Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Continental Convertibles of the 1960's

2»

Comments

• fbach7fbach7 Member Posts: 1
    I'm hoping someone can help me. Kids were playing with the roof and smoke came up from under trunk, passenger side. Trunk moves up about 2." It sounds like another motor is suppose to engage. That motor is not engaging. Pretty sure it's not that motor; rather it's the switch or mechanism that allows that motor to engage.
    Has anyone had this problem?
  • parmparm Member Posts: 724
    Lincoln & Continental Owners Club

Click on the link above and then click on Bulletin Board and then click on The Lincoln Forum Net. There, you'll find a wealth of knowledge from Lincoln owners. If they can't answer your question, nobody can.
    edited February 2010
    I gotta admit, I'm pretty smitten with this one 1962 Lincoln convert. It was recently on ebay and the $20,300 high bid didn't meet the seller's reserve. Yeah, the engine is far from sanitary, but that can be rectified. Too bad there aren't any views of the under-carriage. Two messages I sent the seller while the auction was in progress went unanswered. :mad:

What should this car sell for???
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The bid was absolutely market correct, right on the money, IMO. The car looks like a high #4, low #3, probably a repaint of a tired old car underneath. The underside will look like the engine; the interior is pretty nice but we can see lots of scratches in the trim, dry old floor mats, etc. Car is obviously a repaint and not that good of one.

So yeah, $20K is all the money. Once again, eBay bidders know what they're doing in this case at least.

It's a "driver" at best, and would need a complete tear down to make it any nicer.
    62 Lincoln convert at Amelia Island RM March auction

OK. Call me a gull-la-BULL, but this looks like a nice one. Yeah, yeah. I know. Much like a wife, the convertible mechanisms of 1960's Lincolns are painfully complicated and expensive to keep happy. But, if you have a nice one, who cares? (I'm talk'n about the car here!) Hey, it's not a problem if it breaks while the top is down, right??? :P The pre-bid estimate is $30K-$45K. Can't believe I'm saying this, but the low end of that range doesn't sound too terribly whacky - which means the car is probably worth high $20's? Many of the cars in this auction are from an estate collection. Does that tend to make it a safer buy? What's everyone think of this one? Should I start packing my bags for a March visit to Florida? :blush:
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, high $20Ks sounds right---if you read between the lines of this auction poofery, you can see that a) it's an older restoration b) the interior needs detailing (aka "dirty and unglued in places" and c) the paint has scratches which they say can be "fixed"---but guess who pays for that?

So on the face of it, sounds like a high #3 car. As for the top mechanism, it had better work when you buy it. It's not that the top mechanism is so complex---but it can be tedious and maddening to get right.

Why don't you fly me down there to inspect it for you? Amelia Island is of course a real hell-hole, and I wouldn't want you to have to go through that. No, don't thank me, it's my job.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    The "cons" of those old Lincolns far outweigh the "pros".

I really do love the way they look. In a straight line, they drive nicely too.

But, they were troublesome cars even when new. The dealers HATED working on the power tops and they had electrical and vacuum problems that were vexactious to track down and fix. Thsy also crack exhaust manifolds which are a B***H to replace.

Still, I do appreciate a nice one when I see one.
    Lincoln convertible fix it guy

Kind of nice to know that as a classic Lincoln owner you can get your convertible top fixed by an experienced repair dude who makes house calls. ;)
    Talk about a niche market!

So when he decides to retire or give up, then what?
    Don't try to confuse me with reality . . . . . . :P
    edited March 2010
    1962 Lincoln

Today, this car hammered sold for $50,000 (not including buyer's premium) at RM's Amelia Island auction. Way more than I thought it would go for. I would've thought $35K was all the money. I know auctions tend to result in inflated sale prices, but this one has me stumped. Must've been nicer than I thought.
    edited March 2010
    When you have access to a large faucet where money pours out whenever you want, what does a $20,000 mistake matter? The point is "the law of large numbers". THAT Lincoln was worth $50,000 on that day, but if you monitored all the Lincoln converts of that type sold within the past year----well, the law of large numbers tells us that we are probably correct in our value assessment.

The $50K selling price is no more indicative of the "market" than this selling price:

http://americandreamcars.com/1961lincoln0428.htm

and why is the $50K car any better than this beauty at $35K asking?

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/lincoln/continental/1036769.html

Obviously somebody back East may have more dollars than sense.

So there's really nothing to puzzle over. If you flip a coin only ten times, you might get 7 heads and 3 tails, but that doesn't mean that those are the real probabilities. The real probabilities come out when you flip the coin 500 times perhaps, or 1000 is even better. (Somebody actually did that and heads came out 50.1% of the time).
    Auctions are so unpredictable.

Ego has a lot to do with the sales results. If you get a couple of boozed up condenders on the same car, a lot of it is just stubborness and the desire to emerge the winner.

A great thing for the person selling the car!

Of course, now everyone with a 1962 Lincoln Convertable " knows" what they are "going for".
    Yeah sure...put that same car up for sale on the Internet tomorrow, or on eBay, and see what you get for it.

Wha' happened? :confuse:
This discussion has been closed.