Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix 2004 Redesign Questions & Comments

Comments

• regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    Glad to see they've improved the car, but it still has the 'old' Pontiac look, like a larger Grand Am.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    If changes aren't somewhat evolutionary, the current customers will bail. That's what happened to Olds. Yep, it was NOT your father's Oldsmobile. Unfortunately for Olds, it wasn't the son/daughter's either. And EVERYONE quit buying it.

Gradual change from the old Pontiac and the company can be a success. Rapid change to NOT even a bit like the old Pontiac, and they risk losing the old customers AND not appealing to the new target group.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    I know this is a '04 Grand Prix discussion group, but has anyone heard if the '04 Regal GS will be also be getting the supercharged Series III engine? I keep hearing NO since the body style hasn't changed.
  • snaabsnaab Member Posts: 74
    no the regal is not going to get the new series 3. the car was supposed to get a redesign this year along with the GP but Lutz said the new car is no good and one of the worst designs hes seen in a long time (read that somewhere). so the regal pretty much stays the same. im guessin its going to stay that way for a few years.
  • richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    Did your GP have cloth or leather? I have not seen any pictures of the cloth, so if you have cloth and could post some pictures I'd really appreciate it.

I prefer cloth for comfort reasons, but if it looks cheasy, I'd go with the leather.

Thanks.
    yeah the grand prix has cloth. its a base car. its clear that the GM is going slightly downmarket (an effort to save money) as the cloth is not as "soft" and "nice feeling" as the old GP. But in a way this is good becuase tehy are nice and gripy. like i said before, seats are great and nicely bolstered. I hear the leather is of much better quality this year (on par with that of cadys?) Anyway it looks to me that my link for the pics arent working so ill post them on another site tomorrow morn. ill try and take some pics of the seats tomorrow too (car is in Canada now).
    plase use this link rather than the other one i gave. this one has more pics. i will try to take a few pics of the seats soon. take it easy.

http://photos.yahoo.com/amulay2003
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    It doesn't look like the Series III motor in the GP pictures at your weblink has a blower. Am I right?
    yyeah its a base car so no super charger.

i posted up more pics. someone wanted pics of the cloth seats i believe. cant really think of any more pics to take but let me know if anyone wants to see anything.

the seat cloth appears to be a refreshing nice upgrade over the really nasty stuff that been in pontiacs for the last twenty years........

thanks for the pics
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    Automobile is pretty critical of new GP. About the only good thing they say is about the interior!

And don't dismiss it as anti Detroit gibberish, it was glowing on the Pacifica in the same issue. Does GM have anything in the works to go against the Pacifica and Ford Freestyle? I don't think so, the Malibu Maxx is too small. GM, at the front of the Detroit pack at the moment, is going to fall behind if it doesn't!
  • wgrwgr Member Posts: 127
    The current issue of "Automibile" magazine has given the 04 Grand Prix a scathing review. It did not find it at all competitive with its German and Japanese counterparts. I was rather taken back by it. It will be interesting to see what other mags will say.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    automobile was the only negative review i've seen of the GP and they are not really fans of anything GM makes except pick-ups. Its funny because their opinions on the handling and other aspects of the car directly contradict what everyone else said.
    what I think: out of the "big three" car magazines, Automobile is by far the worst. They only started track testing there cars to obtain test numbers in the past year. Before they used to publish mfg. numbers. And after reading their articles you get little additional info about the car. They are too artsy to me. I think Car & Driver provides the best reviews of cars. Again this is just my opinion though and im not saying that the Grand Prix is world class or anything. Just saying that I think Automobile is a poorly written magazine. OH yeah... and that new Pacifica: its interior looks like a mess to me. Far too many cut lines and wahts up with copying Audi with the speaker placement by the doorhandles (A4). Anyone wanting to know how the new GP is should just drive one as soon as they hit the lots. THen go by make your own judgements. yup.
    Chrysler buys HUGE advertising packages, including special issues, from Automobile. I am quite sure that would never cloud their editorial judgment. Of course not. No way. Not ever. Just as I am quite sure the Motor Trend Car of the Year award is never selected with regard to who has the most advertising bucks to spend. Wouldn't do that. Of course they wouldn't.
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Pontiac held a preview of the GP at Universal Studios yesterday, so wanting to see the car I trekked over to check it out. Upon first glance the car does look nice... much sleeker than the old GP. It definitely did not look like a sedan... they did a nice job of keeping the sport coupe look.

The Pontiac people did a little presentation on one of the Universal sound stages. They brought in some guy from I think Motor Week to sing the praises. For comparison, they also had an Altima and something by Chrysler (an Intrepid?), but both were locked so you could only compare the outside.

To demonstrate the much talked about pass through and folding front seat, they lugged in a mini kayak. Then they took us out to a test track and had everyone put on helmets (supposedly for safety, but I'll bet it was just done to help get us in the mood of being real life race car drivers... right!)

Then we each got a quick two tours around the track. On the 2nd spin they told us to try the tap shift, but this didn't do much for me.

Then they brought us back to the soundstage and gave everyone coupons for free gas and a Pepsi six-pack.

My impressions of the event: hard to find... they did not post signs to where it was very well. Also, a LOT of waiting for the bus to take us back and forth.

My impressions of the car: not bad, but it definietly did not knock my socks off. The interior that everyone seems to like seemed rather plain to me.

It's a nice car, and I may buy one if the price is right. In fact, I'll probably compare it to the Altima and Accord Coupe and buy whatever costs less.
    USF or USH?

(Florida or Hollywood?)
    clearly, just being pontiac is not enough anymore.
    It's better than just being Oldsmobile! :)
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    SRX is a premium SUV. Chrysler is not a premium brand, except in Dieter's mind, so SRX is not competitor to Pacifica. I'd say the Rendezvous should've been, except clearly it's not a sales success. Pacifica will be a success, the only question is how huge.

I think Chrysler's the American on the move. There's something queintessentially (?) American about the Magnum, sort of Viperlook for the family. Ford shamelessly apes VW/Audi in its next design wave. Should be no surprise there, J Mays came from Audi, didn't he?

Except for Caddy's, GM's efforts in the other divisions have been weak and has developed no discernible design theme.

Chrysler's doing right to make a fresh start. Pacifica, Xfire & Magnum don't look anything like recent Chrysler offerings. Whereas I'd say new Malibu and GP look too much like the ones they're replacing!

Automobile is generally the most critical of the Big Four mags, towards all manufacturers, and therefore more credible also.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    has been a sales success, selling higher than forecasted. Also, SRX and Pacifica will overlap in price. Not much but slightly. I would rather drive a Caddy than a Chrysler. What defines a sales success? The new Malibu and GP will probably sell in the 200k range -- that seems like a success to me. And yes they will have incentives - so what, incentives are calculated into the pricing models.
    i dont remember which board it was in, but someone wanted to see pics of the GP guages at night. i tried takin some right now... but its kinda hard without using the flash becuase the shutter stays open longer making the shot very sensitive to movement. hope that made sense. thats why they are blury.

johnclineii: i couldnt agree with you more about how motortrend picks their car of the year (although the new G35 coupe is one great car). they put WAY too much emphasis on the car's significance in teh market.
    new GP won't sell 200k. It might break 150k on a good year....the issues

1) looks too much like the previous Grand Prix and too much like a Grand Am

2) the competition in sedans now is way too stiff.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    I apologize for not posting that it was going to be happening – but my excuse is that the person I pre-registered with at the Pontiac toll free number told me that an information packet would be sent and would arrive well before the event. So – I was going to post information once I received that – so that others in this area could attend if they wanted. When I checked my calendar for tomorrow - there it is. And still no information packet.

Anyway - I expect to (at least I'll try to) check this site before I leave for the evenet tomorrow AM. So: any specific issues I can check for anyone - poste here?

- Ray
    Owned a '97 GTP w/Thrasher pulley and Magnaflows . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    Here is a recent test drive and review of the 2004 GTP.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5833&n=157,- 180&sid=180
    Motorweek; courtesy of our local Public Broadcasting station, has the review of the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix on today. It was updated from the one they ran in January. They stated that with it's combination of design and features it has a "winning hand".
    It's finally supposed to be on here in Chicago on Monday night (I've been waiting for 2 months).
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    I attended a GP drive event held yesterday morning at the Atlanta Motor Speedway. Again, I apologize for not posting that it was going to be happening – but my excuse is that the person I pre-registered with at the Pontiac toll free number told me that an information packet would be sent and would arrive well before the event. So – I was going to post information once I received that – so that others in this area could attend if they wanted. And – as of yesterday’s mail, it still has not come ?????

Anyway – on to the car. They had 1 car to display and Craig Singhaus (of Motorweek) gave a marketing pitch. I was able to crawl in and around it for a while.

Then on to the 4 cars and a low speed ‘handling’ course. I believe that these were all early production cars – as opposed to specially assembled one. All were GTPs with the Comp. Group / WS6, moonroof, and leather.

We were allowed 3 circuits – there was no place to exceed maybe 40 mph without mowing down a BUNCH of cones. I chose not do risk that. We had to wear helmets – affecting the ability to judge NVH.

So -

Power – Good power at these low speeds. Very smooth. Very easy to smoke the front tires at launch – over half those I observed driving did so – some quite dramatically, given the tight course. (This is with the standard traction control on - interesting.) Further, I expect that the 3.29 final drive comes into effect here. I believe this may lead to variation in published 0-60 and SS ¼ mile times depending on the level of expertise of the driver in launching high torque FWD automobiles . . . The Motorweek “road test” (update of the preview that aired a while ago) quoted the GM 0-60 time of 6.5 seconds, but made no mention of further performance numbers – no quarter mile time / speed.

[Possible S/C pulley swap? Looks like the same basic set-up as ’97 – ’03. Meaning a quick, easy, cheap 20 – 30 hp increase will likely be available for those willing to risk possible drivetrain warrantee issues.)

Trans. – As has been confirmed, the TAP paddles upshifts by pressing either paddle forward. In ‘(M) manual’ mode, you can start in either 1st or 2nd gear? Smooth shifts. TAP paddle positions swung beyond the noon / 6 positions in this tight course – and they were ‘in motion’ during much of the run. Thus, I will need more seat time to judge some aspects of their use. [Sadly, the GP is not a Grand Prix car – where full lock is typically not much more than 90 degrees!] The fact that the TAP allows a forced upshift at WOT at less than red line is a plus compared to BMW’s Steptronic, for instance.

Ride – no real opportunity to judge – see below under noise.

Handling – Overall: Responsive. ‘Rotates’ well. 225/55 BF Goodridge Comp T/As howled under high load – but hard to tell how they would sound under normal (umm . . ) “brisk” street driving. Again, further, real world test drives will certainly be required.

Steering – Again: responsive. Good feel, given conditions.

Interior –

Overall, the interior impressed me with a good overall presentation, logical and clear control and display placement, excellent legibility, and very good quality of materials. The climate control offers flexibility – 2 intermediate positions on the rotary knob between each of the 5 primary / main Mode settings – for fine tuning. A good design.

DIC: much improved in display and flexibility / functionality from the one in my ‘97. Several personalized settings possible. Trans. temp can be displayed, for instance.

?? “18 HUD functions?” I see 17 listed in the “Getting to know your 2004 GP” guide (from page 12) = Vehicle speed, high beams, turn signals, 8-position compass, secondary PRNDL, outside air temp., TAP up/down gear position & Upshift ISO, Radio station frequency. Single CD: track number, Multiple CD: disc number and track number, Cassette Active, Check trip computer, Cruise Set, Traction Control active, Traction control off, Stability control active, and Stability control off.

Room:

Front seat - fine (though understandably a bit tight with a helmet on).

Rear seat – sitting behind myself (6’0” and about 225) there was probably only reasonable room for someone 5’6” and 175. And toe space was very tight, as I typically drive with the seat lowered as far as possible. OTOH, I could probably have adjusted the driver’s seat somewhat to provide a bit more room, if necessary. And again, all cars I examined had the optional moonroof and a possible impact on headroom. The fold flat forward passenger front seat, that produces a sort of desk – including the mesh / netting found on the seat back as a mechinism to hold the things I often just toss into the passenger seat, is quite an interesting and useful feature.

Comfort –

Front seat excellent – bolsters felt more supportive than in some other cars that look like they ought to be . . .

Rear seat – probably OK for people of, say, 5’ 6” to 5’ 9” tall - though a fold down armrest would certainly be useful – and this seems rather an odd omission.

The traction control can be turned off – and so can the Stability system – according to the information I see. But there have been instances (the new G35, for example) where the traction control system cannot actually be completely disabled.

Noise – Again, NVH very hard to judge given course and helmet. No visible or audible problems with the section of the course that including several tacked down tire tread ‘bumps’. Structural integrity seemed ok – particularly given the huge hole you can open between the trunk and interior.

Styling – Well, this is clearly VERY subjective, I acknowledge. But now that I have spent a while around several of these new cars, here is my reaction. This is an attractive car. The lager rear spoiler as well as the quad round exhaust tips and the grill inserts available as RPA-s all further enhance the appearance, in my view. The red painted calipers look terrific through the wheel spokes – but may be a cleaning nightmare.

But then, I’d probably replace the exhaust with a Borla, Corsa or Magnaflow a.s.a.p. anyway . . .

Conclusions –

It was certainly great fun to toss these cars around with someone else responsible for replacing the tires! BTW: I checked 2 of the front left tires (clockwise circuit) for wear – and they looked to be holding up rather well to the abuse.

The new GP is clearly a large step forward. Though I’d love to see 300 + HP and TQ, a six speed trans. and AWD, I suppose that is not likely now anytime soon. They have addressed several of the reasons that I did not buy a new GP when the time came to trade my ’97 GTP. I will drive one or 2 when the time comes to trade.

If anyone has further questions, post and I’ll try to answer – but it also sounds like new GPs are hitting some dealers.

Enjoy, all!
    - Ray
    Who probably made a mistake by taking a ride in a NASCAR stocker at over 165 mph
    2022 X3 M40i
  • jeffwoerthjeffwoerth Member Posts: 15
    The dealers in northern NJ have had the 04 since the middle of last week. They've been hiding them in the warehouse to get rid of the leftover 03's. Test drove a black GTP with the chrome, leather sun & sound package Wednesday. Liked it so much I went back to the dealer this morning and bought it and can't wait to pick it up tonight!
  • gmillegmille Member Posts: 3
    I just went to the Somerset Pontiac in Troy Michigan and they have a couple of 2004 GTP's with the CompG package. Funny thing was that the wheels on the car are not the 10-spoke machined finish wheels. Instead they were the GTP wheels with the chrome option. I questioned the dealer about this since many of us have been talking on this board about swapping wheels and he told me the following. The plant that manufactures the 10-spoke wheels burnt to the ground. A few dealers have gotten the CompG package with the intended 10-spoke wheels but now they have scrambled and are just using the standard GTP wheels until another supplier can be set up. On top of that they are charging customers for the chrome wheels ($595) even though customers are already paying a portion of the CompG option package for upgraded wheels. That is wrong in my opinion. They should not be charging more for this problem. While I like the chrome wheels better, I also liked the fact that the CompG wheels are lighter and fit with the rest of the CompG handling enhancements. What do you think about that??????
  • jeffwoerthjeffwoerth Member Posts: 15
    You're right, the consumer should not be responsible for Pontiac's inability to provide the specified wheels. If the chrome rims have been determined to be the equivalent replacement for the 10 spoke rims, how dare they charge extra. By the way the story about the fire sounds kind of fishy to me, have you spoken to another dealer to see what they say? I'll ask about that tonight when I go to my dealer.
  • gmillegmille Member Posts: 3
    Jeff,

No this is the first dealer I have gone to with this wheel condition. I am curious to see how the public will react when they order cars with this package and find out they have to shell out an additional $595.
    Motorweek named the 2004 GP Car of the Month; so the General must be doing a few things better.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/carofthemonth.shtml
  • fred707fred707 Member Posts: 27
    I can tell you this whole car thing for me has been a nightmare. I ordered a GTP/CompG back in the beginning of February and I have still to this day have not received my car. I was told it was sent to production the week of 3/17 and that it should be here the middle of April. To start off I ordered the rear curtain air bags (restricted) and of course loaded the rest. I was under the intention of using a pull ahead program that GM offers on a leased vehicle. Well after calling GM and several dealerships first I could use it... Than I could not use it. Even folks at GM corporate were like yeah it should work on a 04 Grand Prix. It took the executive marketing director to admit there was nothing they could do. And that basically if I wanted the car fine.. But I would get no help from them on getting out of my burried Alero. If I did not love my 97 GTP so much and enjoy the ride of the 04 i was able to test, I would have switched to Mazda or Ford. I hope GM redeems their place with me when my 04 does finally gtet here.. The fact that the wheels are unavailable could be the biggest reason why I was recently told production target date was 3/31. So who knows. Pontiac also told me that purchase availability was not until mid-april has anyone heard anything about this?
    drove through the pontiac lot last night...had to do a double take on the Grand Prix....at first I couldn't tell the difference from the Grand Ams next to it.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    It is amazing how confussion like this happens. My younger brother is eligible for the lease pull ahead program. The letter he received says it is only available for 2002 and 2003 models, and so do the instructions the dealers received. you would think GM would read the mail it sends to the owners. He has been told since he firt asked that the side bags would be a delayed start up. last he was told was mid-april for them. Hasn't hear of any problems with the wheels, they are not on hold for ordering, but the dealer is checking another source.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Asked some questions, surfed a little and did some research on your question. The GTP is standard with 17" wheels and the Chrome version is a $595 upgrade. So why shouldn't they be the same price for the Comp G, which is also standard with 17" wheels? The cost of the 17" GTP wheel and the Comp G 17" wheel is the same according to the dealer' sparts depatment, so the upgrade should be the same. The Comp G package is $1395. It includes the InfoTech package which is $600. In 2002 the Oldsmobile Intrigue had a stabilitrak suspesion upgrade which cost $595 (included tire and axle ratio upgrade) This leaves $200 to represent the TapShift and any additional cost for the wheels. Since all the TapShift is a coupe paddles and some software in the Transmission, it is very simualr to Traction Control on other GM cars which is a $175 option generally. So the "light-Weight" 17" wheels do not seam to have an economic impact on the cost of the Comp G, just a product difference. So the $595 again seems to make sense. Dealer is still trying to confirm the Fire story. Will psot back.
    In the past, having gotten too excited about a brand new vehicle and going through a very similar experience as fred707; Reading some of the above early release problems, confusion and misinformation(from the dealers) is one of the reasons I am waiting a year or so for Pontiac to wring it out. I have a very good relationship with one of the local Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealers here and they admit that they have little control the first 6 months or so when brand new models are released off calendar. My contact told me that the story about the wheel factory burning down sounded very funny. He said for the first couple of months they basically get what the allocations allow and if they are lucky some of the deliveries will match what they ordered. Most often they are forced to take whatever the regional managers let them have(some dealers have more clout than others) and some dealer personnel are just more honest than others.
    Visited 2 dealers today. Neither dealer heard of the fire story. BUT, I did see another Comp-G car with the $595 5-spoke chrome wheels. Seems like a rip off to me.

After contemplating the CTS and GP, I am close to pulling the trigger on a very good lease deal for a CTS. While the new GP is very nice and sporty, I already had a 98 GP, so I'm looking to try something different.

BTW, one of the dealers was willing to do GMS pricing with their in stock 04 GP's already!
  • kevin113kevin113 Member Posts: 3
    hi there everyone i have a 04 comp g on order should have it in a week or two but does anyone know why the grand prix logo badgeing that is surpost to be on the driver and passenger doors is not there? none of the comp g"s that ive seen at dealers have the badgeing on them like i see in the brochure and in magazines also the gtp badge on the trunk lid is jammed in the lower right corner it should be twice that size and on the left hand side. thank you to anyone who can answer this for me.
    Probably the badging is not yet available. Early production cars may differ from later models in any number of ways. Badging should probably be the least of your concerns! :)
  • wannabemlswannabemls Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I drove the GTP with the performance package. The car is absolutely beautiful once viewed in the, not flesh, but metal. It looks much better in real life than it does in photos. It has a nice edgy look, and still has a little bit of the classic coke bottle shape to it. It has a nice aggressive stance and is very attractive from all angles. Once on the road, we found it rode very well, even over rough road and expansion joints. Very quick, the thumb shifting system works perfect. It was very quiet, no wind noise or road noise to speak of. The seats were comfortable, but pinched me a bit. My wife, who is 4' 10" fits into the car very well, but she did feel the pedals were a tiny bit too far away once she set up for the vision and steering wheel adjustments. Adjustable pedals would make a great standard feature. The stereo sounded good, we only listened to the radio though. Everything was very classy, nice plastics and materials. The dash looks gadgety but cool. The Heads Up is a very nice feature. The only complaint I have is the shaping of the rear seat cushion bottoms. I felt like I was slipping off forward when I sat in them. Too flat, although this does allow for a flatter cargo area when they are tipped down. We are shopping, and this car has moved to the top three on our list. We currently drive a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE with the full bore factory handling suspension. It rides much more harshly than the GP, but has quicker steering,a great engine, great interior design and a panoramic view from inside. The GP feels a little less open from inside, the cockpit design of the dash, which is cool, and the rising rear flanks cut down on window space or contribute to the more closed in feeling. The view to the rear is more constrained than our Maxima. But those negatives aside, the GP GTP is a great car. We will probably buy one, it will be in the Sand or the new orange color if that looks cool. See ya on the road.
    What I find funny is how alot of dealerships are saying things and that they never really know. I was at a mom and pop Pontiac GMC dealer who had 2 GT's on the lot both were GT2's. I spoke to the sales manager trying to get an 04 GTP CompG instead of waiting for my build. He looked at me a laughed. He claimed Pontiac was having an allocation issue on WS6 Units. So I knowing he is a dealer. Drove to a bigger volume dealer 30 minutes away. They had 6 GTP CompG's on the lot 3 sold 3 ready for sale. I would of bought one but they had two Black and One green.

I agree it seems funny but it's all in what is available from regional managers. Market share plays heavily on allocation of units. Also what I ran into is the smaller dealers refuse to dicker on price. The big dealer sold me my GTP at invoice. The unit sticker on my GTP is $30,370. Now if they could just put the damn car on the train and ship it I would be happier.

Does anyone know why GM has taken the Grand Prix off of the order selection web site for dealerworld. Now we have no way of finding out what patterns are available for build. If someone can get a new link to it please post it. It was a very usefull tool.

The old site is http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/vehiclesel.jsp?regionID- =1&divisionID=7# But it does not have GP on it
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    the 2004 information is listed under the 2003 page. Go to select another division and then click on back and put in 2003 and cars and go to Pontiac. That should work.
    Is it me, or does the On Star antenna on the new GTP resemble Alfalfa's hair from the Little Rascals?
    Has anyone driven a GTP without comp-G, and a GTP with comp-G?

I've read the comp-G suspension is quite a bit rougher than the regular GTP. I've driven the comp-G and it does seem rough. But I can't find a non comp-G model to test drive.

Want to order or locate a car ASAP, but am hesitant since I can't test drive the plain GTP. If the ride quality is the same, I'd either go with a GT2 or suck it up and spring for a loaded Comp-G since I really want the SC engine.
    Yes I have driven both and have compared them. The non Comp G is more softer than the comp G. The comp G has a stiff/firm response. It is based on the suspension it gets. The GTP uses the same suspension as the GT2 softer and more bounce so to say. The comp G reacts to the road and handles much cleaner on even the most aggressive of curves. The GTP without tends to respond a little slower with more of the butt sliding. They both drive very very well. But the GTP handles a whole lot better when you get aggressive with it.
This discussion has been closed.