Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege Owners: Future Models

2»

Comments

• groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    Come on pal, you gotta give us a more thorough review of what you saw then that!!

Details, details!!!

Especially the sedan.
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    Come on you have to spill the beans!
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    The front sort of reminded me of a combo of the new Camry with some of the IS300 and Audi A4 in there. It is a more fluid design than either. It is smaller than the IS300, but has muscular lines none-the-less. The rear is higher than on previous Proteges (now called a Mazda 3). There is a clear (with a red tint) lense over the rear signal lights. The backup lights are each a big circle that are now mounted on the trunk lid

The front has headlights that were three receding silver circles and a clear lense (sort of like the Camry, except the lights are all the same size). Of course the signature grill was there.

The nose and bottom look a little like the Dodge Avenger on the sport model, and more like the Camry on the standard model.

The Wagon looks very similiar to the picture, except that the nose is more curved, and the fog lights are round. The side profile reminds me a little of a sleeker Pontiac Vibe. They had a Toyota Matrix there. The Toyota looked higher and bulkier than the Mazda wagon. The Mazda wagon also had a little bit of a point in the rear on the trunk lid (a shallow angle).

On the side view, the back seemed a little stubby (it is a compact). The rear seats were a little cramped.

The interior is really nice, even though I really did not care for the center console much. On the sport model, it is mainly charcole with sport bucket seats with plenty of bolsters (even a middle one in the front of the seat cushion!). The color scheme of the sport seats reminded me of my WRX seats. There was less bolstering on these seats than my WRX. The shifter had a nice feel even if it seemed a little vague. The trim did use plenty of aluminum colored trim. The dash was interesting. Looked like it was dials, but LCD hands! The dash was very well covered from sun, so I assume this will not be a problem. It was off so I could not tell for sure.

On the standard model, it was very well done! The color was the same color as the exterior, but looked sharp with the top of the dash being a different color than the bottom, sort of like on luxury vehicles (without the wood trim). I assume you will have the option of wood trim. The fabrics seemed to be of good quality.

The spoiler on the sports model of the sedan was sort of cheesy. It looked nice, but was just a piece of plastic covering the corner of the trunk lid. Was like the spoilers on Dodges and Chryslers.

The center console was not bad. It was charcole plastic with orange trim on the dials. It looked a little cheap, but better than many of the other cars we looked at (Civic, the Mitsu, Volkswagon Pasat and Golf). Also the stereo was part of the center console, not a separate unit fitted into the console. I really did not like that.

All in all, it looked like a significant improvement in shape and style to the older model, which in itself is very nice. Hey, if they come out with a Mazdaspeed version of it, I might think about it!
    The front on the wagon above does not do it justice. The headlights are the same though.
    What does, " Looked like it was dials, but LCD hands!" mean?
    If the dash looks a little cheap (which i doubt mazda would do) how does it look better then the Passat? I am sure it is better then the WRX. This sounds like it will blow the competition sky high. Go Mazda!
  • stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    I hope it won't be long before more pictures and specs are released. Think Mazda's new 2.3l will power the ES version? Almost makes me want to hold out on the Mazda 6... almost.
    http://www.goonish.com/atenza/read.php?TID=258

I think that is a photoshop'd image, but that's more like what I would expect the Mazda 3 to look like, and does fit the description you posted.

Front - very similiar, but round fog lights, plastic bar going across bottom front air intake, middle of the hood is slightly raised (sort of like the PT Cruiser, but not as high, and wider).

Back - Single exhaust, Back up lights are separated from the signal and brake lights (they are now integrated into the trunk lid). The two lights on each side (signal and brake) are same color with a reddish tint lense covering. Also, there is a black plastic piece on the bottom, like the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, and I believe the Audis. Spoiler is just an angled piece of plastic over rear corner of trunk lid, not a raised bar.

Hope this helps.
    I was basing the comparison to the Mazda6, sorry.

It does have the muscular buldges in the back. The sedan is more upright, but similiar profile to the orange one shown. No silver bar on top of grill. Rear does not curve inward. plastic bar going across the bottom air intake, with two small, round fog lights.
    Wow thank you so much for all the information! We wouldn't know anything about it without you. Is Mazda telling you anything else about the car like when the rest of us will get to see it? Lol, just a thought...does Mazda pat you down for cameras or anything? If they don't have you thought of sneaking a picture of the 3 for us Mazda junkies? The front sounds like it looks like the RX-8's. Thanks again!

P.S.- Do you mean that the speedo and tach have computerized hands? Sounds very cool.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I would say that the rear of the sedan looks much more like RX-8 than the front. The front looks a little like it was a tastefull shape taken from Toyota. Overall, the car looks like a mini 6, IMO.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Sounds better than that picture of the 5-door miniwagon makes it look.
    "P.S.- Do you mean that the speedo and tach have computerized hands? Sounds very cool."

- Both were. I do not know if the hands are LCD or it lights up like the Accord. They never powered the car up when I sat in it. It could also be just for the prototype.

maltb is right about the styling, it does look similiar to a mini6. There are a few minor tweaks though. Nice car.

The pictured miniwagon is similar but too rough compared to the one I saw. The picture looked like an early prototype. The one I saw looked more sleek and muscular, with fender flairs in the back.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Click here to see an actual Mazda 3

http://www.facm.net/eng/col_30.htm

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

do you know anything about the insides of the car, like what engines Mazda plans to use? Inside bigger than now, or did they keep it the same? Anything else of note?
    Rear seats are cramped. Sort of like my WRX. I think the interior is similar in size to the current model. The car might be slightly wider though.

If anyone has any information on the engine, I would be all ears. For me, the more power the better.
    Std 2.0, 2.3 in the ES
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Very funny. HA HA HA! NOT! :)

Engine should be the 2.3 in the 6 IMO or a revised 2.0.

Dinu
    Thanks for all the information guys... but when do the rest of us get to see it!? :) I hope the front doesn't look too much like a Toyota (which I don't think it will).
    will it be the 2.0 that is in the Euro "6" or a new one? Cause, that 2.0 over there is already brand new.
  • preston_wongpreston_wong Member Posts: 4
    kevin111 & maltb,

Do you know what the suspension will be on the Mazda3? Strut-type like the current Protege or double-wishbone + e-type on the 6?

And when's this car coming out anyways, an '04 or '05 model?

Thanks guys for the info so far!
    I was under the impression that the 3 was going to be an '04 though, at least that is what Motor Trend said on their website for future cars.

- Suspension, I do not know.
  • groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    That supports my understanding. The Mazda3 is slated to arrive in showrooms late next fall as a 2004 model, but you never know. Same thing could happen to it as the Mazda6 with the introduction being pushed early into the new year as a 2005 model designation.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    before we move onto the Mazda3, look at this:

http://forum.protegemp3.com/vbb222/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9263

Same power and upgrades. I think the wheels are slightly different though.
    Sounds like a way to get a few more turbos sold and pay for the R&D.
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    I think someone with a dealer as a dad already speculated that the next MS would be basically the 03 MS Pro with different do-dads for looks. I guess this confirms.
  • dafababa1dafababa1 Member Posts: 2
    my dealer said that i can expect mine on possibly nov 22nd. whats up with that. has any body herd diff?
    Oh Mazda3! Where are you? When will we get to see you??
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    When I went to the Browns Fairfax dealership (most or all their MSP's are sold, and they're waiting too) - I asked them.

They expect it over the next couple of weeks, because the installation of the turbo, audio etc at the port (Seattle?) has been excruciatingly slow, apprently.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Just a couple of shopping days left until Christmas... avoid the holiday crush and join us for an evening of automotive chat and good cheer!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA MANIA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule
This discussion has been closed.