Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Colorado

Comments

• esjrennesjrenn Member Posts: 9
    My truck has the Z-85 suspensen the driver side tire weares A lot worse then the passenger side what is up with this they can,t correct the proublem. I like the truck and I don,t won,t to replace the tires till they get it right.
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Member Posts: 110
    Is there anyone out there that has a high mileage I5 that has not had any trouble with valve spring problems?
    I,ve got A four and I sold A 351 ford before I bought it. It has all the power I need.You need to drive one with A five speed. I does really well. Hell it has got more power the the old nissan V6 at 160 hp.The new frontier four has got 155. Keep in mind gas is going to go to over three dollars every where maybe higher so the four at 25 mpg not bad
  • larry25larry25 Member Posts: 4
    your right about General tires I had a 2005 Z71 4x4 I5 and they have put four sets on & it still shakes. the inside of the tires wore in front. havent had valve spring trouble but traded for 2006 Silverado Z71 5.3 fex fuel, what a truck it rides as good as my 2004 Impala. They should recall all the Colorado & melt them all & make a smaller Silverado.
  • lynne77lynne77 Member Posts: 9
    I did not even deal with GM on my tire problem. I went to a local garage to have the alignment taken care of and then I had my local garage rotate the tires. I have not had any other issues so far with the tires. But because of the wear on the inside last summer I am buying 2 new tires this spring when I pull my winters off in a couple of weeks. I found out when I called the local Chevy garage about the alignment problem so I did not even bother with them.
  • lynne77lynne77 Member Posts: 9
    My passenger side was wearing worse then the drives side. I think GM has to go back to making the alignment a little more difficult to preform then the trucks will not be so easily knock out of alignment when you hit a bump in the road. Unless you live in the city I think most people are going to have problems with the alignment on these trucks. The more I read it seems GM did not expect people to drive these trucks any place besides black top roads. But even they get rough in the spring with frost heaves. I live in New England and we have a lot of dirt roads so need to be careful of the pot holes or you may need to have the truck re aligned. Good luck with your alignment.
  • coloradojunkcoloradojunk Member Posts: 1
    has anyone figured out what causes the knocking/popping sound in the steering? i can feel this under the floor board on the drivers side and in the steering.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    2000-2005 Impalas (and other GM cars) have had trouble with intermediate steering shafts developing "clunking" noises, especially when applying the brakes and/or making sharp turns...I think I also saw something about a similar problem on the Silverado board. I haven't heard anything about this problem on Colorados, but seems plausible.
  • mike2250mike2250 Member Posts: 29
    Since the Colorado's and Canyon's have rear drum brakes; does anyone know if there are self adjusters on the back. If so I can't get mine to work and this may be the source of my variable brake pedal pressure. thanks
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I think that all auto and truck manufacturers went to self adjusting rear drum brakes several decades ago.
    I figured since the front discs adjust with each use, that they may have eliminated the rear adjusters.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    They did and haven't checked but the procedue for adjusting them are to back up and pump the brakes. I go to a place where I have plenty of room and back up at about 25 and pump them. Then I do the same but step of them hard acouple times. This should do the trick if they aren't froze up. They are supposed to self adjust each time you back up and step on the brake but I like to help them out 3 or 4 times a year. :P
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    Ok, first of all as I'm not a Colorado owner but maily lurk and see messages from ya'll, I commented on the Chevy cheap tradition of not using any rear fender liners. Then I saw a Colorado up close the other day and at least the LS model, had plastic fender liners in the rear. They were not full liners that came down the inside of bed behind the brake area, but it was a big step forward in terms of body protection.

Regarding the ISS, my Intrigue had a bad case of clunking and I removed teh ISS and lubed it with a HD lithium based grease, worked the grease in as best I could, and I haven't had any trouble yet from it. Drives like new one. Search for ISS lube and you'll find directions. You basically secure the steering wheel straight ahead, then pull back the grey boot and disconnect each end and comes out.

Dirk
    I finally got a call back from Chevrolet regarding the self adjusters for the rear brakes. They say the emergency brake is what adjusts the rear, but at a little at a time. Here in Florida we have only a few hills and seldom have a reason to use the parking brake. They still suggest using it often.
    Seems strange to me, but they said.
    My 2004 ext-cab 4 wheel drive with a I5 auto has just turned 30k and I am thinking about an extended warranty. I recieved a letter from GM about a plan they have for about $290 down and $93 a month for 15 mths. Is this a good plan or should I look some more? With all of the cylinder head problems people have been having I`m worried it might happen to me and cost me out of my pocket after the warranty has run out.
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    "Seems strange to me, but they said."

Not too strange really...several vehicles in the past have used the parking brake to adjust rear drums. One that comes to mind was mid-80's Mercury Capri and I'm sure Mustangs of same vintage did also.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    How Long are you planning to keep the Truck?
    What does the plan cover? and what are the fine print "out clauses"? (i.e. maintenance etc... clauses.)
    What is the years of coverage and up to what mile s(i.e. 6 years, 100k miles)
    What is the deductibles (i.e. deductible per visit or per item?)

If it covers the motor tranny, control systems, fuel systems, electronic systems without any easy out clauses for the insurer and the deductible is low (say $100 or less), it will likely be worth it if you plan to keep the truck for several years and up to 100k miles or more.
    I just sold my 2004 4WD crew cab with just under 30k miles and had no problems to speak of in over two years of ownership. I only sold it because i had a couple of guys pestering me for several months who really wanted it... and finally hit my price point.
  • evile1evile1 Member Posts: 10
    (I have had my brake light switch go out TWICE already since I've owned this hunk of junk Colorado--funny, now theres a recall!!)

General Motors Corp. is recalling about 400,000 pickups due to defective brake lights. The Shreveport GM plant makes the three models affected: the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon from the 2004-2006 model years and the 2006 Isuzu i-280 and i-350.

GM said some vehicles may permanently lose brake-lamp function or have brake lamps that are always on. On vehicles with cruise control, that function also becomes inoperative.

GM is unaware of any crashes resulting from the problem, company spokesman Alan Adler said.

Dealers will replace the brake lamp switch assembly in the affected vehicles at no charge.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration contacted GM to inquire about the issue after receiving three complaints; the company issued the recall in response, Adler said.

GM notified NHTSA of the recall in a letter dated Friday.

The Shreveport plant began production of the midsize Isuzu i-280 and i-350 trucks in June. At that time, the plant planned to build 5,000 to 10,000 of the Isuzus during a year’s time. The vehicles are variants of the locally built Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon.

The Colorado and Canyon vehicles went into production in 2003.

©The Times
    May 1, 2006
    So just because it has a recall it is now a hunk of junk. So tell me just what vehicle made out there hasn't had or will have at least one recall. I guess 99% of all vehicles made will become a hunk of junk in your eyes. Guess you should buy a new pair of shoes as chances are you will wear them out before they are recalled. :P
  • tonkatruktonkatruk Member Posts: 11
    Some people are just plain idiots. To consider a vehicle (one which I like very much) a "hunk of junk" just because of a safety recall is just plain stupid. I am glad to see that the problem is being dealt with, and that the manufacturer is taking care of the problem, not side stepping it. If you would take yourself to NHTSA's web site you will find that EVERY car company has issues with their products and that this is how the industry polices itself. Bye the way, I wish this were true of the last Toyota that I owned, the one that would stall making left hand turns from a stop. Toyota gave me the run-a-round for 2 years and I accidentally stumbled across a service bulletin that addressed the issue with the fuel injection system on that motor. After $1400.00 of my "out of pocket" money they replaced the defective unit, still never went public with the issue. If you hate your Colorado, SELL IT! :cry:
  • vatakvatak Member Posts: 8
    My '96 S-10 was recalled for some minor stuff. I think there were two or three items in all. That was still the best vehicle I've owned yet.
    there was a thread last week about excessive tire wear. I happened upon this and if you haven't seen it before, you may want to look TSB 3198.
    Toyota is well known for denying that something is wrong with their vehicles. What tickles me is the people who own them believe it and still think the Toy is a great vehicle. Look at the Prius, if it gets stuck in the snow it shuts down and has to be pulled out. I can't think of the times I have rocked my Chevys back and forth until I got unstuck. They are also starting to have display problems after the warranty runs out at about 4,000 a pop.
    I had A 1998 toyota four wheel drive that out of the 20 or so new vechials I have owned in my life I,m 60 was proubly one of the sorriest trucks I have ever owned. It had to meany proublems to list. I finely gave up and traded it for A nissan frontier which turned out to be A much better truck.The colorado I have now has done A real good job but for the front end and tires.
    I have a 2004 ext. cab I5 auto trans truck with 30k and no problems yet. I have heard of many engine problems on this web site and I was wondering are the new 2006 Colorado trucks any better? I might trade for a new one in 2007 and I hope all of the things will be fixed by then.
  • billingsleybillingsley Member Posts: 69
    I wonder if anyone has heard whether Chevy/GMC is going to put a 6 cylinder in these two small trucks? I think some of the reason the sales are slow, hence the $3000 rebate is because of the 5 cylinder vs a 6 in the competition.

:)
    From what I've read elsewhere the displacement bump for the 2007 model will probably carry over through the 2008 model year as well. There's talk of a redesign for 2009; probably not a total redesign, but likely cosmetic to bring the truck into the "new" look of the full-size 2007 models...that's probably the best opportunity for any major drivetrain changes to appear.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Any truth to the rumor that they are working on a 3/4 ton version of Colorado for the '08 model? It is supposed to have the big block 8.1 liter V8 standard, coupled to the 6 speed Allison transmission currently used in heavy duty silverado Duramax trucks.
    I doubt it, They already have the Silverado, why aould they build their own in house competition.
  • jlb2jlb2 Member Posts: 18
    My Chevy 5 cyl is doing fine, a 220hp eng around town with 19 to 21 mpg on $3.25 gal gas.And down the road $4to5 per gal its going to be better.And that 4cyl might look better.If a person wants more go with the Halfton V-8,also Ford has a 10cyl. :D
    I'm glad your Chevy is running fine. The mileage factor is another one to consider. The Toy and The Frontier don't get the same mileage as the Chevy/GMC twins. HMM!

• crsdlscrsdls Member Posts: 4
    :lemon: I own a 2004 Chevy colorado and I love the trucks style and color. I have had more problems then I can name such as my tire have excessive wear and not even 30k miles and I was told that the tires are only under warranty for up to 7k, I have already replaced the lumbar roll twice, the drives seat rails (seat moved after locked) Black Smoke since it was 4 months old we can not even park it in the garage for fear it will set off the Carbon monoxide detector.(I was told it was my wife imagination) My truck is now in the shop to have the door hinges replaced because the bolts keep coming loose and popping when opening or closing. My truck has been in the shop for a pop from the exhaust (such as when a vehicle is cooling off after a long drive) mine I only have to drive it for about a mile and it pops. I really hope that someone who has had some of the same problems will let me know so I will know that my wife is not really crazy. :lemon:
  • gdalzielgdalziel Member Posts: 2
    We own a 2006 Chev Colorado and we recently due to a vehicle on the wrong side of the road, went off the road, and came in contact with a cement barrier, the only damage to the truck that we could see was a broken mud flap, marks on the tire and the upper arm on the driver's front side wheel had snapped. We had the vehicle towed in and now they say the frame is bent. We were going under 50 kms per hour. HAS ANY ONE heard of any problems with how these trucks are built!

Thanks
  • duchevyduchevy Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everyone, Let me start off with saying that I am new to this forum. I have had nothing but problems with my 2004!! It all started off in june of 2004 when I bought it, I drove it off the lot only to find a hand shaped blood print on the back of the drivers seat. I immediately took it back, the same day, only to hear that since I drove it off the lot it was my problem.
    In August of that year, my 4 Cyl started to accelerate on its own. I took it in and was told that the problem couldn't be duplicated. It happened again at the end of August, thank God, this time it was duplicated. But I was told that they had no "Service Bulletins" on how to fix the problem so they adjusted my idle. It still happens every few months, but I get the same response of not being able to duplicate it.
    Then in September of 2004, the buttons on my radio started to wear out on the edges. I took it in, and had the radio replaced. The black finish actually wore down to white on the edges. It happened again in March of 2005, and it was replaced again. And then it happened again in April of 2006 and it was replaced again. I am told by Executive Customer service that my truck is the only one they saw that on. But since it happened three times I somehow doubt that.
    In June of 2005, one of my cylinders burned out. I started noticing a drastic change in my gas mileage and took it in. I was told that there was nothing wrong. So in July I took it to a new shop, and they figured out that I burned a Cylinder. So they fixed it.
    Smith Chevrolet in Hammond Indiana Rocks. They have helped me out every time I had a problem and they have been great at keeping me calm.
    In March of this year my suspension started squeaking with every bump I hit. It was so loud that I thought it was falling apart. I took it in and they fixed a knuckle that was rubbing.
    I also pointed out that I had a horrible rattle coming from underneath, and they tighten my heat shield that some how vibrated loose.
    In April, my HVAC Motor started making weird noises so they checked it out. It had debris in the blower.
    In May the HVAC Motor started acting up again so they put a shield on it, that chevy had just put a bulletin out on.
    In May, the replaced my blower motor for the HVAC cause it stopped working. Though it took them two times to diagnosis that problem.
    Then today, May 22 I took it in for excessive tire wear. The front two tires have very severe cupping on the inside edges. They checked out my suspension, and offered to do an alignment for 69.99. I refused, because my mechanic will do it cheaper.
    Once again I talked to Executive customer care today, and I was told they had no knowledge of anyone having issues with excessive tire wear like mine. It is funny how many people are posting on here that say they have the same problems, yet GM is say they haven't heard of them!!
    I love GM cause I was raised that way!! I am 27 and this is the first New vehicle I have ever bought. I am a college student that doesn't have a lot of extra money, and I am actually really hurt that GM is turning its back on me like this. As I told the GM Executive customer service rep, I have a sticker in the back of my colorado window that says "I would rather push a Chevy than Drive a Ford," but I didn't really mean that!! Does anyone have any advice that would help me in this situation?? If you do please post it.
    Please don't take this post as me ripping on GM, cause I am a GM fan. I just think I made a mistake in buying this vehicle the first year it came out!! Please help if you can. Thanks in advance.
    I noticed that a lot of people on this forum are having the same issues with extensive wear on their Colorado's. I spoke with GM this morning, and they recently came out with a Service Bulletin. Take the vehicle back to the dealer and have the front tires replaced, and the front end re aligned!! Trust me on this, they will try to blame it on everything under the sun. But the base of the problem is that it is a design flaw. If you go to a good shop you shouldn't have to argue with them since there is a bulletin! Have a good day!!
  • gdalzielgdalziel Member Posts: 2
    Do you know where I could get a copy of this bulletin?

Thanks
    Gordie
    I have had my truck back to the dealer six times and they haven,t fixed the proublem yet. They have replaced the tires two times and they are still wearing on the inside. I will carry it in again and see what they say.My truck has got 28000 on it and that is the only proublem I have had.
    I got my bulletin's at carstats.com And there are three of them one for 4 X 2, 4 X 4, and one for extended Cab's. Why they made one for extended cabs is beyond my comprehension. But I was told that it is an alignment problem that is causing it on my truck. And they are replacing the tires, and realigning it. I rotate my tires diagnally every other oil change, so the couldn't convince me of that it was a rotation problem. Hope this helps you guys. Esjrenn, watch your gas mileage my 2 cyl on my truck when out at about that mileage.
    I just read on carstats.com that the 2007 Colorado truck will have a 3.7 I5 242hp 20 valve engine. Has anyone else heard this info?
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I believe I read it on this forum about the service bulletin on the front suspension fix. Try reading back a couple of months if you can't find the information at the posted website.
  • cycleguy750cycleguy750 Member Posts: 1
    Speaking of oil change lights, does anyone know how to shut the thing off, or at least reset it? I do my own oil changes and most of the maintenance. THe light flashes at me all the time now even though I change my oil every 3,000 miles. If I hit the reset button for the trip odometer it shuts off the message until the next time I start my truck. Is there a reset button elsewhere that resets the system? :confuse:
    It's covered in the owners manual. Press the trip reset button and scroll through the messages until you get to oil change. Hold the button until the message changes to reset oil monitor. Let up on the button. you sshould get a short beep confirming the change.
    Has anyone heard any more details on the coming 2007 Colorado/Canyon? I know there were reports of the engines being upsized somewhat, which will up the horsepower rating of each engine...but I'm interested to see how this will impact the gas mileage of the truck. I know there were some comlaints about the truck being underpowered, but I suspect there were just as many who bought the truck because of its gas mileage.
  • 1tj11tj1 Member Posts: 1
    Since my last posting was deleted, because it had the phone number to the Chevy customer service, I'll try again. I was told by the customer service rep, that if enough people call about the tire wear problem on their Colorados, it MIGHT generate a recall. I bought mine used, and did not see the problem until after the warranty was expired. All I got from the dealer after I paid to have the front end aligned was "there is only a technical service bulletin on this problem, not a recall" (basically, the old "not my problem" answer). With very little effort, you can find the number to customer service. I told them to look here, on this website and count the number of postings about the problem, and they would see this is not just one, or two people. So let's make some noise, and see if we can't get the problem solved
  • gjsdiggagjsdigga Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if you ever got a resolution to the buzzing sound on your Colorado? I have the same problem and would appreciate any help.
  • gjsdiggagjsdigga Member Posts: 2
    Have you had any luck resolving the buzzing sound? I have the same problem.
  • jm3004jm3004 Member Posts: 3
    My 05 worktruck with the 3.5 has been great with 15,000 miles so far...My only gripe is the generals that came on the truck...I WISHED the damm things would wear out!!! great for burnouts and not much more...After driving in the worst rainstorm in years I went out the next day and put on a set of Dunlop 235 75s on the stock worktruck rims and its a completely different truck now from a handling and braking standpoint not to mention they actually look like they belong on it(the stocks were 205s)...Some GM exec should be choked for sending a new truck out the door with such junk for rubber.
  • mailman22116mailman22116 Member Posts: 2
    Mike2250 is correct. Check in your manual section 3-39 for the DIC(driver info center). I was also told by a Jiffy lube tech and have done it myself,is to turn the ignition to on, without starting it and tap accelerator 3 times and it will reset. It came on 1/2 mile after I left Jiffy Lube and turned right around and complained :mad: and the tech showed me how to reset it on my 04 Colorado.
    I recently saw a brief message that Colorado/Canyon will be increasing the horsepower on the '07 models. I saw the figure 242 horses versus today's 220.

Unfortunately, I don't know anymore

• jm3004jm3004 Member Posts: 3
    Im pretty happy with the power of the 3.5 I had my doubts considering other makes were up at least 30hp in V6 trim but after the test drive(including a 30 foot posi mark)I was sold....Now id imagine 220 hp in a 4x4 crewcab WOULD be sluggish but in regular cab 2 wheel drive its enough...Of course if chevy decided to go with some sort of V8 id trade this one in tomorrow :)
This discussion has been closed.