Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• While driving on a highway my Audi lost power within 30 seconds of hearing a loud beep and seeing a large icon on the dashboard. Evidently, this was due to a thermostat that was stuck. When stopped the car steamed or smoked and the engine was melted. Does any one know if there should have been another warning light since there was none that we received.

Thanks,
  • hi have an 1998 2.4 auto v6 which took in water via blocked drain outlets near wipers 5 inchs of water in drivers side area everythin is workin again bar the gearbox the automatic symbos dont even appear on the dash anymore can anyone help
  • tom155tom155 Posts: 2
    I drove the car last night but this am nothing happened when I turned the key. No click, nothing. A battery jump did nothing, no starter click, nothing. Any clues?
  • Actually, although my car is 8 years old and I “love it “ dearly, I have found that if it is left parked in cold weather from more than 3-4 days, it might not start. This has happened a couple of times, and the car was towed away to figure out what happened. Both times, the car started after arrivng at the service station. Maybe "it" was thrilled with the attention. The last time, it was even still outdoors when the mechanic simply turned the ignition. They think that it has something to do with the oil not staying in all of the spots that it should, due to the cold. But no defitnite answer.
  • I just had the same thing happen last night. The car is an 07 A6 with less than 13,000 mi. I have not heard any concensus from the dealership yet. What have you found out in researching this problem? Frankly it was pretty dangerous as everything died while I was driving. I was able to restart the car bu couldn't drive it without it dying. Thaks, Mike
  • I am sure if you look at this site in any detail , you know that You want to save every piece of Paper from the Dealer , Never leave the dealership without a copy of repair order and what they have done , and get a loaner car from them if it under warranty .
    I had a 06 A6 dying was only thing that it did not do , it had so much electrical issues that i feared it would just catch fire , the a/c would blow 180 degrees from driver left vent and rear vents in a blink of eye , so hot you could not put both hands on wheel or use turn signals , beyond the service you get at your dealer you get no help from AUDI , nothing there about Customer Care , my A6 was down 135 days in 23 months that i had it. Need to read up on your rights under Lemon Law and know there help beyond Lemon .
  • What does it mean when the ABS and Brake light go on occassionally while I'm driving? Is this something that's an easy fix (i.e., fuse, brake fluid) or do I have to haul it off to the repair shop (again). Any advice is good advice. Thansk!
    1999 Audi A6 Quattro 89000 miles
  • zorozoro Posts: 5
    I have an 2005 A6 that I had a ton of issues with and had to file a lemon law claim. it was a pain but in the end I did get some satisfaction. The car has been repaired several times and was down for 60+ days over 20 months, since then I have had no issues and the car runs great.
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180
    I have an 05 4.2. I found that once I went to Ebahn's website and printed up every TSB issued on the car, and had the dealer essentially address every issue known to the A6, that the car became a great car. I suggest that you do the same.
  • Any truth to a tire dealers Mantra that replacing only one tire on an AWD A6 will damage the car in some way? This seems like such a scam. But from what I've read (forgive me --I'm far from knowledgable) it shouldn't matter much if the new tire is the same size and the tread on the old tires hasn't worn down to Abe Lincols's head?

Please help me save $300
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180
    Audi claims that you need to keep all the tire diameters within 3%. So if you have less than 10,000 miles on the other tires you can probably keep them. If you have more than 10,000 miles, you should replace them all.
  • rkarka Posts: 3
    2003 A6 quattro 93,000 mls
    Winter of 05/06 the car would not stop after ignition switch was turned off, with transmission in park, until foot was removed from brake. Intermittent problem which dealer couldn't find or fix, but it seemed to occur most regularly during the coldest weather. This winter and last winter the problem has not re-appeared. Mild winters in Philadelphia area??

About 6 weeks ago the anti-lock brake warning light would come on after driving for 15 mins or more. On restart everything worked as normal. Happened about 4 times over a few weeks. Seemed to happen in wet weather.

Last 2 weeks the ESP warning light came on 3 times. Same as with anti-lock brake warning light, after restart everything works.

Car starts perfectly every time but within the first 5 mins of driving there is a period of several seconds when the car doesn't want to accelerate. Extremely sluggish no matter how much gas is applied. This also is an intermittent problem. Last night after about 10mins driving, 40 degrees weather, cruising on the highway at about 70mph, car lost power, engine still running, and speed slowly bled off until I pulled over to the side at about 30mph. I sat at idle for about 5 mins and then was able to drive off normally.

Today car drives perfectly normally until I get home and park. When I switch off and get out I notice the brake lights are all lit up. I get back in press brake pedal, no change, restart and stop, no change. I leave the car for 20 mins, restart and drive, get out after a mile, still brake lights lit, after 2 miles the lights go out.

Any ideas guys? Are these problems all related? Could it be a computer issue with anti-lock brake system, or a solenoid sticking in the brake system? :confuse:
  • wkbarthwkbarth Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 A6 with about 55,000 miles-recently (in the past 3-4 weeks) the odb light has come on twice. The first time I had to replace the ignition coils (already done once during the recall in '03), now they are saying it's the torque converter...around $2000.00.
    Anyone else familiar with this and what else I might be expecting to fail?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,344
    What's the code you are getting?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

The code is 17125-I've had it checked by an independant service and the dealer. I'm getting estimates between $2000-$3000. (ouch).
    WB
  • minturnminturn Posts: 5
    Best advice is RUN AWAY! Dump the car ASAP. I HAD an Audi A6 2002 with 65k miles. Always serviced through Audi dealers on schedule. Last year the water pump broke, $2k later, back on the road . I take in for scheduled maintenance and I'm told I need to replace my O2 sensor to the tune of $700 dollars.

Last month the engine light comes on and then goes off, but the car continues to make a strange sound. I drive directly to the dealer. First I'm told it's my ignition coils, the same coils they replaced 3 years ago. They also tell me I need a new coolant container and brakes. My mistake, I tell them to fix the problem I brought the car in with first, then brakes and then coolant.

A day passes and they tell that the coils didn't fix the problem. They now think I need to remanufacture my engine, estimate is $7,000 for parts and $7,000 for labor, minimum. My first reaction was, STOP! No more work. After researching the problems, and checking my records for maintenance I conclude this makes no sense. I called audi of north america. They were particularly unhelpful. They claimed they would advocate that the dealer fix the problem at some sort of discount given my history of up keep. Three calls from me in week to audi of north america uncovered the real truth. Audi of North America has no desire to do anything for anyone. They told me "we stand behind the service department at the dealer". I then asked if they thought it was reasonable for Audi owners to expect an engine remanufacture at 65k after following their instructions and after using their service departments. They declined to answer, except that if the dealer says I need it, I must need it.

My research uncovered that I could purchase and have installed a completely remanufactured engine for $6,000. This new engine would have a better warranty than my audi engine would after audi did their repairs.

I also found an independent dealer that estimate that they could fix the problem for $3,500. Which is ultimately the direction I took. They couldn't explain the engine failure, except the oil change schedule and type of oil recommendation make no sense and could have cause an issue in the oil pump, which put to little oil into the engine and thus caused the cam to break.

When I went to retrieve my car from Audi of Mendham, they handed me a bill for $1,200. They were charging me for the coil, which didn't fix the problem, the brakes, and the coolant bottle. I protested given my prior instructions and they told me they would hold my car until I paid in full. I offered to pay for the coils, and suggested they should eat the remainder. They declined to accept my offer, even though I pointed out that it seems odd to me that I should pay for work on problems that I didn't identify when I brought the car to Audi of Mendham, since the problem I did identify was not fixed.

They declined to accept my position as reasonable, and again stated that they would keep the car until I paid in full. After a bit more discussion they agreed to eat the labor on the additional work, and I successfully ransomed my car from Audi of Mendham and took it directly to an idependent that fixed the car for $3,500, exactly what they originally estimated when they diagnosed the car.

Google A6 and engine failure and you will be horrified. I am not remotely alone. Your car is a ticking time-bomb. Sell it, trade it in, or give it away.

I just picked up an Infinity. Awesome car. Cost me less than I paid for the Audi six years ago, and easily a step function improvement in everything, especially reliability. Check out the A6 on the consumer reports web site the 02 and 03 years look like they were hit by a plague of gremlins.

I say again, RUN AWAY!
    That's what I was getting a sense of...you gotta love our disposable society! Maybe I'll buy a nice late 50's something this time!
    Did you get your A6 sold?
  • gbosleygbosley Posts: 20
    I am amazed at how AUDI is not required to stop selling in USA, after my experience with a 06 A6 , and no Customer Care from Audi USA , I am surprised that all the State Attorney General offices have not band together and stop this robbery of consumer .I have on back of my Truck ASK ME WHY NOT TO BUY AUDI !
    I been asked i hand over copies of all service calls and showing my 45 days down waiting on a Audi Tech to come . there right Run Away
    Well you can't walk away from it. The car is still worth some money. Sounds like a defective N218 pressure control valve. Could also just be very low fluid level but probably not, huh?

• docvoxdocvox Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 A6 Quattro wagon and it appears that there were mid-year changes in engine, transmission and other items. I wish to purchase the correct Bentley service CD and am trying to identify which engine, transmission, steering rack, etc I have. My VIN starts with WAUJC84A8WN and my emissions sticker identifies the car as being in emissions group WADXV02. Can you help?
  • docvoxdocvox Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 A6 Quattro wagon and it appears there were mid-year changes. Both the C4 platform with engines AAH and AFC (2.8L V6 2v) and the C5 platform with engines AHA and ATQ (2.8L V6 5v) were sold as model year 1998. I wish to purchase the correct Bentley service CD and am trying to identify which platform version I have. My VIN starts with WAUJC84A8WN and my emissions sticker identifies the car as being in emissions group WADXV02. Can you help? :confuse:
    This is a duplicate question that you have already asked in our Answers Department, and it has been answered!

Your Answered Question

Please feel free to come back here for ongoing discussions about the A6.

Visiting Host

• fonefixerfonefixer Posts: 247
    I agree with your dialogue. Bought a new 2000 A6 2.7T for $42,400 +TTL in June, 2000. Fortuneately, and at the last minute, bought the extended warranty. This car would have literally bankrupted me if the extended warranty had NOT been purchased. Sold the car to a private party in October, 2006 w/ 99,750 miles for $11,500.00. A drop in value of about 73% over 6 years which in itself is probably about average for a luxury type automobile.The problems over these 6 years included:

1.) steering wheel vibration above 60 mph.
    2.) steering wheel vibration during braking
    3.) leaking air conditioning
    4.) warped front brake rotors....replaced 4 times....problem not resolved
    5.) purchased my own drilled rotors....solved problem at my expense
    6.) noisy heater fan blower motor
    7.) climate control module failure
    8.) drivers/passenger front window infrastructure replacement
    9.) driver's manual door lock failure
    10.) central alarm system failure...windows going up/down uncontrolled
    11.) oxygen sensor failure
    12.) leaking valve cover gaskets
    13.) secondary fan cooling motor failure
    14.) turn signal module failure
    15.) vibration in dash
    16.)air bag light stuck on
    17.) turbo failure at 95,000 miles.....even with mobil1 changes every 5,000 miles.
    18.) leaking rear axle seals
    19.) front bumper almost torn off from curb stop due to manufacture defect
    20.)paint peeled off lower rocker panels almost from new.
    21.)upper/lower tie rod end failure at 60,000 miles.
    22.) poor remote key fob operational distance
    23.) poor fuel filler neck construction...fuel will gush out if on auto fill.

These cars are really a nightmare......totally a lease car that you return in 3 years (under warranty) and never look back. I have never had 1 of these 23 items happen on my 98' TOY camry and don't expect that I will until deep into the 100,000 + miles.
  • I have a 1999 Audi A6.My p.windows,sunroof and power locks suddenly stopped working and I get a constant buzzing as if the head lights were left on while I'm driving.Can anyone help me with this problem.Please

Thanks
  • I get into my car (1998 A6 Quattro) last Wednesday morning and without a problem arrived at school. After a long day, I rushed to my car and-Nothing. It didnt even attempt to turn over...the stater just clicked. I got the car towed and delivered to a shop. Being that it was 8 PM they were closed. Arriving in the morning the shop said it fired right up. They did a battery diagnostic check and it was fine. I picked it up and went along with my week like it was nothing. Today, exactly one week later i got into my car to go to school...no problem. I got in to leave and same exact problem!

ANYONE EVER HEAR OF THIS?!?!?!? THANKS!

Davidreese90@hotmail.com if anyone has any direct answers.
  • balaji3balaji3 Posts: 2
    I have an 1998 Audi A4. I bought this from a dealer an year ago. It has 76000 miles on it. A month back i saw a problem in which the engine rpm used to shoot really high and the car speed used to go low. when i used to stop and park the car for few mins, the car used to drive normally. this happend couple of times over a period of two months. So, i took it to the mechanic to have it checked and the mechanic told everything was fine. I drove the car and went onto to the freeway and within 5miles my car broke with a major jerk noise and the check engine, brake , abs symbol came up. I was never able to start the vehicle again. The mechanic checked the vehicle and again said everything was fine with the vehicle. Thereafter the car used to drive normally but sometimes used to stop with abs, brake symbol coming up. I took the car to the dealer and he made spend 750$ and replaced a shifter chip in the triptronic unit. This didnt fix the issue. I am still seeing the failure. Also, now i am seeing the airbag symbol flashing. I took it to the dealer again, and he says he doesnt know what the problem is. Has anyone had the same issue? Any suggestions to fix the issue would be greatly appreciated.

email: balaji.vijendiran@yahoo.com
  • Have you reached an understanding on a fair price to install two cv boots? I just received an estimate of $950.00. I would be interested in what you have learned.
    NormanClayture
  • kowenskowens Posts: 1
    I live in Framingham MA and have a 2001 A6 2.7T and have oil leaks in the turbos. The dealer tells me $2,000 to pull the engine and then another $4,000 - $6,000 to fix the problem depending upon what they find. Anyone know of a indy dealer around Framingham MA that I could bring it to? $6-$8 K sounds outrageous and I would like to get another opinion. Thanks for the help...
  • amazeramazer Posts: 2
    I'm a newbie to this forum, so I'm especially looking forward to your feedback. I did a search for this topic, but didn't find anything similar previously.

Well, here's my problem. I bought my dad's 2001 A6 2.7 with Tiptronic last summer. It's a great car and has only 68,000 miles. But a couple of months ago I noticed that when I started the car in the morning and put it in Drive, the engine revs would speed up to 2000-2200 rpm, while the car would barely accelerate. It was as if the tranny was not engaged with the engine properly and only a tiny amount of power was going to the wheels.

As soon as this happens (virtually every morning at start-up), I ease off the gas pedal for a second or two, then press down again. At this point, the car drives perfectly for the rest of the day. If I drive somewhere, park it for an hour or twon, then start it again, it drives just fine.

Lately, though, the problem has become a bit more pronounced. Sometimes I can rev the just-started engine to 2800 rpm with hardly any power going to the wheels.

My mechanic checked bulletins and found that Audi redersigned the torque converter because the original design was prone to an internal seal leaking, which would cause this problem.

He called a buddy who works in the Parts dept. at the local Audi dealer who said "Yup, that's the problem", and that they stock these new replacement torque converters (at $970 a pop), since they sell one or two a week to suckers like me.

Though Audi recognizes that this is a problem, it doesn't do anything to mitigate the expense of replacing defective converters. By the way, labor is estimated to take 17 hours, since the tranny has to be removed.. so the total deal is like $2,100+... and that's using my own skilled and very fair mechanic. God knows what the dealer would charge.

Have any of you Audi owners heard of this issue or experienced it first hand? What do you think of this situation- is Audi being fair or am I being unreasonable in feeling a bit pissed off?

Thanks,

Andy
    Hollis, NH
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I'm trying to find a good source online for Audi parts. Particularly, I'm looking for air filters, cabin filters, oil filters, and spark plugs. I'm wanting to order a Bentley manual for it, but in the meantime, I have a few questions:
    1. Can somebody direct me to where the cabin filter is? I suspect is under the hood in the cowl, but want to make sure.
    2. Also, is the oil filter best accessed from under the car? I suspect I have to remove those plastic panels, but want to confirm.
    3. Where are the attachment points for the plastic covers on the engine? I want to swap spark plugs, but don't want to break anything in the process.

I know, I know. Basic questions, but I'm used to BMW's and Jeeps. :)

-Paul