Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 6-Series

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Let's see, a 645Ci 6-Speed (three pedal variety), Sport Package and Premium Sound for $69,050 (or maybe a little less) via ED. Yeah, I think that car needs me to pick it up in the fatherland. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    BMW 645Ci U.S. MSRP: 69,300
    BMW 645Ci E.D. MSRP: 64,450

Destination and Handling: 650

Option/Description -- Price
    494/Heated Front Seats -- 500
    508/Park Distance Control -- 700
    531/Active Cruise Control -- 2,200
    610/Head-Up Display -- 1,000
    655/Satellite Radio -- 595
    693/Satellite Radio Prep -- 75
    ZPS/Premium Package -- 1,800 *
    ZSP/Sport Package -- 2,800

Best Regards,
    Shipo

* The source for this information may have typed the description incorrectly as ZPS typically denotes "Premium Sound" not "Premium Package" which is usually denoted with the ZPP code.
  • mash3mash3 Member Posts: 1
    I have placed an order for ED for pick up in July. I had been on the top of the wait list at my dealer and did not have any problem getting on the ED list.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Please turn off your CAPS LOCK.

thanks

Host
  • sgriefsgrief Member Posts: 2
    How do you get in the queue? What happens once you pick up the vehicle (presumably in Munich)? How does it get shipped back to the US? What's the shipping cost?
    To get into the queue, you simply visit your local dealer and tell him/her that you want the ED option. I understand that the new 6-Series is in very short supply for ED cars; however, time should cure that problem. Anyway, you configure your car just like you would if you were buying it domestically, arrange for financing and make your down payments through the dealer as well. The only real difference is the timing, for ED you need to make your initial payment a month earlier than you would with a domestic car.

As for delivery, yes, you pick the car up at the ED center in Munich, and BMW will provide you with a wonderful packet on the "Hows and wheres". The ED Center is something like 15 km from the airport, and can be reached via taxi or their excellent S-Bahn/U-Bahn light rail system, which has a stop about a quarter of a mile from the ED Center.

Regarding shipping, that is performed by EH Harms, which has drop off locations all over Europe, and is included in the cost of the ED program. For those of us who live on the East Coast, transit time is about 4-5 weeks. For the folks on the Left Coast, add another couple of weeks.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is hoping to connect with anyone who has or plans to place an order for a new BMW 6-Series. Please respond by Wednesday, March 10 to jfallon@edmunds.com with your name, daytime contact information and a few words about why that vehicle appeals to you.
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hoofen1hoofen1 Member Posts: 16
    I think the 645 is(finally) a worthy successor to the old 6,which I loved.But is it $15/20k better than the CLK Cabrio?? I think not.
  • ajroseajrose Member Posts: 29
    I recently replaced my 430 CLK with a BMW 540i 6 SP. Although the CLK's looks are terrific (IMHO), the ride of the BMW is a significant upgrade over the CLK.

If BMW can produce an auto that rivals the CLK in looks, there is no contest as to which marque I would like to drive.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    today!
  • shoesshoes Member Posts: 131
    I drove the new six this weekend. Many of the same characteristics as the 545 which of course shares the engine and chasis. Reduced visibility out the rear, cushier seats, no armrest for your right arm are the major differences. I think the coupe looks great in the front and terrible from the rear. Most dealers here in SF are asking $10-20 over MSRP and they are discounting the 5 series, so this makes the choice a little easier.
    And I was hoping for 10-20k under list! lol

No right armrest???
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I drove a mineral silver ragtop, and it was quite impressive. Handled like a BMW, and had a big car ride. My only disappointment was the lack of room in the back. The headroom in the back was ok in the convertible, but not in the coupe.

There was a center armrest. You could raise the top of the console about an inch.

The personal luxury car returns!! BMW builds an Eldorado!! :-)
    There is a center console but to use it as an arm rest requires a stretch only a monkee could find comfortable. There is no way a human can rest his arms on both the door arm rest and the center console at the same time, which is something you can do in the 5 series.
  • 6fanatic6fanatic Member Posts: 16
    Anyone have a 6 ordered for ED? Did you have to pay over invoice? What's the lead time for picking up in Munich? I hear about 3 months from time of order.
  • caltricaltri Member Posts: 5
    Initially, I was really looking forward to the 6 Series. But, that enthusiasm quickly waned once I actually drove one. While I loved the handling and excellent steering feel, its sport suspension is way too firm for a high end luxury coupe that is supposed to compete against the CL Class. It's bumpy noisy ride can't even compete against a CLK500. I know that since it's a coupe it is intended to be sportier than the 5 Series, with which it shares the same platform. But, this is a car that costs as much as a 7 Series sedan and is supposed to be a luxury car. BMW is well-known for being the automotive leader in successfully blending sporty performance handling with a quiet smooth luxurious ride. Unfortunately, they missed the target with this new coupe and should really soften the suspension and make it more aerodynamic. I think the 6 Series should sit in between the 5 and 7 in terms of luxury. Right now, it's worse than my 330Ci.
    Did the 6 you drove have the sport suspension? You could get a softer ride without the sport package.
    You have to have the sport package set up to get the active suspension and the variable ratio steering. The sport package on the 545 is pretty supple- have you tried that?
    Anyone have a 6 ordered for ED? How long is the wait? Paying over invoice? Know when the 2005 will be available for ED? Can I ask anymore questions? :)
  • saniksanik Member Posts: 1
    I do not know how they came up with "Ultimate Driving Machine", 3 series is the "THAT MACHINE".
    and when I first saw 6 series coupe and the reviews by our biased auto journalists (well known fact),
    about its beautiful design (one of the most ugliest coupes produced) I was surprised. Lucky for BMW, I guess they do not care much about these reviews ( if they do they won't have 7 series now), immediately they came out with convertible. And in fact it could be one of the most brilliant and significant move for any single product. Some how it transforms it self from an ugly coupe to one of the most beautiful and elegant convertible among current automobiles.
  • garrygarry Member Posts: 3
    Bangles has given BMW a long term future in his contemporary designs, aka 5, 6 and 7 series. The finished product for the upcoming 3 series sedan and 4 series coupe/convertible will be along the same lines.
    A few years into the model life of these new BM's, they will be developing this same new model lineup. Why? Because they will still be modern and stylish. Mercedes are coming up with some great new designs, too, aka CLK and SL series, but even these new cars, let alone the current A, C, E, S, ML and CL class are quickly becoming uninteresting, stereotyped and dated. Merc may have nowhere to go in a few years time - design-wise, if they soon don't take the plunge like BMW. The 7 is being facelifted in the last quarter of 2004 and it does need a little tweaking, remembering that this was Bangles first "contemporary" design. The 5 and certainly the 6 will grow on us all quickly, you watch. These cars will hasten the aging process for a lot of the others like MercBenz, Audi, Lexus (who badly need new designs). The first RHD 645Ci's arrive in Australia in May. I cancelled an order for a CL500 in favour of the BMW coupe. Why? Brand new, fresh design, state of the art interior, excellent up to the minute engine/transmission combination and chassis/suspension design. New body and trim colours, unique to the range. Being based on the 5-series it is not as large as the CL which is based on the S-class and which seems to be dating quickly now. I have some reservations about the build quality, paint and trim finish of Mercs of late, too. Whether this a Chrysler influence or not, I don't know. BMW are becoming more Lexus-like in the way they build and finish their cars. My car is slated for May build and July/August delivery. Can't wait!! To Edmunds, love your format and newsletters - thank you. Garry
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Interesting views. I really think Mercedes is doing the right thing by sticking with what works for them. That being classic design and evolutionary changes. There is nothing wierd or ugly (7-Series) or jarring (6-Series' trunklid) about any of the current Mercedes designs. The current E and especially CL are just sooo classic Mercedes-Benz in their looks.

If anything these new Bangle BMWs will appear dated in a few years, imo. Especially their interiors. No Mercedes has undergone such a facelift so quickly because of styling complaints.

That said I do give BMW credit for trying something new. The 7-Series was first so it was the trailblazer in the worst way. I think the 5-Series looks a lot better especially in darker colors (excuse). The 6-Series has all the menacing BMW shark-like features of the best BMWs, but I can't stand that trunk lid!

M
    I've been out of town for the last three weeks, and today as I was slogging through my pile of mail, I found a big black envelope from BMW that said "The new 6 -- Driven by excellence." Cool!

Inside was a nice letter from BMW-NA wishing me to enjoy the 40 page brochure, and suggesting that I would enjoy it even more if I were to go and experience a 645Ci firsthand.

I think that I'll do just that. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I read a review of the new 6 in Saturday's Boston Globe (5/1/04) which gave the car very high marks. Since the article referred to 19" wheels, I assume it was equipped with the sport package. It also referred to a switch which allowed the driver to chose between sport and soft suspension settings. This is the first I have heard about this. Can anyone enlighten me?
    I checked the archive of E63 pictures that I have and found one that shows a "Sport" button at the base of the transmission selector. Initially I had thought it was for the Automatic or the SMG (as in how "Sporty" do you want your shift program), however, in the below picture (linked to the site where I got part of my set), you will see that the button exists on the 6-Speed manual as well.

Armed with that bit of information, I found the following reference in the bmwusa.com web site:

"6-speed manual transmission with Dynamic Driving Control (Sport button)"

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • pvh3pvh3 Member Posts: 15
    I just purchased my new 645ci a week ago. It is black sapphire metallic w/black interior. Has sport package and SMG tranny. According to my owner's manual, the adaptive steering feature only works in the sport mode. Also, w/the SMG transmission, when sport mode is used, gear shifting occurs at lower RPMs when the tranny is set to shift automatically. Personally, I prefer to use the manual shifter. I didn't know what an SMG was but i have learned to love it...the power of a manual w/the convenience of an automatic. BTW, I had an MB SL500 and an MBE500 before purchasing this car. Gotta say, it's the nicest car I've ever owned. It has it all over MB in terms of performance....and yes, I even test drove the CLK500. It doesn't even come close.
    So, in the case of a three pedal 645Ci (as I would be inclined to order it), does the "Sport" button only change the steering mode and nothing else?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I just downloaded the 6-Series owners manual and found the following on pages 59 & 60:

Dynamic Driving Control
    The Dynamic Driving Control makes it possible for your BMW to react in an even more sports-oriented manner at the push of a button:
    > The engine responds more spontaneously to accelerator pedal movements
    > The steering conveys a feeling of even better contact with the road surface
    > Cruise control:
    The stored speed you call up is reached more quickly.

Additionally with SMG:
    > Gearshifts are faster
    > The engine speed range is used optimally in the Drive mode.

With automatic transmission:
    > The Sport program is activated.

Activating system
    With ignition key in position 2
    Press the SPORT button.
    The LED in the button lights up and SPORT is displayed in the instrument cluster.

Deactivating system
    > Press the SPORT button again or
    > engage reverse gear or
    > switch off the engine.
    The LED in the button and SPORT in the instrument cluster go out.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I spent some time at the dealers lusting over the new 6. The salesman explained that the sport mode changes shift points on the autos and decreases the aperture on the suspension which significantly tightens the feel. On the 3 pedal models it just affects the suspension.

As this dealer also sells MB, I checked out the CLK 500 (my last car was a CLK 430 and I am now in a 540i6). The CLK looks like an undeveloped teenager compared with the 6 (IMHO). It is also $20-25k less money.

Hate to be picky, but why can't they offer a dark exterior with a light interior?
    Per my previous post, it seems that your salesman failed to mention the change in the engine response. If you talk to him again, you might suggest that he check the manual. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I gotta say, I haven't noticed much of a difference when driving in sport mode. I'm not a gear-head or a high-performance type driver. The car is such a magnificent piece of automotive heaven that it feels right no matter what mode or transmission or whatever.

Just my two cents!
    Thanks for the feedback, I'm looking forward to driving one as soon as I can get my travel schedule under control, and maybe even doing a Spring 2005 ED trip to pick up a 645Ci. My wife and I did the ED thing for my current 530i and had a ball. She's wanted to go back and fetch another car ever since. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    LOL...your reference to the CLK as an "underdeveloped teenager" compared to the 6 is right on the money. I have already owned 2 MBs and the experience was horrible so I thought it was time for a change.

As for the dark exterior/light interior, since I wasn't sure if I wanted to take the car that was available w/the SMG tranny, I asked if they could order me a black one with the cream interior. They said they could. Of course, that means u have to wait. I didn't want to wait so I took the black on black w/the SMG.
    Black with cream awesome! Maybe I misread the color charts, I sure hope so. Something about a black interior.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Must be nice to have a wife wanting to go to do another ED. :)

We got our 6 brochure last night. My wife's comments: "Sexiest car she as EVER seen."

Unfortunately, it is not our budget right now. We may need to figure a way. :)

-Paul
    It's not in our budget at this point either, however, things are starting to develop a little here for us, and if they keep going, a 645Ci may fit into our future. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    I figure I will be able to afford one in about eight years, IF my ten year old son turns out to be a juvenile delinquent, and goes to jail instead of college.

My guess is I will be here living vicariously through Shipo.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

...is that it will be competing with financial resources that I could use to finish my flying lessons and buy a plane, or cede to Mrs. Shipos' desires and get a boat and/or a summer home up in the White Mountains. Or all three! Or none of the above. It kind of makes planning a little difficult. Hell, if things don't pan out, then the 530i may get turned in at lease end next spring and I may wind up driving our old MiniVan. :-/

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    The color is "cream beige." It's listed in the brochure. Before I bought mine I checked around to see if any dealers here in the DC area had any on hand. At least 3 of them had black with the red interior. They were all automatics and the only option was the premium sound system. (I heard a rumor that these were pre-production vehicles.) IMO the red interior is abosultely ghastly!!!! I have learned to love the black....I guess the upside is that it will be easier to keep clean.
    I checked BMW's website again and black/cream is available - obviously. I agree with you on the red, looks like a 70's vette.

Must say, it's sure nice not to have to make the above choices and have a Company car!
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    According to my dealer, you can order any exterior color that is made across any BMW platform regardless of interior, and regardless of what colors are listed on the web and in the catalogs. So if you want a 7-series color that is not listed for the 6, you can get it at no additional cost. There are also certain interior/exterior color combinations that are not listed. You can get them.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Yeah I know how that is going. We're taking sailings lessons out of Marina del Rey, taking diving classes to become a dive master, and I'm working on modding my Wrangler.

Kinda stinks that the funnest activities end up being the most expense. :/

-Paul
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    I see tons of these around (I live next to Beverly Hills now) and I must say they are getting prettier and prettier over prolonged exposure. The best of the new BMWs styling imo.
    Guys, I did not like the black and hated the red interiors but wanted the Titanium Silver exterior (this color absolutely GLOWS in the sun and stays looking new a LONG time) so I ordered the cream beige interior with it.

My dealership, Irvine BMW, tried to talk me out of it because even though I put down a $1,000 deposit at time of order they were concerned if I backed out of it when seeing it they would have a car on the lot that might not get the full $5,000 over invoice. I put a lot of thought into my order an think the combination will look good. I also like that it seems no one else has ordered this combo and it will be unique.

Anyone else out there with this combo?

Currently the only non special order combo beige int is silver,black,white combo' s. I thought the Mineral Silver was a very soft color and black is so hard to keep looking good (I salute those of you who are going to be trying to keep them looking new). My 6 arrives at my dealership in 2 more weeks. Can't wait!

Irvine BMW has been a great dealership to buy from and I would recommend them to anyone. They were truly concerned about me liking the car and even steered my away from ordering some options that I really did not need. Very straight forward, no games.
  • edkunkeledkunkel Member Posts: 26
    I would hate to pay over the invoice. It is against my religion. Can you get a 6 series in a timely manner with overseas delivery?

Eric
    Unfortunately Eric European Delivery in not currently available for the 6 series, that's what I wanted to do. The 6 is such a low production high demand car that if you want one in the near future it's over invoice and buy it here. I hear ya, it's against my religion to but the car is just such an awesome vehicle I did it anyway.
    It seems that his religion prohibits him from driving new BMWs too. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    ;)
    Hey Dale, have you decided to pull the trigger on the 6 or is the airplane draining your 6 cash?
    I'm leaning toward the plane. I just found not one but two mid 1950s Cessna 170Bs that I'm looking at. Unfortunately, once you get that tail-dragger thing in your blood, it's hard to get it out. ;-) Maybe the 6er can be had in 2006 or so.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
This discussion has been closed.