Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Are you still within the bumper-to-bumper warranty period? If so, I'd let the dealer take the time to figure it out. :shades:
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    I can get the tail to slide out easy on my 2001 OB wagon (auto). It just requires a good push on the gas. However that push is a good hard push and you need to try and make it happen. I think with the auto tranny its easier to make happen since the car is much more FWD based and then the power shifts to the back. Push on the gas hard and the power shifts quickly.

I grew up driving a RWD Olds station wagon from the 70's in the snow belt of northern WI. Never got stuck in the snow with that old battleship. So having the tail wag a little doesn't bother me much.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    I can get the tail to slide out easy on my 2001 OB wagon (auto). It just requires a good push on the gas. However that push is a good hard push and you need to try and make it happen.

Yes, I absolutely agree. It is easy to get the car to tail wag, but you have to want to make it happen. I found it to be far easier on my MT Outback with the 50/50 split than the AT, at least at speeds greater than a slow 90-degree turn, but either transmission type will allow it. The manual, with the rear LSD, was sure a lot of fun. :D

Anyway, the point is that there is not an instability issue created that would come into play during an emergency maneuver. These cars are highly controllable in emergencies: VDC or none.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    So what is CU doing "wrong"?

They keep complaining about this issue with Legacy and Outback, though they do say the new VDC helps (but also that it's slow to respond).
    Most likely just a matter their drivers simply have an expectation that is not being met. Maybe they like to goose the throttle as they turn from one road to the next. Hard to say, really. How does it take them 10.8 seconds to reach 60 mph unless they are loafing along? Granted, that time is realistic for an average jaunt from a light, but that same car can make the run seconds faster. The folks at CU know quite a few consumers stake great weight on their opinions, so they are sure to give those opinions liberally. Consumers who really want to know look at a variety of sources and/or they find out for themselves.

People have different expectations of cars. I drive a GM or Toyota and it feels numb and unrewarding yet these manufacturers sell millions of cars to people who actually prefer that. My brother drove my '08 Outback while we were on a whirlwind trip to Lake Tahoe and back two months ago, and his first statement was that the steering felt stiff and the ride was a little rough. 30 minutes worth of driving later, and he did not want to give up the driver seat! After driving his own car again when we returned to his home, he said his car made him feel "isolated." He has a 2001 Hyundai XG300. I just smiled; his car sure is comfy, though.

I am sure the VDC is slow to respond in a similar fashion as reactive AWD is slow to respond. It is a reactive system. Something has to happen before it can correct it.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Pasian, will the next Outback grow in size a lot? I'd hate to see it pass the 190 inch length mark.

No sure of the actual increase but it will be on the tribeca platform/footprint, so I would think it'll be bigger than 190 in, I certainly hope so.

The current 08+ Impreza is just about the same size as the current legacies/outbacks so it would be kinda dumb for them to keep it the same size.

-mike
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    The current 08+ Impreza is just about the same size as the current legacies/outbacks so it would be kinda dumb for them to keep it the same size

Makes sense.
    I hope the Impreza gets some tweeks in the second half of '08. If the WRX gets a 5 spd auto and a power seat option (ala the Forester premium pack), that would be enough for me.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Well, CR thinks Subaru's VDC is too slow to act. But if you tune it to act quickly, like, say, Toyota does its VSC system, then C&D complains that it acts like a nanny and doesn't let you have any fun.

So Subaru leans towards what C&D would prefer, as opposed to CR. It's more enthusiast friendly.

I wouldn't call it right or wrong, just a preference.

Subaru does specifically state that they let the AWD systems act first, before stability control intervenes.
    That reminds me of a VERY funny story.

C&D had a comparo of four AWD vehicles, one being the Outback VDC, the first year it came out. Back then it didn't have an "off" switch, and it was tuned to intervene more aggressively.

So in C&D's test, they hit the off switch on the other 3 cars and ran all the cars around a snow course.

Get this - they crashed ALL 3 OTHER CARS, and not the Subaru. The VDC Outback was the only one of the four with no body damage. And with stability control active. Coincidence? Doubtful.

Any how, they proceeded to put the Outback in dead last place, and still complained about the intrusiveness of the stability control. :mad:

It's a true story. Go to a library and search back issues if you want to read about it.

CR wants the safest possible tuning, even if it's boring. C&D wants to have fun drifting with no intervention from the electronic nannies, even if they wreck every single car in the fleet in the process.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    C&D wants to have fun drifting with no intervention from the electronic nannies, even if they wreck every single car in the fleet in the process.

How fun would it be do drive and trash vehicles that you are not responsible for?
    Note to self: never buy former press fleet vehicles! :D
  • Hi - What should I expect to pay for the 60,000 mile service on a '00 Outback? I was just quoted $460 by a nearby dealer. Is that reasonable? I'm in the North Texas area.

Thanks so much. Best - MM
    depends on what's included. What do they include for $460?

-mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I was quoted $350 here in Boise not long ago at an indy shop for my '97 Outback. The dealer quoted $800 and wanted to do an unnecessary timing belt change.

$350 was right in line with the estimate that the Edmunds Maintenance Guide kicked out for my zip code.
  • mdshatmdshat Member Posts: 3
    i got home from a few month long trip about a week ago and havent driven my car since. i had a friend start it a few times while i was gone and he said that only once did he have to jump it, but he couldnt drive it after that bcause it had developed a flat tire. i got the tire replaced and went to drive it and had to jump it. it was fine the next few times i started it after that. then after an hour of not driving it, it needed to be jumped. when i was driving my battery and brake light came on, but only while i accelerated or put my high beams on. then it just turned off...i thought that it was just being weird becuase before i left i got new sensors put in. it jumped fine that time and i went on my way...the battery light didnt come on this time. then i went to start it again and it wouldnt. we tried jumping it and it would turn over ("click") but wouldn't start. i came to the conclusion that it could be the battery and i took it to auto zone and they said that it wouldnt hold charge, so i put a new one in and it is still doing the same thing. all of the interior lights in the car are working and its turning over so i have no idea what the problem could be.

any ideas?
    thanks
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    You need to fully charge your battery. Go on a long trip during the day with headlights off.
    But a new battery should be fully charged, shouldn't it? :confuse: Do you think the new battery is old inventory?
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    They checked the old battery and determined that it wasn't holding any charge.
    Did they check the alternator if it is giving 13 volt or better charge to the battery?

-Dave
    Oops... missed the part where a new battery was purchased. My bad. In that case, there may be a short somewhere or the alternator is not charging.
  • jhnsn4jhnsn4 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, jeffmc, but out of warranty - we bought the car used with 10K miles on it.
    Last Sunday my daughter came home w/ car, I plugged the fuse in, and now the noise is gone. I checked on alldata website, and thought it mite be the keyless buzzer since there is a tech bulletin out on that for years 03MY & 04MY (MY must be mfg site), but that buzzer is located behind the grille, driver's side. This was a similar noise, but wrong locale. If it comes back, I will inform this group, especially if I find a answer. Thanks, jeffmc!! :)
  • tbragg44tbragg44 Member Posts: 24
    Well upon digging deep into my non-starting engine, I found broken intake and exhaust valves on the #3 cylinder, resulting in a nearly seized engine. I found a used engine with 48K miles at a recycler in Wisconsin and have it on the way.

I'm using a Haynes manual to R&R the engine. Decent information, but it's the first time I've been past the timing cover on a Subaru, and it's all pretty new to me. The last engine I swapped was a 400M in a 4X4 Ford pickup.

What are your recommendations for essentials to replace when I put in the new (to me) engine? Any way to verify actual mileage on the replacement engine? Any gremlins or hiccups I need to watch out for?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

TB
  • eckesveckesv Member Posts: 1
    Every time I turn off the car I loose radio and clock , I have a '95 legacy - I've checked the fuses under the dash,hood - everything was OK - somebody told me to check fuse #20, there is no #20 fuse. I'm lost HELP
    The clock and radio always turn off when you turn off the engine.
    You got to turn the key to accessories position to turn power on.

-Dave
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I think they meant the clock resets and the radio presets are lost.
  • rujikinrujikin Member Posts: 1
    I have a Subaru legacy 93'. My car's lock has locked up (<_< go figure), not allowing me to lock it, and Im trying to remove the interior trim to fix it. I got all the popoff screws & regular screws off and now the trim is being held on by the lock/handle case (The thing that is behind the lock and handle that makes it look fancyier). Any idea how to get the caseing out so the trim is no longer hanging on it so I can fix the lock?

The Haynes manual is useless as it tells nothing about automatic locks & windows...
    Look closely - there may be a screw in that bezel that holds it, or it might pop off if you pry gently with a screwdriver.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    In the Auto Repair Reference Center that I can access online through my library, it shows a "cover" with three tabs. One tab is on the center left side where the latch is and the other two are on the top and bottom on the right half of the cover. There is a screw holding the inner remote assembly in place but it appears to be behind the cover. My guess is that you just press the tabs in to release the cover.

Here's a funky diagram that may help.
  • tim3tim3 Member Posts: 28
    04 Forester X MT, 73K, owned since new.

Heading down an 8% mountain grade for several miles, I shift down to 4th to take advantage of engine braking and the temp gauge steadily drops all the way down to C. At the bottom of the grade, I shift back to 5th and the gauge rises back to its normal position. This happens every time I downshift to go down a mountain grade. Outside temp is in the low 60s. Car runs excellent otherwise, including going up mountain grades.

This may or may not be related: A month ago at the start of a 3,200 road trip, the car started heating up going up a mountain grade. The Subaru dealer diagnosed the problem as a bad radiator cap and replaced it. I also had the dealer replace the drive belts. No problems over the next 4,000 miles &#150; including mountain driving &#150; until the problem above crops up this weekend.

Any ideas, Subaru gurus?

Tim
  • iggsoiggso Member Posts: 31
    The Security light is flashing when the alarm is turned off or turned on. Only when the car is started it turns off.

Is this normal or should something be done to reset that. (How?)
    That is normal. I think it is supposed to be a theft deterrent. Unless the key is turned in the ignition, the security light blinks.
  • iggsoiggso Member Posts: 31
    I am asking this question for my aunts car, so I do not have a manual to check. But I do not think this light blinks in my Forester once the alarm is off, if it does blink it means that the car is in Valet mode.

So I am wondering if that is the case for 2008 Legacy? and if yes how to get out of Valet mode?

I am suprized if it is normal for this light to blink all the time - but i guess anything is possible...
    Good point. This is from page 2-4 of the 2007 Legacy/Outback owner's manual:

The security indicator light deters potential
    thieves by indicating that the vehicle is
    equipped with an immobilizer system. It
    begins flashing approximately 60 seconds
    after the ignition switch is turned from the
    &#147;ON&#148; position to the &#147;ACC&#148; or &#147;LOCK&#148;
    position or immediately after the key is
    pulled out.
    If the security indicator light does not flash,
    the immobilizer system may be faulty. If
    this occurs, contact your SUBARU dealer
    as soon as possible.
    In case an unauthorized key is used (e.g.
    an imitation key), the security indicator
    light comes on.
    NOTE
    Even if the security indicator light
    flashes irregularly or its fuse blows
    (the light does not flash if its fuse is
    blown), the immobilizer system will
    function normally.
    And to add a bit more to the conversation... Every new Subaru but Forester now has an engine immobilizer. The new 2009 Forester that comes out in a couple months will have this as well. As far as I know, every Subie w/immobilizer has the blinking message. My '06 Outback & '06 Legacy do.
  • woodzie65woodzie65 Member Posts: 1
    hi my car has had a gas smell too when it was very cold out i went to the dealer and they said sometimes the fuel lines under the injector manifold get old well i wasn't going to pay 590.00 to change two 5 inch rubber lines so i did it and the lines were fine except the hose clamp was loose so i replace it car didn't smell after that for 3 days well it was a very cold day here in minnesota and the smell is back so i don't know what it is but now that it is above 20 today there is no smell
  • sierrasnowsierrasnow Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,
    I am a little stuck on what to do. I have a 2007 Subaru Legacy, last January my car stalled out. I couldn't get my brakes to work, I could not stop, until I hit my dads truck :cry: I turned the car on and it had the check engine light on, the ABS Light on and the Cruise control light was blinking on and off. I took it to the dealership and they could not figure it out. It happened again but they told me it was a hickup and they did not document that I called. It happned again last February, they thought it was a sensor or something. they replaced a sensor, it was fine through the summer and then this January I couldn't get out of my driveway, which is not steep at all. my front right tire was the only wheel working, my ABS light was on too. the mechanics say that it is fine and nothing is wrong. this is just getting dangerous, and mind you it only happens in the snow.. what do i do? I am starting to think my car is a lemon :lemon:
    Sorry to hear about your troubles!

First thing to do is contact Subaru Customer Service:
    1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
    Hours of Operation:
    8:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (EST) Monday through Thursday
    10:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (EST) Friday

They can start a case number for you, recommend how to proceed, and at least it's all documented with Subaru of America, not just the dealer. If some major warranty issue or vehicle replacement is considered, the decision will likely come from these guys anyway. They can also apply pressure to the dealer, if necessary to resolve problems.

It sounds like two separate issues to me, though, and the stalling problem has not happened since the sensor replacement, right?

Anyone else here comment on the AWD issue pulling out of a slick uphill driveway? Can you tell us which Legacy model you have, and if it's manual or automatic transmission?
    Yeah need to know which engine, trans, at/mt, VDC? etc.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
    Describe "I couldn't get my brakes to work" some more.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    my 02 WRX had the infamous gas smell from a leaking fuel line, subject of a TSB in 2003. Anyway my pathetic dealer said , even with my subaru gold ext warranty, it won't get covered as it was a bad hose and "hoses are not covered". Called SOA this AM and spoke with Marisol. An hour later the dealer calls back to say it will be covered. I saved 600 bucks.
    My experience with SOA customer service has always been nothing but great, unlike several other manufacturers I have had to deal with.
    Glad to hear that.

Patti used to work there and I swear her effects are still felt.
  • declansdaddeclansdad Member Posts: 120
    Long time no post, but I thought I would let other members know that I've encountered a problem with my sunroof too. The dealership seems to think that the deflector is the problem and they have ordered the new part. I'll give that a try and let you all know if that fixes the problem.

Michael
  • tbragg44tbragg44 Member Posts: 24
    Any way to check the history of an engine? EngineFax, or something along that line?

I have an engine from a salvage yard, and have doubts about their claimed mileage on it. How many places are the serial numbers stamped?

Thanks.

TB
  • tompainetompaine Member Posts: 6
    I posted the following to the Outback/Legacy Check Engine Light Forum. I am re-posting it here in case there is another forum that would be good for this post. Thanks.

"I'll start off this post by saying that the dealer's service department that I have been using acknowledges that they have never seen a series of Check Engine Light (CEL) problems like the ones they have seen with my vehicle. I'm hoping that that is not simply a diplomatic way of saying I have a lemon (perhaps the only one on the roadways of Colorado).

Let me give a little history of these problems so that I can get your collective thoughts on whether they are all related and symptomatic of a larger or missed problem or simply unfortunate isolated incidents.

My 2002 Outback Wagon is the base model with a standard 4 cyl. engine, automatic transmission. It currently has approx. 93k miles on it.

Back in late 2005, when I had approx. 51k miles on the vehicle, I started getting constant Check Engine lights. The dealer pulled a Code P0420 and started off by replacing a Fuel (or Oxygen) Sensor. (The dealer indicated that these were the same things.) When the CELs persisted approx. 2500 miles later, and the same code reappeared, the dealer replaced the catalytic converter. I went 15k more miles and the problem resurfaced - same code. The dealer cleared the computer and told me to drive on it some more. At 73787 miles, when the CEL and same P0420 code came back, the dealer replaced the same fuel/Oxygen sensor. Then, at 76874 (now February 2007) -- same code came back and the dealer put in a new catalytic converter.

Up to this point, I simply got constant CELs and it did not really affect driving performance in any perceptible way. That changed this past fall, when I noticed that the vehicle would sputter and I would get intermittent engine vibrations, usually at idle or low RPM. Occasionally, the vibrations and sputtering would get more intense and sometimes at higher RPM (e.g. 2k). I also noticed that I would typically see the problems when the weather turned colder and in stop-and-go traffic or at higher altitudes (in the mountains at 9000 feet and above). The CEL would blink for 20-30 seconds and then turn constant.

When I brought the car to the dealer in November with approx. 89k miles, at first they could not pull a code, and simply cleared the computer. The problem reappeared and technicians were able to pull a code: P0302 (cyl. 2 misfire). I was up for my 90K service, so that was done, replacing the spark plugs, and I also had them do a fuel injector flush at their recommendation.

My problems came back in about 2 weeks and less than 2000 miles. This time the technicians pulled a P0420 code. They cleared the computer, told me to drive it some more, but warned that if the code came back I would be due for my fourth catalytic converter.

The same symptoms persisted but when I brought the vehicle back to the dealer in late January, with approx. 93k, the techs pulled a P0302 code (the cyl 2 misfire) again. At their recommendation, I had the ignition coil assembly and ignition wires replaced. Although it was not documented, the technician also told me he did a comprehension test, which came back with normal results. They told me to use better gasoline and drive on it.

The same problems -- engine sputtering/engine vibs, blinking CELs, etc. - came back within a week and less than 200 miles (using the better grade gasoline). The tech who worked on my car confessed that he was not sure whether the new coils and wires would solve the problem but all that the dealer can offer at this point is the recommendation that I continue to drive on it and keep putting in better grades of gasoline. Otherwise, they are out of ideas. (The service manager confessed that he did not think gasoline quality was really the issue.)

So the short questions I have following this long post are these: Are the problems interrelated? Has something been overlooked? (A friend mentioned that loose connections with the air filter may be a culprit.) Any thoughts on what steps to take next?

I would be grateful for any suggestions or advice.

Thanks. "
    Ask the dealer to loan you a different ECU (computer) and let you drive with it for a few weeks. That will rule out a bad ECU.
    I like samiam_68's advice.

I don't suppose you are fortunate enough have a 100k-mile extended warranty? :sick:
    I am going to deviate a little.

First, I am always befuddled by dealers' insistence that the catalytic converter needs replacing when a P0420 code pops. P0420 is "Catalytic Converter Below Threshold." Basically what this means is that the measured differential between the oxygen content in the exhaust upstream and downstream of the cat is not great enough. This could be caused by several things, not simply a result of the converter not doing its job.

The fact that this code continues to recur quickly even after oxygen sensors and the converter itself are replaced leads me to believe that the primary problem is due to something upstream of the catalytic system; maybe even a slight coolant leak into the combustion chamber(s).

Tell us, who has thus far paid for all these parts randomly thrown at the problem?

I am tempted to say that the rough engine operation may be a separate issue. In the absence of spark or fuel as the cause, I am leaning toward a knock sensor or mass airflow sensor as the primary culprit.
    Many thanks for all of your views to date. These are things that the dealer did not mention.

As for the financial burden of all of this, I wish in retrospective that I did have an extended warranty. However, over the course of time and with some haggling along the way, the way this breaks down is that I paid for one catalytic converter and sensor and the dealer or Subaru covered the other catalytic converter and sensor. I took the hit on the fuel injector flush; they took the hit on the ignition coils and wire -- and the comprehension test -- if that was in fact done.

Thanks again for your views on this.
    what samiam_68 said.

See if you can talk the dealer into a loaner ECU to see if the problem reside with your ECU. Make sure it's for the AT and not manual. An ECU for manual in an AT car.... a kid with skateboard will beat you off the line and pull ahead with 2 cars length :sick:

If a loaner ECU is not available, then make arrangement with the Dealer to take your vehicle in at moments notice. You need to drive the vehicle and take it straight to the dealer the second the symptom(s) occur, not tomorrow or when you get off work; straigth away. When you get to the dealer, leave the engine running. Do not turn it off. They should have an AccessPort like tool to register the engine's performance where it will help them determine a more precise area to look at and/or proof that the ECU is the culprit.

I'm guessing they'll find that the engine is running lean.

-Dave
    Thanks again. I'll keep you all posted.
  • thepdmmthepdmm Member Posts: 82
    Does anybody know if the Vents behind the front wheel well and the front bumper functional in the new STI?