of TFM. Was able to duplicate shudder. Test drive brand new 2007 A6 CVT off the lot. NO SHUDDER AT ALL. TFM downloaded information off computer, ran tests, came back said normal "characteristic" of cvt engine. Anyone else had this experience? thanks!
  • sean812sean812 Member Posts: 2
    I've just posted a new message (1st one) about my car that shudders. I also have a delay/hesitation when in drive or reverse w/2007 A6 CVT
  • herkuleszherkulesz Member Posts: 2
    I have two problems i don't know how to fix.

1. how do you change your ECT Sensor, how much and where do you buy.

2. Bank 1 AIR Flow Too Low
    Bank 2 AIR Restricted Flow

How do you fix those two error codes?

Please help
  • josun73josun73 Member Posts: 1
    I have what sounds like the same squeak on my 2006 A6 3.2, it's usually when I go over broad speed bumps. I haven't taken it in to get diagnosed yet. Did you ever figure out the source of yours?
  • halofanhalofan Member Posts: 37
    Hi all -

Anyone else have this happening? When I accelerate, I hear a ticking sound from the engine. Kind of like an old car used to sound when it was low on oil. I'm told by my dealer that this is the fuel injectors and is a normal sound relating to the FSI system? No performance issues, just loud and chinsy sounding in my opinion. Any others have this problem?
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    I personally don't have this and doubt it is the "FSI" excuse. I'd either take it to another dealership or to a good independent repairman. Have the indie diagnose the problem and then take it back to the dealership to have them do the repairs if necessary.

Good luck.
  • carsearch4carsearch4 Member Posts: 1
    Over the years, my cars have all been Japanese.... this time considering a used Audi instead. Love the look of the car, a little scared that reliability seems to be an issue. Any thoughts on a 3.0 v 2.7 ? I am targeting a car with around 30,000 miles, automatic, quattro, sedan. I drive relatively few miles/year--around 10,000, mostly city. Thanks.
    I had a "00 and a '03 A6 2.7 and had no problems with them. I'm turning in my '03 on Tuesday with app.33000 miles on it and it is perfect. I am getting a '07 A6 3.2 loaded. I am excited about the new technology but disappointed the 2.7 engine or a new turbocharged engine isn't available. I love the way peak torque comes on at 1800rpm. I like the feel of the steering much more on the '03. I would get the 2.7 over the 3.0. Audi has been doing turbos a long time and their reliabilty in a maintained car has been fine. Make sure the car is CPO'd by Audi. I think you could get my car from Audi CPO'd for 21-21500.
    Good luck with your decision.
    J
  • roberto8roberto8 Member Posts: 5
    I am looking at a 2000 A6 2.7 Turbo w/100000 miles. Anything to look out for? Anything for this particular year? The price is $9500 from a dealer.

I am a little nervous about buying a car with so many miles on it.

Timing Belt?
    Electrical issues?
    Oil leaks?
    Turbo Problems?

Thanks
  • swsjrswsjr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 A6 2.8 with an airbag light on. Local shop (not Audi dealer) said it was a bad airbag control unit. They could install but said could not program, only could be done at Audi dealer. Took it to my Audi dealer, said it is a faulty SRS control unit and that it needs to be replaced. Total cost is $1,100! Does anyone have any experience with this and is this cost in line?
    I also vote for the 2.7. It was one of Audi's best turbo engines. Very fast, in fact the 2004 2.7 was faster than the V8 4.2 that same year. Audi has since corrected this hierarchical error!
    For what its worth - I have a 2001 2.7T w/6-speed with 88,000 miles and I really like this car. I bought it new. It was hard finding a 6-speed on the lot and typically they were demos. 6 speeds got quite a bit of press for their performance and I was worried about how the demo units were driven so I had the dealer find a car that was still shrink wrapped.

I've had no mechanical (engine) problems. As I said elsewhere in this forum I have the oil changed and tires rotated every 5,000 miles at the dealer. I don't take the car on short errands where it doesn't warm up and I don't race down the on-ramp unless the oil temperature is up (lower left gauge).

I have replaced both tie rods (not sure that falls into mechanical). I attribute that to the 20 mile commute through the back roads of New England.

The nylon rail on my right front window cracked one bitter cold winter a couple years ago. It was nuisance because the gas tank fill is on that side, I go to full serve gas, and the attendant would come to that side to get the receipt signed. So for the month or two between oil changes I had to give the window a push.

Finally I've had two electrical problems - both fixed under warranty. In fact the first was when the car was a bout a year old. The LED on the clock/calender would flash off/on from time to time. Dealer replaced the unit. And the switch between the clutch and the ignition needed to be replaced at about 45,000 miles. The car always started but for a short stretch it took six or eight tries. I'd turn the key and nothing would happen. Turn it off and on again.

That's a complete chronology. Everything was fixed during normal maintenance (oil change) cycle. The timing belt is due at 90,000 miles. I'm not looking forward to paying for that it but I expect a few more years out of this car --- unless I really can get a 4.2L V-8 and manual transmission in Audi's new A-5 this fall!!
  • pcpaulpcpaul Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if Audi dealerships link their service records? I'm looking into buying a certified Audi A6 but would like to view the service records first. After reading all of the horror stories here I am concerned. When I asked the dealership to check the VIN with their service department they replied they were unable to view the service records since Audi dealers do not share a common service system. Is this true?

I know that Saturn dealerships are all linked in and no matter which Saturn dealership you visit they can pull up the service record. I believe this may be true of Ford as well. Is it possible in this day and age that Audi is behind the times?
    From what I recall, they do.
    On February 20th, Audi came out with a new MMI update. It is known as CD 4FO 906 961 AB. It replaces the MMI update that came out on November 1, 2006. You can get the update by complaining about losing the surround sound setting(TSB 91 07 08), strange noise or no sound through radio (TSB 91 07 05), cursor jumping in radio memory list (91 07 06), problems displaying satelite stations on screen (91 07 11). The other good news is that the dealer no longer needs to arrange for a rep. There are step by step instructions. If anybody wants a PDF of the TSBs for the new update, as opposed to the old update, let me know.

Kevin
  • pcpaulpcpaul Member Posts: 4
    Liferules, I hate to think that my dealership lied to me but I guess they did. Perhaps the service records were less than optimal.

Anyone who bought a certified Audi been able to review the service records prior to purchasing it?
    I'd like a PDF of that. Let me know when you are ready to send it and I'll open up my profile's email address.

-Paul
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, if Keven can turn it into a jpeg, he can post it on his CarSpace page - that way anyone who wants to see it can just go there to find it.
    I'm not picky :)

-Paul
    I have an '07 A6. Would this upgrade be of any benefit to me? car is brand new and i don't have any of the problems you mention except I don't get the phone book from my Verizon VX-9800 in bluetooth.
    Thx
    J
  • dpierpointdpierpoint Member Posts: 4
    I'm also considering buying an '04 2.7T S-Line, loaded with everything except parktronic and navigation. Audi Dealer is quoting $29k (approx 40k miles, good condition) for a CPO model. Non-Audi dealers are in the 20-23k range for similar cars, $ primarily based on miles.

I'm figuring an offer of around $24k is reasonable for the car. Your thoughts?
    I e-mailed it to Pat. Perhaps he can post it. I have gray hair and don't know how to do it.

Kevin
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I have gray hair, too. :P

The question is can you use your scanner program to convert it to a jpeg? If you can, posting it on your CarSpace page is a snap. Let me know.
    I have uploaded the TSB's in this link

Just for anyone that wanted them...
    Awesome!

Thanks for posting them!

-Paul
    I am glad somebody was able to post them. I have PDfs of every TSB issued for an 05 4.2. If somebody wants to post them, let me know and I will e-mail them to the "publisher".
  • lenbrovermanlenbroverman Member Posts: 18
    I have an 2005 A6 which makes a clicking sound at 2500 to 4000 rpms. After 2 years of trying to figure out what it's from the best Audi can tell me is it's heater vent doors opening and closing when heat is being provided to the car's cabin. I don't know if this is your noise but sometimes it comes from the back and most often from the front and sounds as if it's coming from under the dashboard. I'm presently waiting for an Audi rep to contact the service people to tell what can be done. Has any body else encountered this problem? Most people probably don't here it because as I said you need to be over 2500 rpms and unless you drive it in triptonic as I do you probably won't get the engine to those rpms.
  • aveghteaveghte Member Posts: 68
    Has the Advanced Key feature worked better for 2007 Audi A6 than for 2005 models?

I saw a lot of posts in 2005 and early 2006 about problems with this feature and my wife is considering ordering a 2007 A6 3.2 quattro with the Technology package.

Also how is the voice feature in the Technology package. Does this allow the driver to control radio, television and navigation and keep their eyes on the road instead of their hands on the MMI controls?
  • adeel2adeel2 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Audi A6 with a 48 k miles. I have had no problem with the car so for and I enjoy the drive. I bought the car at 39k miles as a CPO. The factory warranty is ending soon at 50 k miles. I have the Certified Warranty which comes into effect after 50 k miles. It lasts for 2 years or 50k miles, whichever comes first. The certified warranty does not cover wear and tear and some other monor things but covers the main components. I wanted to know about the maintenenace cost of this car in the future. Should I keep it or get rid of it? I have heard of horror stories regarding German cars and maintenance. Does anyone have an estimate regarding the future maintenenace costs? Does anyone have a similir car and have had some experience? Please advise. Thank you.
    I own an '05 A6 3.2 and have had no problems whatsoever with my advanced key. I like it very much. It would be better if more things in life were advance key...not having to pull out the keys to get in the car is nice, but when you have to have them out anyway to lock the house or open the office takes away from the beauty of it somewhat...

I don't have voice, so I cannot answer to those questions.
    I have had no problems with the advanced key in my 05 4.2. The voice recognition is pretty good, but I tend to use the controls on the steering wheel.
    Have an '07 3.2 with advanced key and I'm enjoying technology. Just have to remember to leave key with valet parking or they won't be able to shut off engine.

Use voice feature a lot for nav/radio/phone/CD. Television???????????????? Detail map feature can only be activated through voice.

Rear camera and bluetooth also terrific.

J
  • kahtrskahtrs Member Posts: 1
    Dear Fellow A6 Sufferers,
    I'd appreciate feedback from anyone in the community. Two days ago, while on the highway commuting on highway (doing about 55 mph), the engine on my 2002 A6 3.0 quattro (97k miles) completely died. External visual inspection shows that the timing belt is frayed (replaced the original with a new one 9 months ago) and the pulley in the front of engine, in front of the valve cover on the driver's side of the V6, is sticking out instead of being flush with the engine block as is normal. My mechanic removed the valve cover and says that for some reason, most of the bolts that hold the pulley in place seem to have come out and are missing (sheared off??? disintergrated????). Does anyone have any knowledge about tihs type of mechanical failure? Is it possible that the new timing belt was somehow installed incorrectly and that, as a result, there were undue stresses on the pulley that eventually caused the bolts holding in place to break? Or, were the bolts themselves somehow worn out, faulty, fatigued???? This is the latest, and potentially the most expensive, of a long list of mechanical woes I've had with my A6. The price I pay for straying from Honda and Toyota? (I hope they'll have me back again when I finally replace the A6, which will be before the end of this year!)
    Thank you very much!
  • herkuleszherkulesz Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately, had my oil changed at Jiffy Lube. Recently the oil filter fell off while driving causing major engine damage. Jiffy won't take responsibility, insurance company says they won't cover it.

Has anyone had this happen?

Where can you get a quality replace 2.7 engine?

Please help
  • leftfrankleftfrank Member Posts: 6
    I'm returning a leased 2004 A4 1.8T 6M at the end of this month, and looking at replacements.

I definitely need to buy used - no more monthly payments (kid entering college).

Yesterday I looked at a 2002 A6 3.0 Tiptronic 5A with 71k miles on it from a local used car dealership (they specialize in Audi, BMW and Mercedes). I drove it for maybe 20 minutes - the car drove (and looks) like new. Everything seems to work. It has been obviously impeccably cared for - Carfax had all service records and they were on schedule (2 owners). You wouldn't know it had that many miles on it by looking at the interior or exterior.

The 2002 is a year that Consumer Reports has as not too bad at all in terms of reliability for the A6.

So, finally, my questions:
    - Is this year A6 pretty good in terms of reliability past 70k miles?
    - Do I need to go to my Audi dealer for (expensive) service, or can I take it to my local mechanic (who has been very good with my Suburban and Camry needs) for most items?
    - What other things should I look at on the car before buying it?
    - Should I consider a 3rd party warranty (the used car dealership offers them) for some length of time?

By the way, I'm also considering a couple of Acuras (TL/TSX).

THANKS!