Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 6-Series

Comments

• 6fanatic6fanatic Member Posts: 16
    Cool, good luck on the Cessna, flying is definetly the rush that driving is if not more. And, in 06 you will be able to get a decent deal on the car. I'll watch here to see what happens!
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I hear on ya on getting things in the blood. Our new boat is really taking our time. It is the 8th hull laid for a new model. It is getting the anti-fouling paint and the mast stepped up this week (after installing the radar and meteorology equipment). It goes hull wet for the first time ever this weekend. :)

-Paul
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    The only thing that has always bugged me about launching a new hull was how to get the Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame into your champagne glass after the bottle broke. ;-)

Congratulations!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    hehehe I hear ya, I just don't want to have to pour so much champagne to the gods of the seas, when I could really use it. :) heheh

Good luck with your plane. :)

Funny, we're both pursuing toys that run based on the principles of lift. :)

-Paul
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Yeah, let's just make darn sure that our piloting skills continue to be good enough to keep said lift where it belongs. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Yep, nothing like having the keel facing up.

We had some f-22's buzzing over the highway the last couple of days. They were smokin! Man was it great, but they came from nowhere. That could cause a wreck if you're not used to jets screaming at 300 ft. :)

-Paul
  • garrygarry Member Posts: 3
    Hi merc1!
    Can put you straight on a couple of things mentioned in your email.
    Mercedes had a historically quick update for the 140 series S class to rectify customer rejection of the slabsidiness and barge-like proportions of the car. Ironically, the 140 series was probably the last of the traditionly well built Mercs, they have not been the same since production of this series stopped in 1999.
    And, shock horror for all the 7 series critics and Merc fanatics. Have you seen and read about the next soon-to-be released S-class????? Well guess what - it has i-drive AND an enlarged bob-tail style trunk lid, aca Maybach!!!! So who got it right, heh???
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    That is true they did facelift the W140 quickly but it was the size of the car that people thought was too much, the styling change only helped this in perception, not demensions. Long as you know that.

Unfortunately everything is indicating that the next S-Class will have an idrive type system, but knowing Mercedes they'll get it right or at least improve upon in from BMW's original mess.

BMW surely didn't get it right. No Mercedes S-Class has ever been called ugly, so far.

I'll wait until the new S is shown before drawing any more conclusions.

M
  • garrygarry Member Posts: 3
    I took delivery of my Stratus Grey/Black 645 2 weeks ago. Early impressions - overall body finish? 9.5/10 (almost Lexus-like, near perfect mica-metallic paintwork and panel shutlines, after 3 hand washes I cannot fault the interior or exterior fit and finish). I am 53 years old and fly a Baron B58, are not an academic and can't cope when there's a problem with my computor and like to keep things simple (Simon). I, so far, have no problem with this latest version of iDrive. After 2 weeks of driving a couple of hours a day at best, I can glide through the system as required, even on the go. What is all the fuss about?? The car has a sensational exhaust note, engine 1st class although the fly-by-wire accelerator pedal takes some getting used to - very sensitive when moving off. Active steering, dynamic drive, in fact all the BMW engineering and mechanical options (standard on all Australin spec. cars) seem to work in perfect harmony with each other. The ZF 6 speed auto works seamlessly. The ultra-low profile run-flat tyres on the optional 19" alloys seem a little harsh to me but this is a sports coupe and I'll have to get used to that I guess.
    Overall handling - 9/10, soooooo direct and precise. Very masculine stance on the road, wide track, wheel/tyre combination that fill the guards, sensible ride height. Magic optional Logic 7 sound system. In-car phone system is taking some time to master! I like the individual body styling and, surprisingly, the roadside and carpark remarks have been VERY positive. It is a very recognisable vehicle - you don't confuse it with anything else! This car is definately a 2+2. I am 6'3" and no one is going to sit behind me while I'm comfortable!
    Huge trunk - 2 sets of clubs with buggys, no problem, beautifull.
    So far I'm VERY impressed - and hope I stay that way. Cost in Australia, fully optioned, is still quite expensive - AUS$223,000. A CL500 will set you back AUS$295,000 although in my opinion these cars do not compete, in fact, I don't know what the 645 really competes with.
    I invite any questions as I feel I can give some genuine honest answers, if you want them.
    Some of my previous cars - all new - Renault 16TS, Nissan Skyline, Volvo 760, BMW 535i, 300E with full AMG conversion 124 series Merc, Lexus LS400, S300 140 series Merc, 3 Range Rovers, 2 Porsche 911 C4's.
    My wife drives a '98 BMW 528i, 23 y.o. son a 2003 model Holden Commodore SS Ute with your beautifull 5.7 Chevvy Gen 3 V8/6 speed manual and 20 y.o. daughter a s/hand '96 BMW 316i Compact. I also have a 2004 Holden Maloo R8 ute (285kw Gen 3/6 speed man. built by Holden Special Vehicles as a hack vehicle. And, no, I don't have shares in BMW AG or G.M. Holden!!
    Oh, Mr Edmunds, can I have a little Aussie flag beside my name too please??!!
    Love your website - takes my mind off business things - very theraputic!!
    Garry, I just took delivery of my 645ci two weeks ago also and my opinions mirror yours. I found the iDrive easy to use, I also don't understand all the fuss (after all, if you are smart enough to make the money to buy this car your probably smart enough to operate it :). It handles like it is on rails, love the active steering. I also agree that the ride is somewhat harsh but as you say, this is a sports car. The ride does have to do with he run flat ultra low profile tires and the sport suspension. I applaud BMW for not making this car a shopping mall poser.

I also have exactly the same feeling with throttle response. A little hard to modulate the power band from stop at low end RPM's (I received a call from the BMW engineering department wanting my impressions of the car and I reported this) they said they had not heard that observation before and I thought it was just me.

About the impression this car makes:

First off, I live in Orange County, California. There is a lot of people with money here and a lot of nice cars on the road. EVERY time I have taken this car out on the road heads turn big time! I am approached in parking lots, valets freak, cars parallel me on the freeway then orbit my car to get a look at all angles. You are absolutly correct NO mistaking this car.

I am not embarrased to say I bought this car for a few primary reasons: performance, status and to stand out in the crowd. This car has exceeded my expectations in all these areas. Very satisfied!
  • pvh3pvh3 Member Posts: 15
    Hey guys and/or gals, I must agree with you on both the iDrive system and the 1st gear. I think the reason so many people are anti-iDrive is because when it was first introduced on the redesigned 7-series, it was a mess. It was improved for the 5-series redesign and I believe that's the version we have in the 645. I have had an itty-bitty problem though. Whenever I have a CD playing from the CD changer, when I return to the car after shutting the enigine down, the iDrive display shows the wrong CD number even though the correct CD is still playing, e.g., cut the car off playing #5, the display shows #6 when I return.

As for 1st gear, I have the SMG tranny and starting from a dead stop almost killed me a couple of times. I find the throttle response in 1st gear very erratic. I wrote to my friend Warren Brown, the automotive editor of the Washington Post, and he said he had the same problem with the test car he drove. He described it as being "1st gear interolerant" so he always started off in 2nd gear.

With all that said I absolutely love, love, love this car. My last two cars were an MB E500 and an MB SL500. I don't think I'll be looking back!
  • rnfrnf Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 645Ci Coupe for five weeks. Fantastic performance. I've adjusted to the accelerator, but still find the ride a bit too harsh on our city streets. Highway driving is great.

I have the same problem with the CD changer as Gary. I pointed this out to the dealer. He says it's a software problem that BMW is working on. My major complaint is no satelite radio and no bluetooth phone. Does anyone know when those will be available?

The only repair that I've had to deal with is loss of battery charge. Seems the alarm system was draining the battery. The temporary fix was to unplug the alarm system until a replacement module could be shipped from Germany. It finally arrived last week, and the defective module is being replaced today.
  • texbmwtexbmw Member Posts: 25
    Has anyone asked the dealer about installing the Bluetooth module? I have a 2003 540i, a model which is not even supposed to be Bluetooth compatible. I had the dealer install the BMW Bluetooth module and it works flawlessly. It mounted in the armrest and operates through the steering wheel controls. It seems that some dealers are unaware that this is a possibility unless BMWNA informs them so.
  • schowschow Member Posts: 15
    Hello. New to forum.
    Have had 645 since May, with SMG/sport package and premium sound.
    Car is fantastic! Opinion mirrors the forum.
    As far as the SMG goes, 1st gear there is a lull at around 1700 rpm. Becomes very noticeable on hard throttling. Had the dealer service manager take a ride with me. He had very little (none) experience with the SMG shifter, but believes that it is a clutch fade that I'm feeling. Been starting from 2nd gear many times.
    The "automatic" mode for the SMG is not very good. Too abrupt, lurches. Much rather control manually.
    Also, the CD changer does not display the accurate disc when the car is turned off and restarted. I figured it's a software problem, doesn't bother me that much.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    You know Warren Brown? Wow - tha man is perhaps my favorite auto reviewer!
  • mjollnirmjollnir Member Posts: 16
    I like the trunk design. The rear view gives the car a look of substance and it was blended in very well. This is of course subjective. Functionally, the deck design was engineered to provide stability at high speed. Audi had to redsign their TT with a spoiler because of complaints the rear end got light at high speed.
    Remember driving 120+mph is normal in Germany if you have the car that can do it. The 645ci is limited electronically to 150. BMW wisely chose to integrate the spoiler while providing welcome trunk space - much preferable to a small trunk with a spoiler tacked on.
  • ajroseajrose Member Posts: 29
    I just read Edmunds' follow up review of the 6 convertible and noticed that the interior was a bone colored leather. I have not seen this option at any dealer or in any brochure. I remember someone saying any BMW color is available, however my dealer seems to disagree stating that German engineers know what combinations look good.

I am getting close to taking the plunge but have not decided on a color scheme yet. I will not get a black interior and I do not like the maroon.
    Check out the bmwusa website. A creme beige leather interior is offered. The site allows you to view different combinations. Some combos are not allowed i.e. light birch trim with the red leather.
    I find it hard to believe you really drove this car. I have driven the 645 with both sport and normal suspensions. The 645ci is quantifiably quieter than a CLK500 and the seating is better. Excellent steering feel? If anything the BMW seems a bit numb. You are correct about the handling which blows the CLK 500 away. The 645 has a better ride than the 545i with sport suspension and the M3. The 645 has top in class comfort compared to cars of comparable performance. There is no need to soften the suspension - just don't get the sport package, DUH. The 330ci is not remotely comparable to the 645ci except they are both coupes. The 330ci is entry level, a decent car but crude in comparison. A 330ci is a German secretary's aspiration, the boss drives the 645ci.
  • ajroseajrose Member Posts: 29
    The interior pics shown in Edmunds' review are definitely not cream beige. more like bone. They do not appear as a choice on the website.

In looking back through posts, getting any BMW color (int or ext) is possible. Has anyone else been successful in getting something that is not a standard combination?
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    “I remember someone saying any BMW color is available, however my dealer seems to disagree stating that German engineers know what combinations look good.”

I believe I said that in this thread. I trust German engineers do know which colors look good. Too bad they have nothing to do with it. This is a typical jerky comment from a sales rep. As far as getting combos that are not stock offerings, check with other salespeople/dealers if it’s important and you have the patience. Not only did my dealer tell me you can combine, I have seen a BMW on the road with a custom combo, and it just so happened to be the combo I had inquired about. In my case I was not willing to wait and pay more.
    #100 of 129 My Dealer freaked at my int/ext color choice by 6fanatic May 09, 2004 (9:21 pm)
    Guys, I did not like the black and hated the red interiors but wanted the Titanium Silver exterior (this color absolutely GLOWS in the sun and stays looking new a LONG time) so I ordered the cream beige interior with it.

My dealership, Irvine BMW, tried to talk me out of it because even though I put down a $1,000 deposit at time of order they were concerned if I backed out of it when seeing it they would have a car on the lot that might not get the full $5,000 over invoice. I put a lot of thought into my order an think the combination will look good. I also like that it seems no one else has ordered this combo and it will be unique.

Anyone else out there with this combo?

Currently the only non special order combo beige int is silver,black,white combo' s. I thought the Mineral Silver was a very soft color and black is so hard to keep looking good (I salute those of you who are going to be trying to keep them looking new). My 6 arrives at my dealership in 2 more weeks. Can't wait!

Irvine BMW has been a great dealership to buy from and I would recommend them to anyone. They were truly concerned about me liking the car and even steered my away from ordering some options that I really did not need. Very straight forward, no games.
    My 645ci was just delivered in titanium silver and you are right - it does glow in the sun... and in the moonlight, too. Just beautiful. I think the light color really shows off the sculpted body lines of the car. Pictures really don't do it justice. The car is still a rarity here in Germany and it gets alot of positive attention. Guys hammering down the left lane will slow up, pedestrians will stop and stare and, unfortunately, the gate guards stop me more frequently for "inspection".
    Boy, I was not prepared for the attention my 645ci has received on the road, in parking lots, in gas stations, at the drive thru and everywhere I take it. I live in Orange County, California where there is a lot of money and a lot of $80,000 cars, in spite of that my six gets stared at right and left. People are constantly approaching me to ask about it. BMW has scored a perfect hit with the design of this car. It oozes prestige, status, power, sophistication and style.

This car makes a define impression on people, I love it!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Funny story. (sort of)

I have a friend who is not tech-shy, but gets annoyed when the technology isn't intuitive.

So he and I went to the BMW dealership and he proposed the following to the salesman:

"If you can do TWO things while driving this car (a 645) I will buy this car today, right now".

So salesman says "sure".

"Okay. I want you to preset the radio to NPR and PRI, and then I want you to preset my climate control to 70 degrees, both while driving along".

Well, turns out the salesman couldn't do it.

The systems might be "improved" but it looks to me that all they have done with iDrive is put in a reset button that takes you back to the top of the menu if you get lost.

The reason I brought this up was to sort of "eat my words". I used to say that something like iDrive is not going to deter a serious BMW buyer but seeing is believing, and I may have to change my attitude about this issue.
    Most reviewers take a quick drive, can't immediately manage the i-drive and condemn it. One must really sit down with the manual and spend a little time with it. It is not difficult and opens up quite a few options - the vast majority of them are set once to personal preference and forgotten like the balance/fader on the hifi or the climate vent settings. One does not need the i-drive at all to manage the climate temperature- it is right in front of you on the dash for both driver and passenger. Once you set up your radio, one has several options to locate a station while driving including voice activation to call up the station you want - very cool and your eyes never leave the road.
    I read in the paper that BMW is recalling (worldwide) approx 4000 vehicles - 5-,6-,and 7- series with v-8 or v-12 engines that were produced between May 04 and 6 July 04. My 6er was on the list. The problem is a defective electronic part that may cause the engine to shut off. You may want to check with your dealer on this. BMW hasn't been real proactive getting this out - if I hadn't seen it in the paper, I would not have known about it.
    I had just received a mailing from BMW about the recall.
    I scheduled my appointment with my dealer. They said it should take about an hour to correct.
    The recall involves 2004 model year 545i, 645Ci, 645Cic.
    The defect involves a circular fuel retention clip along the fuel supply line. The clip was inadvertently not installed. It means in a frontal crash, fuel might leak and ignite. Does not affect vehicle performance whatsoever.
    I agree with mjollnir. How difficult is it to set the radio station, hit the MENU button and toggle to climate control. That's only 3 steps!
    Hi schow - this is a different recall - check out the link. On this one the engine can cut out on you and you loose the steering and brake assist. BMW loaded mine on a flat bed truck this morning in front of the house rather than have me drive it over to the dealer. They told be it would be 2 weeks with a loaner - and this is in Germany. I am going through withdrawls already - can't believe this is happening.
    Well let me issue you a friendly challenge...go to a BMW and try it cold and see how you do.

I like to think I'm not a dummy but I sat there with the manual and I couldn't get it to work either. Nor could my friend. Nor could the salesman. His response was "it worked yesterday" GREAT sales pitch---LOL!

It's incredibly tedious and certainly not intuitive. I have little patience with this sort of thing I will admit.
    Thanks for the info.
    Checked out the link.
    Thankfully, my vehicle was produced from March to April, and I picked it up on May 1, 2004.
  • confused2confused2 Member Posts: 4
    I just read a review that cited poor visibility in the coupe and even worse visibility in the convertible. While the convertible looks amazing even with the top up - and not all cars do - the rear window looked tiny. I am considering adding my name to the waiting list, but am concerned about safety, especially since my wife will also be driving the car. Any views. Also, I assume cars are selling for MSRP or higher??
    Higher, between 5-10 K in Southern California at least......
    It is amazing to me that some folks can't change the radio station. If you can't figure out the set-up using i-drive, just use the steering wheel buttons or say "radio on frequency 104.5" abd there is your station. What could be easier? The salespeople would be buying rather than selling BMWs if they had a lot on the ball - I would not hold them up as a particularly high standard. Regardless, the car is SO much more than the radio, it is a shame to loose it in a petty personal detail. The HK Digital Surround HiFi is the best sounding car hifi out there, just magic - the only thing that comes close is in the Lexus.
    Well everything is easy once you know how--LOL!

By the way, I really like the 6-series. I wish my friend had bought one.
    ajrose - I was looking through a German market pricelist for the 6 and I noticed the German market offers an "exclusivleder pearl" leather option for an extra 1700 euros - that might be what you were admiring. The German pricing is different - less standard features but more options at extra cost. I suspect it might be costly, if it were at all possible, to get a German market option on a US spec car - I would imagine they would have to pull it off the normal production line for the special installation.
    are actually pretty good. The Germans have to pay this 16% tax and pay up for options that come standard on US models. I saw a well equiped 6er convertible (black on black with contrasting light birch wood - a beauty)in a BMW showroom going for a cool 100k euro or about $125,000 with tax, no dealer markup.
  • flptopflptop Member Posts: 2
    I have a 6 convertible awaiting the recall fix.While I could not get the BMW North America site to show me the color combination I wanted, I ordered Atlanta Blue with cream interior and gray top. As I understand it, BMW will make any combination offered for the 6,which is a limited choice of two tops and three interiors. I don't think they will offer any color in the BMW inventory for all cars. The limited choices ended up giving me a strange combination--but I didn't like any of the others.
    I live in New Jersey. I got the sport package, premium sound, and the cold weather package, and the SMG tranny.
    Total price little over $78,000. My dealer did not mark up the price.
    Looks like you did well. I understand most are going for about 80-85k. i heard one dealer in Malibu was asking $106k. Supply and demand. The German automotive press has been very favorable - Auto Motor und Sport ran a very comprehensive double test of the 6er coupe against the 911 40 year anniversary model to see which would rule as "der beste Sportwagen Deutschlands". Although the Porsche was quicker off the line, the 6er cleaned up in most other categories. Out of a possible 650 points, the 6er got 499 while the Porsche came in with 455.
  • wjfirewjfire Member Posts: 1
    2 weeks ago I paid for my 645ci convertible, traded in my 2002 m3 conv. drove my new car 45 miles, the dealer picked it up at my house the next day due to the recall and no one can tell me when the part will be in. I am so disappointed as to how BMW is handling this. Anything we can do
    Wish I knew. Mine got carted off about 1 week ago but it seems like a month. It is just sitting there outside at the dealership - I should have just kept it in the garage until they got the part - didn't know there was going to be a long wait until after the car was picked up. I suspect BMW wanted to gather them all up quickly before there was an accident. Normally they can get a part in 3 days. I wouldn't feel so bad if I got a decent loaner. They got me this 316 compact - sort of like a BMW Smart car. Not a fair trade for a 6er.
    Just got her back today. They didn't require much time to actually repair the car once they had the part. Don't give up wjfire, help is on the way.
  • grogsuzgrogsuz Member Posts: 14
    I just received my production number for my '05 coupe and have verified via BMWUSA owner's circle the factory does indeed have locked in my order.Production is scheduled for the week of 9-20.Now comes the dreaded wait,but will be offset by anticipation of Performance Center delivery.
               Has anybody in this forum taken delivery in Spartanburg? Looking forward to sharing driving experiences and ownership issues with other owners.
    I wanted to take European Delivery on my 04 645ci that was delivered two months ago, or, at a minimum Performance Center delivery. Neither was available.

However, do not despair, I received a letter from BMW inviting me and a guest to Spartanburg to 645 performance driving school with 10 other 645 owners for two full days and nights, as BMW guest.

One of the features of the invite is driving a 645 up into the Blur Ridge mountains on a spectacular road and staying the night at the Blue Ridge Inn and Spa at the top. Great caravan opportunity with other owners!! I have up to a year to schedule the trip at their expense.

BMW definetly treats their customers right, very cool......
    Everyone who buys a 645 is offered the trip to Spartanburg.
    Looking forward to scheduling the trip.
    Yes I realize that. I was informing grogsuz of it since he was asking....
This discussion has been closed.