Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
    Wappingers Subaru is not the greatest, I bought my 2001 Legacy GT there, but under no circumstance go to the Subaru dealer in Brewster (the name escapes me right now).
    They did not know how to align a headlight.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Ok, Stephen, where do you live?
    I am in Beekman/Poughquag (but Hopewell mailing address). Are you local?

Steve
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I pay $45 for a mobil 1 oil change at my local quaker state joint. They've been doing oil changes on my cars for years and actually know what they are doing. Pretty amazing.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Lyn - cracked heated mirror? Does your insurance cover it?

If not, try that shop you mentioned, but be sure to test the heating element once it's installed and before you pay.

-juice
  • cassmanducassmandu Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking of buying a 5 spd 98 Legacy L with 52K miles on it. Can anyone make any recommendations, warnings, play devils advocate, etc...

I would really appreciate any comments. I want to make sure this is the right move

Thanks
  • crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    The diff on a 4eat auto is separate from the tranny. It is in the tranny housing, but uses it's own fluid GL5 80/90 IIRC. I think your mechanic may be a bit fooled here. My Forester's original tranny fluid was a brown color very similar to the color of gear lube, not red as most all tranny fluids are. Bet that's why he's saying your diff's leaking into the tranny. If it was seems to me it would be reading over full not under. Check your fluid when warm following the instructions in the owners manual. Add some if you need to & have your dealer verify it. As Doug said they won't give a darn what a non dealer mechanic has said.

Good luck
    Actually, that's a good choice. It should even still have a little powertrain warranty left.

98 Legacys had the Phase I DOHC engine. Those run on 87 octane and make 165hp, 162lb-ft. It's the same engine in my Forester.

Do a VIN check with carfax, or call 800-SUBARU3 and ask them for info. The good news is any flaws on Subarus tend to be obvious. Check the engine smoothness, the clutch take-up, the alignment. Listen for axle whine and wheel hub noise. If it rides smoothly and quietly, all those things should be fine.

-juice
    he is looking at a 98 Legacy L

2.2l SOHC 137hp engine. My dad has a 97 legacy L and it's been near flawless in 90K miles. Great car.

-mike
    Oops, my goof, that's right. The 2000 and later models shared the 2.5l.

The 2.2l is still relatively torquey and gets good mileage.

-juice
    on the highway is what my dad can get with his L.

-mike
    Wow, my record in the Forester is 30.4mpg, but only once. We'll see how our 2.5l Legacy does, but 24.6mpg with A/C ain't bad.

-juice
    My dad's is a slush-box and he makes me look like a snail! :)

-mike
    That's right, I forgot it was an automatic. That mileage is great, then.

-juice
  • cassmanducassmandu Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the replies. They gave me some confirmation that I am making the right choice. I am having a mechanic check it out tonight. If it goes well, I will be a proud subaru owner
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    I've seem this asked, but not answered. So here goes. Legacy & Outback Service Manual MY 2000, Section 1.5

Pad thickness including back metal - mm(in)
    Front Rear
    Standard 17 (0.67) 14 (0.55)
    Service limit 7.5 (0.295) 6.5 (0.256)
    Service limit 1.5 (0.059) 1.5 (0.059)
    w/o back metal

Brake disc thickness - mm (in)
    Front Rear
    Standard 24 (0.94) 10 (0.39)
    Service limit 22 (0.87) 8.5 (0.335)

I've double checked them to be sure I didn't make a typo. Please don't flame me if they don't look right.
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    I missed the question. The numbers look accurate to me.
    Thanks for looking those up, BTW.

-juice
    Ok folks need your input. I'm looking to do the diffy and MT fluids in the XT6, and I'm leaning toward Redline. Anyone out there have any other suggestions or reccomendations? Also which ones in the redline line should I use?

MT: 70w80 GL-4 or 75w90 GL-4
    Diffy: 75w90NS (90wt) or 75w140NS (140wt) or Shockproof Gear Oil

These are all from redlineoil.com

Thanks for the input.

-mike
    I think they specify 75w90 for both but I'll let the experts chime in.

-juice
  • shortlidshortlid Member Posts: 50
    Ok in the trany put Redline 75W-90NS make sure it is NS or yyou WILL have syncro problems. In the rear diff. you can put regular 75W-90. Anything else will have problems belive me I have tried!!
  • postmodernpostmodern Member Posts: 38
    Bummer -- checked with the insurance agent this morning and side mirrors aren't covered by glass coverage even if it's only to replace the glass mirror itself. Replacement would be covered under collision. My deductible is $500 and it would be considered a chargeable accident, so this will be an out of pocket expense for me.

Next, I called Triumph Auto Glass (recommendation from ins. agent) for more bad news. I could get an unheated replacement mirror, but I'd have to contact a dealer if I wanted a heated replacement. Based on an earlier post I assume that means that the whole assembly would have to be replaced for much $$. Should I go the el cheapo route, or is it worth the extra money to go for a whole heated assembly?

Lyn
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    mike-

http://www.amsoil.com/products/gearlubes/index.htm

I have them for the front and rear diffs, and their ATF for the 4EAT. Nothing blew yet =D

-Dave

Lyn: get a quote from the dealer first. Then, consider ordering the parts from a wholesaler. I'm shopping for accessories and so far http://subarupart.com/ was cheapest. The quote may even have the part numbers and make it extremely easy for you. Most parts are 20% cheaper, plus shipping costs are offset by not having to pay sales tax.

Then, once you get the parts, have your own body shop or mechanic put it in.

That way you get OE heated mirror for an el cheapo price.

If you can save more than, say $50, it's worth it. Otherwise let the dealer do it.

-juice
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    paisan - The good thing about the XT requiring a GL4 is that you can use Redline's MT-90. That's the gear oil that quite a few GL5 required i-clubbers are using and haven't had problems. Don't know the GL rating on the Shockproof. You can use anything in the rear diff.

I'm using Amsoil standard synthetic and so is Pat on the i-club. Jay tried it and experienced grinding. These are GL5's though. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably try the Amsoil Series 2000 out of curiosity.
    YMMV. :-)

-Dennis
    I'm not sure if it needs GL-4 or GL-5, I may go with the GL-5 stuff though. I really need to do the rear diffy though, cause it's grinding like mad, not sure if it's just low or if there is a problem with it. We shall see.

-mike
    I have not done a Subi, but have changed mirrors on Toyota, Ford & Dodge. The great advantage of the A-pillar mounted mirror is how easy they are to remove. Usually take off a small trim piece on the inside (like the black triangle where the tweeter would mount), and the screws and wire harness connection is right there. 5 minute job on those cars.

Steve
    This morning I pulled off the rubber cover. There is one screw in easy reach. But there may be a second one under a small cover cap at the bottom edge that may require removal of the inside door panel to get to. I am just not sure... On the outside (underside of the mirror mount), there is three screws - only one is accessible.

Anyone have a clue? With some insight, I am sure that Greg & I could do this in the parking lot over lunch. Good excuse for a tailgate party!

Steve
    I'm off today -- taking Fridays off in May and June is a great way to relax and enjoy Spring while getting a lot of little things accompished that you really can't do while you're working. Today's job is to line up the new mirror...

Mirror assembly cost at either Curry or Prestige Imports would be $149.95, with another $79 dollars or so for installation. 1stsubaruparts.com has the assembly for $100.76 (they say list is $139.95). Shipping is another 10%. (Juice, Thanks for the reference)

Interestingly, the parts guy at Rushneck Subaru in Tarrytown found a listing for a mirror repair kit at $29.95. It supposedly is for the heated mirror, so I placed an order and have my fingers (and toes!) crossed that it's the right part. It sure beats even the mailorder price of the assembly! The kit should be in in a few days.

Steve, if I do have to order the assembly, and you and Greg are willing to have a working tailgate party, lunch is on me! Even if the kit works we need to have a tailgate party.

Until I broke one, I didn't realize how many times a day I use the outside mirrors to check on traffic behind -- it truly is instinctive. It's hard to wait to get SueBee put back together. Looking at her I feel like such a klutz!

Lyn
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    sounds good to me. What do you need rear view mirrors for, just go faster than everyone else?? ;)

Greg
    You still need them to watch out for the cops! LOL!

Lyn
  • zscottiezscottie Member Posts: 23
    I've got a 98 Legacy GT Limited w/ security system upgrade...just turned 60k miles. One of my remotes went out. Anyone have an idea of how much a new remote would set me back? Any parts stores online that would be cheaper than the dealer?

Thanks.
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    and it was about $45-60. Can't remember exactly. I have heard that they sometimes try to rip you off for "programming" the remote. I just asked very nicely, and they obliged.

Jim
  • cynthiagcynthiag Member Posts: 63
    Might be worth checking eBay... I was looking over there at Subaru stuff at one point, and it seemed like I saw several people selling remotes.

Probably a lot cheaper if you can find one there!

Cynthia
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    When my remotes have quit all they needed was a battery for about $5.00 at Radio Shack.
    Lyn: if that kit doesn't work, Liberty Subaru had even better prices. I got e-mail quotes for some parts and they were typically a couple of bucks cheaper than 1st Subaru.

subaru-parts.com has the whole keyless entry kit for $132, including 2 remotes. I'm not sure if they sell them separately.

-juice
  • brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    I've got juice on the Liberty Subaru parts bandwagon. Woo hoo!! BTW their shipping has been a lot cheaper than 10% of the order, besides.
    I ordered a cargo liner and a leather shift knob from Liberty last week, should arrive soon. Under $100 for both, shipped.

-juice
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Does Liberty Parts have a website?
    I don't think so, I got an e-mail quote.

The next Darlene? :-)

-juice
    what is the e-mail address; need a quote on some stuff
    I was already looking for it. :-)

parts@libertysubaru.com

The site is:

http://www.libertysubaru.com/

But they don't have a good parts web site, to be honest. Prices were the best I could find, though.

-juice
    mille grazie!
    I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that the mirror kit will do the job and Rushneck can do the installation on Friday (vacation day).

If I do have to go the complete assembly route, Liberty may be the way to go. Does anyone have recommendations about Liberty's service dept, good or bad? And can I pick the parts up in person? They appear to be about 45 miles from my house, so if their parts are reasonable and the service is good I may have just found a new dealer for service, even if it's in the next state!

Lyn
  • brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    sorry, I can only vouch for their parts (generally 25% off list). I am sure you could pick anything up in person, but call/email first in case they have to order it for you.
    1-888-782-9493

The reason I like them so much is that after I discovered they had sent me a wrong part, they immediately shipped out the correct part, then sent UPS to my door to pick up part#1. They ate all the extra shipping costs, so they have a customer for life.
    Well let's see on Sunday we did:

Redline in the MT and rear Diffy.
    4 sets of pads.
    Flushed the brake lines.
    No major problems on these but was somewhat time consuming.

Today:
    Attempted to take out the rack and pinion to replace it. All was going well until we ran into the low pressure return line for the PS. It is tucked way way down and to get a wrench on it is nearly impossible combined with a slightly damaged nut. So now the car sits on jack stands behind the other XT6. We even were able to get the headers off w/o any issue at all! I couldn't help but start it w/o the headers and what a nice tone it had! :)

So far we tried a straight flared-nut wrench but that was both to wide and since it's straight it didn't give us enough room to turn it. We also tried a chicken foot wrench but to no avail. So hopefully we'll get it with an angled flared-nut wrench.

-mike
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    I checked the Service Manual (Section 7) for information on replacing outside mirrors. Would you believe there was absolutely nothing!!!

Mike, if you cannot get the nut off, there's always "Moto-tool"! 8~)
    What do they look like and would it be hard to replace the regular one with one of these?

I like my steering wheel as is, but for some reason, the plastic of the shift knob seems sort of tacky feeling and I'm not real fond of that. So I was wondering if you could get the leather after the fact and replace it.

Does the color match?

Cynthia
    I ordered rubber mats (for winter) for my Outback and they came today just in time for a big storm!

You'd think it would be summer by May in the Bay Area, but not necessarily...

Now I don't have to get the carpeted mats dirty and muddy. The Subaru mats are nice and look good in the car too! It was fortunate they came, I had to drive a friend to pick up a car she had shipped from Florida.

Anyway, I was really impressed with them, may just stash the carpeted mats and leave the rubber for every day.

Cynthia

in NY as well. We had a pretty deep frost last night, and about 20 minutes of wet snow on Saturday morning. Remember those 90+ days a month ago? (maybe the Russians really are controlling our weather....)

Lyn: Let us know your progress. Assuming we still have jobs after tomorrows announcements (big rumor or fact???), free lunch and a tailgate party sound like a great idea. Just pick a warm day, please???

Steve
    Caroline: now I think I remember, it was you that referred me to Liberty. Thanks!

mike: you hostin' a shop day during the week?

Cynthia: the manual knob just screws on. I'm not sure about the auto, because it has that button, right?

Do the rubber mats custom fit well? I've heard the ones for the Forester don't.

-juice