Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 6-Series

1235»

Comments

• melissajaxmelissajax Member Posts: 1
    My dealer says tough luck. Even though there is a Bluetooth passkey card in my manual, the car does not have Bluetooth, and the only way to get it is to spend over $1000 to have it installed.
  • bsundownerc23bsundownerc23 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know any detail on the expected 650? When will it be available? Any changes over the 645? My father has ordered a 645 which will get delivered on about a month and I am trying to get him to change his mind and wait for the 650.

Thanks
  • 645iron645iron Member Posts: 2
    So did you get the combo you wanted? I suppose if I was going to order this late in the year I would see if a 650 was coming out, however If no changes to exterior a I think plenty enough power with current engine, wish I would of test drove with 21 inch bmw dealer wheels I like the look star spoke pattern
  • stephenlstephenl Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone out there participated in the driving experience that BMW offers to the 6 series purchasers? If so, I would like to hear your feedback. Thanks.
  • braunybrauny Member Posts: 3
    I think my new 645 Coupe is the max. I want to add a BMW Sirius receiver, however all of the dealers I have called want between $800 and $1100 for it installed. Does anyone know how difficult it is for self-installation? If not, does anyone know of a dealer in Southern California who will install it for less.
  • medguymedguy Member Posts: 7
    I talked with the head of a BMW dealership here a couple of months ago and he also talked about the 650. Lately he is not speaking anymore about it and is pushing me towards the 05. Makes me wonder if a release date is pending and he's not talking because he wants to sell his existing inventory. Does anybody have any news about the release of the 650?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Kinda like why the 545i is now becoming the 550i. If you like the 6 Series, you'll probably get a better price on the 645. I wouldn't hesitate to do it, and if he wants to push the 645 so much since he does want to clear it from inventory, see just how willing he is to part with it ;). Just make sure it has what you want on it and do not settle. I doubt it would be easy to order a 645 exactly how you want it. If it isn't what you want, hold out and get the 650 when it is available.

-Paul
    Thanks for the reply!. Are we talking this year...like late fall? also do you have any idea what types of changes/improvements may be in store for the 650?. I heard rumors of a triple screen user friendly I-drive(if there is such a thing!) And you're correct I am holding out for a deal on the 05. But timing will make a difference. Inventories seem pretty good in Atlanta.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    650's are already out... Not too many available on dealers' lots yet, but the car is officially out, nonetheless.
    Well my guy here is keeping it under wraps. Saying not sure when they will be here and absolutely no committments on deliveries. Not a surprise. Any info about what has changed if any?
    Who's your dealer? I'll try to do some "independent investigation"..... :)
    BMW Gwinnett in Duluth ,GA but another friend referred me to BMW of Roswell. I have not been pleased with the service(or should I say lack of) at BMW Gwinnett. I'll consider a recommendation of anyone in any of the Atlanta BMW dealers that is good and will shoot straight with me. and thanks very much for your response and help. are you an owner? :) ">
    If he is just wanting to unload inventory and not take an order for a 650, then I'd find somebody a bit better. Maybe somebody up in Buckhead area?

The only change I know of is the engine change, but I'm sure there are others. Maybe HUD or adaptive cruise standard... I dunno.

As for a 3 window iDrive, unless they grow the size of those screens, those would be pretty small windows for viewing much. Even in the 3, 5, and 7, the screens aren't big. From the 2 screen version I've seen with Nav in one of them, that would be nice. But I've heard people say they'd like to have the nav in the larger of the two windows. That makes sense.

Have you tried the BMW site to build your own?

-Paul
    Found out a few things.... There is some partial truth to what the guy said.... His dealership isn't getting any in anytime soon. No allocation to speak of for them... probably because they don't do much business or their CSI scores are terrible. So who knows when they'll get a new 6-Series.

I found out that Roswell has a 650i Convertible coming in today, tomorrow, or the next day.... Same for Nalley in Decatur and Hank Aaron in Union City. Fewer coupes out there. None on the ground in GA yet. The first to show up will be 2nd week of Oct at Global Imports in Atlanta.
    Thanks very much for the msg. Yeah I'm sure you're correct. I heard about the triple screen I-drive in a conversation with a dealer in San Diego. It woulkd be a very small screen and viewing could be a challenge. This seems to be the bane of everyone but I am set on the car. And yes I've done the BMW configure and i have noticed that nothing seems to have changed much
    Thanks very much for your message and for your investigation. I was looking for a contact over at Roswell yesterday. I will get over there as soon as possible. i have not totally decided on the convertible as I really like the coupe as well. Maybe if there are some killer deals on a an 05 I should consider it if not much has changed
    about the 650, here ya go...

2006 650i Brochure.

-Paul
  • thinkinboutitthinkinboutit Member Posts: 7
    Is there anyone who has purchased the 05 645 and is having problems with the car. I am interested in purchasing a 05.
  • ajroseajrose Member Posts: 29
    I purchased an 05 645 in late November 04 (6 sp, sport). I now have 23k miles on the car without any problems. My only annoyance with the car is an occasional slight rattle from the sunroof area which the dealer has been unable to locate and eliminate. I have had zero mechanical issues and the car is just a spectacular ride.
  • thinkinboutitthinkinboutit Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the reply.
    Is there any diference in the I-Drive on the 04,05 AND now the 06 Series. Any one have any idea about this?
    The nav system on my 645 has gotten lost. It does not know where the car is. It can be from 2 blocks to a mile off. Anyone else have this problem?
    Have you put on different size tires/wheels? A lot of the newer NAV systems actually need to know the outer diameter so it can accurately gauge location. That may be part of it. I've been looking at nav solutions and actually came across this last week as a possible issue.

If not, take it to the dealer and have em look at it. Maybe a problem with the map on the DVD or a problem with the antenna or the iDrive itself.

Sorry, not much to help with.

-Paul
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Paul, I haven't forgotten about your copy of Roundel containing the 6er article. I should get it in a couple of weeks.
    When you going to make a Turkey Bay run in your Jeep? :)

I know I just need to join the BMWCCA, but I can't say as I like the chapter in Alabama. They don't seem to do too much. :(

-Paul
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    When you going to make a Turkey Bay run in your Jeep?

Hopefully this summer.

I know I just need to join the BMWCCA, but I can't say as I like the chapter in Alabama. They don't seem to do too much

I think that you can still join but request to be assigned to another chapter of your choice-such as Bluegrass ;) ; that way you'd still get a CCA discount on parts/service AND $500-$1000 off your next new or CPO BMW :D
    Paul,

Thanks for the suggestions. I suspect it might be the antenna. The tires are the same as on all other 645's.
    Since the car is under warranty I have put it in the dealer's hands

brauny
  • stphoto1stphoto1 Member Posts: 1
    Does either of these cars have Bluetooth for my cell phone. Is it good? Does it utilize the car antenna or just the sound system?
    But I believe it is part of one of the packages (Nav or Premium Package). If you have BMW Assist, then Bluetooth is automatically included as well.

-Paul
    I'd test drive one. I've driven the Vette, MB SLK, Porsche Cayenne (not the Cayman :( ). I don't think you'll be disappointed. I haven't heard of many issues with the 6 as far as reliability, other than minor iDrive nits.

The current 6 came out as a 2004, and is now on it's 3rd model year. :)

-Paul
    From pictures I've seen on the 3 series board, I think the spy shots are showing it as a hard top, but who really knows. The 2006 3 Series + forum might be a better place to ask.

-Paul
  • efnstefnefnstefn Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a source for ADESA auction values? I'm looking to buy a 2004-2005 645ci and need some inside info to get the best deal out there.

I'm finding 04's with average, 36k, miles around the low $50's...but what is the auction price? That is the info I need for the negotiation. I'm in CT, but will go anywhere to track down a deal.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,810
    Try posting your question here:

Real-World Trade-In Values

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

04's don't seem to have all the electronics if you are wanting bluetooth, MP3 capability, etc, so if that kind of stuff is important, you may want to consider an 05 645 (coupe or vert).

-Paul
  • ms09ms09 Member Posts: 112
    i want to know can any1 tell when the n ext gen of 6 series is coming, and how good is the 6 series
    Your definition of Good is pretty vague. Can you be more specific on your definition?

2008 is supposed to bring some minor changes cosmetically, but I think you'll be seeing some new engine options soon, including the 3.0 TT that you find in the current 3 series, and what is coming to the 5 next year. I've heard rumor of a turbo diesel in the 6 (and 5) soon too.

The E63/64 came out in 04, so I wouldn't expect a whole lot of changes until about 2010, which is about the normal lifecycle for a BMW body style.

Considering the weight of this car, it performs quite well in both 4.4L and 4.8 (650i) form.

-Paul
  • chitaichitai Member Posts: 1
    I would like to repace a airbags unit control myself and please show me know where is the airbag control unit located? Thanks a lot

Chi
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Since I live in the NE and would use for business as well, I anticipate that I would have the top dropped only about 30% of the time. Can anyone give their experience with:
    Noise level with top up.(coupe-like mode)
    Level of light in cabin. Is it too dark without a moon roof?
    Visibility.

Thanks.
  • yan55555yan55555 Member Posts: 1
    August 9, 2007
    I took my BMW 645ci 2004 to Fields BMW, which is located in Northfield, IL to adjust tire pressure, do oil change and just to have a check out on the car. I got the car back the same day and everything was fine.
    August 10, 2007
    Around 2AM I was coming back from the Movies and was driving on I94. When I was just about to be by Peterson Exit an engine light came on that stated something along these lines, “Engine Overheat, pull over to the side do not lift the hood, let the vehicle cool down”, as soon as I saw that I took the Peterson Exit, my intentions were to pull over to the side immediately and do as the computer advised. When I exited the highway I stopped at the stop light, not a lot, but smoke started coming out under the hood. I pulled over to the first side street that I saw and completely shut down the car.
    My knowledge of cars is not very big; actually I would call myself car illiterate. I decided to call one of my friends to see what I should do in a situation like this. He told me to turn the heat on to max and drive with open windows. I could not do that because I have already shut the car down. I thought about calling a towing company, but because I was only about 8 minutes away from home and because it was 2AM I did not feel safe to just sit around on a side street. After waiting for about 15 minutes, I decided to turn the car back on to see if perhaps the Engine overheat was caused by hot weather. Previously I had Pontiac Sunfire that sometimes overheated in the summer, and me waiting out in the shadow for about 10 minutes usually solved the problem. When I turned the car back on the light was gone and I thought to myself it will be safe to drive the car back. I drove car home, the engine light did not appear for the rest of the way.
    Please keep in mind that this is happening 1 day after I took my car in for service, so this whole time in the back of my head I am thinking how could something be wrong I just took my car in for service, they would have seen something.
    August 11, 2007
    I decided to go to the office, which is located right next to Fields BMW and while I was at the office I thought I would take my car in so they could see what is wrong with it. While driving on the highway the light came on again. Luckily I was minutes away from the exit when the Engine Light came on, one of my friends was hit by a car while changing a tire on the side of the highway one time, since then whenever I drive I just hope nothing goes wrong with the car so I will not have to pull over to the side. As soon as I exited the highway I pulled over into a Starbucks parking lot. From there I called Fields BMW stating what had happened. The advisor over the phone told me that I could either call a towing truck or drive the car in if I could. I told him okay, I could drive the car in. He did not say, oh wait the engine light is on, so do not drive the car and only call the towing truck, he gave an option of driving the car in after I told him everything that had happened.
    I brought my car in, they popped the hood open, I went over to the car because I was curious to see what happened. One of their technicians pointed to a spot where there were 2 pipes that were disconnected and said that there was suppose to be a clip that holds them together but it is gone…
    I was amused, how could this have possibly happened? I asked the technician what could have caused that, he did not have an answer for me. I would assume that the parts do not just fall off a 2004 645Ci… maybe this was caused by my visit to Fields that took place just 2 days prior to the clip being missing.
    The advisor told me that there is nothing they could do at that moment and that I will have to wait until Monday to find out what the damage is and why it was caused; they would have to talk to a technician that worked on my car on Thursday. I asked him what could possibly cause this… he had no answer for me. Robert Schaefer, a Service Manager was standing by, so I explained what had happened. After looking at the car and seeing the damage done, he said it could have been a coincidence that the part was missing and that sometimes it does happen. He had no definite answer for me either, but did say that most likely it was not caused by one of the technicians that worked on the car. He told me to come on Monday and talk to Jerry, because Jerry would be the one who would have more information on it.
    So there I was on a Saturday afternoon, in the suburbs about 12 miles away from home without transportation. Unfortunately for me the Enterprise inside Fields BMW was closed and they did not want to give me a loaner because the car was not purchased from them. I asked them, what am I suppose to do…? How am I going to get home, what am I suppose to do as far as transportation for the weekend? They pretty much recommended me nothing…
    Luckily my office is only minutes away from Fields BMW. I went back to the office and started looking around for a potential place to rent a car. I found Hertz that was close by. When I called them, the only person that was there was Dusan Stojkovic a Branch Manager who said I am calling them after hours and technically they were closed. After I explained the story to him and pretty much told him, that I had no other way of getting home or even getting to work on Monday besides Taxi, Dusan came picked me up and took me back to Hertz to land me a vehicle. I contacted Fields BMW and asked them how much would be covered if I had rented a car from Hertz, they told me that they can only cover $30 a day. I do drive a 2004, 645ci and not a 1994 323i, and the best they could offer me were $30. Even though I would have been fine with that just to get a car, but the least expensive car that was available was at $40 a day. I asked a Fields representative over the phone if that was acceptable, he transferred me to Robert Schaefer. Robert told me that they only cover up to $30 because that is how much Enterprise usually charges, which was closed that day. I was upset and re-told him the whole story, which is why I did not have a car at the moment. To which he told me that I should have brought the car in as soon as I called them in the morning. I became furious, because I brought the car in 5 minutes after I called. I had no choice, but to take the car that was $40.00.
    August 13, 2007
    I went to Fields BMW to talk to Jerry Marichall, a Service Manager. I told Jerry everything that had happened. Jerry seemed very understanding of my situation and was apologizing for all the inconvenience. Right away Jerry gave me one of Fields’ Loaners and told me that the Bill that I got from Hertz will be fully taken care off. He told me that he would contact me the next day to follow up.
    August 14, 2007
    After not hearing from Jerry at around 2pm I decided to call him myself. Jerry advised me that they were still looking at the car and trying to see what had gone wrong and that he will get back
    Okay, so your car overheated after a dealer visit, it is being addressed and you got BMW to give you a loaner.

Trying to take a car in is a pain as it is, and you had trouble getting Enterprise, who is NOT a BMW dealer, to get you a car when they are closed? How is that BMW's problem? When you dropped it off, you could have made the point about a loaner at that time, but it is 100% at the discretion of the dealer as to giving out loaners for folks who have not purchased from them. Other car dealers are similar, as far as I know.

What could have been different to make you make a post that says "BMW ROCKS"? That they just blindly said, "Sure, we'll cover everything." w/o having looked at it, done research etc? This was a month ago. What is the status now? Still in the shop? Car engine seized?

It sounds like they are doing what they can to cover your expenses and get your 6er back on the road, which is a LOT more than a LOT of dealers, including non-BMW ones, would do.

-Paul
  • shipsavshipsav Member Posts: 1
    Why am I not able to find service manuals for the older 6 series vehicles? Where can I get one. Chilton and Bentley manuals are incomplete.
    Bentley is considered perhaps the best one out there. What areas are not being covered? You MAY be able to find a factory service manual, but they're hard to come by.

-Paul
  • jaffmanjaffman Member Posts: 51
    hi folks. not exactly sure where to post this, but any input appreciated:

im considering two cars: 2007 bmw 650i conv loaded w/27k miles, mint, like new for 45k, or 2010 audi a5 convertible, loaded, 3400 miles, for 52k.

which one and why?

thanks!
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Hi,

To begin with, A5 is new, looks better, nicer interior, only 3400m used is nothing compared to 27000m.

If u could get a used S5 might be a better choice.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,810
    Are you a boulevard cruiser, or a hard-core driving enthusiast?

It's not that cut-and-dried, but maybe, close...

From a pure value standpoint, the A5 is probably the better deal.. and, a better looking car.. Unless you are a real RWD fanatic, that's the way I would go.. more warranty left on the Audi..

I haven't checked prices, but that seems high for the 650i vert...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Having owned a 6 and an Audi, I can say BMW's electronics are worlds above Audi's. MMI is a great technology, but little nuances here and there make it goofy. Trunk latches that won't engage. Sensors saying directional lights are bad. Sensors report quite a few false positives on our Audi. If they've improved over the last few years, the new S5 would be a serious contender.

My 6 convertible didn't have any electronic issues. The only one it ever went in for was an iDrive update and a TSB that they wanted to perform even though I never got the error they were fixing (sensor said roof wasn't closed, even though I visually confirmed).

Personally, I'd go with the BMW. But I do admit the styling of the newer Audi's is beautiful.

-Paul
  • dontnonuttindontnonuttin Member Posts: 2
    I need some overall info about this model. I'm looking at one with 122k on it. For example; electronics; mechanicals; suspension; engine; etc. How have they faired over the years? What are the problems that pop up on these cars? Thanks!! dontnonuttin
    122k is quite a bit and hard to find CPO. I never had any major issues with mine at all while I owned it. I drove it like it was meant to be - it was NOT babied.

That said, the electronics could be problematic IF you get one that is buggy (mine was not). My only issues were iDrive related and the dealer did iDrive upgrades as part of my warranty. NO mechanical issues at all, but if the model you have has Active Steering and such, again something more complex than you may want to mess with if there is an issue.

More importantly, you may want to check your area for BMW technicians NOT associated with the dealership.

The 4.4 and 4.8 engines are VERY solid engines as long as you maintain them. Mine used synthetic from day 1 and I changed every 7500 miles despite the 15k recommendation from BMW. Mobil 1 only for me. I did every other change myself - it's easy to do. Suspension was not a problem at all, and I ran the M6 wheels on mine. I did change from the runflats to the non-runflats and kept an air compressor, can of fix-a-flat in the trunk.

-Paul
  • dontnonuttindontnonuttin Member Posts: 2
    thanx for the info.... what's CPO?
    CPO = Certified pre-owned.

I misread your post and saw you were talking about a 1985 6 series, not a 2005. I must have needed more coffee that morning!

I have no insight on the 80's era 6 series.

-Paul
This discussion has been closed.