Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima 2004 Redesign

Comments

• obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    So, I went to www.nissandriven.com today and was snooping around. This car is really growing on me! Not to say I will be trading my 02 Maxima SE anytime soon, but I might just be interested in this car in a couple more years. I definately want to see it in person as I have yet to get around to that.

With gas prices these days, V6's and V8's are gonna take a beating on the market. How bad do you all think the price gouging will be on this new Max?

Obi
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    But I would want the basic SE with just the Sunroof. I do wish Xenons were still standard, and they should do away with the skyview anyway.
  • monte4monte4 Member Posts: 101
    I agree the 04 SE gets terribly expensive for a Maxima once you start adding stuff to make it comparably to an 03 SE, I think the base 03 SE vs the base 04 SE the 03 is better equipped. For 27k you dont get Xenons,Sunroof or a spoiler, can you believe a spoiler is optional on the SE. It has been standard since 85 when the SE arrived!
    Because the new spoiler is UGLY!!!! I don't like spoilers anyway.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    Today I received in the mail a Nissan advertising package consisting of four 5x8 photos of the New Max. After viewing the photos, I believe Nissan must have read the posts on this Board because none of the photos show the less appealing side of the New Max. There were no clear shots of the much-complained about front face plate, the vertigial looking spoiler (the lip), the squashed angle view of the rear quarters ... In fact, I think the pictures make the New Max. look pretty good, although I definitely want to see it in person when it arrives in the showroom. In particular, I want to see the sky-view window (3 of the 4 photos show this unique feature), the elite package with the 2 plus 2 seating and the DVD nav.

If only Nissan can also address our grumbles about the easily-stolen HID lights, the torque steer that is chastised by many auto mag reviewers (even though I never experienced it because I own a GLE and I don't drive agreesively), the lack of power lumber support and telescoping column and electronic compass, the inaccurate trip computer, and the small relative decline in reliability and built quality (a few folks have complained about the coils and squeaks and rattles), I may want to trade in my 97 Max for the New Max, even though I also own a 2003 GLE and the New Max's price is relatively high.
  • 1firefly21firefly2 Member Posts: 4
    I saw the 04 Maximas at a recent show. There are no "bad sides." Even the grill looks classy. I haven't seen the spoiler, but I don't think it needs one. Have faith. It is a beautifully designed car, just like the Altima.
  • 1firefly21firefly2 Member Posts: 4
    Check the Nissan site for dealer inventory in your area. Almost everyone in Ohio got a couple of 04 Maximas today. Hurray!
    I went to Benson Nissan last night to see the new Maxima. As someone stated, the Best selling Maxima will be the SL model. I didn't see the SE model.

I was impressed!!! It looked so much better in person. It looks like a bigger Altima!! They had two on display, one was inside, the other was outside. It was white, with blond leather. It also had the elite pkg. The styling is very expressive, and the nice. The rear end is better looking than the Altima, and the front is okay, but the grille is ugly! I actually liked the interior of the Maxima. The car seemed roomy, and the leather seats looked of high quality. Yes, the plastics are cheap looking, but they do look a whole lot better than the Altima. I really wish I could afford one.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I saw the new Maxima today in person at a dealer - in Ohio. They had 3 -- 2 SLs and 1 SE. A manual SE is expected by week's end. The auto does have auto stick.

The two I saw at the dealer were Bronze and liquid silver. Both colors were nice.

I also saw the car at the Detroit autoshow.

It is more impressive in person. It seems very large. The styling, when viewed outdoors, in the real world, and not in car show environ, makes it clear that this car has a presence. It is massive! it seems much larger than the old Max. The wheel well arches are like 2 inches as opposed to half an inch. Thick butresses on the C pillars. It seems like 110% actual size.

It sort of reminds me of a Cadilac CTS in that it is angular and large. It seems bigger than my father's Lincoln LS

I am 6 foot 4 and the interior was very spacious for me. No steering wheel touching my leg. No cramped console or door jam pressing me. Very comfy. The wheel is heated and has a joy stick that allows it to move in and out and up and down. The rear seats are heated. Dual zone climate. Nice Navi system. Electric sunshade for rear seats.

265 hp v6 with 260 foot pounds of torque. Finally got rid of rear beam suspension for fully independent rear. VDC for auto cars. LSD is available for stick SE to cut back on torque steer. 18" wheels.

The rear seat was a little bit low in the head room. All and all - very impressive. It makes the old car seem dated. A classic - but dated.

When I first saw the photos of the car on line, I was disapointed. If you felt the same, take heart - I found it to be a very attractive car in the flesh. You need to get to a Nissan dealer or an auto show and check one out.
    Ok, I am gonna give the pros and cons and then sum it up at the end. Here goes!

Pros:
    1) Bigger and roomier
    2) 18 inch wheels
    3) Quad exhaust is NICE!
    4) Autostick (BUT, you can't start in 1st gear like the Acura TL-S and CL-S and it won't let you redline it if you are upshifting or downshifting)!

Cons:
    1) BOOOORING styling! Inside and out. There is just not a lot going on inside. Plus, the orange instruments and lighting are "Blah". I never was a fan of it in the new Altima either. The outside is boring as well. It is nice, but nothing grabs me and says, "I MUST OWN THIS CAR!" Also, without a real spoiler, this car has a HUUUUUGE butt!
    2) Cheap, cheap, cheap dash materials. This thing was put together with cheap parts IMO. The plastic reminds me of the interior of the Altima and G35. I did not like the interior of those cars either. Definately not as nice as my 02 SE. Not by a long shot.
    3) Xenons not standard on a $29K sticker?? HA! No thanks!

Thats about it for now. I didn't get to drive it because it had just come in. All the salepeople were "looky loos" just like me. I had to explain how the foglights worked for everyone! Good times!

So, in close, would I buy this car? The answer is "No" and here is why:
    I am sure this car will outhandle and outdrive my current Maxima. There is no doubt about that. But I think they have geared it towards a much older audience. They have priced it towards an older audience as well. If they were looking to compete with the TL-S and Audi A6, they have sure priced it that way. Too bad it is not nearly as nice as either one of those cars on the inside. The outside will hold up. It is boring just like the TL-S. Unfortunately folks, it looks like they have left the Altima to us previous generation Maxima owners. That is all fine and good if they get the Altima interior looking better. For me? My next car will still be the Mazda RX-8 at this point in time. That is unless somethings else comes along that I want instead.

Obi
    2002 Maxima SE
    Sterling Mist/Frost Cloth
  • victord1victord1 Member Posts: 94
    well, at least one them. For those who live in Fairfax, VA, Brown's Nissan on Rt50 just got a delivery of ONE '04 maxima yesterday (03/12).

I happened to stopped by the dealer yesterday and saw the car there. It's an automatic SE in Spirited Bronze w/black fabric interior. People were lining up to test drive it. I was among the first to test drive it.

My impresson:
      1. the exterior was kinda refreshing, front to back.
      2. that "nasty" front grill logo doesn't look all that bad. It kinda blend in with the color on this particular car. So choose your color wisely.
      3.the interior layout, IMO, is definitely not as clean and nice as the '03.
      4.the engine is a notch above that of the '03 in term of smoothness and quiet. The car pulled like a train. And the transmission (5spd auto) is also smoother.
      5.I used the autostick(?) function also, and found it to be quite good. It can start in 1st, and will stay there until you upshift.

Now, the bad part: they wanted MSRP PLUS $1995 markup for the car. So I was like are you smoking crack?!?!?!?!?!?
  • prayerforprayerfor Member Posts: 161
    I too saw several new Maximas at my local dealer. Unlike others, I thought they looked exactly like the pictures, except perhaps even larger than expected. I really don't like the front end, although the "tooth" grille is only part of the problem. I find the headlights pretty blah, and the lower fascia treatment with the wraparound cornering lights is downright ugly, IMHO. In profile and from the the rear, I see Lincoln Town Car; certainly less offensive than the front end, but not good for a car with sporting pretensions. I only looked in the windows, but the pod-style gauge cluster looked cool, and I like the new Nissan/Infiniti steering wheel -- small diameter and thick.

I think you're going to be seeing very few Maximas loaded up all the way to Journey or Elite package levels. Of the four on the lot that I saw, only one was over $30K. Most were cloth with sunroof and audio; one had just audio and the skyview roof.
    I agree with you on the Lincoln town car deal! I also agree it looks just like the photos and I just dont care for it!
  • drakutismaxdrakutismax Member Posts: 21
    a new Maxima at Passport Nissan in Marlowe Heights MD tonight and I'm still out on a verdict. They had two black SL's with the same options. From the front the car favors a CTS, just a little less boxy in the front. The grill looked fine with the black and blended very well.

The interior had very nice leather, but the center console looked like it was just slapped on. It's not inviting you to touch any of the buttons for climate control which seemed too small, especially the diagrams on the buttons.

the 5th gen has the console that comes down and out to you, why not the 6th?

The price for these after they marked up the hell out of it was 34k for one and 32k for the other. the 32k had just three options on it: Sunroof, and two others that I can't recall. Both had the sunroof though.

I can't stand Passport. They don't even say hello when they see you. No customer engagement at all.
    I gonna contact my dealer to set-up a test drive soon.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I like the Maxima 04 and 03 for that matter. Loved them, honestly since the late 80s.

But MSRP plus? I am sure there are some out there that would go for it but it will not last. I just do not see this car having the "wowee-gotta-have-it" factor for that to last that long.

A Z -- it might last 6 months. A Honda Ody - maybe a while.

But there are just too many Max's out there - new and used - for MSRP plus or even MSRP to last very long.

I see the max as a sensible purchase. A compromise purchase. Analytical. Not the sort of thing that hits the reptillian remnant of the human brain that is SO necessary to irrational impulse purchasing.

A car for someone who wants something bigger and nicer and just plain different than the perfectly fine Camrys and Accords driven by the folks who do not read car mags. But not an all out insane passionate purchase like a Mitsu Evo or a Porsche.

Just a nice sensible car for someone who wants more than enough! But give it to me at a good price or I'll be walking my sensible shoes somewhere else.
  • jimkujimku Member Posts: 3
    I received quote from two dealers:
    1)"At this point, there is minimal to no discount on the 2004's but it is my job to sell cars and I will be happy to work out a special deal for you."
    2)"I can sell an 04 Maxima for 4% over invoice. I think this is a very competitve price. We are the largest Nissan dealer in 13 states and will not lose a deal on price."
    I'll be there (#2) this Sat for a test drive.
    Nowak, nicely put. Love your analysis, which by way, probably represents the mental gymnastics of many Max buyers, someone who prefers something a bit more than an average Camry or Accord, but not crazy enough to splurge on the extravagant unnecessaries.

Jimku, 4% over invoice over for a spanking new 04 Max is not bad, considering you will be driving an "attention getter" that no one in the neighbor has. This plays into Nowak's philosophy (may be mine as well) that a Max owner does not mind spending a bit more, but not wastefully more.
    Carmax in Greenville, SC is already knocking $1000 off MSRP. You can get a deal on one! Do NOT PAY MSRP!!!
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Test drove an 04 SL with the Driver preferred package yesterday afternoon. The interior feels about the same as the prior generation, maybe a touch larger but the exterior feels almost Avalon or Lesabre size.

The test drive still reminds me of the Maxima in handling and acceleration feel but on a much bigger feeling platform. Not bad, just didn't inspire any "passion for driving" in me like the previous generations did. It really felt just like a bigger Maxima.

After driving Maxima's for the last 8 1/2 years (95 GLE & 00 SE) I see where Nissan's going with their product cycle.

The Altima is clearly targeting the "sport driver" in the product line now (3.5 SE) and the Maxima has really gone significantly more up market than before (both in price and size).

The mass of buttons on the dash didn't appeal to me at first glance but after I got comfortable using them, the functionality is fine. Still not sure about the look of the car overall. If you compare it to the Avalon, it wins hands down. I just can't see myself driving one of these new 04's.

Maybe I'll feel different after I drive an 04 SE?
  • jhunterbobjhunterbob Member Posts: 17
    I've gone to the nissan motors web site and searched my area dealer inventories.

I am seeing that SE's are probably 3 or 4 to 1 over SL's in terms of units in inventory.

I guess the SE is expected to be the big seller. I am actually looking for a less expensive Lexus GS 300 type vehicle and am hoping the 04 SL will fir that bill. Anyone out there that has seen one have any ideas as to how the 04 will compare to a GS 300?
  • randomguy11111randomguy11111 Member Posts: 39
    My thoughts...

Love the external styling...
    Internal styling nice...
    Cheap interior...

Whereas last year was wheel-a-deal for outgoing car since it was competing with the New Altima, this year's car can produce real sticker shock when you realize you are paying MSRP and not invoice....

My advice, test drive the I35 and call every dealer in your area and demand a great deal. Because of the G35, the I35 is selling poorly and they are offering great deals.

You can do close to the same for a very similar car, with better nameplate/service, lots of standard features. The I35 is very nice. In past, people said go for the Maxima as it was close and cheaper. Now, I say the reverse. Go for the luxury car that they are discounting and demand eihter a cut rate price or a super financing deal.
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    Fitzmall.com has one in stock selling at $ 1500 off sticker!
  • victord1victord1 Member Posts: 94
    there's also one SL model at Carmax in Whitemarsh, MD. Liquid silver with black interior and NAV system, and it's priced at $30,258. According to the '04 brochure, any max with NAV is loaded to the teeth, except for the "traditional" sunroof and TCS(which includes full-size spare).

Still a bit high, but it's about $2,200 off sticker, which is not bad considering it just came out a few days ago.

I might stop by this weekend to see it, if it'll still be there.
  • achadhaachadha Member Posts: 106
    Went to the rosenthal nissan dealership in Tysons, VA they had 5 04's there none of which were 6 speed so I did not bother test driving them. The car actually does look better in person but I still like my 03 much better especially the interior. I can't believe they got rid of the spoiler on it as well. One thing I noticed was this new LCD screen which is very cheap looking. Very disappointed going to keep my 03 for a long while...
  • srocsroc Member Posts: 15
    Test drove a 2004 maxima SE. After test driving extensively, here are my thoughts:

Looks and feel:

The car certainly looks great in person. The back seat has limo-like space. The dash and steering wheel have a great look and feel. Without navigation, LCD screen looks a little downmarket.

The driving

1. There are gobs of power available, even with the 5-speed auto I drove
    2. Manumatic worked well as I down-shifted while passing on the highway.
    3. Car is prone to wheel spin under hard acceleration from standstill - so VDC would be advisable (unfortunately available only with Driver preferred package in my area, which pushes cost up to 32,000)
    4. Not much torque steer, in fact none at all that bothered me.
    5. Unfortunately, the car still handles like the big sedan it is. Going through corners, there is a lot of body roll and the feeling of total control is absent.

On point 5, I may be biased by the BMW 3-series and Mazda6 I test drove right before the Maxima (thats right - the V6 Mazda6 has an amazing level of conrol along with some serious scoot!)
    I agree with some of the guys it just feels much bigger than the 03 behind the wheel. I test drove it and brought it to my neighbor hood and my neighbor said you traded in your new car on that, I said no he said man that car is Ugly I laughed the salesman even laughed. The LCD is definately out of place and look like a late 70's early 80's video game.
  • dralekdralek Member Posts: 4
    Just test-drove a Black-on-black SE 6-speed with a sunroof at my local St. Louis dealer. Much different than I was anticipating...
    I first checked out the 04 Max at the Auto show, and was very disillusioned with the interior and the overall look. I'm not sure what they did to it since then, but when I got into a, SL in the showroom today, I thought it was a totally different car. The interior materials still have a sort of plasticky feel, but much more sturdy and refined than I remember. The inside dimensions look and feel as they would accommodate a giant - IT'S HUGE!!! Especially the back seat. The power tilt/telescoping steering wheel with auto-exit feature is brilliant.
    Anyway, then I tore myself away from the luxury and got into a base SE with a 6-speed. I pulled out of the dealership, and before I could fully realize it, I was doing 85 mph on a 40 mph speed limit road. The dealer goes: "It's our car, bur you're still paying your own speeding tickets..."
    I have had my 00 Solara V-6 with the 5-speed manual for almost 3 years now, and I truly love it. I've always thought of it as a pretty fast car (can do 0-60 in ~ 7 sec). Still, this 04 Max took my breath away. For the luxurious feel and the soft/quiet ride, it sure packs a lot of punch. I didn't experience any torque steer or wheel-spinning they write about in the reviews. The ride feels solid. There was a hint of a body roll while doing 75 mph on a highway exit ramp, but I think that is more than acceptable. My favorite feature, though, was the shifter: short, presice, smooth - I simply loved it.
    As far as the exterior styling, I think it'll tale a little getting used to, bur overall I kinda like it. The only part that bothers me is that little plastic peace between the rear fender and the tail light. I'm not sure why it's there, and can envision it popping out after a couple of years. Otherwise, the car looks pretty solid with 18-inchers and all...
    I definitely put it on my top 2 choices list. The only thing left to do is to test drive a Volvo S60R 300 HP 6-speed next month, and if that ride does not convince me to dish out 10K extra for the sweed, I'm definitely getting the Max!
    Good hunting, everyone.
  • giant56giant56 Member Posts: 9
    Went to local Nissan dealer in Hampton, Va this morning and spotted a 6spd SE. Still do not like the grill but the rest of the exterior is pretty nice. My wife likes it. Does anyone know if Nissan will offer incentives for remaining 03 Maximas?
  • dralekdralek Member Posts: 4
    According to Edmunds and KBB, Nissan offers $1000 cash, and 2.9% financing on remaining 03 Max's trough the end of this month.
  • jhunterbobjhunterbob Member Posts: 17
    I took my wife to look at the 2004. She loves it!!! Thought it was cool looking (She's 38).

She loved the front badge and the headlights. Also loved the skyview.

This car is much better looking in person. I particularly like the spirited bronze color, but she seems to want a black with the frost leather.

The car is really big inside and has enough room for three childseats across the back. the bench seat in the back is fairly flat so that will help with keeping them in. you do not have a big hump in the middle.

We'll probably wait until the summer to buy as I'm sure they will be willing to deal by then
    That color is up there with Gray Lustre IMO. I wish they had kept that color!!
  • achadhaachadha Member Posts: 106
    Just test drove a 04 Maxima SE with the Bose and sunroof...I have to say the car looks 100X's better in person then pics. Front grill doesn't look that bad at all. Overall I think the car really stands out. The salesguy took me to the gas stattion with him and everyone was staring at it. The trunk is huge almost twice as big as the current generatioon. The handling and rear suspension have definitely improved. The interior is pretty nice it had a 5 inch LCD screen similar to the Nissan Murano. The car overall felt huge. Pickup was excellent and the tiptronic was nice. This car did not feel like your normal Maxima though something was wrong with it. Maybe I am used to the 6speed on my 03. It feels more like an Acura TL type S than it does a Maxima. Not great enough for me to trade in my 03 which I lov to death....Thanks
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Check Consumerguide.com
  • chooseychoosey Member Posts: 6
    The 2004 Maxima SE is a sweet drive, so much so that I bought one with automatic just a few days ago. I've never driven former Maxima's so I can't contribute to that thread. I am a Nissan man thanks to amazingly reliable 1993 Altima (which I traded in). I love the new styling and the interior. Library quiet. I get little lean in corners and am not bothered by torque steer. (I test drove a Sentra SE-R Spec V, not THAT'S torque steer.) Expect the SL to lean more in corners because of the softer sprints and such. The ride is nicely damped yet firm, a successful blend, I think. The only downside is the multi-buttoned heating, air conditioning and I-don't know-what-else-module with LCD screen. It will take some time to get used to it.

I expect that this Maxima edition will be a winner despite the higher price.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    I recently test drove a new 04 Maxima and I think the exterior of the car is really well done (except the grill). The interior of the car is quite a different story…it’s down right cheep.

If one compares the interiors of the new Accord and the new Maxima, the Accord wins by a long shot. By the way the Honda is about 6 or 7 k less!
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    Unless I missed any posts, I think you are the first member of town hall to purchase the 04 Maxima. I think that most people are down on this version mostly because of the increased price. I love the new look, especially exterior, and wish I could have the opportunity to buy it. What did you pay, and how do you like the quality of the interior, people seem to think it is cheaper than the previous generations.
  • maxappealmaxappeal Member Posts: 17
    In referrence to discounts offered on 03's... I live in the L.A. area and Internet Managers are offering $1500 below invoice. If I haggle a little, I'm sure that I could knock of an extra 300-400.
  • ldldl5ldldl5 Member Posts: 4
    3.5 SL, Liquid Silver, Frost Leather!
    I upgraded from a 1999 Altima. I have the moon roof, but wished I had the driver preferred package (memory seats, etc.) Out of four cars on the lot, this one was the only one without the bucket seats in the back. So far, I have no complaints. It handles well and is very roomy. I also like the idea of practically being the only one on the road with one!
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    We look forward to your reports. Many owners of new Nissan/Infiniti (Z, G, FX, Murano) products say their cars draw a lot of attention, and it can get a bit dangerous on the road. Do you find that with the Max?
    Congrats on your new purchases. You're almost like celebs on this Board, but hopefully will not be called guinea-pigs. Just kidding :-)

We all look forward to hearing your periodic reports as owners of the new Max. In my neck of the woods, the only 04s I have seen are in showrooms, and there aren't that many to begin with. Happy motoring and write soon and often.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    would you mind sharing what you paid?
    clpurnell...
    I paid around 31K.

mariner7....
    Yes, I am getting a lot of attention. Almost too much!!! But..... I LOVE IT!!!!!

I live in the Philly suburbs, so there isn't a need for a lot of parallel parking. I went to show my Mom (who lives in Philly with no driveway and gararge) the new car and had to parallel park in front of her house. I couldn't see the back of the car to judge because of the Maxima's short rear window. I had to rely on the side view mirrors.
    I now have the "cockpit" under control. I know how to work everything. I even have the CD player default to the name of the track playing.
    The Heated Seats...
    I wish that the control for the heated seats operated in the same manner as the rear window defroster. Although the thermostat cycles on and off, the control remains on unless you turn it off manually. If you never had heated seats before (I never had), you may tend to forget to turn it off as I did and only noticed that it was on when I was showing a friend how it worked.
    I've already washed the car, only because of the disc brake dust on the wheels. Tried to just clean the wheels, only to get water on the car.... What's a man to do???? Wash it! It was fun!!!!!!
    Last, but not least... went to the gas station, didn't want to put regular or premium in it so opted for the middle of the road. Stood there admiring my beauty and from afar, heard "Hey.... what kind of car is that?" Of course, I heard the guy, but I wanted to hear that phrase again, so I said, "HUH!!!!!" And, he repeated it. I didn't want to brag, so I just said, "IT'S A MAXIMA!!!" Now....I could have gone on to say that it was a 2004!!!, but I'll save that for later.
    I am sooooooo happy with this car!
    I just like the fact that it will be a current car for over a year and a half!!!!
    Any questions... just ask and I'll reply.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Drove an SL and SE over the weekend. Rear suspension and ride much improved over previous Maximas. Very noticeable. SE more fun. Manual shifting with auto 5 precise and enjoyable. Torque steer occasionally noticeable with SE with auto 5, but not objectionable. SE is son of G35, in that direction (but front drive), but not as sporty. Lots of gismos for people who like gismos: power folding mirrors, power tilt/telescope steering wheel, elaborate trip computer, key-in maintenance intervals (oil change intervals, tire rotation, etc), power lumbar, dual climate control, memory seat, steering wheel and mirror, power seat automatically moves back and and steering wheel lifts on exit, compass, etc, etc.. Lots of small buttons but not confusing and easy to learn, excellent brakes, some noticeable thrum on choppy road with fat SE tires (but less than previous generation.) In all, lots of fun and very impressive. Mysterious why car is larger on the outside but almost identical interior dimensions compared to previous Maxima.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    I recently drove a new Maxima with leather interior. The doors and dashboard were covered and trimmed in a terry cloth like material that really looked cheep. Can you upgrade the material to make it look better? Or, are we stuck with cheep looking material.
    Tedescm1 your stuck unless you do some aftermarket upgrades, Nissan should have left the materials as they were in the 03 Maxima. They were much more classy for this type of car.
  • chooseychoosey Member Posts: 6
    I drove my new 2004 Maxima for an 80 mile round trip over the weekend. This I-78 Pennsylvania road is know as a rough one and PA has some dooseys. Lots of trucks over this route. It's that thrump, thrump, thrump as you go over the joints. This was heard and felt in the car but it would be heard and felt in any car. When the road is reasonably smooth, you feel like you're gliding. The Bose stereo is very good and I'm navigating the LCD readout better.

I got a "base" SE so the sticker was 28K something. I don't have the heated seats and memory seat (wish it had the latter). Traded in my 93 Altima. The allowance was over double book value so I was happy. I bought the first and only one the dealer had at the time. I was convinced to buy the extended warrantee and I'm not usually the kind to do that. The computers and electronics on this car must be something to troubleshoot and it gives me some peace of mind down the road. I plan to keep the car long. My 1993 Altima was a "first" car and it was reliable as hell. If the first year Maximas are as reliable, I just blew a thousand bucks.

By the way, this car feels way fast! It takes some careful feathering of the throttle not to blast away from every red light. This is fun!
    You have add a $3,500 package to end up with the Xenons! What is up with THAT???

I'll take my 02 SE with cloth interior, sunroof (only option) and standard Xenons!

Obi
  • yichingyiching Member Posts: 6
    I ran out to the dealer yesterday to test drive the 04 SE with the six speed. Man, was I impressed! I'm the owner of a 00 SE five speed and I gotta say the new car betters mine in every way. It's more powerful. The handling feels more buttoned downed with the new suspension. It's quieter with a LOT less wind, road, and engine noise. And even though it's larger, it actually feels lighter and smaller on the road. I put my foot down in second gear on the on ramp and next thing I know I'm hitting 80 mph and 6K rpms with much less vibration and noise than in my car. The only thing I don't like is how Nissan made the car much bigger. For my needs, the previous generation was already plenty big enough and this new size is just humongous. The only thing I wonder about is the pricing. At MSRP, the G35 is a minimal step up in price. Personally, I'd probably pay the difference.
    I agree with you obi give me an 02/03 SE anyday over the 04 and I have driven the 04 exstensively. Yiching have you driven an 02 or 03 Max much more powerful(3.5 enginevs the 3.0) than the 00-01 and can compare better to the 04?
    I guess it depends on the color of the interior as to whether it looks cheap or not. Mine is the frost leather (gray) and I think it looks anything but cheap! Also, they say the material on the doors is supposed to be suede.
This discussion has been closed.