Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Colorado

Comments

• jawahijawahi Member Posts: 6
    I got 22.3 out of my last tank.
    That is commuting half highway/ half city.
    I haven't really had the truck out on a long trip, so I don't know about real highway mileage.
    The highways I drive my commute on are all posted at 65, where it lugs a little in 5th gear.
    The truck runs much better at 70 as it gets much better torque with a little higher RPM.
  • drivearigdrivearig Member Posts: 1
    This is the second time back to the dealer same problem. this time they will have to tow her in.turn the key all i get is a click. passenger seat is broken stuck in forward position :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :lemon:
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Sounds like a bad ground to the engine or body.
  • mibgronmibgron Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyone who knows if there is something news at 2006 modells? I´m intrested to import a colorado to sweden (europe) but i dont now so much about this car, only the webinformation
  • thoroughbredthoroughbred Member Posts: 1
    I went to get into my 2005 Colorado and when I pressed the keyless remote, it didn't unlock the door. I used the key to unlock the door (no alarm sounded). When I went to start the truck, I turned the key in the ignition and there was nothing (no click, no turning over, nothing). I wonder if the security system has a built-in safety feature that won't allow the ignition to turn over, if the vehicle is unlocked with a key when it was originally locked with the remote. The vehicle is brand new (I've only had it 1 month and it has less than 1,000 miles on it). Does anyone have any suggestions??
  • mace1mace1 Member Posts: 2
    My wife is a rural mail carrier and drives 160miles a day she has had other chevy's before like the s-10 Blazer and the s-10 pickups but this Colorado is realy giving us trouble. She got it in March of 04 so we have had it for 17 mounth and as of today it has been in the shop for 33 days at different times for different things, the worst part is it takes so long to get parts in , when ever her truck is down she has to use my 95 chevy 1500. the first thing to go wrong was the muffler which took 16 days to get a new one but at least she could still drive he r truck that time. next the front brake pads went out so she drove my truck for 4 days while waiting on parts , then the rear brakes went out , this time it took 3 days to get parts,then the front transfer shaft seal went out , it took 12 days to get the parts in that time, then the windows and power locks went out another 6 days out for parts and now the fuel pump is out and so far they can't find a new one to put in so its is going on 10 days with out parts GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! She is about to give up on chevy al together She has 63000 miles on it and the extended warrenty goes out at 75000 miles. OH and the dealer now tells her that the extended warrenty won't cover the fuel pump because there is forien mater in the fuel filter GREAT! Are the 05 or 06 Colorado's any better ? Help please. mace1
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    If there is foregn matter in the fuel pump than that isn't Chevys fault. As far as waiting for parts that is a problem with new vehicles during their first year. There should be by now plenty of parts in the pipeline. Me I haven't had a problem with my 04 that I drive everyday and tow behind my MH. :shades:
  • mace1mace1 Member Posts: 2
    One would think that there would be plenty of parts in the pipeline but nooo, we have been told that on the 29th they are making new fuel pumps and it could take as long as 2 weeks before we get one of them and we have already been down since the 18th . I am glad to hear that you arn't having any problems with your Colorado. It's just mading to think a new truck would give us this much trouble and then to have it take so long to get parts. Don't get me wrong i like Chevy trucks, and hope to talk my wife into getting another one , i just hope the 05 or 06 Colorado 's have some of the problems worked out and a better suppply of parts in stock. thanks . mace1
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I have an 05 with 2,000 miles on it. It is too early to tell about the service. If I have the problems that you have, I will definitely be buying another brand. If I were you, I would move on with something else. When I have that much trouble with a vehicle, that is it for me.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    I am either lucky or ? My 2004 Canyon Crew Cab 4WD Z71 has been good in almost 20k miles. I finally had a problem - climate control fan switch blew a resistor and I was with Off & Full (4) for a couple of weeks until they got the part. Other than that, not other issues. I got rid of the yuck wheels & cheap tires after a few hundred miles, but i never noticed any problems.
  • schan7schan7 Member Posts: 1
    Have you report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration yeat concerning the brake light switch failure? The website is www.nhtsa.dot.gov.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    There are custom Colorado's and Canyon's with V8's under the hood so I don't think space is a problem. I read a brief article a couple months ago, I don't recall if it was at the GM power train site or where, but there is rumor that the next generation model will have a larger engine available. GM has fitted it with a V8 for testing in a SS model, but will it make it to the public?
    the length is what is the problem and the person asked about the TB which comes standard with the straight 6. The V8 though wider is NOT as long and should fit with out to much trouble.
  • becks19becks19 Member Posts: 3
    :lemon: i have had my truck for a little over a year 19,000 miles. At 1,000 mile i started to hear this bell gear noise, i can feel it in the gas pedle, and happens around 3,500 4,500 rpm :sick: . I told the dear it's in the rear or trans, and so far the have re placed the spare tire holder, heat sheilds, exhaust, gas tank straps, drive shaft, rear, clutch, the clutch stopped the noise :surprise: . 1,000 miles after the clutch the noise came back twice as loud :mad: . The dealer got the truck back and had 2 gm techs come out to take a look. They put a trans and new clutch(#2). Good for 1,500 to 2,000 miles the noise was back. :confuse: Back to dealer, wait mounth for gm techs to come out for the second time. The techs put new clutch(#3) in and told me it's a faulty designe, they are designing a new clutch. And now 4 gear is hard to pull. :lemon:
  • desertdwellrdesertdwellr Member Posts: 1
    just bought the truck about 2 weeks ago. it had 16k miles on it but it runs great. im getting great gas mileage, the power is there if/when i need it. theres only one thing that been bothering me. the truck is smooth when im moving, but sitting in traffic at a light or whatever, it just seems to run rough. i thought about going through and changing plugs, but before i do, has anyone had this same problem? thanks
    If it's the 5 cyl. one than it will shake a little as that is what they do.
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    I`m not trying to bragg about my truck but I have nearly 20k on it with no real problems. It does everything I ask it to and I`m getting alittle over 22mpg with a extended cab 4 wheel drive 3.5 engine. I hope you guys that are having trouble will just give the little truck a chance. Thanks
    hay i love the looks of the tuck and am willing to keep the tuck thanks 1 800 lemon law $$$ :) :lemon: :shades:
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    Frank

GM automatics REALLY want you to stop when shifting to R or D. If you are in the habit of rolling when shifting into gear, you had better stop this or it could get expensive. This is not a truck problem but a driver habit that needs to be changed! Grin.

Dirk
  • colorado04colorado04 Member Posts: 1
    I've taken my '04 colorado back to the dealer 5 times now for the same problem. Also having a problem with the aftermarket security system installed by the dealership. It puts codes in the system every time someone cranks it before deactivating the system. Also don't like the turning radius. I went from an extended cab dually to this and the dually was much more manuveurable!
  • clozerclozer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 colorado 4 x 4 with only 2771 miles on it, after 30 days the battery was dead when I went to start it, it started promptly with a jump. I had the battery changed at the dealership, and it started fine again but after 28-30 days the truck would only clik when you tried to start it. The truck gets driven about 300 miles a week and that should be enough to keep the battery charged. Im sure there is something draining the battery, but it has the mechanics stumped. Has anyone else had this problem, or can someone point me in the right direction to find help. Other than that problem I love the truck, it gets between 22 and 23 miles per gallon with the I-5 and has plenty of power to get in and out of traffic with no problems. In case someone wants to know the equipment that is electrical, it has a sunroof and 6 disc cd and xmradio and onstar. In case that helps with the electrical diagnosis. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • rgrossmanrgrossman Member Posts: 37
    Sounds very similar to a problem we had with our BMW 528i. They called it a parasitic power drain. The symptoms were almost exactly the same as yours. It took a long time to track down but came down to a faulty blower motor relay. Not sure if the GM mechanics have the same level of diagnostic tools as the Bimmer guys but it involved hooking the car up to the computer overnight and letting the computer track what was turning on and draining the battery. The problem was that it was an intermittent problem so it was very difficult to pin down. Perhaps your dealer can do something similar or recommend someone who can. Intermittant electrical problems are the worst! Hopefully you can get it sorted quickly. The Colorado is a great little truck. Good luck.
  • tdt3tdt3 Member Posts: 9
    After having my 2005 in 8 time within 3000 miles for the same problem I finally got tired of GM telling me that it was fixed. I contacted the BBB and started action. GM still did not seem to concerned until I got an arbitration hearing scheduled. Tomorrow I pick up my new 2006 as a replacement for my :lemon:
  • evile1evile1 Member Posts: 10
    No, but I will!! I had the brake light switch go out AGAIN last week!!! They had to keep it overnight, and replace the switch again!!! It's great when I drive in rush hour traffic every day, and have the brake lights go out!!! I was driving after work to pick my wife up, and some lady stopped me to tell me that NONE of my brake lights are working. I have taken my Colorado in about 15 times in a year and a half for numerous different reasons--what a hunk of junk. All the service guys know me by name, I am there so much. Never again--next time I'm buying a Toyota. Chevy has lost a once loyal customer. I am stuck with this piece of garbage for years now also, since I own so much on it.
  • evile1evile1 Member Posts: 10
    Anyone else having the brake light switch go out? I have had it go out twice now--dangerous and frustrating!!
  • ronhextallronhextall Member Posts: 37
    Can you still get the I5 Crew Cab 4x4 with a manual transmission? I have tried the 'build your own' thing on the Chevy website and it doesn't seem like you can.
  • ronhextallronhextall Member Posts: 37
    The answer to my question is 'no' according to an Email I got from Chevy. Can't get a manual in Crew Crab with the I5. Another reason to get a Nissan or Toyota.
  • hulgashulgas Member Posts: 1
    What was your problem? I have A 05 that I have had in the dealer 5 times for alimenent problems. They have replaced the front tires 2 times and they are still wearing on the inside. Now the clutch is hanging at the top. I really like the truck but this crap is driving me up the wall. Your help would be appricated.
  • ndfarndfar Member Posts: 19
    How does your Colorado do pulling a trailer? Do you shift to 3rd or do you use it in Drive? I find I have to use 3rd or the tranny will shift in and out of overdrive. Also in 3rd makes you drive slower on the highway due to high RPMs. I am just pulling a 5X8 trailer with a ATV on it.
    Well its back in the shop but not for the trany. That noice is still their ans gm is designing a new cluthc. but any way its in for the blower moter for the a/c heat. Its the truck that keep giving... me a head ake :sick: :lemon:
    my headaches too, but from trying to figure out what is wrong with your truck as I can't understand what you are trying to say. :confuse:
  • santapuercosantapuerco Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am new to this forum, and I have a question: I have an 04 Colorado LS with almost 28K miles on it, and I am having a problem with the rotors. I went to change the pads, but they weren't bad. The rotors were kinda scored, though. :( I was told that this is because of the pads that are on the truck - they're crappy - and that this is becoming common, but I haven't heard anything about that. Has anyone else had this problem?
    My problem was that the CHECK ENGINE light was coming on - 8 times. Same error code. After the eight time I think they might have fixed it. The engineer that came in from Detroit found a piece of punch-out metal in one of the fuel rails. It definetely should not have been there. But by this time I was fed up and had already started the process with the BBB.
  • kjeterkjeter Member Posts: 1
    I have had an issue with speakers my self. I am now on my 4th front passenger door speaker. The dealership told me that I was turning my tunes up too loud. I don't listen to music that loud so I passed it off. This 4th speaker has worked for about 4 months now. Of all the paperwork from the dealership this last time was the only time that it had "replaced with genuine GM part". I feel that the 2nd and 3rd were of lesser quality and the first I just don't know. I have not had the issue of the bass setting "defaulting".
    I have also read on this site, which is great I just found it today, that others are having trouble with tires and alignment. I got 35000 miles out of my Generals, probably would have got more, but the front tires started wearing on the inside and I didn't rotate them quick enough. I replaced my 225/75r15 Generals with 235/75r15 Bridgestone AT Duellers. These tires ride maybe a little better than the generals but they also have a more aggressive tread.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    Ans:

New brake pads are so tough they wear slowly but preform better. You also end up replacing a LOT more rotors than you ever did years ago as a result. I have a minivan that goes through brakes about every 16 months it seems, but I commute in it.

Dirk
    Have a 06 Crew and want to get a set of wind deflectors for the windows. GM has two different part numbers listed for the deflectors that fit the crew cab; 17802323 and 12498967. Anyone know the difference beside the price?
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Front and rear?
    Yes. Both are listed as a set of 4.
    The first time I closed the rear door on my 2006 Crew cab I heard a funny sound. Upon opening and closing the rear doors numerous times I noticed what looks like a set of louvers located on the rear of the cab, one on the drivers side and one on the passengers side. I guess it is some type of vent. Every time the rear doors are closed the louvers pop open and then pop shut. Can someone tell me the purpose of these vents? Also a noise can be heard inside the rear passenger's door when it is closed. Sounds like something is being reset. Has anyone else had this noise?
    Those are part of the flow through ventilation system. You will notice that when you have air blowing out the vents the air needs a place to go. Also even without the air/heat going there is air circulating through out the cab. These have been in cars for at least 20 years. Some are hid better then others but all vehicles need a place for the air to exhale. :shades:
  • remoteraycerremoteraycer Member Posts: 17
    Makes the doors shut easier too
    I installed an K&N filter on my 2004 four wheel drive auto trans. I5 engine. So far I am getting about 1 more mile to the gal.
  • pjjbmpjjbm Member Posts: 12
    Don't expect to get much better mileage on highway driving. I have an 05 Colorado, 4cyl, 5 speed manual, Z71 and I only get 22 to 23 on open highway.
  • pjjbmpjjbm Member Posts: 12
    I finally got Chevy to apply Bulletin 04-06-04-081A (Replace Exhaust Valve Springs) on my 2005 Colorado 2.8 4 cyl. I know the bulletin only lists five cyl engines, but Chevy had an issue where they were building both the four and five cyl engines used in the Colorados and Canyons with weak exhaust valve springs. Guess what, it was forcing hot gases through the valve seats. I wonder how long until I would have had burnt valve seats! Maybe the valve seats are already burnt. It cleared up the intermittent engine RPMs drop off to 500 RPMs while shifting gears. Also, it increased by gas mileage 5 to 10 percent and cleared up the smell of gasoline in the oil.

I still have the intermittent engine bucking when accelerating in the lower gears. I have been told by multiple service managers that the engine bucking is a feature of these "lean burn" engines. I guess I am stuck with the "bucking feature". I can't afford to trade out this vehicle at this time.

Chevy only authorized the bulletin replacement after I was back five times to the dealer complaining about the defects and dropping hints of a replacement vehicle. As I stated in an earlier posting, I regret that I ever bought this vehicle. The shame is the GM does not appear to care. I have called the customer assistance line multiple times to complain about multiple issues. This is my 14th GM vehicle and likely my last! :lemon:
  • jaxxljaxxl Member Posts: 1
    I have no drain holes in bed anybody with the same situation..?
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I test drove a new left over '05 Colorado 4X4 crew cab today. It was a LS model, it had a 3.5 liter 5 cyl engine, a 4 speed auto, auto locking rear differential, tow package and few other options. The sticker price was over $ 27K. Here are my impressions:

The truck had a quiet, refined ride, much like a car. It handled well, but I found that the turning radius was quite large for a small truck. The 5 cylinder engine puts out adequate power for small engine to handle an empty truck. The available torque is not that great and I do not know how well would this truck handle a medium size trailer or a boat. There was minimal wind noise, which was a pleasant surprise. The transmission shifted very smoothly and downshifted without any hesitation. The steering wheel was straight and the truck did not pull to either side.

The interior of this truck looks awfully cheap. Large expanses of cheap plastic and cheap cloth seats do little to convince me that this is a quality product. GM was too cheap to install a rear window defroster as standard equipment on this truck, which did not have a sliding rear window. I noticed that the truck had a compact spare tire, which is ridiculous for any pickup nowadays, especially a 4X4 version. There were no body side mouldings and no splash guards either (although GM did install a set of cheap looking unpainted plastic fender flares). The maximum towing capacity of only 4000 lbs is disappointing. I would have expected at least 5000 lbs out of this truck. (The old S-10 crew cab could tow about 6,500 lbs with 4.3 liter V6 and proper rear end gear ratio).

With all current red tag sale discounts and the $3K GM rebate, this truck can be bought for $ 22,100 plus taxes and other fees. My GM card rebate would lower this price further.

I think that GM is out of touch with reality. Given the cheap interior and cheap features, such as a compact spare tire, the sticker price on this truck should be around $ 20K. This is not a $27K vehicle.
    GM should finally realize that this is 2005, not 1985. Twenty years ago, the competition was very weak, so they could get away with cheap looking trucks. Not any more.

Reading the post above about weak valve springs used on these engines, is this a current issue? It looks like a pretty serious issue. Just how durable is this 3.5 liter engine? How good is the fuel economy? And can somebody tell me if this truck has a remote for locking/unlocking the doors? The salesman could not answer this question. The truck has the power package (power windows, locks, cruise, tilt).

With my GM card rebate I could buy this truck at a good price, but I am hesitant at this point. Do '05 models have any well known problems that GM corrected for the '06 model year (such as this valve spring issue for example)? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Note: I miss the old venerable 4.3 V6 in the S-10 crew cab 4X4 pickup. It definitely had more torque than this 5 cylinder in Colorado. I wonder what genius
    at GM decided that it was a good idea to use a 5 cylinder engine in a pickup truck?
    I bought a left over 2004 4 wheel drive ext. cab 5 cylinder auto trans. last year with all discounts for $18300.00 and comming from a full size chevy truck the first thing I noticed was how cheep the interior looked. I guess I have gotten use to it and I have to say that so far it has been trouble free with 22k on it. Maybe chevrolet will listen to people and try to make to truck look like it`s worth the sticker price.
  • rgrossmanrgrossman Member Posts: 37
    Yeh..interior definately inferior to most of the competitors although I've found it to be quite functional and gotten used to it. The other side of the coin is that this truck can now be bought much cheaper than a Tacoma and gets much better gas mileage than a Dakota. You are correct that it has a nice quiet, smooth ride that is comparable to the Tacoma. You can also upgrade to leather heats which is something that not all the competitors offer in this class. It does lag in towing capacity although for me that was not important as I don't tow anything. I am getting around 19 mpg combined (around 22 on the hwy) in my 5 cyl crew cab. Have about 18k miles on it with no problems in the first year of driving. Handled quite well on a snowy Thanksgiving day in Vermont when other cars were spining off the road right and left. :)
  • mschram2895mschram2895 Member Posts: 1
    having problems with the cable shifting system on my 05 colorado 4 cyl 2wd. moisture in the cable and freezing up the shift lever (automatic). any one else?
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    How are you getting water into the cable? Have you been doing any creek crossings? :~)

Sounds pretty odd. I had to put a shift cable on another GM product, but the cable is probably similar, and you might check that it isn't the transmission, as the cable is probably not the problem.

On a weekend that its "frozen" crawl underneath and disconnect it, then see if the lever moves freely.

D
This discussion has been closed.