Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado

Comments

• noobie1noobie1 Posts: 326
        BTW, yesterday I installed a set of Bosch Platinum +4 plugs (4459). I could tell right away they weren't going to work, running rough all the way through 2000 RPM. So I re-installed the originals. They, the Bosch, appear not to reach as far into the combustion chamber as the OEM Denso TJ14R-P15's. Anyone know the correct Bosch number for this application? Or another favorite upgrade? I suppose I'm out 50 bucks at Autozone,....beyond the 90 day return period. Thanks.

-David

In checking the Bosch site it appears they don't even offer the +4 for any vehicle newer than,.... 2000!!?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I had returned the whole set to the manufacturer after 20k to have them inspect it. They had cleaned and returned the plugs (no charge) except for the postage to send it to them. They aren't cheap but are suppose to last a long time....
  • About a month ago I finally decided I needed a proper truck to tow our RV, so traded my sweetheart 2001 Silverado 1500 LT for a 2003 Silverado 2500HD LT. After a month, here are some comments.

Descriptions of the two trucks:

2001 Silverado 2WD 1500 LT, 5.3L, 3.73 locking rear.

2003 Silverado 2WD 2500HD LT, DuraMax/Allison, 3.73 locking rear.

First, the obvious --- the new truck is a towing horse! The DuraMax just rocks pulling my 8000# RV with effortless ease, and the Allison tranny is pure magic, especially in mountain-style driving. Blows away the Power-Stroke and Cummins competitors. This could be the subject of a whole message thread.

Fuel mileage is WAY better than expected, 20-22MPG empty, and 13MPG towing 5th-wheel RV.

Here, I want to compare the changes from 2001 to 2003 in the rest of the truck.

1) The redesigned front end is simply ugly, REALLY UGLY! What a shame.

2) Both trucks are LT trim level, but there are a lot of changes, some good, some bad.

GOOD: Dual zone climate control. Bose speaker system. XM-Radio option. Driver info center. Two-driver personalization. Power-fold mirrors (great entering car-washes).

BAD: Overhead console trimmed back to almost nothing. Cheap plastic (vs chrome) trim on outside mirrors. Body side moldings shortened to just the doors, instead of extending back to rear wheel well. Tail-light assemblies not as nice as 2001 -- cheap looking.

But hey, for towing it simply is perfect.

Hans
  • dgore1dgore1 Posts: 20
    I've got the same setup. 02 2500HD CrewCab SB 4x4 w/ 8.1/Allison and 3.73 Ltd Slip. I bought it new and it currently has 18,000 miles. I check the milage regularly. On the highway it gets 14.5 mpg. Combined (70%hwy/30%city streets) it drops to 11 mpg. I get this milage like clockwork. I only calculate milage on full fillups and I don't fudge with my gallons (always the same number of clicks at the same station). If you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me at dgore2@yahoo.com.
  • Anyone here using an exhaust brake on their Duramax? How do you like it? Or does the Allison transmission just make them a moot point?

Hans
  • All other things being equal,

1) What makes a 2500 different from a 1500HD?

2) What makes a 2500HD different from a 2500?

3) Is a 3500 just a 2500HD with duals?

Hans
  • Thank you guys for the info, David I have 18K on my truck, bought it new but have never got any mileage to speak of, the dealer I got the truck from doesn't deal many HD trucks so his comment is it's a HD it won't get mileage. I'd do the Toyota jump if I could get 10/14. I've been a GM guy my whole life and gotta believe something is just quite not right with this truck. Thanks again, Dean
    By "these", I assume you mean Bosch +4s?

BTW to follow up on #571; Yes, AutoZone did accept the return. Miguel Prada (God bless his patient soul) spent half an hour trying to find the right plug, finally concluding that the one's I had bought were indeed correct, but allowed the return based on my dissatisfaction. Next day, I'm talking to another salesman and happen to mention the +4s and how they didn't work. He says the misfiring is common when their first installed; He's seen it a lot and that I should give them a couple of hundred miles trial run. Excessive carbon build-up around the spark plug hole is the reputed cause, which makes a lot of sense; The main reason I'm junking the originals is because of a crusty deposit on the electrodes. Sooo, I go back to Miguel........Tomorrow they go back in.
    Sigh,...life is trial and error. Sometimes it seems mostly error.

Also, FYI: Chevron mid-grade (89 octane, California blend). Last fill-up, $2.139 per.

-David
  • Just curious if everyone that had this problem has resolved it with GM? Seems no-one is talking about it now. I have a 2002 2500 HD w/8.1/Allison.
    And yes I do have what GM is calling "Piston Tip".
    Any input would be welcome.
    Thanks
  • michgndrmichgndr Posts: 160
    Hiya, folks. Haven't been here in a while...too much work.

I'm looking at a 2500 for my move to Alaska. Question. How are the 2500s for mileage (6.0 V8) and what difference does the 3.73 vs 4.10 axle ratio make, if any on mileage?

Many thanks. How's that rig, Ryan?
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Posts: 350
    Hi everyone - I usually hang out on the Mazda6 board (as you can prolly tell from my name), but my husband owns a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 pickup (not the Z71 version). And since Edmunds has such good advice from other owners, I thought I'd post here.

Last night he was driving home - about a 40-minute drive - and a "SERVICE 4WD" light was lit the entire time. He did not have 4WD in gear at the time. This is the first time it's happened. In the 4 years he's owned this truck (he got it new in April of '99), he's not had to use 4WD very often - only a few times when we had a lot of snow, etc. (we're in Michigan).

Any ideas, before he takes it in to the dealer?

Thanks!
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    my guess is the 4wd switch. Kinda a common problem on the trucks
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Posts: 350
    Okay - just talked to hubby on the phone. The light was still on this morning, and he was not able to engage the 4WD at all - it stayed in 2WD. Would just the switch not working do this? Or is it a problem with the actual 4WD system?
  • mledtjemledtje Posts: 1,123
    I have a 2500 4x4 w/6.0L engine. I've averaged 14mpg since new. The truck carries a popup camper and weighs 7550#. Worst mileage was around 10 with plenty of lo-range rock crawling. Highest was 16.5 on a trip.

I suspect empty mileage doesn't concern you much - the truck will probably be full for the trip.

The axle ratio makes almost no difference in mileage. With a closed loop system, the computer feeds the right amount of fuel into the engine - and to travel a given speed it takes a certain amount of power. Basically fuel = power. More fuel, more power. Mostly independent of gear ratio. There is slightly more friction losses at higher rpm, but it is only 10% more rpm and those losses are minimal. Reducing speed from 70 to 68 will have more effect on mileage.

Mike L
    Hey, thanks for that info. I just so happens that a truck camper is what brought on our consideration of a 2500. Imagine my surprise last week when I opened the glove box and the sticker on my 1500 said campers were not recommended. Damn!

I found a great candidate rig within 50 miles...right options, right color, right price. It might work!
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    My 2000 Silverado 2500 Ext Cab w/5.3 gets 12 to 16 mpg at best. I have the 3:73 gears and auto trans. Towing my 6600 lb. camper I get 8-10 mpg. Good Luck with the move to Alaska, some day I'll vacation there!
    Love the truck ! My profile lists how I equipped my truck.

Ray T.
    8.1 with piston tip ? So GM has changed the name from piston slap to piston tip now. They will do nothing about it other than a engine component warranty if you scream enough, but there was a post either here or on the "GM Engine Knock" board regarding a guy with a knocker that just turned 100k and still running, so maybe it is just an annoyance after all. My 5.3L knocker has 38k but still running strong.

Ray T.
    Your not likely to find the problem randomly. Tell your husband to take his truck to someone with the proper code scan tool. It's the first step in the diagnostic procedure. The tool plugged into the truck provides the mechanic with a code which is matched to a separate reference indicating what the likely problem is and a diagnostic and repair sequence. Don't worry, it could just be a blown fuse. In fact, if he still has the owner's manual, he should be able to find and check the relevant fuses himself. Mine shows at least two. Let us know how it turns out.

-David
    To repeat black_silver's question...since I'm curious myself. What's the real difference between the 2500 and the 2500HD? What drives the extra capacity?

I've searched the brochure and Chevy's web site (oh so not helpful) and cannot find the answer.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    2500HD has a one ton rated frame.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    The transfer case is different, and the frame is
    taller in a HD so they can squeeze in the diesel
    and allison trans. Thus the raised hood in the
    early model HDs. I wonder what they did to the
    03s as they don't have one. Maybe the front end
    change in 03 did the trick. Because last years you
    couldn't get the allie trans. with a 8.1 in the Burbs.
     either...Not sure about 03s tho................geo
    there's a substantial difference in GVWR and payload capacities, driven by bigger powerplant (Duramax, 8.1L) and transmission (Allison 1000, ZF 6-speed) options. I've never looked under the rear of a 2500, but look at the HD differential. Massive. If the 2003 brochure doesn't have all the above data, you might look for a 2001 or 2002; They do. The 2001 even has the towing capacities, both ball hitch and fifth wheel, for all models and configurations. I don't know why these were omitted later.

-David
  • The 2500HD shares the same frame and running gear (heavier driveshaft/rear end) with the 3500. The 'regular' 2500 (and 1500HD) have a 3/4 ton frame, and the 1500 has a 1/2 ton frame.
    Excellent information there. Given similarly equipped 2500 or 2500HD (6L V8, HD auto trans), does the mileage differ appreciably?

Drove both a 3.73 and 4.10 axle ratio truck today. Think I like the 3.73 better. Given the amount of real "work" my trucks do, I just don't see myself needing the 4.10.

Now if the dealer can scare up a rig with the right options.....

Thanks again.
  • Ray, yes it is a knocker! Took it in to my local dealer, they called me and said that GM will give me 6 year/100,000 mile engine component warranty. This was my first visit in for this problem.
    I am now thinking about asking them if GM will replace the engine. What do you think?
    Thanks, Steve
    As to axle ratios: Be aware, if you intend to install larger diameter tires, throttle sensitivity (acceleration) will be affected. I have the HD/3.73. After 15K, BFG 265/75s were added. I wouldn't have expected much difference jumping up just one tire size, but the results were disappointing. I wish I had gone with 4.10s.

-David
    They will not replace your engine. That's why you got the "engine component warranty". In case you didn't know GM Customer Service is a sub contractor, hired by GM to do the dirty work with handing out these warranties on the knockers and any other problem you have. I wrote letters to GM directly and got 0 responses from them, that shows how much they care about customer service !
    I also just bought a 7yr/100k extended warranty to keep me covered the duration I plan on keeping this truck but it was NOT thru GM, they already got my money on a defective truck ! I like my truck but GM has no idea how to properly treat it's customers, they may learn the hard way eventually.

Ray T.
  • carlccarlc Posts: 3
    Does anyone know what changes were made the the 6.0L engine to get it to 345HP in the escalade. What about the 6.0L in the SS.

CarlC
This discussion has been closed.