Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado

Comments

• steelwheelssteelwheels Member Posts: 1
    Also have had noise in dash. Dealer found it to be a defective Intermediate steering shaft. They have had this numerous times and have said that there is a tech bulletin out on this.
  • diablo4diablo4 Member Posts: 40
    Don't you think silverados will get a bump in HP to compete with the nissian titan and dodge ram with their hemi.The titan has i think 305 or 340 HP and like 370lbs. of torque.dodge has 345HP and 365lbs.So i think silverado needs to bump there HP from 300HP to 340 or 350 and 380lbs.Does anybody know if they are going to get a bump in HP.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    the 04 5.3 will have 295HP
  • diablo4diablo4 Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for the info.Do you know if the 6.0L will get a bump in HP.
  • fatladfatlad Member Posts: 3
    I have an 00 Silver ado 4.3 long bed, 2 wheel drive that shakes from 55 mph and on. I have read about a lot of the same thing in this forum, but haven't found an actual fix yet amoung all the pages. Can anybody help? Other than the bad vibration I have no complaints with the rest of the truck.
  • caedward2caedward2 Member Posts: 45
    Could you please describe what the noise in the dashboard sounds like?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    What is the date of manufacture for your truck? The date is located on the driver's door.

There is a TSB out to replace the rack and pinion due to it causing the excessive vibration. Depending on the date of manufacture or VIN.
  • caedward2caedward2 Member Posts: 45
    My '03 Silverado was built 4-03 in Canada.

I can hear something loose rattling in the dashboard area - primarily over bumpy roads.
    The date of manufacture is 9/99. The VIN is 1GCEC14W8YE169151. How do I find the TSB's that apply to my truck? I know nothing about TSB's.
    Here's a brief synopsis of the TSB.

Steering/Suspension - Front End Vibration

File In Section: 02 - Steering

Bulletin No.: 00-02-35-004

Date: June, 2000

TECHNICAL

Subject:
    Steering or Front End Road Induced Vibration
    (Install and Reinforce Revised Steering and Suspension Components)

Models:
    1999-2000 Chevrolet and GMC C1500 Pickup Trucks (Silverado and Sierra)

Built Prior to the VINs

Important: Canadian dealers require PRIOR District Service Manager approval to apply this bulletin.

Condition
    Some customers may comment on a steering wheel or front end vibration.

Cause
    Several components in the front end steering and suspension work in unison to isolate the driver from road irregularities and from road/tire induced vibration. If any of these components are not working effectively, it will affect the other components of the suspension and steering system. Tire and road vibrations may be transmitted to the passenger compartment and steering through the rack and pinion unit. Additionally, the mounting points of the steering rack on the front frame crossmember may be amplifying any road vibrations.

Correction
    In order to dampen unwanted vibration from the steering wheel, the following revisions must be preformed:

^ The tires must be in accordance with Corporate Bulletin Number 99-03-09-002 published August, 1999.
    ^ The steering rack must be replaced with a revised rack.
    ^ The left front steering rack mounting point must be reinforced.
    ^ The lower control arms must be replaced with units incorporating a revised bushing.
    ^ The power steering (PS) pump metering valve must be replaced with a revised fitting.

If you want the rest of the TSB including the VIN that are included for it, email me. My addy is in my profile.

Even though my VIN didnt fall within the specified VINs, the district manager authorized this work done on my truck. Service manager, service advisor, and myself agreed on the test drive after that the TSB that was performed made a world of difference.

Is you truck still under warranty? BTW, TSB means Technical Service Bulletin which are issued to the dealer's service department to aid them in diagnosing problems.
    The info is wonderful! I went to the tsb section and everything was explained, recalls and tsb's! Thanks for your help!
  • bsilerbsiler Member Posts: 30
    According to the owners manual you can go 10.000 miles before the oil is changed. I've always changed oil and filter at 3.000 miles. My partner has a 2002 Duramax and he changes his at 5.000 miles. I'm just wondering why GM says go that far.

Oboyne thanks for the information on the build date
  • cathsmancathsman Member Posts: 3
    Probably in the wrong forum, but can anyone tell me what the meat of the TSB 02-07-30-030 is for this issue? Of course, my dealer has never heard of the issue!
  • balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    I got a '03 5300 Silverado .. I purchased it in
    DEC '02 .. I got 4300 miles on it and my CHANGE
    OIL LIGHT has not come on yet ..

The vehicle is 8 months old - relative low
    mileage 4300 miles ..

Should I wait for the light to come on or should
    I change the OIL ASAP ?

Thoughts ??
  • tommy42tommy42 Member Posts: 70
    Transmission shutter 1- 2shift. Vibration,slip,chuggle.Install generator voltage sense circuit. 2001-2003 Chev/Gmc trucks with 4L60 transmission. TSB came out Oct 2002.
  • stef7stef7 Member Posts: 22
    You really should change your oil ASAP, specially the first time. You will notice that the magnet on the drain plug will be covered with small particules of metal, which is normal for the first few oil changes. I did mine at 500 miles and then every 3000 miles. I think that frequent oil changes are the key for the longevity of an engine.
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    if after your factory warrenty expires they come out with a TSB for your truck do you still have to pay for the repairs even though its a known factory problem???
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    It depends. A lot of times there are what is known as "secret warranties" that will cover the cost of known problems even after the original warranty has expired. Trouble is, the manufacturers don't advertise them, so you have to ferret out the information from other sources.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    They sure do....esp. if its a NHTSA recall !

My friend just got GM to replace her wiper motor (circuit board)and a 4 wd item on her 95 GMC Jimmy.

Its funny tho...I read here and elsewhere about the wiper motor circuit board recall being pushed back to 95? or so. I called dealer. Of course they played DUMB ! I called GMC direct with the vin# and NO problem sir we have 2 recalls on this truck numbers yada, yada. Please write them down and make appt. at dealer. Fix for FREE!
    COOL !!!!!!!!!!!
    The reason they said she didn't get a recall notice is they had her old address from when she bought it new. I gave them her new one.
    I would love to buy it from her... it don't have a scratch on it and LESS than 50K miles..............geo
  • white22white22 Member Posts: 2
    have 2003 Silverado 1500 Z71 4WD--ever since purchasing the trans intermittently bangs between upshift from 3-2, and also clunks from downshift from 2-3. Have been to the dealer twice, they reporgrammed the computer. They think they know what the problem is (talk about the TSB issued).......but its still there....any help?
    Thanks
    But does that also go along with the coverage of TSBs and not just recalls???
    The 2 repairs i posted about were TSBs on that GMC
    Just curious cuz my warrenty is up in 300miles so i want to be sure its all fixed or atleast covered
    Thats right you have a 01......My warranty is still good till next may. Only have 23 k on mine.
    Its on its last plow and tow season this year! Worked that puppy hard..... Its been good to me !New 04 after this winter !
    Prob a GMC this time !..........geo
  • cathsmancathsman Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info! I will get this taken care of ASAP. Sometimes it just amazes me that the "customer service" department in our dealer is as bad as it is!
  • black_silverblack_silver Member Posts: 39
    I changed at oil 7,500 miles because that was when the external filter on the Allison was due, but was still showing 17% oil life at that time.

Diesels turn a lot slower than gas engines, so oil life is correspondingly longer. GM recommends 10,000 but I've decided to cheat and do it at 7,500 as a "nice round number".

Love burning 1.39 diesel when gas is 1.65 around here!
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    Sunday my trans lost 3rd gear. Hit 30 mph and rpms go up truck slows down. BAD.... Dropped it off at he dealer and we will see. Sounds like a clutch pack. Initial estimates $1,400.00
    I am really glad I paid for the GMPP major gaurd. Paid for itself with one visit...
  • bballabballa Member Posts: 56
    Yesterday was the fourth time taking my truck in, mostly for this problem, but this time I had the TSB # 02-06-04-054B high accelerator pedal effort/ poor idle/ idle instability. They claimed it did not apply to my truck and the idle was fine. I convinced them to do the throttle cleaning and guess what??? the idle is now stable and much smoother. More like I remember it when new. I don't think people should have to beg to get their cars fixed and the service people at the dealership should know their vehicles/ problems better than anyone.
  • picklesorviepicklesorvie Member Posts: 28
    Buy a Tundra and help increase the trade deficit.
    OC
  • vsumvsum Member Posts: 1
    Did you find a solution to this problem? If so, please share. Thanks.

sf0383 May 14, 2003 3:53pm
    Can someone give me the numbers to the TSB for the tranny problem and the sticky throttle, need to give them as a referance when i drop my truck off. THANKS
    Tom
  • tommy42tommy42 Member Posts: 70
    TSB 02-07--30-030 Oct 2002 issue.1-2 shift shudder,vibration, slip and chuggle. Install generator voltage sense circit. 2001-2003 Chev/ GMC with 4L60E auto trans. TSB 02 06 040 54B.Came out Jan 2003. Increased accelerator pedal effort. Clean throttle boby&adjust blade. Specified vehicles with 4.8, 5.3 V8. Vins V,T,Z Rpos LR4,LM7 L59.
  • roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
  • roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    My '01 2500HD 6.0L wouldn't start today. It made a rapid loud clicking from the solenoid, but that is it. The batteries/charging system are fine. Does this mean it is the starter itself? Thanks?
  • hknoepflehknoepfle Member Posts: 45
    I am getting ready to replace rear shocks on a 2000 - 2500HD - 6.0 ext cab. Any suggestions... also am looking to find out if I can put 265/75 on that truck w/o rubbing? I was thinking of 235/85 for the taller look. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I know you can do ATLEAST 285 tires on almost any silverado without rubbing. 265 should go on very easy.
  • jrkracejrkrace Member Posts: 32
    Hi All. You will be able to put 265/75/16 on your HD 2500. I have 265/75/16 Michelins on my GMC HD 2500 for plowing snow and have 285/75/16 BFGoodrich All Terrains on 16x8 rims for the summertime. The 265's don't rub at all even with the plow on so you should not have any problems...Good Luck
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Haven't heard anyone mention the need to recalibrate the computer to compensate for the tire change from stock sizing or shift points, speedo will be off. This has been mentioned in past posts. Point to consider when going "UP" in size.
    but that is mainly for large gains...such as 33 or 35" and up tires. I have 285's on my '01 silverado. never recalibrated and the speedo is still acurate. If you go with a lift and much larger tires you have to do that.
    Reading over at other truck sites about speedo error with 285s.
    A few guys claim with 285s the speedo/odo reads UNDER !
    One guy had his checked and claimed that when his truck has 30k the odo will show 25k and he gets LONGER warranty coverage etc.
    (note: those odo #s are off the top of my head as a example.....would post web site but the host will prob. give me the slap down! You guys know where to look! ......... LOL)
    Hey!.......The BBQ in Poughkeepsie is coming fast Oct. 18th. Hope to see ya!
    Party headquarters is Pizza Uno!

Prob. bring the 14 yo this year to sit at the table at the BBQ to sell
    some Hotel and Plowsite merchandise and hand out 1000 Islands tourist
    promo goodies! I get a LOT of business for my motel up there
    from that BBQ deal!
     While I shoot the breeze with the plowhead bros!

Bring the Mini!...The plowheads can put it in the bucket of one of the BIG payloaders!......geo
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    I know Ryan and Obyone had bought those Hypertech ? units to adjust for tire sizes when they went up in size from stock. Need their input on this issue though cuz I'm still runnin the stock tires so far.
    Local GM Dealers says not recommended since it effects a lot of other functions besides speedo.

Sonja: Oct. 18 looking good but Mini will be doing a AutoCross at nearby Stewart Airport the following day so don't want those loaders to pop the tires before I get to play. haha!

Ray T.
    I have had my 285s for over 30K miles. I have had it programmed with the HPIII since day 2 I got em on. No ill effects. I also programmed shift firmness. My speedo is right on (I have checked it against radar)
    Have had the programming on now for over two years with no ill effects. Awhile back I did have one problem. It was when I forgot to remove the programming and the dealer reprogrammed the truck for a couple of the TSB's. Had to send the unit back to Hypertech to be reprogrammed for free. After that no problems at all.

Just last week I installed the '02 Denali tires and rims on the Silverado. So I had to reprogram for the different size yet again.
  • stvokcstvokc Member Posts: 32
    Long or hard starting problems. Chugs/rough idle until you first give it the gas then idles ok. I have 2000, 5.3, 50,000 miles now. Seems to be getting worst with time. Is this injector clogging problems, fuel pressure regulator problem or fuel pump problem? Any ideas?

Engine seems to rattle/ping under light acceleration or constant highway speed with normal engine warmed.
  • ftpftp Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know if the Driver 1 and Driver 2 memory positions are suppose to work on the power extending camper style mirrors? I have a 1500hd LT Crew Cab. Memory works for the seats, but doesn't even show up in the programming menu for the mirrors. The owners manual is not clear and my local dealership is clueless.
    Thanks!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major magazine is hoping to interview prospective buyers who are a) anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Nissan Titan; and/or b) comparing pricing and incentive deals on GM and Ford pickups to decide which to buy. Please respond with your daytime contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com by October 8. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    Question for the trucks. Test drove a Tahoe with a friend of mine- buying for his wife. I fell in love with it and have now decided on 1500HD with the four doors. Here's the dumb question- Tahoe turns around in a single lane street...this truck uses an airport runway. Why the drastic increase in turning circle ????
    was the tahoe 4wd or 2wd? Is the truck 2wd or 4wd? This will make a huge difference.
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    While they seem very similar,
    Th Tahoe does have a shorter wheelbase than the 1500hd.

All Tahoe's these days are set up with the
    same front suspension. The 2wd does not have the front diff and half shafts. Steering knuckle to torsion bars is the same lest there be a differece in the torsion bar rating.
This discussion has been closed.