Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado

Comments

• thenesthenes Member Posts: 9
    Hi sjspor,

Do you use the tow/haul switch when towing your popup? I would think that would help alot when pulling your popup. I have the same truck except with an open 3.73 axle. I've yet to tow anything (sold our Jayco popup before I bought the truck). I've toyed with the idea of buying a small travel trailer or a small Trail-Lite travel trailer and was wondering how the V-6 would perform. The V-6 is adequate for the flat country where we live but I've been extremely disappointed with the rattling also. In hindsight, I wish I had bought a Tundra.

BTW, I had a Cherokee before this truck and it performed excellent when towing the popup. I gave it to my Dad and it is still running strong with 190,000 miles on the 4.0 straight six.

Thanks
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    I have an HD (ext cab, 4WD) with Bilsteins. 54.99 per copy. I was disappointed; too much hype. Not that they're a bad shock, but to me they're over priced. I would have gladly paid 60 or 70 if they'd lived up to the hype. Just one opinion; save your money.

-David
  • mpurpmpurp Member Posts: 16
    Hi sjspor,
    Thanks for your reply. I also have three kids, Do they fit okay in the cab? So far I have been using my Toyota Sienna mini Van to tow my pop up. It does fine but I try to keep the trailor light and I have not taken it up to the mountians yet. Also do you tow your trailor with the ball mounted on the bumper or did you get a towing package with the tow hitch?

Thanks
  • sjsporsjspor Member Posts: 10
    mpurp... The kids fit fine in the back, thats the reason I purchase another Chevrolet. My 16 year will moan about sitting back there, but it works ok.
  • canoe_toocanoe_too Member Posts: 1
    Hey all,

Just joined and want to jump right into a question. I have been looking at the Pro-Tec box option on a new Silverado but have heard now from two salesman that it is no longer available to order. I can find some still in existing inventory but then I can't customize the other items I want.

Has anyone heard about the discontinuation of the Pro-Tec?

Does anyone have it and what do you think of it?

Has anyone just did a spray in liner? What was the ball park cost? Any advice on doing this?

Thanks all.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I have had one since april 00. Cost was $379 (i think its been awhile).
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I had the Line-X spray in liner done to my ext-cab short box Silverado in May 2001.
    Over-the-rail cost me $495, and that's about average for here in the Seattle area.
    No problems with it, and I'd do it again in a minute.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    Looking at pricing this AM and I noticed "Destination Charge" is now $815 on a Silverado X-cab. What I don't understand is a heavier Avalanche is $790! An in-between Dodge QC is $795. Guess it's cheaper to ship from Mexico (Av). I don't where the Dodge is built.
    dont feel bad. It went up $25 the wk after i ordered. Dealer sucked up the price. Also the plant was less than 30 min away from the dealer. I could have picked it up myself and saved shipping cost.
  • bowtieman1bowtieman1 Member Posts: 38
    The pro-tec box has been dis-continued. The last one was made about two months ago. If you are going to get a spray in liner spend the money and get a good one . The Rhino liner is a good one. You will pay a little more but the little extra is worth it.

My drop in liner with a rubber mat works great. All I haul is dead deer, geese, ducks, lumber and firewood.
  • tractorsam1tractorsam1 Member Posts: 1
    i'm considering purchasing an 03 2500 hd with 6.0 eng. 4.10 gears and auto trans. can anyone tell about the performance of this pkg. such as the ability to maintain speed up long gradual inclines without downshifting. is this a good engine? does it have more than average power? should i opt for the 8.0 the truck wont be used for towing. any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I have a 2500 with the 6.0L engine and 3.73 gears. It always has a popup camper in the bed and still pulls long, gradual inclines without shifting. With the camper, I think the 4.10 would be a better choice. Without a camper I think you'll be happy with the power of the 6.0 engine.

We noticed a significant increase in power after about 10K miles. Before that, it needed a downshift on some hills that it will now pull.

Enjoy your truck!

Mike L
  • texsuntexsun Member Posts: 23
    It depends on whether your concerned more about power or gas mileage. Want higher gas mileage, go with the 6.0, more power, go with the 8.1.

You say you're not towing, so I would go with the 6.0 with 3.73 gears if available. It will be plenty of truck!

I have a 6.0, auto, 3.42 gears. Plenty of power and reasonable mileage. 14 city/16 hwy
    a 6.0 with 3.42 gears???

Are you sure about that?
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    I have a 01 Chevy x-cab LD 6.0, 4:10s. I plow,
    tow a 29 ft. camper, and a 32 ft. wellcraft
    boat on a BIG hydralic trailer (Just to get it
    from storage to the water for the summer. Cops
    don't bother ya in the 1000 islands about over-
    width--length BS.) I just push the tow haul
    button and let that bad boy do its thing.
    Well its snowing cats and dogs here for days in
    Syracuse NY area...Time to plow some more snow !
    Make some $$$$$$.................geo
    ryanbab - ya got me!

Should have known you or obyone would. The 3.42 was on my '99 Sierra SLT EXT SB, with 5.3, auto.

Knew as soon as I posted that didn't look right, but was on my way out the door to work....(my excuse anyway)

My '02 Sierra 1500 HD CC SLT SB has the 6.0, auto, 3.42 w/locking rear diff - and plenty of power pulling a 26' Trail-Lite across the hills of central Texas. :-)
  • balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    Does anybody hear squeaking from the steering
    wheel when you are turning it .. its sounds like
    rubber on rubber squeaking noise ?

Thanks in advance!
  • am70043am70043 Member Posts: 22
    I have a 02 silverado ls ext.cab with a very faint and intermittent steering wheel squeak. Most probably something is not lubricated correctly.
    steering wheel squeek = steering shaft needs lubing
    Mine started after the dealer replaced the steering shaft at the 22,500 service. But a rub sound, not squeak. Back at 6000 miles, they jacked the left side up level by adjusting the left torsion bar - left side sat 1 inch lower than right. After that fix, I had a 'knock' when turning hard right or left. They lubed it and it went away for a while. Came back and I just dealt with it in between lubes. Last visit (25,000)they lubed the shaft, but rub is still there.

Ryan - as to #546 - I have 3.42 on the brain. I have 3.73 gears, not 3.42 with the 6.0.
    I notice while looking at the new Silverados Ext cab that gas milage is the same for both 4.8 and 5.3 liter engines, 15 city, 20 Freeway. Does any body know how much less MPG one gets with the 4.10 gears compared with the 3.73 gears. I will not be towing more then 4000 lbs fully loaded a few times a year, so I guess 3.73 gear would be ok. But the extra 1000 lbs of towing capacity with 4.10 gears would be nice to have.
    15 city and 20 highway??? Is that for a 2wd?

I am currently getting 10-12 city and 12-15 highway. My highest milage is 19.5 this past summer through the mountains in NC. THis is on a 5.3 with the 3.73 Z71. Also if you are going to go with larger tires get the 4.10 to compensate.
    Mileage for 3.73 and 4.10 final drive will be about the same.

It takes the same amount of power to move the truck with either gear; the same amount of power takes the same amount of fuel; the cpu will control the fuel injection to optimize the mixture.

The 4.10 may deliver slightly (0.1mpg) lower economy due to higher friction losses from higher engine speeds. Of course, the 4.10 may deliver slightly better economy (0.1mpg) due operating closer to the torque peak. All in all, it is a wash and the mileage varies more from identical truck to identical truck than it varies from final drive ratio.

Mike L
    Thanks for the reply, Mike did you mean to say that it take the same amount of energy to move the truck. It has been years since I have been in school but for Power it is the energy transfer per unit of time. I have to think about this some more...
  • mtrammellmtrammell Member Posts: 125
    If you want power/torque AND mileage, get the Duramax.

Mike .T.
    It doesn't make any difference if you want to think about the amount of energy to go 65mph, or the amount of power to drive that speed for 3 hours. The answer is the same.

Mike L
  • babybbabyb Member Posts: 18
    My father recently purchased a 2003 2500HD crew cab, long box. It is in for the third time with the 4X4 Service light on. Has anyone had any problems like this? Chevy cannot see to find anything to fix it.
  • suburbansrulesuburbansrule Member Posts: 34
    Does anyone else have this set-up? The best mileage I can get is 8 around town and 10 on the open road, I had a 97 454 auto 3.73 4x4 and could get 16 on the open road, just wondering if anyone else seems to have the same problem? Thanks, Suburbansrule
  • hknoepflehknoepfle Member Posts: 45
    I am getting ready to change the air filter in my 2000 2500 rado. I would welcome any input on whether it is worth the bucks to get a performance filter vs an OEM filter??
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Black '00 2500 rado. If you're planning on waiting another three years to change again, I'd say it doesnt really matter which one to get cause they both going to be plugged anyway.
    I installed the K&N Generation II FIPK in my '02 1500HD and definitely think it was worth the bucks for improved performance.($250.00)

My brother installed the K&N factory replacement ($45.00) in his '02 1500 HD 'Rado and is impressed with the improvement over OEM. OEM filter from dealer is appr $32.00. K&N is worth the extra $.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    in OEM vs K&N when new. But as they get dirty the K&N will flow more air than OEM.
    have you talked to our pnemonia stricken friend lately? :) Wonder if that cabin filter ever got changed???
  • hammickshammicks Member Posts: 1
    I have had a 2500HD Duramax Diesel 2002 since 6/02. Since then I have experienced intermittent power steering & brake failure simultaneously. This has occurred 4 times. The truck has been towed once. The other 3 times the truck has done this, I have turned the truck off, rocked the wheel back and forth and finally power steering & brakes "kick in."

The local dealer has replaced the power steering pump once. Their answer as to why this has happened 3 times since is that "the line is contaiminated."

Has anyone ever had something like this to happen? Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • arttartt Member Posts: 14
    Letter received 2/27/03 FYI.

Central Office
    Chevrolet Motor Division
    General Motors Corporation
    100 Renaissance Center, P.O. Box 100, Detroit, Ml 48265-1000
    C99066E
    February, 2003

Dear Chevrolet Customer:

As the owner of a 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 or 2001 model year S-10,
    Blazer, Astro, C/K Pickup, Tahoe, Suburban, Chevy Van/Express, 'P' or 'W4'
    truck that is registered in California, equipped with a 4.3L V6, 5.0L V8 or
    5.7L V8 engine, and California emissions, your satisfaction with our product
    is very important to us. Your vehicle was provided with a new vehicle
    warranty, which covers certain parts of your vehicle for a specified period.
    These warranties are of considerable value to you if you should experience
    problems with your vehicle.
    This letter is intended to make you aware that some 1996, 1997, 1998,
    1999, 2000 and 2001 model year S-10, Blazer, Astro, C/K Pickup, Tahoe,
    Suburban, Chevy Van/Express, 'P' or 'W4' trucks that are registered in
    California, equipped with a 4.3L V6, 5.0L V8 or 5.7L V8 engine, and
    California emissions, may experience a "Service Engine Soon" light, misfire,
    rough idle or hard start due to a deposit build-up on the Sequential Central
    Port Fuel Injector (SCPI) poppet valve(s). The deposit build-up may cause
    injector poppets to stick closed. Certain fuels have been found to interact
    with the SCPI system to cause the deposits.
    This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer as a
    result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as
    described above.
    What We To address the above-mentioned condition, General
    Have Done: Motors is providing special warranty coverage to owners
                   of applicable vehicles registered in California. If the SCPI
                   system failure condition occurs on your 1996, 1997, 1998,
                   1999, 2000 or 2001 model year S-10, Blazer, Astro, C/K
                   Pickup, Tahoe, Suburban, Chevy Van/Express, 'P' or 'W4'
                   truck within ten (10) years of the date your vehicle was
                   originally placed in service or 200,000 miles, whichever
                   occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no
                   charge. Other conditions that may cause similar or
                   different driveability complaints, or cause a Malfunction
                   Indicator Light illumination, that are not a result of SCPI
                   system failures are not covered by this special policy.
                   However, you will not be charged for performing a system
                   check when determining that the SCPI system is not the
                   cause. Any repairs that would be necessary due to other
                   conditions would be your responsibility, if you elect to
                   have your dealer provide the service.

What You Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special
    Should Do: coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer.
                   You may want to call the service department at your
                   dealer to find out how long they will need to have your
                   vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a
                   time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your
                   dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock.
                   Keep this letter with your other important glovebox
                   literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: If you have already paid for some or all of the cost to have
                   the SCPI fuel system repaired or replaced, and you have
                   not received reimbursement under a Vehicle Service
                   Contract, and the in-service time and mileage was less
                   than 10 years and 200,000 miles, you should write to
                   Chevrolet Motor Division, P.O. Box 33170, Detroit,
                   Michigan, 48232-5170 to seek reimbursement. Please
                   provide your original paid receipts or invoices verifying the
                   repair, the amount charged, proof of payment, the date of
                   payment of those charges and proof of ownership of the
                   vehicle at the time of the repair. This information must be
                   provided within two (2) years after the date on which you
                   paid for the repair or within two (2) years of the date of
                   this Special Policy Bulletin, whichever is greater.
                   If the work was done by someone other than a GM
                   dealership, the amount of reimbursement will generally be
                   limited to the amount that the repair would have cost GM
                   to have it completed by a GM dealership.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer
    or please contact the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-
    1020. The deaf, hearing impaired, or speech impaired should call 1-800-
    833-2438 (Utilizes Telecommunication Devices for the Deaf/Text
    Telephones, TDD/TTY).

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have
    taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our
    products.
                                          Chevrolet Motor Division
                                          General Motors Corporation
    Haven't spoken to him lately. I'd definitely bet against it being changed. In fact I'd bet he misplaced it somewhere by now.
    Does anyone else have this set-up? The best mileage I can get is 8 around town and 10 on the open road, I had a 97 454 auto 3.73 4x4 and could get 16 on the open road, just wondering if anyone else seems to have the same problem? Thanks, Suburbansrule
    I have the X-Cab. Most of my driving is long distance, maybe 15% stop & go. Currently at 24K. 11.5 combined. The closer I get to all hyway, the closer it gets to 13. I've averaged as much as 16 at high altitude. I'd definitely look into having it checked out. Pulling the plugs or having your exhaust analyzed to determine mixture correctness seems like a good place to start. How many miles on your truck?

-David
  • hknoepflehknoepfle Member Posts: 45
    I believe that driving conditions and milage are primary factors in air filter performance and longevity. So.... if I wait until, whenever, to change my filter 'trust me, I know what I am doing", quote detective Dick! Later, Mr. K
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    '01 2500HD x-cab 4x4 8.1 Allison 4.10 I always get over 13 hwy.I get about 10 combined(about 50/50)I've never driven just in town but I'm sure it wouldn't be good with my lead foot and all.

kip
        BTW, yesterday I installed a set of Bosch Platinum +4 plugs (4459). I could tell right away they weren't going to work, running rough all the way through 2000 RPM. So I re-installed the originals. They, the Bosch, appear not to reach as far into the combustion chamber as the OEM Denso TJ14R-P15's. Anyone know the correct Bosch number for this application? Or another favorite upgrade? I suppose I'm out 50 bucks at Autozone,....beyond the 90 day return period. Thanks.

-David

In checking the Bosch site it appears they don't even offer the +4 for any vehicle newer than,.... 2000!!?
    I had returned the whole set to the manufacturer after 20k to have them inspect it. They had cleaned and returned the plugs (no charge) except for the postage to send it to them. They aren't cheap but are suppose to last a long time....
  • black_silverblack_silver Member Posts: 39
    About a month ago I finally decided I needed a proper truck to tow our RV, so traded my sweetheart 2001 Silverado 1500 LT for a 2003 Silverado 2500HD LT. After a month, here are some comments.

Descriptions of the two trucks:

2001 Silverado 2WD 1500 LT, 5.3L, 3.73 locking rear.

2003 Silverado 2WD 2500HD LT, DuraMax/Allison, 3.73 locking rear.

First, the obvious --- the new truck is a towing horse! The DuraMax just rocks pulling my 8000# RV with effortless ease, and the Allison tranny is pure magic, especially in mountain-style driving. Blows away the Power-Stroke and Cummins competitors. This could be the subject of a whole message thread.

Fuel mileage is WAY better than expected, 20-22MPG empty, and 13MPG towing 5th-wheel RV.

Here, I want to compare the changes from 2001 to 2003 in the rest of the truck.

1) The redesigned front end is simply ugly, REALLY UGLY! What a shame.

2) Both trucks are LT trim level, but there are a lot of changes, some good, some bad.

GOOD: Dual zone climate control. Bose speaker system. XM-Radio option. Driver info center. Two-driver personalization. Power-fold mirrors (great entering car-washes).

BAD: Overhead console trimmed back to almost nothing. Cheap plastic (vs chrome) trim on outside mirrors. Body side moldings shortened to just the doors, instead of extending back to rear wheel well. Tail-light assemblies not as nice as 2001 -- cheap looking.

But hey, for towing it simply is perfect.

Hans
  • dgore1dgore1 Member Posts: 20
    I've got the same setup. 02 2500HD CrewCab SB 4x4 w/ 8.1/Allison and 3.73 Ltd Slip. I bought it new and it currently has 18,000 miles. I check the milage regularly. On the highway it gets 14.5 mpg. Combined (70%hwy/30%city streets) it drops to 11 mpg. I get this milage like clockwork. I only calculate milage on full fillups and I don't fudge with my gallons (always the same number of clicks at the same station). If you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me at dgore2@yahoo.com.
    Anyone here using an exhaust brake on their Duramax? How do you like it? Or does the Allison transmission just make them a moot point?

Hans
    All other things being equal,

1) What makes a 2500 different from a 1500HD?

2) What makes a 2500HD different from a 2500?

3) Is a 3500 just a 2500HD with duals?

Hans
    Thank you guys for the info, David I have 18K on my truck, bought it new but have never got any mileage to speak of, the dealer I got the truck from doesn't deal many HD trucks so his comment is it's a HD it won't get mileage. I'd do the Toyota jump if I could get 10/14. I've been a GM guy my whole life and gotta believe something is just quite not right with this truck. Thanks again, Dean
    By "these", I assume you mean Bosch +4s?

BTW to follow up on #571; Yes, AutoZone did accept the return. Miguel Prada (God bless his patient soul) spent half an hour trying to find the right plug, finally concluding that the one's I had bought were indeed correct, but allowed the return based on my dissatisfaction. Next day, I'm talking to another salesman and happen to mention the +4s and how they didn't work. He says the misfiring is common when their first installed; He's seen it a lot and that I should give them a couple of hundred miles trial run. Excessive carbon build-up around the spark plug hole is the reputed cause, which makes a lot of sense; The main reason I'm junking the originals is because of a crusty deposit on the electrodes. Sooo, I go back to Miguel........Tomorrow they go back in.
    Sigh,...life is trial and error. Sometimes it seems mostly error.

Also, FYI: Chevron mid-grade (89 octane, California blend). Last fill-up, $2.139 per.

-David
  • rabbitrunrabbitrun Member Posts: 9
    Just curious if everyone that had this problem has resolved it with GM? Seems no-one is talking about it now. I have a 2002 2500 HD w/8.1/Allison.
    And yes I do have what GM is calling "Piston Tip".
    Any input would be welcome.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.