Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Colorado

Comments

• chevylover1965chevylover1965 Member Posts: 2
    This topic is common on most Canyon forums. My 2005 GMC Canyon Crew Cab's a/c does the exact same thing as jbmayes. The temperature surges between cold and warm and a whistling sound comes from under the dash. It sucks. I have had it in 5 times over the past year. The dealer finally told me they cannot fix the problem. GM will NOT admit to even the dealers that they have a problem with the a/c. I have had the expansion valve and the temperature switch replaced and nothing seems to help. I have filed for arbitration. GM has offered an extended warranty to make me go away. When I declined, their fall back position is that the a/c is working "as designed." I have also driven another '05, and it does the same thing. My next move is to become more aggressive and look at lemon lawing the truck. If anyone else is having problems, we need to make a full court press on this issue. :lemon:
  • ergoergo Member Posts: 56
    I've been reading online forums on all the midsize trucks. They ALL have their problems. Many of the issues are similar on the trucks. They are mechanical!

A Honda Ridgeline owner suddenly couldn't shift...calling the tow truck. The driver looked under it in order to tow it and...the cable was hanging loose. Hooked it back up and he could shift! :blush: I won't mention the water leaks, suspension problems, crazy price, $850 tow package!tranverse engine, minivan Stow-n-Go storage, or the fact it's really front wheel drive. Not for me.

I keep coming back to the GM Canyon/Colorado twins because they seem more like what a smaller truck should be. Smaller! Better fuel economy ratings, reasonable OTD pricing, and feature up to date safety features. Plus you have your choice of many packages, engines and tranny's. The longer wheelbase (compared to say a Ridgeline) gives it a decent ride too.

The Tacoma is freakin' huge! Overstyled too. It's also plagued with plenty of 1st year gremlins. At least you can get a 4 cylinder Crew like the Colorado! Then there is the price. At 30k I'll just buy a full sizer Thank You!

The Nissan is a solid effort w/ a small bed. Great looks, loads of optional features and a pesky low Cargo Capacity. Unfortunately I've had a Nissan pickup before and lets just say it wasn't a positive corporate experience. They just don't stand behind their vehicles. GM has never charged me for a Warranty claim, unlike Nissan.

Maybe I should drive the Dodge Dakota just to be sure!? ;)
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    "Their fall back position is that the A/C is working as designed."

To which I would have replied: Yes, and it was designed wrong! This reminds of the 1991 Titan solid rocket motor booster accident at Edwards Air Force Base in 1991. The giant solid rocket test motor, weighing about 400 tons, exploded less than two seconds after ignition. The accident investigation revealed that the motor propellant grain was poorly designed and this made the motor explode. One of the investigation team members made the following public statement: "The motor performed as designed". Meaning: it was designed so poorly that it had to explode almost immediately! Same goes for your Colorado A/C system. It truly performs as designed.
  • I had a 2002 Envoy with the 4.0 6 cylinder and overall I thought it was a pretty good vehicle... plenty of power and I got between 22 and 28 MPG on the highway with it. When I saw that GM was lopping off a cylinder for these trucks I was absolutely peed off. Everyone knows u get better mileage if the power to weight ratio is correct. Well, reviewing these posts confirmed my suspicions. They should have put the 6 cylinder in these trucks.

Oh, and I sold the Envoy about the time the warranty was gonna expire. Between the HVAC system that couldn't figure out what to do and the horrible resale value caused by TOO MANY REBATES, I was done! Too bad GM doesn't understand the Kia/Hyundai secret. Might even keep people driving their vehicles, which would contribute to resale value. Bought a new Accord. Doesn't even need a warranty... LOL
  • sprtpltsprtplt Member Posts: 1
    Just finished looking at Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi. Dodge, Ford, Chevrolet... Bought the Colorado, 2006 crew cab, 3.5 auto with locking diff., 2LT, sun and sound pkg, etc. I have to say it is not bad for all you get for the money and it is really the best configuration for what I needed. Time will tell about the 3.5 but I just decided to go for it. And, by the way, you can get a lot more off beyound the "red tag sale" pricing.
  • offroadaceoffroadace Member Posts: 1
    I have about 2800 miles on an '06 Crew 4X4 auto and just recently, yesterday, ran into a problem with it skipping 2nd gear and not shifting into OD.

Has anyone heard of this? :confuse:

I have tried running in 3rd and then shifting up, changing to 4x4 HI back to 2X4 HI and still misses 2nd and OD.

I am taking it in to have it investigated but wanted to know if anyone else has heard of this.

I am in SoCal so cold is not a factor.

Thanks
    ORA
  • michaelsz71michaelsz71 Member Posts: 5
    Just wondering what type of snowplow you have-any pics? I have a brush guard on my front, but also want a snowplow as well. I also am wondering how it mounts-if I will have to modify the mount to fit it WITH the brush guard- (www.dealsofsteel.com-Aries heavy duty $389 shipped to your door-I love mine-weighs about 75-85 pounds.) Thanks.
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    Can anyone tell me why the Isuzu truck has 7 year 75k warranty and the Chevrolet Colorado has only 3 year or 36k? I have a 2004 Colorado now but my next truck might be a Isuzu because I drive 22k a year and need the extra miles. Am I right in thinking that these are the same truck?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Yes, you're right - they are the same truck. The warranty is all about marketing. Chevy knows they'll get sales, but Isuzu is desperate to stay alive. Mazda-badged Ford clones also have better warranties than the Blue Oval version.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Within the next 12-18 months I plan to buy a new GM product (yeah GM Card!), which I hope to drive for 10+ years/150k miles. On paper a 5-cylinder crew cab Colorado makes a lot of sense for my needs, but I haven't heard any reports of how this setup performs over the long haul. I realize this truck is fairly new, but surely there's somebody out there wringing a ton of miles out of one of these that can give some indication of my odds of getting this type of use out of a Colorado. I know this can be done in the full-size Silverados, but I need the better fuel mileage, and a full-size truck won't fit in my garage!
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    It's my understanding that the I5 is just the I6 from the TB with one cyl. cut off. This is the same way GM did the V6's. Took the 350 v8 and cut off 2 cyl. to make it into a V6. Saves a lot of costs on a new engine and they already know how it will hold up without a lot of testing.
    I have a 04 TB and 04 Col. crew 4X4 and love both of them. I tow the Col. behind my Motorhome and don't see why it won't go the distance for ya.
    Speaking of windows, I test drove a used Colorado crew cab recently, and when backing out of the parking space I found the headrests to really block rearward views. I'm sure this gets better as one adjusts to the vehicle, but had anyone else had any problems with this? It also looked to me as if the headrests aren't adjustable/removable, so I'm assuming that's not an option.
    I bought my extended cab 4x4 I5 auto trans in Aug. or 2004. I really love this truck but there is some things that I didn`t like then and still don`t like such as cheep looking interior and blind spots. The power is great and the truck gets good gas mileage. I still love to drive my truck and it does everything I have ever asked it to do. I would recommened this truck to anyone.
  • gin2gin2 Member Posts: 2
    Have had the Colorado for 2 years with no problems. I've taken it in to the Chevy Dealer every 7,500 for service as recommended. Today was its 30K service which consisted of oil/filter change,rotated the wheels and inspected pretty much everything this alone cost $111. They found it needs a Rear Break job which consists of pads and resurface the rotors to the tune of $350, plus another $100 to replace the fuel filter. Costs seems rather high to me, but I haven't had to do this in awhile. Should I consider going independent should the cost be that much lower? Thanks in advance for any info.
  • gin2gin2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I'm new to this forum and have an 04 Colorado LS with 30K and was just told that I have to replace the pads and the rotors need to be re surfaced (cost $350). I don't know if the quality of the pads have anything to do with my break problem or not, but sure sounds like it could be.
  • 05colorado05colorado Member Posts: 3
    i bought a 05 chev colorado with 8k on it, its a crew cab, 5 cyl. 2wd, and im getting moisture in the cab, and in headlight lenses, pissing me off here, is this a common prob? Its stayes in covered parking overnight. I dont think for the moisture in the cab its and actual leak but might be an AC issue...ANy info would help. :cry:
  • mcarlemcarle Member Posts: 5
    something else to check on my truck has 48000km valves gone been waiting fot parts since dec 20 05.they have week valve springs this is a big problem that gm is faceing
  • mcarlemcarle Member Posts: 5
    Bought 2004 colorado 3 sets of steering tires so they change coil springs heater problems,now its been down for 4 weeks for valve job.want to get ride of it but gm wont take it back on trade.48000 km.i guess i dont blame them i wouldnt want it either.
    Well, the headlight lenses are easy. Probably pinched or defective gaskets or covers. Dealer should fix under warranty. As far as moisture in the cabin, could be a water leak somewhere, water soaking into the carpet. Have you checked all the carpeted areas for signs of moisture? If nothing there, then maybe the A/C evaporator drain is not fully functional and water could be trapped in the evaporator housing. Is there any funny smell when you turn the A/C on (coming from A/C vents)?
  • mansrmansr Member Posts: 1
    Bought an '05 Colorado crew cab with 10,000 miles on it just after hurricane Katrina drowned my Chevy Tracker, which I was quite pleased with. In the mornings the brakes lock up rather severely. I've had to replace the General tires, line up the front end. Today I took it in for an oil change and lube job and to have the leaking front right shock replaced. The shock had to be ordered. They found and replaced the leaking rear tranny seal. Don't get me wrong, I love the truck. The only reason I tried to get out of it was simply fear of the future. How much more trouble can I expect? I can't get out of it because right now I owe too much. My dealer is pretty good. They are overwhelmed down here on the Mississippi coast because they are the only dealership with a functioning service department. Katrina has changed so many lives down here. Well, God bless you all and I hope your troubles are few.
    mansr
  • gsp9gsp9 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 05 Canyon Crew Cab 4x4 with 12,000 miles on it. Has anyone had any luck in GM buying their truck back? I've had mine for 6 months now and it has had several problems both major and minor. As of right now, it is in to have the valvetrain and cylinder head replaced. The third week I owned it the internal clutch and transmission went. Plus I have had electrical problems and the usual tire promlems due to the General tires. All totaled it has been in the shop for about 3 weeks out of 6 months.
  • tdt3tdt3 Member Posts: 9
    I had an 05 Colorado that was in the shop 7 times over a 5 month period for the same problem. Every time they would fix something different and then tell me it was fixed. I went through the procedure as listed in the owners manual. After the forth time I talked to the service dept head. After the fifth time I called GM and had them open a case. I was contacted by the regional rep who said if it happened again engineers from Detroit would get involved. It happened again and once again they worked on it and told me it was fixed. When it broke for the 7th time they flew in a trouble-shooter from Detroit but by then I had had enough and opened a lemon case with the BBB here in Virginia. I did not hear anything from GM until I had the BBB set up an arbitration hearing date. One day after the hearing date was set I heard back from the BBB and on a conference call with GM was offered a new vehical or a buy back. I ended up with a new 06 Colorado. If you go this route you need to do your homework to insure that you get everything you are entitled to and you have to keep on GM so they don't take advantage of you.
    I think the key is the SAME problem to get the buy back. NOt sure but better check to be sure. :lemon:
  • gman2125gman2125 Member Posts: 1
    Was driveing to work this mourning out of no where my tire blows out. The truck is a 4wd 04, Z71 pack with General Ameritracs. Tires are in great shape only have 17k on them. I read somewhere that "chevy put defective tires on 04 and will change them", wondering if any one else had this problem and if the dealership will change them out
  • pmurraypmurray Member Posts: 10
    I have a 05 Colorado with 20,000 miles. It has been in for a week now and they tell me that they have to replace the ex. valve springs and seals and possibly the head. This is my first non Toyota and I am scared. Has yours been fixed?
    I own a 05 Colorado 5 cyl. with 20,000, my ck engine light came on and I took it in 1 week ago. They tell me it needs the ex valve springs and seals replaced and possibly the head. I found a few other posts with this same problem 719,744,748. One references a Chevy service bulletin 04-06-04-081A. I am very concerned and want it fixed correctly, not a band aid. I bought a second truck for my father in law and worry about that one as well. This is my first non-Toyota and I'm scared. Does anyone know more about this problem and how it is being handled? :sick:
    I almost bought a new 2005 crew cab 4X4 Colorado, but reading about these valve spring problems and not getting a satisfactory answer made me reconsider. I got an '06 Silverado Z71 crew cab instead. It was a bigger truck than I needed, but I figured it was more reliable than Colorado, and I use it primarily for hauling and towing. So far no problems. And a lot nicer interior than Colorado, and much more room in the back. It was only about $ 5k more than a similarly equipped Colorado.
  • gsp9gsp9 Member Posts: 3
    I got my truck back about a week ago. It was in for nine days. Tell them to replace the cylender head. Part of the problem is the cylender head from what they have told me. It looks as if I am getting an extended warranty due to the problems that I have had. Hopefully I am done taking this thing back to the shop, because I do like the truck, but only time will tell.
  • remoteraycerremoteraycer Member Posts: 17
    Is the valve spring problem just in the 5 cylinder engines, or the 4 cylinder as well??
  • detalrdetalr Member Posts: 2
    I have a 04 Chevy colorado that has had 5 wheel alignments since I bought it in November of 04. I understand from the shop that Chevrolet has designed the alignment system to be easy for mechanics to adjust. Unfortunately this means the truck is easy to get knocked out of alignment. Since I drive 100miles a day round trip to and from work. A misaligned truck can eat up a set of tires quick. Looking to see if there is any solution or anyone having the same problems with their Colorado. Other than that no problems. 42,000 miles.
    I don't know, the dealer is very tight lipped with information, though I'm not sure they know the extent of the problem. I want to know exactly what the problem is, how it is being resolved and what units are involved. I bought a second one of these for my father in law and want to know if that one is going to have the same problem.
    Aren't the 4- and 5-cylinder engines used in the Colorado/Canyon derived from the same 6-cylinder used in the Trailblazer? I understood that essentially these were the 6-cylinder engine with a cylinder or two cut off the end - I know it isn't that simple, but that for the most part that was the case.

If so, wouldn't the same problem be appearing across all three engines?
    I think you are right, that is one of the reasons I thought it was ok to buy. I don't know of any issues with the 6 cylinder. I think the truck is made by Izusu in Thailand.
    I think the truck is made by Izusu in Thailand.
    Yea, right, and Toyota is made in Iran next door to their nuke plant.
    Where did you ever get that idea? Thats the trouble around here and most other forums. People think before they know spreading false and misleading information. :P
    I think the truck was initially designed by (or in conjunction with) Isuzu, but I'm pretty sure it is made (assembled) in Shreveport, Louisiana, USA.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Isuzu does build this truck in Thailand for that market called D-Max. GM builds the i280 and i350 for Isuzu in North America in Shreveport.
    imagesrc="http://www.isuzu.co.jp/world/product/dmax/image/line_up_2_1.jpg">
  • detalrdetalr Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 04 Chevy Colorado for 14months and have had the truck aligned 5 times. It seems to keep wearing out the tread on the inside part of the tires. I asked the tech and he said they designed the suspension so it was easy for the technitions to adjust. The down side of that, it is easy for the truck to get out of alignment. Is anyone experiencing the same problems? If so are there any solutions?
  • 411411 Member Posts: 1
    I talked to the GM truck branch and asked a few questions about the Colorado. The GMC Canyon/Chevrolet Colorado are not their design or idea. He also said that the I-5 engine was also not their decision. The truck was originally designed for the Asian and European markets. The model was to came in the 2 that they currently have the primary difference is that the Base model engine would be the 2.8L I-4 and the Other engine that you can only get on the overseas model is the Isuzu I-4 Diesel. Producing 150hp and 350lb torque. The special note is that the Diesel model would and does continually get 39 miles per gallon. Once General motors truck division took over the production of the Colorado/Canyon line they were how I say it nicely.... Upset to say the least with Isuzu. GM had told Isuzu that they wanted for a truck that could be world wide certified for everything. Low and behold Isuzu did not do that. Now GM had a pickup to replace the S-10 but the engine compartment would not hold the I-6 and the Diesel model was not EPA certified to be used in the USA. So GM went and took the I-6. Lopped off a cylinder and ta dahh you know probably the rest of the story. Currently GM is experimenting with a New model engine a very spunky V-6 or detuned V-8. Expect the V-6 but similar to the Northstar system that turns off the cylinders for highway cruising and allowing the EPA numbers to stay the same.
    Given these facts, I am astounded that GM wouldn't simply fit the old and proven 4.3 liter V6 in the new Colorado. It's not like they discontinued this engine - they still use it in the base 1500 series full size Silverado. And it definitely is a more suitable engine for a pickup than the new I5 (more torque for one thing). I suspect that the resale value of the present Colorado trucks will plumet after the new V6 (or small V8) makes its way into this pickup.

It is a shame that US manufacturers do not offer more diesel engines in medium size vehicles. The big three offer only full size HD pickups with diesels, and they seem to be engaged in a ridiculous horsepower and torque war, constantly increasing the HP and torque rating fo the same engine. This at the expense of long term reliability and quality. These pickups are neither reasonably priced, nor economical. And given the price of diesel fuel, not the best choice right now. And a lot bigger than most people really need.

BTW, I very seriously doubt that you could get 39 MPG in a Colorado size pickup with a diesel engine. I say that because I did own a 1982 Datsun extended-cab pickup with a 4 cylinder diesel and all I got was about 24 MPG. Granted, this was a simple non-turbo engine with a 5 speed manual transmission, but it was a small engine and not very powerful.
    I think that 28-29 MPG would be a far more realistic estimate for the new Colorado diesel.
  • grumpypenguingrumpypenguin Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 05 Colorado crew cab I hope that I do not have the problems that you have been having. The dealer was blowing some BS about 100,000 mile oil changes does anyone know the real recommended interval [I have 7,000 miles on it now and am thinking of switching to Mobile 1 oil as I have had good results with it in my Porsche
    I have had my 2004 ext cab 4x4 for nearly two years and according to the owners manual you are supposed to wait until the computer tell you to change it but I am from the old school that believes clean air and oil are the life of an engine of I change my oil every 5k.
    FWIW I compromised with my 2000 Impala on oil changes by switching to Mobil-1 synthetic, but changing it based on the oil life monitor (typically every 6-7,000 miles). I wouldn't be comfortable driving that many miles on regular oil, but I also know synthetic would go much longer. I figure I'm splitting the difference, and by changing the oil myself I'm spending about the same $$ I would if I went to a quick lube place every 3,500 miles. I'd think a sililar approach on the Colorado would make sense too.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    Might ask that dealer what he's smokin or drinking.... sounds like he might be confusing the coolant change interval. I change mine every 4000-7000 depending on the driving I've been doing or 6 months. I've got about 26k on my 2004 4WD Crew Canyon and had no issues with the engine or drivetrain. (or really anything else, its been good to me.)
    The dealer was probably talking about the 100K mile tune up interval. The only way you could get away with a 100K mile engine oil change interval would be if the vehicle had an expensive oil filtration system. They tried it on some large trucks and claimed that oil could be good for a very long time with this system. Do not know if 100k would be applicabole even here though.
    I have been a Toyota 4 cylinder owner for about 25 years. I would chainge the oil every 7-10,000 with whatever oil was on sale at the parts store. On average I put 200,000 miles on my trucks and have never had any problems at all. I put 230k on one and it did not even burn oil at that point.
    Even though I am having a problem with my I5 I prefer that to a V6 or V8 as they just get worse mileage. That is one of the reasons I bought this truck instead of the Toyota Tacoma with the V6 is mileage. My previous Toyota I4 got 25+ mpg so that put put diesel should do pretty well. Unlike most american consumers I would be happy to get better mileage at the expense of less power.
    The disappointing 4000 lbs tow rating of the Colorado, and its cheasy interior was a major decision factor for me to go with Silverado. I used to drive a compact Nissan king cab V6 4X4 truck, which was capable of towing 5,000 lbs trailers ocassionally, but that was pushing the truck to the limit. I was strongly considering buying a 6 speed Nissan Frontier crew cab 4X4, but would you believe that it cost as much as my crew cab Z71 LT1 Silverado (figuring in my $3,500 GM card rebate)? I paid $ 24,750 plus tax for the Silverado(sticker price of $36,100), while the best I could do on a crew cab 4X4 Frontier was $ 24,500(sticker price $ 26,800), and that was almost down to the invoice price! Even though I do not like the bulk and size of the Silverado, I surely like the interior space and towing capability. And I believe that its resale value will always be higher than that of the Frontier.
    Here is an update. I got my truck back today 3+ weeks in the shop. They replaced the head, which I feel better about. Originally they told me it was going to be the ex valve springs and seals. I was able to get a copy of the service bulletin #04-06-04-081C - (Aug 18, 2005) the bulletin states "if the last 8 of the VIN is lower than 58261313, the engine unit number (shown in SI # 889181) will have to be inspected to determine if the bulletin applies. If the engine unit number is lower than 050880001, the bulletin applies to the vehicle. If the engine unit is 050880001 or greater, the engine already contains the updated valve seals and springs". I don't know why they seem to make this information so TOP SECRET hopefully this is the end.
  • bowtie_guybowtie_guy Member Posts: 5
    Im an old skool thinker myself, Every 3000 - 3500 miles I change the oil with a Wix filter(51042) and Valvoline 10w30 oil and every other oil change it gets 1 qt of Marvel Mystery Oil as well. I've had my 05 I4 for a year now and just hit 20,512 miles I've changed the oil 7 times already I didn't think my truck had a "change oil light" cause it never come on..... until I had 18,378 miles on it :surprise: I was in utter shock! I mean come on you either change your oil or you change your engine! I just can't even begin to imagine driving that far in a gas motor or even a dry sleeve diesel for that fact with out changing the oil, heck we change the oil every 15,000 miles on our big diesels which are wet sleeve motors I just cant imagine that there are people out there that actually go by these damn "Dummy lights"!
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    Why in the hell would any dealer talk about 100,000 mile oil changes? Synthetic or not, that is good way to kill an engine. I will lay you money that you never get there with that engine if you take his stupid advice.
This discussion has been closed.