Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tacoma 4x4 or T100 4x4

Comments

• 83008300 Member Posts: 4
    Looking to buy sometime in near future 7-28 to 8-14-98 a truck 1. can buy a toy 1995 asking price 17,500 4wd ext. cab V-6 auto. 2 dodge daktoa V-6 ext. cab 1998 4wd sport. Looking for reasons to the insanity.
  • GAleoGAleo Member Posts: 2
    8300-
    I currently own a 95 Tacoma with 33,000 miles on it- Xtra-cab-4X4- solid truck- Only issue is- They ride like trucks- hard- Good if that's what you like- I happen to like that- I am trading it in because my family is expanding
  • JDIAZJDIAZ Member Posts: 23
    airdam

About the ride....man my 98 rides really smooth.
    My buddy drives a 96 Z71 and that rides like a dump truck. I'm sure the new T15o will have a rough ride because they want to compete with the big 3......who knows why

jd
  • GischpelGischpel Member Posts: 133
    You said "a toy 1995 asking price 17,500 4wd ext. cab V-6 auto". Knowing where you live may affect the price, but $17,500 seems high for a '95.

A 1998 with the same could be yours for about $20,000 in this area. I paid $18,300 for my 1998 SR5 4x4 Ext. Cab with 4 cyl and 5 speed. Add $700 for the V6 and $1000 for the auto and you get $20K.
  • hendythendyt Member Posts: 3
    Hi All. I'm looking at replacing my current truck with one that I can carry my kids in the back seat about 6 times a year. The Dakota is too cramped. The Tacoma has a really annoying forward push to the back rest in the back seat. The Dodge 1500 is great. Just too big for my tastes. How's the T100 Extra cab 4x4 in this regards? Can I carry two 5'6" size people in the back for a two hour trip without having them mutiny? On paper it's just smaller than the Dodge RAM and bigger than the Tacoma. I'd appreciate any advice. My dealer tells me there are no '98 T100 Extra Cab 4x4's in Arizona for me to try. I'm looking for a 2x4 to try on, but will have to travel 2 hours to get to one.
  • MuffsDaddyMuffsDaddy Member Posts: 2
    Hendyt,

I'm also considering a Toyota T100 along with a Dodge Dakota...got two kids, but not quite as big as those you mention; however, I don't know if I would want to make a habit out of 2 hour trips with kids riding in the back of a T100 XCab. Lots of potential for mutiny, I'd say. That's just my opinion after looking at(and sitting in) the rear seats of these autos...

Good luck.
    Here's another question for you all. I just spoke to my local dealer again. He says that the T100's are being discontinued this coming spring. The 98 models will be the last and then they will be replaced by the Tundra (T150). Can anyone confirm this? Thanks,
  • MuffsDaddyMuffsDaddy Member Posts: 2
    Yes, this is true from what I heard. T150's will replace T100's.
    I figured I'd answer my own question on back seat space on the T100. The answer is that there is sufficient room back there for my kids, for decent sized trips. I bought one yesterday, because of that. There's almost as much room as the Ram 1500 and quite a bit more than the Tacoma or Dakota. My wife even said she'd be willing to head to Flagstaff (5 hours) for camping in it sitting in the back if she had to. It'll be interesting to hear her opinion of it after we actually do it. She was definitely not so generous with any other truck, except the Rams. Too bad the T100's didn't catch on well enough. It's the perfect size for my needs, right between a Tacoma and 1500. At least most of the mechanical parts are the same as the Tacoma. Thanks for the other responses. Ted
    I have a 98 t100 extra cab. The guys at work always complaint about the space in the back. I don't know my two boys never complaint so there.
    For an adult yeah I think it'a litlle crowded but
    hey that's why we also have a mini-van. Other that that my truck fits my needs just fine.

jd
  • tmsweettmsweet Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about purchasing a 98 Tacoma PreRunner. Anyone out there have any comments about the power of the 2.7 liter vs. the V6? Is the 2.7 liter sufficient if I'm not going to be hauling? Any other comments about the PreRunner model?
    tmsweet,

I have the 2.7L in my Tacoma 4x4 and have been very pleased with the power and performance. I don't think I'd buy the 4 cylinder with an automatic transmission though. There are just too many hills here and it would be shifting all the time.

When I talked with different dealers prior to buying the truck, they suggested the 4 cylinder as I did not plan to do any towing or really heavy hauling. Good luck!
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I recently took a look at a 98 Tacoma TRD, V6, 5-spd. It stickered for $24k but I am sure I could do better then that. Has anyone bought this truck? what did you pay?

I would probably lease this truck for 3 years. Though we aren't planning a family for 2 years or so, there is always a chance. Can a baby seat fit in the extra cab? Has anyone done this? Is it safe? I would really like to have a truck just once inmy life before I have a family, but I am concerned about certain "possabilities" thanks for any info, please email me with responces if you can as I don't get to the board very often
    Dave/tmsweet,

I paid $18,300 for my 4x4 SR-5, Extended Cab with chrome, a/c, sliding glass, floor mats, tach, all-weather package. For the $900 or so dollar price difference for the V6, I'd pay $19,200 or $19,400 and get a 4x4. I bet your resale/trade-in value will be higher and your ability to negotiate on price will be easier than with the PreRunner as they are such new models.
  • gobluegoblue Member Posts: 1
    hey, zr2 or trd...i have a 98' 5speed v6 tacoma trd. it is an amazing truck, and i wouldn't get anything else!
  • RBlowesRBlowes Member Posts: 1
    Hey Sporin...I just purchased a 98 Tacoma TRD today and saved a few dollars over a '99. I don't know if price is to relative because I'm in Canada and our dollar is worth about 2 or 3 Bazooka Joes right now. The list on the truck was about $32k Cdn, and the dealer, a good client of my business, knocked 5K of the price without even a blink. I'm leasing at 4.8% (the '99s are still at 8.8% here) and over 48 months my payment is $432 Monthly. The buyout after 48 months is $13,500...an excellent deal as 4 year old Tacoma's are selling for about $18-20k here right now. Good Luck. Oh, and the baby seat does fit in quite comfortably.
  • rcnrcn Member Posts: 21
    Sporin,

Yes, a child seat will fit safely in the rear of a Tacoma Extra Cab. Before buying, I brought a Tacoma home overnight. We tested to see if the seat would fit and it passed with flying colors. This was not an infant seat, but a larger child's seat. An infant seat would have had more room.

The Tacoma is the only compact truck that has forward facing rear seats which means that it is the only compact truck which can utilize a child seat legally. Or so I'm told.

In any event, there is a cupholder/stand in the rear behind the passenger seat. This is used as a base or extension platform for a child's seat. It works quite well.
  • polsenpolsen Member Posts: 25
    pschiess I took my step daughter's toyota truck in to fix a flat tire when I could not get it off the Truck. The dealer took 4 hours trying to get it off and finally had to heat it off due to it rusting to the studs. I think toyota has a real problem with wet weather and I live in the great american desert.
  • edr3edr3 Member Posts: 16
    RBlowes & RCN,

I appreciate your comments about the Tacoma's ability to take a childs seat.
    I've wanted a truck, but because of the child seat issue I ended up with a 4Runner instead.

Anyway, when I get rid of the 4Runner in a couple of years, I'm again planning to buy a TRUCK, but was and still am unsure about the safety of an infant/child seat mounted in the rear of an extended cab. I'm hoping too that Toyota keeps up with the competition and offers 4 doors in the next year or two, but I guess I'm still uncertain as to the safety aspect of child safety seats in the rear.

I remember hearing something about Toyota's use of an extension as a mounting platform for a safety seat. If this is true and accurate (talked about in the owner's manual) then it would convey an acknowledgement by Toyota that the rear seats can be used for a child safety seat.

Anyway, if anyone has heard or read of the NHTSA or Manufacturer's confirming or denying that this is a safe practice I'd appreciate find out more.

Thanks and happy motoring!
  • tacomamiketacomamike Member Posts: 1
    hey everybody
    i've got a 95 Tacoma 4X4, reg cab, automatic, but pretty much stock. i can't stand my bench seat. what i really want is a split bench with a moveable armrest/console. i've looked around, and the Ford Ranger has the exact seats i want. too bad they put them in such a boring body! any suggestions on what to do? even though i have the 4 cyl, i love my truck. it always has a way of being just big enough for what i want to carry. also, if anyone is interested in adding some awesome bass, without taking up any room, i have the answer! i had my stuff professionally done, and the installer & all the salesmen were absolutely amazed at the sound! my girlfriend loved it too! Thanks 4 any advice!
  • smismi Member Posts: 13
    I'm interested in the bass. Tell us what you did.
  • bobstl4nowbobstl4now Member Posts: 3
    Hi everybody just picked up my 99 Tacoma 4x4, 6 cylinder, extra-cab. Ijust love it but I have one question. How important is it to keep it under 55 for the first 1000 miles? I intend to keep the truck a long time but a 1000 miles seems forever. Also, since I am a new tacoma owner does anyone have any tips or tricks?
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    They do give you the feel of big bass -- you really want them to augment a small subwoofer (say 8" or so) rather than as standalone though. They do hit hard (about as hard as a 12" sealed large box would) but you get very little tone from them. Or do what I had in my '93 (and will put back in my '99) -- 4 10" JL 10W1 subwoofers in a sealed enclosure that fit nicely behind the seat :)

JL Audio has some really great 'stealth' enclosures for 1-2 smaller subwoofers in many vehicles. The combination should be fantastic.
    bobf

I have a T100 and you're right 1000 miles seem for
    ever, but be patient and it'll pay at the end.

jd
    Bob,

I asked this question somewhere earlier and got several responses from "follow the manual" to "break it in the way you will drive it" to "most other vehicles require 500 miles, maybe Toyota is twice as good by asking for 1000 miles" or something like that. I drove mine at varying speeds up to 75 mph the first 1000 miles. The keys I have been told are to not drive at any set speed for an excessive amount of time or over-rev the engine (75 mph in 3rd gear vs 75 mph in 5th gear) until all the parts settle into place.

Hope this helps.

Terry
  • wallahwallah Member Posts: 5
    My 1996 T100 4x4 is great. I paid 24000 plus tax and license in November of 1996. It took 3 hours to get that $500 over invoice price, but it was worth it. I agree that the seat belts need to retract better.
  • roymroym Member Posts: 8
    wallah,

my '96 t-100 4x4 has this whistling sound when i accelerate at highway speeds (4th & 5th gear). does your truck do the same? i have my own topic (see #334); it goes in to more detail about my "problem".

your feedback would be appreciated.

thx, roym
  • waz2waz2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing a 250 SWB super duty extended cab truck with a 5.4 engine. Was told by a salesman that you must use 530 oil in truck all the time or the heads will be blown. This is awfully thin oil and I think will eventually ruin the engine. Is this a coverup for a Ford defect? He says engines are being blown all over the place. I can't find any info from service depts. I've talked too. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    30-wt oil is fairly standard with todays tight tolerances. The 5- only matters at startup, and will lubricate a little better. What are you looking at otherwise, 20-50?
  • DianaXDianaX Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking at trucks, and REALLY like the looks of the Toyota Tacoma. It's got the most ground clearance taht I've seen and I love the body! 5-speed V-6, for me!

Anybody know what the diff is between the 98 & new 99's? Did they just change the colors? If so, did they have WHITE in the 98's.

I need white cuz I'm planning on getting a paintjob--I know, why paint a brand new car, but I've always wantd a construction yellow truck and am gonna leave the top and hood and top trim white.

I can't believe AC isn't standard but I definitely also want the TRD package. Can TRD be added later? Anybody have it--how good is the TRD?

Thanks
  • bryan99bryan99 Member Posts: 22
    If so, can you tell me your comments about the purchase? I am interesting in what you like/dislike about the truck after your purchase, what accessories you bought, any aftermarket stuff (like a shell or foglights), did you order one from the factory, and how was the dealer willing to "deal?"

Thanks!
  • siddsidd Member Posts: 1
    bryan99 hey
    yeah i just picked up a '98 tacoma4x4 it has a bunch of the standard options a/c, tilt sw, etc.
    the dealer did not dicker to much but their asking price was only 15.5k and we settled on 15.1k. i liked the fact they didn't try to get me to buy a lot of add ons and extended warrantees. i havent hit the 1000 mile mark yet so i cant tell how ballsy the 2.7 is but it does seem pretty responsive. lets see the radio works great pulls in stations like crazy but the cassette doesnt have dolby. i have a bench and it could really use a arm rest, but aside from that it seems very good, quality fit and finish are top notch on this truck. good luck for what it's worth i'd recommend one.
    Thank you, sidd, for your response. I ordered a price list from Consumer Reports on the 99 Tacoma and discovered that there is an $800 rebate and also another $800 dealer incentive on this truck until 1/4/99. This gives me added confidence that I will be able to get a truck at or near invoice price. I am about ready to face the salesman with confidence and knowledge of what I want and how much I want to pay. Thanks to Edmunds and Consumer Reports!
  • jamesparjamespar Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I am in the process of buying a '99 Prerunner with v-6 and am concerned about road noise with the large tires when they get a few 1000 miles on them. The ride seemed fine but firm. Any experences would be appreciated. Also is the trd offroad version any more noticable rougher ride?
  • hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    I bought the 1999 extended cab 4 x 4 SR5 with the V6 with some extras from the dealer. At first I was thinking about purchasing the Prerunner extended cab V6, but since the price was close to the 4 x 4 I went for the 4 x 4. Was thinking about the TRD package, but then heard from friends the ride is harsh crossed it off my list.
  • beaver8303beaver8303 Member Posts: 1
    MY DAD AND I ARE LOOKING AT TRUCKS FOR A CHRISTMAS PRESENT FOR MYSELF. THE TACOMA 4X4 AND THE PRERUNNER LOOK ABOUT THE SAME BUT THE PRERUNNER DOESN'T HAVE 4WD. I WAS WONDERING IF THE PRERUNNER WOULD PERFORM WELL IN THE MUD BECAUSE OF IT'S BIG SIZE OR WOULD IT BE SMARTER TO PURCHASE THE TACOMA 4X4. MY DAD AND I BOTH LIKE THE PRERUNNER BUT I WANT TO HAVE THE 4X4 OPTION. WHAT SHOULD WE DO?
    The first thing you should do is not type in all caps. In "web speak" that means you are shouting. All lower case would be better than all caps. Enough with the etiquette lesson...

My suggestion is compare the price difference between the two vehicles and you will know what the added cost of the 4x4 is. Try to determine what that means versus what you might get for it when selling or trading it at a later date as opposed to selling/trading a 4x4 at the same time. Then you can make a more informed decision.

From what I have seen, a Pre-runner does not save you much $$$ and the 4x4 should be of higher resale value because of it's versatility as a 2x4 and 4x4.

This is my opinion. I bought a 4x4 Tacoma for those occasions when I would need it, but also gave serious though to a Prerunner before using this decision process.

Best wishes,

Terry
  • skyburnskyburn Member Posts: 5
    Well, I finally did it. I bought a Tacoma 4x4 V6 Extended Cab with the TRD off road package. It came with power windows/locks, cruise/tilt and the SR5 LX package. I am happy with it. We paid about $250 under invoice, thanks to Edmunds and MSN's Carpoint for all the great advice and help on buying a new vehicle. Their tips, guides and pricing helpers really made a difference in the negotiating process. We love the new truck and hope to drive it for a long time.
  • plusplusplusplus Member Posts: 2
    wow, That's great skyburn, But, did you know that from Nov. 29 thru Jan 4 the dealer had $1300.00 cash back from toyota? and the new toyota-thon that started on Jan 5 1999. has even more cash back. I sell toyota's and you didn't post any thing about price. Makes me wonder, most people would tell what they paid for a vehicle first thing. Post me back with the info and I'll be more than happy to tell if you really got a good deal. And,if you did that's great. I'm happy for you. And you did buy the best truck on the market for the money you know.I just hope that you were considerate to the dealer and sales staff, and gave them a 100% survey! Please post back. :) plusplus
  • skyburnskyburn Member Posts: 5
    PlusPlus:
    I did post some price info in another topic..but here goes:

It's a '99 Tacoma 4x4 Ext. Cab V6 w/ SR5 LX package plus PO(power) BU(bucket seats) TW(tilt wheel) OF(TRD offroad package)

DLR invoice on it was $21706...that includes the $420 dest. charge and I think it also includes some money for TDA, but I don't know how much, it turns out to be about $356 over Edmund's invoice price. We negotiated to $22706 and that included the Delivery & Handling that I negotiated away. We got $1000 rebate from Toyota and $1000 matching on down payment. So, minus taxes, actually, we got the truck for ~$600 under Edmund's invoice price.

I think both the dealer and I were happy about the outcome. They gave us a good deal, and they made a reasonable profit. I love the truck, it truly is the best on the market.
  • paul49paul49 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Tacoma. I have 97 4x4 extracab 6-cylinder Tacoma. Excellent trip truck and gets 24 mpg- no problems at all after 30K. Mine is solidly built would buy another in a heart beat.
  • cymcym Member Posts: 12
    Is the cash back you refer to the same dollar amount in every region of the U.S.? I am in California. I just had a dealer preference order the model 7553 Toyota 4 WD Extended cab V-6 manual transmission truck (18,036 base invoice) for me with these options:

LX (SR5 package)
    CQ (Convenience package)
    BU (bucket seats)
    CF (carpet floor mats)
    AB (anti-lock brakes)

Price: $20,536 plus $45 doc fee. This was $100 over his invoice of 20,436. The dealer's invoice included $356 for the TDA (Toyota Dealer Advertising charge) and of course the destination charge. Plus, when I take delivery, I will get the $1,000 rebate. So, another way to look at this is $900 UNDER invoice plus the TDA and doc fee. Since you sell Toyota's, can you tell ME if I got a good deal?

Thanks very much.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I think you got a very good deal. I guess you could look at it as $900 under invoice, although I see it as $501 profit for the dealer not counting the holdback, which he gets too. Still not bad. Don't let the dealer try and take that rebate from you at closing, or in finance. You have to sign a form releasing it to them. Don't sign it!
    If you don't sign the rebate over to the dealer, how long does it take to get the rebate sent/given to me? Doesn't it come from the factory? I am going to keep the rebate separate from the rest of the transaction. But it does seem handy to just deduct the $1000 from the final total price, especially if I decide to pay cash. Or am I missing something?
    Cym, I'm planning on the doing the same thing, keeping the factory rebate myself. As long as interest rates are so low, it makes more sense for me to draw a larger loan and have more cash in hand. So let me know if you get an answer about when and how you get the rebate check...
  • monstermanmonsterman Member Posts: 2
    hi guys how are u all doing?
  • monstermanmonsterman Member Posts: 2
    HEY I AM 15 AND I AM LOOKING FOR A GOOD TRUCK, BUT I DO NOT WANT TO PAY A WHOLE LOT. WHAT IS A GOOD TRUCK FOR A NEW YOUNG DRIVER? OH YA I LIKE THE SHORT CAB STYLE.
  • jps11jps11 Member Posts: 3
    In the Edmund's Rebate/Incentive List it specifies a B-Cab and a C-Cab. Any idea what that means? Thanks!
    I think a dealer told me the B-cab is the regular cab version of the truck, as opposed to the extended cab. He made it sound like Toyota was giving dealer cash AND customer cash for the b-cab's to try to move them faster, whereas in my area (Northern CA) there was just customer cash for the extended cab versions. This was told to me on December 29. At that time (and in my area) there was $500 dealer cash and $1000 customer cash on the b-cab's and $1000 customer cash on the extended cab versions. I should be picking my ordered truck up in a week or so. The dealer had called me Jan. 5 to let me know the rebate had been extended past the Jan 4. "deadline".
  • mwpmwp Member Posts: 2
    Looking at buying a new Tacoma 4x4 xtracab.
    Has anyone purchased one lately ? How is it holding up? Any problems ? I'm also looking at ordering one, has anyone have any suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.