Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Should timing belt be changed in 60K maitenance of Mazda 626?

sikhandasikhanda Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Mazda
I have a 1997 Mazda-626. The dealer wants to change the timing belt and driving belt during 60K mile maintenance service. Another mechanic said that there is no need to change these. Does anybody know? Thanks.

Comments

• paul29paul29 Member Posts: 178
    Depends on where you operate vehicle, in Canada change t belt at 60k miles. In Cal. and Mass. change at 105k miles , every where else at 60k miles. This info should be in your owners manual under scheduled maintenance.If you have a/c you have two" driving "belts.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Do your timing belt. The reason why Cal and Mass have different intervals is because of a law, not because the belt is different. There is a law in Cal and Mass that states something to the effect that you can't require "major service" before 105,000 miles.
  • billt5billt5 Member Posts: 2
    do the belts last that long
    question.the information I gave came from the 97 Mazda shop manual. Perhaps a call to Mazda USA ?
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    Now I admit to a bias here. I have a Mechanic who worked on Mazdas for 20 years before setting up an independent shop. When I asked him about this issue he clearly recommended only the 60K interval. While the engine is non-interference he has seen engines destroyed when the belt broke at high speeds. $300 vs at least $3000, and probably poorer performance after the overhaul. No question to me.

I find it funny that the Gods in legislatures believe that they can change reality simply by mandating it. Leave auto maintenence to the professionals and the free market.
    Which engine do you have? The 4 cyl is interference , the V6 is non-interference.
  • mudflatmudflat Member Posts: 47
    The belts can last much longer than this, but if you don't change it you'll get paranoid worrying whether you should have every time you take the car on the road.
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    The Gates Timing Belt Guide http://www.gates.com/index.cfm?location_id=540 shows that both the I-4 and V-6 for your car should have the belt replaced at 60000 miles Federal, or 105000 miles California.
  • czanfardino1czanfardino1 Member Posts: 8
    Can somebody help me out.
    I have 95 mazda 626- 6 cyl. with 152k miles,it is leaking power steering fluid on driver side, it looks like it's coming from the rack and pinion suspension.Can some how be fixed or do i need to replace the whole rack.( auto zone $253 + 3 to 400 for installation) dealer said they want over a $1000 for part and installation
    Any suggestion?
    Thanks
    I would apprecciate any input
This discussion has been closed.