Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    My guess is the traction control is what gave the legacy that little bit of extra help it needed. Don't be afraid of giving it a bit of gas when going through deep snow. Momentum will help you. I'd say the difference was the VDC and the weight of the legacy v. the Forester. Also the Legacy has a 45/55 Torque split whereas your Forester is 80/20 initially so you'll have more front slippage than on the leg.

-mike
  • saywhatsaywhat Member Posts: 63
    Thanks Mike, your answer makes a lot of sense.
    Anytime, always trying to help. :)

-mike
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Is the 80/20 true for all Foresters, or only for the earlier varients?

Would be interesting to know if that will be true in the '09 Forester... :confuse:
    80/20 is for all the 4EATs which is what they run in the 98-08, they have not confirmed if the 5EAT is in the 09 yet.

-mike
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Boy, I would hope it is. I can't believe the WRX still has a 4EAT.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    My Forester was smooth for the full 9 years I owned it. It wasn't an automatic, but still.

The lack of smoothness you observed could mean there are issues with something in the driveline on the H6 you test drove.

Thing is, when people shop used, I usually tell them, if it's quiet and smooth, it's a buy. Any clunkiness and you should walk or at least figure out what caused it.
    Wrt driveline, I did not hear driveline clunks within the '08 XT Turbo I drove, so sounds like that H6 was defective (the bane of new car buying: will it be a :lemon: or not ? And what does/will Subaru do if it is ?).

I'll try to find another one to drive, though the lack of response in both XT and H6 suggests I'll have to manually shift/set up the autotrans to get the kind of response my old Maxx now has (which is kinda ironic as the Maxx has less power and just as much weight !!). Then again, perhaps it was wrong fuel or other issues discussed elsewhere.
    BTW, A recent review of an '08 Cadillac CTS said it suffered the same auto trans lag issues (apparently due to the trans trying to optimize fuel economy).

Subaru America would not provide torque curves for H6 compared to XT Turbo, so I am really in the dark on how these engines really compare.
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    With the cooler NW winter temperatures (32 degrees - 40 degrees), my 2005 Forester X 4EAT is shifting more abruptly. It’s never been smooth, but seems worse in the cool weather. Happens on a pretty regular basis, upshifts and downshifts in all 4 gears. It seems worse with gradually acceleration and deceleration. If you punch it, you get a pretty clean shift. Abrupt shifts happen when the car is cold and when warm.

Car has 40k and tranny fluid was replaced at about 30k. Mechanic added a SOA synthetic tranny additive later, after I mentioned the rough shifts. Additive had no effect. No TCU codes showing that I know of.

Seems to be a problem even after I've driven the car for some time. Happens in the summer too, just more in the winter. The shift can be really abrupt. We're talking a real jolt.

I drove another Forester with about the same mileage. Definitely not as abrupt. My 00 Outback never felt abrupt.

I’m taking it to the dealer to see if they have any answers. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    I really think it may be in your mind that the XT Turbo and H6 appear less powerful than your Maxx. When I punk my legacy turbo it's gone, and I'm a pretty fast driver to begin with. If I am not careful I'll cut the snow tires loose.

-mike
    The XT is _definitely_ more powerful than the Maxx - it accelerated pretty viciously once the engine got to 4K rpm or so, far more so than the Maxx does in that power range.
    I suspect the H6 will also prove more sprightly if kept in lower gears to allow the engine to work within its upper regions.

But around town, when the engines were loafing along with transmission in D (the way a lot of people, myself included, drive) the Subies were definitely less responsive. Perhaps CU and others finding that behavour were in similar situations.

And as mentioned, one review of the Cadillac CTS showed the same issue.

The workaround for Subie appears to be managing the trans so it doesn't sit in upper gears, and use premium fuel.
    You do need to push the pedal down to get em to go. Same as any automatic out there. I've never had problems (with far weaker subies like my 130hp XT6, 137hp Impreza, Heavy SVX) all of which had ATs, which over the first 1k miles learned my driving style. But when I wanted to go, I'd punch it and scoot out.

-mike
    and the Outbacks hesitated.
    I'll try the IMpreza WRX next and see if that is more responsive.
    I guess you have a higher standard than I do for "hesitation".

-mike
    not a "higher standard", just a different expectation.

Most Detroit cars I've driven "respond" quickly to a press on the gas pedal, Usually within half a second. Granted, the level of that response may be tepid to tremendous depending on the available power, but the _time_ for the response is relatively short.

I'm still figuring out how to drive the OB's to get that _time factor_ of response. My guess is it's keeping the engine in the upper rev ranges.

...and it's not unique to Subaru. The Cadillac CTS with auto has the same problem. It may be due to CAFE, emission control, or other issues. A lot has changed since '04 !!
    How does the '08 Impreza WRX compare with the '08 Outback XT in terms of responsiveness (not ultimate power) ?
    In other words, if you are in normal traffic, and have to pass somebody, which car responds more quickly?

It'll be a while before I can find time to drive (or find) a WRX Impreza, so any other user comments would be appreciated.

and if I have repeated myself, my apologies - two jobs during Xmas can take a lot out of you !! :cry:
    I agree, a few things are at play here:

* 3.5 liters, vs. 2.5 or 3.0
    * the Maxx was probably not throttle-by-wire
    * the Subarus were not in Sport mode for the Transmission
    * AWD so more driveline drag

The 3500 engine is designed for torque at low revs, and runs out of breath at high rpm. The Subaru engines are (almost) the opposite.
    maxx is definitely throttle by wire...was first time for the Malibu, introduced in '04.

Yes, the current Subie engines appear the exact opposite of the Maxx engine.

Could a Subie workaround be, for around town driving, to keep them in high rev ranges by using sport mode with trans in 3rd gear?
    Which suggests : if you are in sport mode of the OB trans, will it shift to next gear should driver accelerate past the gears' range, or will it let the engine bang against its rev limiter (encouraging you to shift it yourself)?

And you are right about the maxx 3500 engine. The 3900 engine for the maxx has much better breathability, but GM put it in only in the SS series, which for the Maxx resulted in a fuel guzzler due to a "performance" choice of final drive ratios. The SS Maxx also suffers from hard ride, ridiculous turning circle and other oddities due to marketing, not enginering choices. Its traction control is superior to other Maxxes, though.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    If you want to experience ridiculous hesitation, test drive the Acura RDX. Try to scoot through traffic while making a left turn. You press the gas pedal (not floor it, just punch it about 30-40% down), and NOTHING happens. Then the car starts creeping forward slowly. Then, when you're about to get hit by oncoming traffic, the turbo finally kicks in and you somehow make it across the intersection in one piece. Talk about ridiculous!

That test drive experience makes any Subaru feel like a rocket!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    Which suggests : if you are in sport mode of the OB trans, will it shift to next gear should driver accelerate past the gears' range, or will it let the engine bang against its rev limiter (encouraging you to shift it yourself)?

I think you are referring to the manual-shift mode rather than "sport." Sport remains fully automatic, but simply changes the shift-points on the transmission. To enter sport mode, pull the shifter to the left while it is in D and do not move it up or down. If you do move it up or down, you change the transmission to manual-shift mode until it is returned to the normal D position.

But, in manual-shift mode, if you do not shift within preset limits on the car, the transmission will shift automatically. On the 4EAT, I believe it is between 1200 and 5500 RPMs, though I have not paid attention to the thresholds. If I use this mode, I will sometimes not shift to 1st quick enough and the car shifts for me, but it is tough to "forget" to shift at the upper RPM region! :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    ... and that is how I will drive the OB XT once I can find / have time to drive another.
    On the 4EAT, I believe it is between 1200 and 5500 RPMs, though I have not paid attention to the thresholds.

I thought I would test this out on the way home last night to see the exact shift points. On the upper end, the automatic shift point while in manual mode is 6000 RPM. I was in second gear when I tested it, and the car was traveling at 70 mph when I hit 6000. It was not dependent on whether I was aggressively accelerating or not. If I stopped moving faster, say, at 5800 RPM, it just sat there in 2nd gear. As soon as the tachometer hit 6000, though, it shifted to 3rd.

On the other end of the spectrum, the RPM seems more flexible. With solid, constant braking action, the car shifted from 4 to 3 at 900 RPM, from 3 to 2 at 800, and from 2 to 1 at 700.

-Wes-
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • gr8cornholiogr8cornholio Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I have a 95 Subaru Impreza sportwagon it has 145000km or about 90000 miles Recently I started hearing a low knocking sound coming from the rear. It only happens under moderate or hard acceleration. There is no sound when cruising at any speed or when accelerating aslowly. Any hints of what it might be?
    Thanks
  • skarnes1skarnes1 Member Posts: 7
    The problem was with a squeaky axle nut that needed to be changed and re-torqued. This one drove me nuts (no pun intended) and the dealer too. I don't think this is a common problem with the Forester because after a few posts in different forums nobody guessed it... but if you are experiencing these kinds of noises have them checked out.
  • diver7diver7 Member Posts: 5
    hi all-have 2000 OB LTD MT-5 SPD OD. was told it had head gasket leak but noone mentioned Subaru covering it so i opted to ride it out til it got worse. i will be VERY upset if this is true. can you confirm this? because right now the car is running badly and i am thinking of replacing it but not with this dealer if they don't treat customers right!!! also i was told and paid for an engine flush-$110- is it right that i was duped yet again because the manual trans gets drained and not flushed.
    i really want another subie but not if they are going to soak me in the service dept!!!

thanks
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Diver7-

I know that Subaru did have a head gasket issue on the 2000 OB - that was my previous car and I had the head gaskets replaced under a TSB. If I remember correctly if there was a problem Subaru replaced them under warranty; if no existing problem then they were supposed to add a "conditioner" to the cooling system and extend the warranty to 80,000 miles.

If your dealer is saying they have no knowwledge of this, contact SOA directly.

Mark
  • starrmanstarrman Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2001 Forrester that had a head gasket problem. The car had about 110K when the probem occured. It was not covered by warrenty. The dealer gave me a run around to no end - they would not admit that head gaskets were ever a problem!! Go Figure - they jerked me around with various test which I paid for. I finally took it to a private or ind. garage and had the heads replaced for $1500. I would never go back to a dealer ever again.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    The driver-side rear of my '02 Subaru Impreza WRX with 108,000 miles bottoms out over bumps when I load in 3 other people. The suspension seems a little weak, and the left wheel sticks out slightly more than the right wheel on the rear.

I am guessing that I need two new Struts and an Alignment, but wanted to check.

One mechanic stated that I needed new springs, while a 2nd stated that I probably did not. The 2nd also stated I could get spacers for the springs if I was really worried about it.

Front had the shocks replaced at 80K, not the springs, and seems to be fine.

What should I do?
    Well at 100k I'd suggest new springs, you could get away with struts only if you wanted. I suggest KYB GR2s as "stock-like replacements"

-mike
    The naming is misleading because the springs are actually what absorb the bump impacts. The shocks simply calm down the springs so you don't keep bouncing.

Payload is, what, about 850 lbs? Make sure you aren't carrying any unnecessary dead weight in the trunk.
  • norgar395norgar395 Member Posts: 2
    80k miles. Has slow drip underneath engine where engine & transmission meet. No evidence of leakage or staining around head. drips are behind engine oil pan. Very slow leak at this time, trying to trouble shoot without putting system under pressure. Oil is not contaminated. thanks in advance for your thoughts.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
  • tbragg44tbragg44 Member Posts: 24
    Does anyone have the Subaru specs to bench test a coil pack? My Haynes manual lists the ranges for two brands of coil packs, but the two brand new coils (Carquest, but with OEM markings on the case) do not meet those specs. The new ones are very close to the one on the car.

Nearest dealer is >100 miles away, and the local parts stores don't stock them and must special order them, prepaid. I don't want to buy a new one if mine is good.

'99 Legacy Outback 30th Anniv, 2.5L. Engine quit on the road, won't restart, trying to rule out causes. No trouble codes on OBDII reader.

Thanks for any info available,
    TB
    How many miles?

Did you check the timing belt?

-mike
  • tbragg44tbragg44 Member Posts: 24
    125K miles; timing belt is still intact and in good shape, new at 105K; Alternator bench test good, 2YO battery at 12v.

TB
    Ok, cause I've seen some cars just die when the timing belt broke.

Cross the alternator off the list and the timing belt.

-mike
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    "... oil change and a few other things done on my '01 Forester two months ago at a local Valvoline.... they told me the CV joint was nicked and leaking grease onto the exhaust pipe, but that their work wouldn't have broken the CV joint....They say I have to replace both front axles... Can I build any sort of case against them? "

Not the way you are going about it. Are you saying an oil change place nicked two boots such that both CV joints lost lube and were ruined? Is this physically possible? To cut both boots? During an oil change? For a slow loss of lube to ruin 2 joints in a few days? Is Valvoline competent to make such statements? Why do you believe an oil change shop about such a technical and serious matter? It sounds like nonsense.

Take your car to a Subaru dealer for evaluation. It is possible that there is nothing wrong with the boots or joints, and that the oil change shop merely got motor oil all over the headers and heat shields and plastic pans and boots.
  • bolivarspeckbolivarspeck Member Posts: 1
    I would like to get into the space under the center console to run wiring for blue tooth in car system. I have not figured out how to access that space. Any help would be appreciated.
    Consumers Union just published a new report on the Legacy (cousin to the Outback) and while the liked the car overall, two things made them downrate it considerably:

1. Tail swing out during emergency manuevers (they couldn't get stability control on that model)
    2. Engine (2.5 i ) was less responsive than the other cars they have tested.

Not sure what will fix either of these short of waiting for an all new chassis and engine....
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    In addition they commented on the reduced interior room compared to the others....perhaps a greater influence in their rating. With the present engine and full time all wheel drive little performance enhancement is likely.

Perhaps direct injection would make a significant difference. But when???
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    I believe 2010 is the year direct injection is expected to debut. Also, use of VDC is growing greatly throughout the lineup. It's standard on Tribeca, all Imprezas but the base model, and I believe will be standard on the new Forester. In the Legacy & Outback it's available on the Limited models, and on the turbo & 6-cyl AT models, but it's not available on the base or SE models. That will likely change as Subaru continues expanding it throughout the lineup.

I'm surprised CR wasn't enthusiastic about the 2.5's acceleration... I think it's pretty comparable to its competitors' 4-cylinder offerings. *shrug*
    2010 will see an H6 in the Legacy and a larger car (think A6) so it'll address those concerns.

-mike
    I'm surprised CR wasn't enthusiastic about the 2.5's acceleration... I think it's pretty comparable to its competitors' 4-cylinder offerings. *shrug

10.8 sec 0-60 versus 9.8 for the four cylinder Accord at the same price point.
    CR gets the slowest 0-60 times of any publication, though. 10.8 ain't bad, about par for 4 bangers with automatics.

Did you notice the Legacy actually uses less fuel than the 4 cylinder Accord? $20 less per year on gas, with AWD thrown in as part of the bargain.

So the Accord was quicker but it came at the expense of as-tested fuel mileage. With FWD it should easily have beaten the Legacy in that regard.

The sliding the tail out thing - Subaru very badly needs to make stability control standard, however it's also a fun driving trait. The AWD corrects itself. To a novice that may seem scary, but for me, it's a lot of fun. Just give us an off switch with the VSC.
    The sliding the tail out thing - Subaru very badly needs to make stability control standard, however it's also a fun driving trait. The AWD corrects itself. To a novice that may seem scary, but for me, it's a lot of fun. Just give us an off switch with the VSC

AND Subaru need to retrain dealers like the owner at Evanston Subaru who told me when I wanted an Outback 3.0 VDC that they do not order them and VDC has no value! So I bought My VDC wagon elsewhere.
    Crazy dealer apparently didn't want your money. Even if you're one who doesn't like VDC, it'll lower your insurance rates, which gives it tangible value. :) And you can just turn it off if you don't want it (although... could you do that on the OB 3.0 VDC?)
    The sliding the tail out thing - Subaru very badly needs to make stability control standard, however it's also a fun driving trait. The AWD corrects itself. To a novice that may seem scary, but for me, it's a lot of fun. Just give us an off switch with the VSC.

No fun if this trait "helps" the car slide off the road in bad weather. I really wish Subaru let users adjust front/back AWD balance (only on the STI, I think...).

The Outback 2.5i CU's tested did worse in acceleration - barely equal to a Prius. Then again, that test was 2 years ago.

Direct Injection seems to improve low end torque for the engines it has been used on. So perhaps that will broaden the powerband of Subaru Engines.

Pasian, will the next Outback grow in size a lot? I'd hate to see it pass the 190 inch length mark.
    I wonder, though, if manufacturers will be using future engine improvements to increase MPG rather than HP, because of the 35 MPG mandate.
    No fun if this trait "helps" the car slide off the road in bad weather.

The only thing that is going to help the car slide off the road is the driver. I have put 80,000 miles on Subaru vehicles - just on ice/snow covered roads. Only once has the tail of one of them slipped unless I wanted it to do so, and that time the car had quite a bit of assistance from other factors. They will understeer if you do not respect the traction limits, but indiscriminate tail sliding, no.
  • jhnsn4jhnsn4 Member Posts: 5
    You guys are great! Been reading your comments/problems.
    My prob is there is a constant beep from this car with the key removed; car running, etc. It is not a chime, nor is it a beep - beep sound. It is on constant.
    It just started to do this (my daughter has the car at school and when she came home I noticed the sound when I went to change oil).
    When I pull the fuse for the clock/radio/interior lites (under the hood), the beep slowly bleeds off.
    Thus, some circuitry is being charged up, i.e. a capacitor some place.
    Called the dealership - no idea.
    Don't have service manuals so unsure what is all on this circuit. The clock, radio and interior lites all work fine. Could there be a security issue? Will try to lock the car with the remote to see if this cures it, but car is now at college w/ fuse pulled. Daughter has a hard time not having the radio work!!! Thanx, folks!!