Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Colorado

Comments

• jlb2jlb2 Member Posts: 18
    2005 Z-71 Crewcab ,Shimmy at 55-60 off the lot, First trip to service all tires needed balance, Shimmy now at 60-65 Second trip and service mjr says the tires are the way they are and the frount end is ok.Being concerned about safety [wheels,axil,etc]called GM customer service and explained said they would ck and return call in 48hrs,waited 4 days no responce called the person I had talked to an left message each of the next 4 days and nothing.Went to Sears for rebalance an now shimmy at 50-55 plus today a rattle on the left side,panel,door? 3 months 800miles.Ordering a new set of wheels and tires from sears.From what I am reading thank goodness for my backup 92 Nissian pu thats never missed a beat and will save money on rentals.
  • jmarfizjmarfiz Member Posts: 1
    hi
    i bought a 2005 colorado new it now has less then 8000 miles on it has been in shop 16 times i cant seem to hold a brake light fuse in it gm says everything checks out good i have no fog lights and the cruise control never works i have been to the dealer so much last time they told me dont come back we cant fix it
    i got a lawyer and am suing gm for money back under the lemon law and if you still got yours i suggest you do the same
    jere
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Oh wow, guys and gals. I just saw pictures of the new Isuzu pick-up. (Re-badged Chevy Colorado) and that chromed front grille looks great. I wanted a Colorado but now after seeing the Isuzu.............Decisions,decisions.........
  • tdt3tdt3 Member Posts: 9
    Hope you have better luck them me.
    "Check engine light" on at 2732 miles - Reprogramed PCM module
    Back on at 2784 miles - replaced O2 sensor
    Back on at 2911 miles - replaced a different O2 sensor
    Back on at 3273 miles - replaced fuel regulator
    Back on at 3565 miles - replaced air flow sensor, air filter
    Back on at 3805 miles - who knows what they will blame it on this time.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    I'd take it to Autozone and have them pull the code if its a common one, and they can tell you what the code means I think too. I'd guess from your description they are "resetting" the computer but not reading the code and solving your problem.

Seems like the tech at the dealer is very lazy old-schooler who doesn't use computers to check things or do complete analysis of the situation, they just swaps out parts. Good for generating revenue for the dealer, bad for customer service and GM. Let us know what the result is.

Bad dealers are going to drag down the domestics if they don't watch it.

DD
  • jawahijawahi Member Posts: 6
    Is this the new Isuzu?image
    or just a concept.
    I think I like my Colorado.
    That is not the 2005 Isuzu. The new one has a great chrome grille which I prefer over the Colorado's.
  • crunch78crunch78 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to hear about your issues, I bought my crew cab colorado in june 04 had it a week when someone rearended me while I was at a stop doing over 60 mph. A pretty good thump, but the only thing it really did was trash the bed and bumper. No frame damage whatsoever. The jeep that hit me was totalled and same with the car in front of me. I still have the truck, and it runs like new... the only gripes I have about it are the cruise control and wimpy looking tires (z85) which I remedied though with some 20" panther wheels which really set the truck apart... You wouldn't imagine how many people ask me about my truck, I am constantly being stopped and asked all kinds of questions about it. It really turns heads if you put some different wheels on it. I kinda wish gm would get with the program and put some decent looking wheels on these vehicles. I've heard all the horrible reviews about it, but I love it, it's a great looking truck and as far as I'm concerned with the interior it's a truck... It's not supposed to look like a mercedes inside...
  • madridjoemadridjoe Member Posts: 28
    Sorry for the delay in answering.

We have had many of these tires with vibration and/or thumping. GM says we have to wait for the customer to put on 500 miles to see if they sort themselves out from sitting on the lot. After that, we have replaced quite a few, if we are unable to balance the problem out. I imagine some service managers are more responsive to this problem than others.
    Information please,Can six lug 16in wheel [chevy or others] from 1/2 ton PU fit a 05,Z/71 Colorado?.There is 1/2in between stock 15in wheel and upper balljoint.Was wanting to go with 255/70/16 thats about the overall size as my 265/75/15 [shimmys] by General.And to go 8in wide rim would I have to go 17in rim? They sell a 8in wide 16in wheel thats 1in deeper,what about the balljoint? Confused and need help,Thanks.">
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    The Colorado uses a new bolt pattern that is different than any other vehicle. When I bought my after market wheels last fall it was near impossible to find chrome mag style wheels that would fit. Even the regular 6 lug wheels used for years on GM trucks don't fit. So you need to be very careful in picking the proper wheel for your truck. I was just lucky in finding someone who owned one at the tire dealer and was in the know. :shades:
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    I don't have the dimensions but the wheels I had on my 1999 Sierra w/ 6 bolt pattern (New gen Sierra) fit my Canyon (Colorado) with the exception I had to buy a different set of lug nuts. They are 16 In verses 15 in - Changed to lower aspect ratio tire nd they work just great. I've had no problems running them 17k miles.
    my understanding if I remember right was the offset was different too.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    Don't know the offset - but the 16" Niche's fit easily on either my Sierra or the Canyon with no slop/problems. New lug nuts I believe were because of the length of the lug bolt. I'm betting finding 15" with 6 holes pattern is more difficult than 16" wheels. I'm running 265/70R16 verses the 245/75R15 General tires that came on the Canyon.
  • rgrossmanrgrossman Member Posts: 37
    Leased a 2005 z71 loaded crew cab in November and have around 8500 miles on it so far. The truck has run great and handled well during a snowy winter here in the Boston area. I decided to forgo another $40k SUV with lousy gas mileage and have not regretted the decision. Cost of the truck was under $30K and I am getting almost 20 mpg using regular unleaded. More room than most SUV's for both my family and all our vacation stuff. Ride is not quite a good and interior not quite as luxurious as an expensive SUV but still pretty good overall. I've actually had more compliments on the looks of this truck from total strangers than on any other car I've owned.

My only complaint so far is a squeeky vent fan when on the lowest setting which I've not had time to get fixed yet. I certainly understand the frustrations of folks that get a lemon but overall I can't complain.
  • fontzfontz Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same vibration at 2000 RPM for the last 10,000 miles. It's the only thing that's been wrong with the truck, it's been a gem in the snow and rain. :)

When I went to see the dealer last fall about the noise GM said to bring it back after 10K, so I'm soon to bring it back and will let everyone know what they said.
    Hi guys and gals. Could someone confirm this as true. The Colorado comes with a 3 yr / 36,000 mi warranty. The Isuzu pick-up ( a re-badged Colorado-same truck) comes with a 5 yr / 75,000 mi powertrain warranty!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Yes, it appears the Isuzu truck will have a 7year/75k powertrain warranty as well as 3yr/50k bumper-to-bumper. But I have to ask, what good is the longer warranty if the company won't be around to cover it? Isuzu is on its last leg and not worth the risk. Plus, the option configurations will be restricted. They already aren't offering the regular cab.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is interested in pickup buyers’ views on the Japanese offerings – both people who would definitely consider a vehicle like a Toyota Tundra, Nissan Titan or Honda Ridgeline as well as people who wouldn’t – and why or why not?

Please respond to jfallonedmunds.com with your daytime contact information and a few words summarizing your opinion no later than Wednesday, June 8, 2005.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
  • greencoloradogreencolorado Member Posts: 1
    Did you get it bought back under the BBB Auto Line or your states lemon law. I have an arbitration hearing on 6/8 for my 04 Colorado. Power locks, brakes, shakes and loses power, did you have any of these problems?
  • bombardjbombardj Member Posts: 1
    I have owned 3 S10 trucks. Each one was progressively better, all were junk. The new Colorado Is a fresh breath of air. The 2800 cc 4 cylinder is as smooth as my Honda CRV, the power is as good as my Ford Ranger 3.0 V6 and the ride is smooth for a truck. I Purchased the base 2005 Colorado Extended Cab and to my surprise GM did not put a key entry lock on the passenger door so all entry must be from the street side, not a very safe side to load from. They moved the lock to the tailgate, great if you have a cap.Leave it to GM management to give me something to complain about. I hope they choke on the 50 cents they saved !
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I had an earlier post for the same thing. I have the base GMC Canyon. Can GM get any cheaper than not putting a lock on the passenger door? Who cares about one on the gate? I agree with you 100%.
    GM is not alone in the trend of not having a key entry lock on the passenger door. This trend is spreading throughout the industry. I saw a brand new Nissan Frontier recently and it too had no key lock on the passenger door.
  • tommctommc Member Posts: 66
    About the same deal with the big trucks I'd guess. Notice they are putting side moldings on the doors only. Really looks dumb on a long bed truck to have this big, wide side molding on the door and the rest of the side is plain. Is anybody paying and attention at GM these days?
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    I have a 2005 GMC Canyon SLE 4wd, which is essentially the same as the Colorado. The bolt pattern is 6x5.5", the same as some of the other GM trucks. The major difference, wheel wise, is the diameter of the center hub.

The Colorado/Canyon has a 100mm diameter hub. This is approximately 3.9 inches, whereas most of the GM trucks are 88-89mm, that's why older wheels won't work.

There are a couple of things you can do. What I did was to purchase a set of 16"x8" MB Motoring "Rocker" wheels. They have a +25mm offset, which gives them 5.5" of backspacing, so there's still about .250" of clearance at the upper ball joint. I'm running 245/75/16 tires, which are the same diameter as the OE tires. The only downside to these wheels is that they aren't "hubcentric", so the centerbore of these wheels is a "universal fit" 4.25".

The second choice is to use American Racing wheels. They have 2 wheels for the Colorado/Canyon. One is the 15"x8" "Baja", the other is the 16"x8" "Chamber". The plus side of these wheels is that they're "Hubcentric". The minus side is that they're only +20mm offset, so the tires will stick out at least 1" more than OE, depending on the tires used.
     They have more than that as I bought a set of 17" Chrome Mag style wheels from them last fall
    ==========
    The second choice is to use American Racing wheels. They have 2 wheels for the Colorado/Canyon. One is the 15"x8" "Baja", the other is the 16"x8" "Chamber". The plus side of these wheels is that they're "Hubcentric". The minus side is that they're only +20mm offset, so the tires will stick out at least 1" more than OE, depending on the tires used.
    :) Thanks for all the information,decided for now at 1600 mi on my 05-Z/71 Colorado to go only with new tires.Bought 265/70/15 Yokohama H/TS G051.What a diffirence a good tire makes,its a diffirent truck and dont understand how in this competive market General is still in business .The rattle in my left door was my coin box[sorry GM] , with the 3.5L,auto,3.42 rearend , most around town mix has been 19 to 21mpg.Wish I would have found this fourm before I put new mitchlems on the wifes car,could have done better thanks to you folks.
    I agree with you on all counts. The 2.8 liter 4 banger is a darn good engine. I can't believe its really a GM 4 banger with how smooth and quiet it runs and how good the power is. I honestly think its a much better engine then the 5-banger based on the problems some owners have had with it. I also can't stand the lack of the passenger door lock. Many times I've walked up to it trying to unlock it with the key only to find no keyhole. Quite irritating when I only want to grab something from that side of the truck. It's even more annoying to see that useless lock on the tailgate sneering at me, LOL. That being said, it's really only a problem for the few old schoolers and cheapies like us who didn't get the power door locks with remote keyless. If they wanted to save money, they should have only deleted the passenger door lock on trucks equipped with keyless entry. That way just about everyone would be happy.

By the way, I own the exact same truck as you. Did you get a 5 speed or auto? What color is yours? Mine is black and 5-speed. Very sporty looking truck. I get compliments on it all the time. Love it and plan on keeping it a long time.
    I haven't missed the lock on the passenger side, really never noticed it missing until this thread as I have the remote but would like to bring to the attention of those out there who are complaining about the tailgate lock and wish they had the passenger side lock instead. I have had one neighbor and 2 people I have worked with through the years have their tailgate stolen right off their trucks at night. Without the key lock anyone can own your tailgate. So keep it locked and wish for GM to add the door lock back, not take away the tailgate lock. My guess would be lots of people who lost their gate have complained to auto makers through the years and they have been heard. :shades:
    This must be a big city thing. I've never heard of people getting their tailgate stolen. Seems odd to say the least.
    Apparently, you have the 3.42 rearend. I have the 4 cylinder five speed with the 3.73 rearend and it has absolutely no power.
    You are correct about the tailgate lock. It is to secure the tailgate from theft and not placed there to secure the contents of the box. Every time I took my old pick-up to the train station to catch a train, I would remove my tailgate and leave it at home. An unlockable tailgate on a vehicle left at a train station (or airport) is not a good idea.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    FYI

A higher numerical ratio rear-end gear will typically provide faster acceleration and more pulling power than a lower numerical gear. Drag cars and larger HD trucks use higher numerical gears for example. The trade off is fuel milage. When people say high gear and low gear its actually the inverese to the numerical gear number being relatively high or low.

Your driving experience could be where you live, your average payload and what you are used to driving.
  • gman4dx266gman4dx266 Member Posts: 2
    Contrary to what most have said on here, the 4 cyl, w/ auto is NOT a bad setup. I have come up a ramp at 35 and let the beast loose (hammer down) and got up to 85 in 4 1/2 seconds....needless to say....i was impressed....and yes i do have the 3.73 rear gear. So, these fools that say it has no go power with that rear gear, either need to learn how to shift smoother/faster, or need figure out that they should use the skinny one on the right... :shades:
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    What kind of gas mileage are y'all getting with the 2.8l automatic?
    Nope, I have the same setup as you. It is pretty slow in 1st gear (1st is geared too low to gain much speed), but after that, the truck picks up speed a lot faster then it feels like. It gives off the sensation that you are accelerating slowly, but in reality, I leave people behind at stoplights even when I short shift at 2200 rpms. It's amazing how easily it accelerates and cruises at rpms below 2k, where most cars would be bucking and choking. It's a very torquey engine down low but this usually comes at the expense of horsepower higher up and this engine is no different. It's mostly pointless to rev beyond 4000 rpms.

If you want max performance from your truck, the 4.10 gear ratio is the one to get. The 3.42 would make the truck even slower. The 3.73 is the best compromise between power and fuel economy.
    Thanks for the information. I thought it was just the opposite. I had looked at one with the 3.42 gear and I had wondered if I made a mistake in getting this one. I drive the truck unloaded. I have two other four cylinder vehicles which have smaller engines and they will run off and leave this one. I am not sorry, however, that I bought a four cylinder. It is exactly what i wanted. I am not disappointed at all.
    You are an idiot. I know how to drive the truck and shift it.
    Also, thank you for the enlightenment. It is true when you go from first to second that there is too much gap there. As I told the other respondent, I thought it was just the opposite with the gearing. The truck has 300 miles on it and it may get better in time. I had two S10's and I don't remember them as sluggish like this one.
    You also have to remember if you're compairing the truck to a little car than that truck is a whole lot heavier than the cars which don't have a heavy frame for the towing and hauling abilities. 6 or 8 hundred pounds different can make a world of difference.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Relax... he included a smile after his line.

kcram - Pickups Host
    I have the 05 gmc canyon which of course is the same truck as the colorado. I have the base model with a base radio. There is no CD with the radio. Can someone tell me how to program the clock? The manual says that there is a hour and minute button, but there is not. I can't figure out how to do it.
    I ran into the same problem!! I thought I was going blind because I couldn't find the HR and MIN buttons like the manual said. It turns out they are there, but they aren't colored in white like the rest of the numerals. Look for the up and down arrow button next to the audio button at the lower right of the radio. Right above the up and down button are the HR and MIN letters colored in the same color as the rest of the faceplate so they blend in and become invisible. Absolutely stupid design decision. A clock shouldn't be this difficult to figure out how to program.
    Thank you so much. As I was driving today, I looked at the up and down arrow and thought maybe I need to look at them up close. I never did do it. Thanks again. It is a stupid design decision. General Motors loves to save money. That radio is definitely basic. Also, I can't believe that they did not put two speakers behind the seats on either side. My 98 S10 had those and it was a base model.
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    I saw a test on TV about the mid-size trucks. The Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Dodge and the Colorado. The Colorado came in last in just about all of the test but the two that were important to me when I bought my 2004 Extended cab 4 wheel drive with auto and 3.5 engine were not included. I needed a 4 wheel drive that I could drive to work and could afford. They didn`t tell the gas mileage on any of these trucks or the cost. My truck has 14000k and without any problems, also it gets 21 mpg. The MSRP was $25500.00 and I bought it for 23300.00 with all of the rebates it came to $18300.00. I bet you can`t get the Honda or any others for that price. It would be nice to know what the final price and gas milage on these other trucks would be.
    I guess your base model is the regular cab? The base extended cab does come with 4 speakers, but the regular cab only has 2.
    Thanks. It is the regular cab. If I am not mistaken, the 98 S10 regular cab that I had had four speakers. Thanks though for telling me the difference now.
    Consumer Reports, in their recent issue, listed the Colorado last. They are never pro Chevrolet. Here is the thing. If I buy a truck and I like it and I am not constantly carrying it to the shop, I am happy. I have owned three S10's and two Ford F150's. I like my Colorado because it is a four cylinder; rides good. If I have good service, I will be happy. You are right in the price paid. You can pay for a lot of repairs for the difference between what you pay for a Colorado and the other trucks listed. However, General Motors is in a lot of trouble financially. The Colorado is selling well but they have not stayed updated with their other vehicles. I am watching an important corporation go down the drain. It is ridiculous that they have not had the vehicles that would keep their market share. On my truck, they cut costs by being tight on the speakers; General tires; no lock on the passenger door. That amounts to little money, but when something appears cheap people moves on. In my case, I am happy with my purchase but the cheap things they did irritate me. They sold me on price.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    My 99 std cab Sonoma has 4 speakers. :)
  • jawahijawahi Member Posts: 6
    For a non-CD or cassette radio, turn the truck on, and the radio off, hold down the audio
    button for several seconds and it will program the clock.
This discussion has been closed.