Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima 2004 Redesign

Comments

• nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    Well, if this is true, then it has risen out of my price range, unless I get a hefty raise!

Still glad I have my '03 SE. Thanks for the info.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    That seems like a strange comparison? I don't consider the A4 to be in the same class as the Maxima. Look forward to reading it anyway.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    HIDs will be standard on the SL and optional on the SE. Knowing Nissan, the HIDs will prolly be part of some $6,000 package on the SE!
  • khoakhoa Member Posts: 64
    "The Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease" ... as consumers we have the right to whine to get better products. It's not like Nissan have never refined the look of the Maxima after their 1st r e-design.
  • monte4monte4 Member Posts: 101
    Judging by what Afty saw the car may have gotten a tad slower than the 02/03 with the 6.3 sec to 60 and 14.8 1/4 mile time.
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    Re, Re, and Re-confirmed on my feelings about my purchase of my '03 SE.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    I was thinking the same thing. I guess that extra 200 lbs is slowing it down. I would think that the SE with the 5-speed auto tranny has to be a touch faster due to better gearing (I'm hoping <7 secs). The SL, with the 4-speed auto that was carried over from the 03, has to be a lot slower.
    Well the 02/03 autos are already sub 7 sec cars to 60 with the 4spd auto, but your right with the extra weight and minimal gain in power if any the 04 might not be. I m guessing witht e 5spd auto it might be on par with the 02/03 autos with the added weight etc. at about 6.6-6.8 sec. Im guessing for the 4spd auto 7.0-7.2 purely a guess!

I agree Nissan Girl I love my 03 SE and I get many compliments on it!
    Afty what was the trap speed through the 1/4 mile for the 04 manual?
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I think the trap speed was 97 mph. I read the magazine at Barnes and Noble, so I don't have it with me to check for you.
    Thanks afty
    I went over to my brothers he has it and it trapped at 96.69 mph in the 1/4mile.
  • folomypath02folomypath02 Member Posts: 13
    I have been checking out this 2004 nissan maxima discussions and very impressed with the opinions and information people have shared so far on the 2004 max. I'm a rookie here but thought I would join in on the "fun" because I to will be in the market for a 2004 max when it arrives. I live in the Washington DC area and spoke to salesman at a nissan dealer I have bought my cars from in the past. My experience with this salesman has been solid and he has been true to his word (so far). He did inform me the salesmen of the dealership he works at will be going through training/information session for the 2004 max on Feb 19. I guess this is something the salesmen all go through before new models hit the showrooms. Does anyone know when in March (early or late) the new 2004 max will show up in showrooms? I have a lease on a 2000 pathfinder that will be up on April 1st, so I am trying figure out the timing here.
  • njmaximanjmaxima Member Posts: 1
    just got a 2003 maxima titianium edtion and titanium color what a grreat car cant get over the engine and the ride love the stereo too just an awsome car would highly recomend the car looks and rides great
  • achadhaachadha Member Posts: 106
    NJMAXIMA,

I got the same color I don't think I have ever seen a better color on a Max ever. My stereo is good but the subwoofer vibrates alot when I play rap music. Does yours do the same? There is info on the 04' Maxima in March's edition of Motor Trend. They give it good praise except of course for the front grille.
    Just checked out the 0-60 time on the 04 is exactly the same as the 03 at 6.3 :)
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Review of the '04 Max SE in Motor Trend is discouraging. From a sensible sports sedan, Max seems now to be appealing to the boy racer set, like Pontiac, with an overpowered engine with massive torque steer, overweight and over long, with styling eccentricities, unnecessarily huge 18" wheels, etc. I prefer the previous generations: understated, sober and sane, practical, balanced, functional, not flashy. Maybe the GLE will be more restrained.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    The 04 Max tested by Motor Trend is a fully loadead Max SE with 6 speed, DVD navi, sky roof, elite seating, 18 inch tires and all the creature comfort goodies that the 03 Max GLE offers. That is why the price tops $34k. I wonder what the base 04 Max SE or SL (equivalent to GLE?) cost.

IMHO, the 04 Max is a bit out-classed by the Audi V6. The Audi is a German car with a higher price tag, a better looking and more refined interior. The Max is not bad and received high marks for its honey sweet engine (which is basically the same engine as the 03 Max). The new Max's bold and highly non-traditional style got mixed reviews -- hate it or love it. Overall, MT gave the new Max a pretty good review and rating.

Whoever is the first person on this Board to test drive the 04 Max must promptly report his or her views afterwards or else be barred from this Board :-) Scout's honor!! I think the folks on the East coast will probably get first dips.
  • nisinfiguynisinfiguy Member Posts: 13
    Sorry, but I think some aspects of car making should be left to the Germans. I love japanese cars, but the Germans just have is down to a T. However, after the Germans and Mercedes-Benz, Japan and Nissan/Infiniti is right there. You'll NEVER catch me driving a 'Merican-made car! My parents are best friends with a big Nissan Dealer down here...so, she will call me when she gets a new Max in like she did for the 350Z
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    too. Thanks in advance.
  • etomorietomori Member Posts: 11
    Am really disappointed because the 2004 Maxima will not have rear drive. My mind is changed and will get an Infinity G-35 sedan for a rear drive real car from Japan.
    Car & Driver review just out is quite critical, especially of the torque steer with manual transmission. The car is obviously overpowered for a front driver.

The Edmunds review offers routine praise for the car but says little beyond bland generalities. A genuine road test with auto transmission is needed.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I agree with C&D - if you're totally redesigning the car, you have to address the torque steer. There's really no excuse for that when you're going up against Acura. I was willing to accept it in my '02 because I knew they couldn't redesign that model and I wanted the power, but not in the '04.

At around $25K, the old Max was a unique animal that gave you all of the utility of a family sedan and a fun driving experience. I don't know what this new model gives you. I'm sure it's a fine vehicle, but it just doesn't stand out from the crowd anymore.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    hey, as long as you don't have to buy a Pontiac.......I'll take the Maxima and its torque steer......
  • paulhuangpaulhuang Member Posts: 62
    I too believe that Maximas have too much power to be FWD any more. I remember a while back that Maximas were going upscale with AWD and possibly a V8. I can deal with an AWD Maxima though I would prefer a RWD one. All that power in a FWD car is simply wasted.

When I floor my 98 Maxima in first gear, I get torque steer and the tires dance all over the road; when I shift to second, the tires chirp. This is cool and fun because I look at my car as a $20,000 fun sedan. I can't say the same traits would be considered attractive on a $30K upscale vehicle.

Finally, anyone notice how BMW's seem so under-powered on paper (225HP) but are in reality equal performers to the 260HP FWD cars?
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    IMO, BMW's 3.0L engine is severely underrated. Every vehicle it is used in performs better than it should, based on paper specs. For example, look at Car and Driver's SUV test from a couple months ago. The X5 3.0 was able to accelerate just as fast as the MDX and Lincoln Navigator, which had much better power-to-weight ratios. In this month's C/D issue, the 530iA outaccelerates cars with much better power-to-weight ratios. You'll see the same thing in 330i and 330Ci comparison tests against higher-powered competition.

Clearly this engine is making more power than BMW claims.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I completely agree with your assertions. In addition, I'm starting to wonder WHY car mags feel the need to ROAD TEST as soon as they get their hands on a car. Maybe its just me, but I'm tired of every other paragraph reading "this will likely improve with production models" and "we hope that production solves this issue". I felt the entire Car and Driver article was riddled with statements like this. I apologize if this strays a bit off topic, but I'd much rather see a "preview" article listing changes and observations but no hard-core evaluations/numbers, THEN a few months later, an actual road test of a PRODUCTION vehicle. This is how it used to be. Now the mags, Car and Driver especially, will do a Road Test on a car that doesnt come out for 4 or so months, then not follow it up until a year after the actual release date in a comparison. Grr.

I'll wait to decide what I think of this new Max until I can drive one, and until we can get some indicitive test cases.

Thanks for reading my rant,
    ~alpha
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    It's as much demands from the fans as it is the mags that dictate tests of these early versions.

As for the Maxima test, while they did suggest that the touchy electronic throttle and ABS brake performance may improve in production, their biggest complaints, the pronounced torque steer and the too-firm ride, probably will not. So personally, I think it was a useful introduction to the new Maxima.
  • kyjd75kyjd75 Member Posts: 10
    We are a Nissan family. We've owned 3 Maximas, several pickups, and various other models, including z cars. We were all set to buy the 2004 model until we saw it. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but for us, it's one of the ugliest cars we've ever seen. AFter seeing the photographs, we went and purchased a new Mazda6s sedan. Now there's a nice car. . .Nissan has really blown it with the new Max, IMHO.
    About the torque steer- C&D bitched and moaned about it a bunch of times. Then they mentioned that it would likely be less of an issue with the automatic, which is about how say, at least 75% of Maximas will be equipped. I guess I just feel C&D's quality has been slipping lately. The writing is not as sharp as it used to be, and the comparisons are often haphazard.
    ~alpha
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    It would make more sense if C&D actually either tested the models that most people would be purchasing or tested a variety of versions of that model (i.e. auto and manual, SE and SL etc.), instead of making generalities that lowers their credibility with people who do not track test their cars everyday. Motor Trend may not be a perfect mag, but at least they are a little more in tune with what matters most to most people.
  • logitech1logitech1 Member Posts: 32
    I got a quote from a local dealer in Toronto:
    2003 GXE: $37500 all inclusive (taxes,PDI etc...)
    and 36 months @ 1.8%
    What do you guys get?
    So many strange features on the new Maxima. A glass roof standard? Who needs it? Bucket seats in the back? Who needs it? Why longer? Why wider? Just to distinguish it from the Altima? Not a good reason. A 5-speed auto transmission in the SE, but a 4-speed in the GLE? Why is that? Doesn't make sense (except for cost-cutting; they made that mistake with the rear suspension on the last generation, and they paid a big price for it.)
    Nissan's trying to introduce too many new models too fast and a lot of them are not too well thought out. Slow down, think things out. Keep things balanced. Don't just drop ever-more-powerful engines into cars that then suffer torque steer. Camrys and Accords aren't flashy, but they're balanced, integrated, harmonious. Everything works together and contributes to a unified whole. Too much boy racer appeal in the new Maximas. Who do they want to sell these things to, teenagers?
    bartalk2, I would like to respond to you following quote:

""So many strange features on the new Maxima. A glass roof standard? Who needs it? Bucket seats in the back? Who needs it? Why longer? Why wider? Just to distinguish it from the Altima? Not a good reason. A 5-speed auto transmission in the SE, but a 4-speed in the GLE? Why is that?""

A glass roof standard? Why not have the opportunity to bring some extra light into the interior. If you don't like it just close the cover.

Bucket seats in the back? It is an option, and is a feature that hasn't been offered in any other "luxury" sedan, and with Americans desire for excess and consumption, Nissan is just offering an option to make your car unique. Unless the elite package it is in is unreasonably priced or you have kids needing car seats, it seems like a cool option.

Nissan needs to make the Maxima a little bigger/wider and offer unique features to differentiate it from the Altima. I think the Max is taking the place of the soon to be cancelled I35. The maxima has a purpose because the G35 is RWD and if they didn't do something dramatic with the Max, it would be redundant because of the Altima. Hopefully this will give Nissan the opportunity to improve the NVH and interior of the Altima.

But I do agree that it makes no sense that the SE gets a 5 speed auto, and the SL only has the 4 speed auto. Just because the SL is the luxury oriented model, doesn't mean those people don't want the performance of an SE.
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    C&D is the most conservative of major auto mags, so of course they won't like much of what Nissan's doing. If they do like, it means Nissan might be failing at what they're trying to accomplish.

In a sports sedan comparo, R&T placed G35 1st, C&D fourth, behind the TLs and IS300. Come on, when you're talking sports in sports sedans, there are only 2 real contenders: G & 3! C&D thought the FX45 design weird, every other mag thought it was fabulous. Nissan fans shouldnt care what C&D thinks!

Thanks largely to Toyota to Honda, the Japanese have the reputation of producing visually and dynamically boring cars. Many of us are glad Nissan strikes out in its direction and is not following in Toyonda's footsteps. Interesting to see the smaller Japanese companies produce some the most exciting cars around: 6, WRX and especially the incredible Lancer Evo, which puts most of the expensive prestigious sports cars to shame!
    "C&D is the most conservative of major auto mags, so of course they won't like much of what Nissan's doing. If they do like, it means Nissan might be failing at what they're trying to accomplish."

That's a total rationalization just because you don't like their results. C&D liked almost everything about the new Maxima, even the styling (well, even they aren't right about everything... ;^) ). Their only big complaint is the fact that Nissan has been unable to engineer a FWD suspension that can handle a powerful engine without lots of torque steer. Audi and Acura have done it, why can't Nissan? And they have expectations that at a fairly premium price point, such as the Maxima's, management of torque steer should have been a priority, but Nissan neglected it. Every article that I've read about the Altima has criticized it for its torque steer, so if it is indeed there in the Maxima, these other mags should make the same criticism. And rightfully so... a technology driven company like Nissan should be able to keep up with the competition in such a fundamental quality.

Read the summary paragraph to find out their overall comments about the Maxima.

"Thus with more power, more style, more colors and more variation, Nissan clearly hopes the Maxima will not only pick up where its worthy predecessor left off but also bring more believers into the fold. Without the torque steer, it would have been a pushover."

Aside from the very valid torque steer criticism, I challenge you to find anywhere in that review where they've been unfair to the Maxima.

"Come on, when you're talking sports in sports sedans, there are only 2 real contenders: G & 3!"

And they find the 3 every single time, so they realize that... maybe they just think that the G isn't the big deal that other mags do. To me, it's refreshing to see that some magazines aren't having a Pavlovian response to everything Nissan introduces lately. It's good that we can get some incisive views of the cars, rather than what sounds like the gushing tributes of breathless fanboys from some of the other magazines.

"Thanks largely to Toyota to Honda, the Japanese have the reputation of producing visually and dynamically boring cars."

Both companies have dominated the sales charts in the highest volume categories for years (mid-sized and compact cars) with the Camry, Accord, Civic and Corolla. They've found the formula for success, and they'd be fools to abandon it to match a handful of "boutique" cars from their less successful competitors. On the other hand, Nissan and Mazda have shown that they've been unable to compete head-to-head with these market leading cars for years. The irony is, until the 2002 Altima, Nissan offered a product to compete with the Camry and Accord that is among the most visually and dynamically boring cars ever to come out of Japan. Mazda did the same with the 626, a car that became so anonymous that many people were under the impression that it was no longer made for years while it was still available. So both companies have absolutely nothing to lose by being more daring. They have to do something to make people notice their cars, and conservative was a dismal failure for them. I can just about guarantee you that if Nissan or Mazda were as successful as Toyota and Honda in these mainstream categories, they wouldn't be anywhere near as daring with their designs as they are now.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    I read in a mag the following: Max is great for its engine, Accord is exellent for its chassis, Mazada6 is praised for its handling, and Camry is exulted for its reliability. The author wishes that the 04 Max will combine the good features of the other cars that it doesn't have. Is that a fair comment about the Max?
    Extremely good post! (stuff like that is what makes these boards enjoyable). Fact backed by proof.
    ~alpha
    I didn't accuse C&D of bias or anything else. I'm just pointing out that it seems to be the most conservative of the major mags, so it's all right if they criticize the new Nissan/Infiniti exciting products. Heck, if Nissan wants a FWD upscale sedan with all the refinement of a Toyota, Maxima might end up being an Avalon. Thank God, it didn't end up that way! Nissan is fully capable of building an Avalon, it just doesn't want to!

However Nissan arrives at this point, it's about time a Japanese maker produce a Z (BTW, it marginally bests the M3 at the Willow Springs track, in the latest R&T) and a FX (which compares favorably with X5 and Cayenne). Can't let the German makers have all the style and performance, which apparently Toyota and Honda were either willing to do or unable to do anything about!
    "Can't let the German makers have all the style and performance, which apparently Toyota and Honda were either willing to do or unable to do anything about!"

As was Nissan, until it became apparent that they couldn't compete except by becoming more extreme, both styling and performance-wise. Don't give them more credit than is due... if conservative cars from Japan is the big flipping deal that you say it is, don't skirt the fact that Nissan and Mazda certainly had a hand in establishing that trend. Those two companies were cranking out many sedans that were as bland and undistinguished as anything Toyota and Honda brought out... probably even more so. But now that they've decided to go all stylish with their sedans (for a WHOLE 2 model years so far in Nissan's case), suddenly all of their sins of the past are forgiven, and they're like the saviors of the automotive world. Well, some of us don't forget cars like the late '90s Altima and 626 and the last 3 gens of Sentras quite so easily. Don't try to shovel all the blame on Honda and Toyota when Nissan and Mazda were right on the same track to shape that market. Especially since their newfound enlightenment is more an attempt to salvage their floundering US market than it is to be true innovators.

BTW, did you even READ the C&D article on the Maxima? If you did, you'd realize how completely inappropriate your Avalon comments are. Expecting that Nissan do the job they should have done in the first place with the torque steer in their "prestige" sedan is nothing like asking them to make another Avalon.

"On the other hand, the 3.5SE demonstrated carefully controlled ride motions and was able to to attach Mulholland Drive's twisty route through the Santa Monica mountains with obvious relish."

Does that description of a mountain road carver sound like they're describing an Avalon?

So my point still remains that they didn't unfairly criticize the new Maxima. So whether or not it's alright with you, you're being unfair to them by implying that they somehow trashed the Maxima. Or is excessive torque steer something that Maxima customers should be expected to put up with, when the competition has managed to turn it into a non-issue?
    Good points above. You read that the I35 is going to be cancelled? I guess with the G35 they don't need it now, although it's a very different car. And Maxima now becomes the upscale car that the I35 was (or tried to be).
    the announcement was apparently made at the NAIAS in January. People on the I35 discussion board are wondering if there is going to be a new version based on the new Max or the M45 (an M35 version ?). It makes sense to cancel it since the 04 Max is a newer design with more power, room, and features for a similar price.
    I35 will be dropped, because no Infiniti will be a rebadged Nissan (excepting coming full size SUV), unlike a number of Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura models.

"Camrys and Accords aren't flashy, but they're balanced, integrated, harmonious. Everything works together and contributes to a unified whole. Too much boy racer appeal in the new Maximas..."

Yuck! Traditionally Maxima has always been much more of a driver's car than Accord and Camry, and should remain that way. No Nissan fan wants to see it move toward Accord/Camry side of things. Thank you very much!

In case you don't know, the average age of an Accord owner is a 10 full years above that of a Passat owner, either 59/49 or 49/39, I don't remember. I bet the Altima owner average age is much closer to Passat than Accord. Without a doubt the Camry owner age is above Accord. So why should Nissan want the Maxima to be an old people's car like Accord/Camry?
    "Yuck! Traditionally Maxima has always been much more of a driver's car than Accord and Camry, and should remain that way. No Nissan fan wants to see it move toward Accord/Camry side of things. Thank you very much!"

Well, if you want a driver's car, you'd best hope that Nissan does a better job with the Maxima than it did with the Altima, given their shared platform. The 3.5SE, which is the high performance sporty version of the Altima, got bottom rated for steering, handling AND ride in the recent Road and Track comparison. Guess which "old people's car" was second in those "driver's car" categories right after the much-heralded Mazda 6? That would be the Accord, which is also the car that won the comparison.

Guess there's more to being a driver's car than a flashy exterior and marketing hype, at least in R&T's opinion.

And remember, you said you liked Road and Track before, so don't go saying that R&T has it in for the Altima to explain this one.
    If you can find a quote where I specifically said I like R&T, please send it!

Regardless of where R&T ranked the Accord, it's still an old people's car, as shown by irrefutable demographics! You think the R&T ranking will bring the average age down?
    Just got back from the Baltimore auto show. They had that same 04 Copper colored Maxima SE that they have pics of all over the net. They would not let us sit inside the car though. The front grille is even more hideous looking in person. The skyview I found out is just a sky light cannot be opened have to get the optional sunroof to open. The Nissan person told us the SE starts at 28k. The one that was at the show had all options like NAV,leather,bucket seating in rear with rear heated seats with a price tag of 34k. If I remember the current base 03 SE starts at 25,649 if not mistaken. Seems like Nissan is keeping this car secret not sure why. The car they had there was handmade they told us, that was why we could not get into it. Salesperson said the car will be arriving around late March to early April. I was not too impressed with it myself. What I did like was the interior finish very nice gauges for the odometer and nice stereo layout.
    "Regardless of where R&T ranked the Accord, it's still an old people's car, as shown by irrefutable demographics! You think the R&T ranking will bring the average age down?"

Oh, so in other words, when it comes to a driver's car, the demographics and marketing perception matter more to you than the actual performance. I'll have to remember that the next time you're crowing about how Nissans are such "driver's cars". R&T clearly shows that as a "real" sports sedan, the Altima is more hype than substance.
    The car is a combination of performance, design and a whole bunch of things, and there's no getting around that now Accord & Camry primarily appeal to older people now. In Britain, Hondas are known as pensioners' cars (as anyone who reads British auto mags knows), and it's not far from that here.

You selectively chose the R&T ranking to say the Altima is hype rather than substance. What about the NY Times article a few months ago that compared the Camry to wet noodles, and was impressed with the Altima's performance? How about the edmunds review of the Accord when it came out that said it didn't match the performance of the 6 or Altima? And I quote edmunds:

"Actually, the Accord keeps pace with the segment's fastest sedans in terms of straight-line acceleration, but when it comes to outright handling prowess, the Passat, Altima and new Mazda 6 have it beat..."

There are plenty of other reviews that put the Altima's performance at or above the Accord.
    How many exciting models has Nissan introduced over the last year? At least four: Z, G35 sedan & coupe, FX.

How many exciting models have Honda and Toyota combined introduced over the last year? That's right, zip! Accord/RX/GX, while very competent, can never be considered exciting!

And Honda/Toyota fans start preaching as though the Honda/Toyota way is the only way to build cars!
  • sdiorisdiori Member Posts: 20
    I was just browsing the coversations, not really paying one more mind than any others, but this one is striking. I read posts #343-345 and have arrived at my own conclusions.

First, while I do agree that Toyota and Honda have made exceptionally engineered yet boring cars, I feel this is only because of our market. If you venture overseas, maybe to a European or Asian country, you'll notice that they seem to get all the "juiced" up models--the performance models. And while we Americans indulge in excess and consumption, the Europeans love luxury even more than we do. And as such, thery require higher quality materials--thus, VW, BMW, MB.

I for one applaud Nissan for being able to (at the risk of critism) stepping out of the "paradigm" to create bold new cars that not only serve as functional, but are highly fashionable. While I'm no complete fan of the Maxima redesign, I understand the rationale behind it.

Traditional Japanese automakers seem to short us on "the goodstuff" (Euro-R Accord anyone?) and when we finally get a piece of "the goodstuff", its commonly in response to increased competition and/or consumer demand. Maybe this Nissan will force your favorite automaker to flex their "automotive prowess".

Happy Driving!!
This discussion has been closed.