Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima 2004 Redesign

Comments

• jhunterbobjhunterbob Member Posts: 17
    I am a some time maxima owner. Had a 1987 then a 1989 then a 1996. The 1989 was so far ahead of its time. Ir is still a good car, I just got tired of shifting gears!!!

I like the new design (Reminds me a little of the Lexus GS 300). Also, the rear quarter looks like the new 350Z a little.

My question... Are there any major leaps mechanically with this model? Have they fixed any major flaws?

As I said, I had a 1996 but someone rear ended me and it basically collapsed. I opted for a 1993 Q45 after that and am still driving a 1995 Q45 just for its size and feeling of safety. But I would like to get back into a maxima, just for its smaller enginge and lower cost of maintenance if for no other reason.
  • pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    Oooohh, it has the Altima's profile...but with a very ugly looking nose. The trunk lines look like a Lexus GS. BAD, BAD, BAD !!! Kill the Max, Nissan !
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    the nose is fake, no one can intentionally make it that ugly!
  • logitech1logitech1 Member Posts: 32
    I worried if the redesigned 2004 max will have any major flaws? My friends told me don't buy the redesigned car, they all have major flaws, and said better buy the last year modle since most major flaws are already fixed, so it has been said, 2003 max is a better choice than 2004 max...but I want the big size, and it looks nicer!
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    It's possible, but not always true. I bought the 1st 2000 Maxima in the town I live in, actually as soon as it came off the truck in June of 99 I claimed ownership of it. Never had a problem with it..period! I kept it for over 3 years, just traded it in for a '03 SE. All I did to the '00 was oil change, 2 air filters, and 1 set of tires. I'm sure there are some out there that have flaws, but mine surely wasn't one of them.
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_midmod.htm

looks not good... hope they can improve it in 2004

• 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    Interesting. Your last post interested me b/c I'm still deciding whether or not I want to get an '03 SE TE. I looked in the NHTSA's website last week and noted that the '03 max received 4 out of 5 stars...

http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/2493.html

It's amazing how two tests can get different results! Hopefully I'll never have to find out who's right...the hard way!

I feel much better now. That sounds much better than the previous post. However, I have the same thoughts as you, hope I NEVER find out which is actually right. I have the '03 SE.
    4 star is not good either, see Lexus E300 and Subaru Legacy 4-DR. Wagon

http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/2003MidS.html

even Camry has 2 five stars...

Then maybe you should consider one of those 3 makes. Do you anticipate crashing? It sure isn't in my plans.
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    I'm surprised that there is no difference between the 2003 with the side airbags and the one without. It makes me feel good cause my SE doesn't have side airbags. Of course no one ever plans crashing but it's always a good idea to buy the safest car you can get for the money. I came to a Maxima because my Intrigue was totalled (the Intrigue had very poor crash test results but protected me in a real world situation very well).
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    Lot's of tangential thinking going on here...
    I want more pictures
    like jg28 said, "always a good idea to buy the safest car you can get for the money"
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I guess we should all drive Volvos then. Too bad for all the other car companies...

I didn't like the thing in the middle of the grill on the '04 Max. Makes it look like a pig's nose. I think the grill on the current Max is it's best feature so I was hoping they wouldn't play with it too much in the '04. The spy photo grill looks too much like the current Pontiac or BMW grills, neither of which I care for.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    Not to dismiss the crash tests, but I'll take my chances.

Did you guys see the list of features/options for the '04? Someone posted this on maxima.org so I don't know how reliable this is...

3 transmissions available: 5sp Auto w/manual shift mode, 4sp Auto, 6sp Manual

Vehicle Dynamic Control available on both auto transmissions

Dual exhaust with 4 chrome tips

Power folding mirrors standard on SE (available on SL)

Skyview Roof standard on all models. Sunroof is an option. This skyview roof is narrower than a typical sunroof, but runs the lenght of the car. From the exterior it will appear as one solid piece of tinted glass, but from the interior it will be split into front and rear by a narrow beam that will be coverd by headliner material. There will also be sunshades to pull shut to completely block off light if desired.

Bose will be the premium sound system, not Rockford.

A rear center console will be available on both trim levels (reduces seating to 4)

Dual Zone Climate Control with rear AC vents.

Center display integrates displays of HVAC, radio, and trip computer (similar to Murano).

Optional DVD Nav system.

It will be revealed at Jan 5 Detroit Auto Show

It will be available as soon as March 5, 2003.

20 gal fuel tank

18' wheels on SE model

Cornering lights

speed sensitive wipers

tilt/telescopic steering wheel

6 colors: winter frost, liquid silver, spirited bronze, champagne mist, red opulence, radiant ember

Full size spare comes with VDC option

Helical limited slip diff on manual SE model.

Elite package includes rear center console, rear sunshade (power), and rear heated seats.

Rear door courtesy lights. Rear reading lights.

Sirius or XM radio available on both models.

Interior colors: cafe latte, black, frost, and burnt orange/black.

Two exterior colors from 2003 are still available: onyx and majestic blue.

18" chrome wheel option.

The "traditional" sunroof is an option on all models.

Multi-link independent rear suspension.

Auto tint rear view mirror with compass & home link

That skyview roof sounds cool. Also, I had cornering lights (and IRS) on my 92 max. I'm glad to see they are upgrading from the 5th generation to a 3rd generation :-)

I dunno guys, this car has $35,000 to $37,000 (loaded) written all over it.

• jhunterbobjhunterbob Member Posts: 17
    I want my new 2004 maxima information and I want it now!!!!!!!!

I was the same way when the 1989's came out. I just had to have that car. I'm not usually a big car guy, but I am ashamed to say that I fell in love with the Altima design and am hoping that the Maxima is a bigger and better version of this.

I am not sure if I am going to be able to wait until the 5th of Janaury and the NY auto show!
  • riskaker11riskaker11 Member Posts: 39
    img src=
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    The only good thing I can say about it is that it's the only part of the car that doesn't look like a Saturn Ion.

I guess the phrase "a face only a mother could love" applies here.
  • qguqgu Member Posts: 93
    Look at this feature list. Nissan is killing Infiniti. I guess they intentionally make the front end so ugly to give I35 a chance to survive.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Having seen the pictures of the 2004 Maxima's front end, I can say this is one UGLY car. (frown)

I'm disappointed that Nissan didn't bring over the Japanese domestic market Nissan Teana design for the new Maxima--the new car looks ugly on BOTH ends.

I can almost guarantee that there will be changes to the front and rear end designs within two years of the introduction of the 2004 Maxima.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    For the last two Maxima generations, that has happened.

The fourth gen Maxima was released back in MY1995, by MY1997, it was facelifted.

Same for the fifth gen Maxima. It was released for MY2000, by MY2002 it was facelifted.

I would expect this to continue with the next gen.

I personally like the latest Maxima. Not as much as the Altima, but I do like it. I like the current model as well. I never really cared for the 4th gen. model. Especially the 1995-1996 with it's muy feo front and rear treatments.
    I'm really glad I went ahead and picked up an '03 last month. I'm fixing to take it on it's first road trip, to the beach for New Years!!!
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Why are you guys posting and arguing just about the design? I know, you gotta love the car you have, but once you get inside the vehicle you forget what's going on outside. Now let's talk about: is it powerful? smooth ride? quiet enough? good controls and nice instruments? comfy seats? an so on...

And don't forget: it's impossible to satisfy everybody's taste. I hope in the near future the automakers will give the buyers an option to design their own front- and rear- ends, or instrument controls, and then release a vehicle especially to your taste... sound great, huh?
  • wgrwgr Member Posts: 127
    When I am spending over $30,000 for a new car, I want it to be as close to what I want inside AND outside. If not, I will spend that ungodly amount on some other car that comes closer to my tastes. I don't care how great the car performs and how great the interior is; if it looks like crap on the outside, why buy it ?????
  • maxxed_outmaxxed_out Member Posts: 23
    has anyone gotten the specs yet?
  • choe13choe13 Member Posts: 348
    Altima- was stunning, its still beautiful(love the radical design and clear tailight)
    Murano- i saw one on the streets while driving and almost got into an accident it was so beautifull(most futuristic looking car out now)
    Maxima- WHAT THE HELL were nissan designers thinking?? nastiest car nissan has made. All the lines and shape don't add up, and the back is shaped like a hatchback but its really a sedan, what kind of brilliant idea is that!?!
    who ruined this ultra beastly car into some fruit looking geezer mobile. I mean sure it has awsome power, and everything else is nice. But its sure ugly and fat looking. ITs like meeting a nasty fat girl with a great personality or something. I mean what is this?!

You know how they say, in every family there is always an ugly child, yup thats the 2004 maxima.
    The Max is getting uglier and uglier with every iteration !! What a joke ! It's gonna be the laughing stock of the automotive world.
    Those who think the recent pics of the disguised Max are of the real thing! How stupid is that?

Just wait a few more days and you will eat crow!
    The official Nissan photos are of a disguised Max? I don't think so... And based on being able to compare the "spy photos" with the official Nissan photos, the "spy photos" are clearly not of disguised mules, but of the real thing.

No crow on my menu this week... I'm confident that the new Max is every bit as ugly as the photos suggest.
    pic, that of the rear. Others were taken when the Max was in testing and in disguise.

Come on, use your common sense. The design staff that put out the Altima/Z/G/Murano/FX. Consensus, but not unanimous, opinion is that every one of them was a design success. That staff wouldn't put out the Max seen in the spy pics.
    and the official picture to which I'm referring is the side view slightly from the rear. All of the recent photos that I've seen besides the Nissan photo carry EXACTLY THE SAME styling cues, completely undisguised, and can be matched up to the official Nissan photo. The only part that can't be confirmed is the front.

As for the other designs (of which the Altima, Murano and G35 sedan are highly overrated, IMO), nobody hits a home run every time. I doubt that any design team goes out with the intention of designing an ugly car, but sometimes it just happens. And it just has.

And you can keep the personal comments out of this discussion. Those of us who dislike what we've seen of the new Max aren't stupid because we don't agree with you.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    autonew.com/files/2003_detroit and there are a bunch of pictures of the new Maxima and other auto show cars.
    The disguises are off, and guess what? The recent spy shots from maxima.org WERE INDEED the REAL thing, despite someone's insistence to the contrary. Guess we weren't so stupid after all...

See, I had the common sense to be able to compare those photos to the one early official Nissan photo and determine that they were real. Not exactly rocket science.

Now I can say without reservation and with complete confidence... that is one sorry looking automobile.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    When I saw the final official pictures of the 2004 Maxima from www.autonews.com, I'm more convinced that the car is overstyled to the point of ugliness.

From some angles, the car looks like a Saturn ION "writ large." And the ION wasn't a beautiful car, either.
    "-- An international group of automotive
    journalists has selected the Mini Cooper, the Infiniti G35 and the Nissan 350Z
    as finalists for the 2003 North American Car of the Year while the Honda
    Element, HUMMER H2, Nissan Murano and Volvo XC90 are finalists for the 2003
    North American Truck of the Year.

3 out of 7 are Nissan. Only one domesticated, the Hummer. No Toyota, no Accord. Next year belongs to the Max and FX, looks like Toyota & Honda will have to breathe Nissan fumes for a while. Yeah!"

Hmmm... despite the bright signs early on, the North American International Auto Show has not been kind to Nissan. First they previewed the breathtakingly nasty looking 2004 Maxima. Then they previewed the 2004 Quest, the only vehicle that I've ever seen which has what looks like an oval wastepaper basket integrated into its dashboard. Not a pretty sight. I wonder if they'll have a special version with the interior done by OfficeMax...

Finally, as the quote above indicates, there was a preponderence of heavily promoted, highly anticipated Nissan/Infiniti vehicles among the finalists for Car and Truck of the Year. Nissan/Infiniti had 3 of the 7 finalists for these awards (350Z, G35 and Murano), but they were unable to score with any of them. The COTY went to the Mini Cooper and the TOTY went to the Volvo XC90. Guess Toyota and Honda will find the air to be free of Nissan fumes for the upcoming year. Yeah!

Sorry to be so smug... but due to the tone of the quoted post, I just couldn't resist.
    Like I suggested earlier, kill the Max ! Give the Altima a more upscale interior and make IT Nissan's flag ship. The last thing Nissan needs righ now is ANOTHER vehicle with the 3.5L engine ! Sheesh.....Hmmm, while they're at it, they might as well put that engine into the Sentra, too. Now, we're talking !!
    You forgot to mention Z won Automobile of the year from Automobile magazine and G won Motor Trend COTY.

The new Max will do just fine, but I dont like the new grille design.
  • hammer19hammer19 Member Posts: 31
    I've just been checking out the official Nissan/Infiniti Manufacturer's site and they have finally published the official '04 Maxima photo's and, oh boy, is the new car ugly!!! Go to www.nissannews.com to check it out. I don't know why they decided to produce this monstrosity, unless they've secretly hired Ford and GM's design staffs. The rear-end I can live with - it sort of looks a bit too stout, kind of like the fat butt on the new Accord, but not too plump to not look fast. However, swing around to the side and the front and you're looking at a real ugly bloated stumpy lump! What's with the fat C-pillar, and that horrible "nose" plate??? The car definitely has North American design written all over it. I am sooo glad that I didn't wait for the '04's to come out and bought my '03 instead. Not only is this new brute going to be built by the overpaid, underworked Auto Workers Union of America, which is a guarantee of poor quality, but I am willing to bet that it was designed by some suit who never drove anything meaner than a Ford Taurus which, by the way, is a much better looking car than this abhorration from Nissan. I guess when my '03 SE wears out, I'll have to try another manufacturer for my next ride. Sorry, Nissan, but you blew this one BIG TIME! (does anyone remember the AMC Matador? Well, it has company now!)
    The topic was North American Car and Truck of the Year and your post gloating over Nissan's apparent domination of them early on. If they won other awards, so what? That's not the point. The point is that your prediction of Nissan domination of these awards was wrong.

As was your statement regarding how stupid we were to think that the spy photos were the real thing vs. disguised test mules. In the case of the maxima.org photos, they were the real thing, so I guess we're not as stupid as you suggested. And the new Max is every bit the styling aberration that those photos suggested it would be.

As for Motor Trend's COTY, by winning it, the G joins the ranks of such hallowed predecessors as the Chevrolet Vega and the Renault Alliance. So savor the moment...
    3 cars out of 7 finalists, where no other maker has even 2 finalists. Get real, Nissan did great in 2002. If any maker can repeat that performance in 2003, it will take it and have a heck of a year.

Motor Trend used to have domestic and import COTY awards, and now combined the two. The domestic variety had many winners that turned out to be duds, like the X car. The import variety had many real winners. The combined award has more import than Detroit flavor, don't you think?
    Spin it any way you want... I still think it's hilarious that Nissan went home empty handed after all of your chest beating about the nominations.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    It's almost as bad as India Arie going home empty handed after all those Grammy nominations.

But I'm actually starting to like the look of the new Maxima from the front. Still don't like the rear, though.

As for it looking like an Ion - the Maxima's shape resembles the Altima, which came out before the Ion. Basically, it's a bigger Altima.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I like everything about the car except the new grill. That flat, smooth piece with the Nissan symbol jars so badly with the grill and the hood that is ruins the entire front end. The grill was my favorite part of the old Max, so it really stinks that they screwed it up so bad.
  • miamicrv1miamicrv1 Member Posts: 66
    I know I'm on the wrong side of this discussion... but... I think like the Murano, the new Max looks great inside and out...but then I think the new BMW 7 series is great design as well. I'm looking forward to getting back into a Nissan in a year or two and was concerned that the 04 Maxima was going to be built in TN. on the same line as the Altima. After seeing the fit and finish not just the quality of the materials on the Altima I'm concerned about what's going on at Smyrna and why one year later they're still putting out cars with such a questionable fit and finish.
    I'm with you. I thought the current Max grille looks great, and they turn it into the weak link of the new design.

Worrisome that your minivan outlooks your flagship sedan!
    The severe C-piller angle doesn't appear on the Altima and is what suggests the Ion to me.
  • txdrivertxdriver Member Posts: 5
    IMHO, the ’04 Maxima has a nice looking butt, but an ugly face. The previous (existing) Nissan was the opposite, nice face but ugly butt. If only they kept the 03 face, but grafted the 04 butt onto it…

The side kinda looks like a G35, but that is not a bad thing. However, I wish they could make the gap between the tires and the wheel arches smaller, like the BMW 540 with sports package. Low and aggressive but at the same times also classy.
  • rebel22rebel22 Member Posts: 11
    I think the look of the new Max will grow on me. At first look at the spy photos I thought that it was terrible. After seeing all the new shots the car isn't as ugly as I had first perceived. I will learn to love the new max, I still prefer the current version of the Max but the change will keep the Maxima up with it's ever changing competition. I think that once we're able to get behind the wheel of the new Max some of our feelings towards the car will change.
  • bobby1361bobby1361 Member Posts: 9
    I think Hammer 19 had the best post, I am also
    afraid of the quality of the New Max being built in Tenn. The UAW are underpaid, overworked and some of its members are barely hanging on to their jobs by a thread! With all of the new computer operated machines taking the place of the workers we are bound to have major flaws in the car! Nissan has made a mistake and this may cost them in the long haul just give it a few years and they may be back to the finacial situation they were in the early '90s. I don't think this car will do as well as they think. Lets all pray that I am wrong!! I love my Nissan cars!
  • bobby1361bobby1361 Member Posts: 9
    I just went to nissannews.com to see the real pictures of the 04 Max and boy oh boy this cars interior is ugly!!! When I was lookin for a car it was between the 03 Max, 03 I35 and the 03 G35. I thought about waiting for the 03 Max and I am so glad that I did not! Is it me or do the 3 gages in one along with the orange/amber color of the backlight look ugly? I didn't like those gages or the steering wheel in the G35(which is in the 04 Max)and the I35 was nothing more than a 3K-5K more expensive car! Get your 03 Max fast before they run out. Keep them running and take good care of them because they will be the last of it kind!!!!
This discussion has been closed.