Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix 2004 Redesign Questions & Comments

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited March 2014 in Pontiac
Talk with Ed Hellwig, Edmund's Future Vehicles expert about the redesigned Pontiac Grand Prix.

Comments

• nickpernickper Member Posts: 28
    It seems that the new Grand Prix is being built off of the current Bonneville (large car) platform. Is this true? I like the design including the rear end. The interior doesn't look sporty enough, but rather lux wannabe in the pics I have seen. The pics show light tan/white leather. The interior also looks like somewhat Bonneville holdover.
  • machiavellimachiavelli Member Posts: 260
    From what I've read, the new 2004 GP is based on the same platform as the current GP, not the Bonneville.
  • gtpguygtpguy Member Posts: 2
    In this site I've read that there are gonna be 19" wheels?!?! They put only as big as 17" on the new Caddy CTS but 19's on a G/P? I don't think GM has the balls for that. (by the way 18" rims and wider 255 series tires make my 2000 GTP's handling noticeably better.)
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    The current GP's interior is AWFUL. Hopefully they will make it at least as good as Oldsmobile's.
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    Oldsmobile is a step up from Pontiac because of interior quality and ergonomics.
  • lorindanlorindan Member Posts: 2
    Does this come in black?
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    Saw some photos of the new GP, nice looking rig, interior much cleaned up. As for Olds I read that they'll only offer the V-8 Aurora, Alero, Silhouette and Bravada in 2003. The Intrigue engine won't pass the new low emissions stds.

What really has me waiting in the new GTO due for release late 2003
  • firstredgtpfirstredgtp Member Posts: 1
    I had been holding my breath hoping that Pontiac would give us the redesign for 2003, as well as a drop-top Solstice to go along with it---however, we just ordered our limited eddition 2003 GTP for (hopefully) October delivery. Oh well, at least it should retain high trade-in when... by the way we ordered our 97 GTP the very first week they could be ordered, dealer didn't even have pictures...122,000 miles later, still strong as an ox
  • gp_girlgp_girl Member Posts: 1
    I am currently leasing a Bonneville and had a Grand Prix before. I like the Bonnevile, but I love the Grand Prix and can't wait to try out the new 2004 model.
  • gpcoupemangpcoupeman Member Posts: 1
    In 1962 Pontiac introduced the first Grand Prix--a coupe. Now after 40 years, the coupe is history! Score another bone-headed move for the GM hierarchy!
    There are those of us in the buying public who want and need a two-door car for ease of entry and exit; who prefer the lines of a two-door to the extra set of handles dis-gracing the sides of a car with doors we seldom use. The whole world does not transport kids, grandkids, or car pools. It's about time the car companies, GM in particular, start remembering the traditions that were started when a car was a vital part of a person's life and coupes were the answer to sport driving without having to mortgage the home and the kids to afford one. Bring back the GP coupe!!
  • enniskillenenniskillen Member Posts: 87
    I work at the G.M Oshawa Ontario plant, and today a lightly disguised, new GP drove by me.
    Yawn, Pontiac may have built excitement in the past, but this aint it.
    But please bu them, my livelyhood depends on it.

Jeff
  • don129don129 Member Posts: 5
    So there will be no Coupe in 2004?? So much for the new Grand Prix I was going to purchase.... GPCoupeman is right.... Not everyone wants a 4-door car to haul around the rugrats. I refuse to buy a 4-door, at least until I'm 65 or have a houseful of kids.

Too bad, my 1998 GTP is my favorite car yet (I've had 8 new cars thus far). I was going to trade this one in for the 2004 GTP Comp G.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    hey it still looks like a coupe. Think of it as a 4-door coupe.
  • cougar67cougar67 Member Posts: 11
    I agree, it's nuts that GM has cancelled the Grand Prix coupe. While the sales of other coupes has been less than stellar lately, my perception is that the GP coupe has continued to sell well. I have a '98 GTP coupe; while the sedan looks good, for a sedan, I didn't even consider it. And yes, I have two children, but they're agile, and have no trouble climbing in back, even on a 5000 mile vacation last summer.

My dad just purchased his first sedan - at age 80! And, that was only because he has been a Buick man for 50 years, and there are no Buick coupes. He always said a sedan was "old man's car"; even at 80, he is not ready yet to be an "old man"! Just shows there is still a market out there, if the design and price are right.

I was considering purchasing the redesigned Grand Prix, but with no coupe, no way. Guess I'll look at the new GTO when it arrives, even though it promises to be more expensive, and not built here in the USA.
  • akrulznyakrulzny Member Posts: 3
    Looks like I am the only one (out of all these 17 messages I have read so far) who have seen the car in person at the Auto Show last year. I just love the car b/c of the way it looks. Anyone who has seen the car at the Auto Show the one and only thing I heard is I GOTTA GET ONE OF THIS. Though I am not say that I will definitely get this car but I am currently doing a personal survey of Infiniti G35 Coupe, Lexus IS 300, BMW 330i, and Pontiac GP. I am doing this survey to make sure that the car I will get next will be almost perfect not just by look but mostly its performance. I can tell you this so far looks like I will go w/ GP but if the price goes over $32K for this car; I might change my mind. Anyone want to see the survey can e-mail me at bulkmail@akrulzny.com
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    The car you saw in person at the auto show was NOT the 2004 Grand Prix. It was, rather, a concept car.

So not only are you not the only person here who has seen it, you haven't seen it, either! :)

It has been said that 80 percent of the concept car made it into the production model Grand Prix. I guess we will see soon, as in February. An auto show debut is expected in January.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    there are pics available at the GM website listed above. You can see what the production car looks like.
  • kevin113kevin113 Member Posts: 3
    i heard 2004 gp due to arrive in showrooms in spring 2003 does anyone know that for sure thanks
  • richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    Thanks, ruski, for the links to those sites. That's a lot of new info I am seeing for the first time. Can't wait to see it up close at the Auto Show here in Chicago in February.

I love the wheels and athletic stance. Also, the folddown seats are a huge plus. I'm not sure if I like the interior that much, though. Maybe it needs to grow on me.
    Anyone know if dealers have brochures for the 2004 GP yet? I'd like to see the various options, color selections, and rim choices. Boy, I hope they offer the Bose system. I also wonder what the base prices will be.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    These days brochures usually arrive long AFTER the actual cars do...
  • 3800fan3800fan Member Posts: 1
    I have owned an 89 grand prix, a 93 bonneville sse (still a beautiful car) and a 01 bonneville. I've waited for Pontiac to build a grand prix this powerful for a long time. Unfortunately its close but no cigar. Where is the stick shift?? Where is the coupe?? Where is the center console that doesn't look like it was molded out of lego blocks? This 2004 grand prix looks good but it won't get my dollars as it is now.
    From what it looks like to me Pontiac will be bringing the GTO over to fill the gap with coupe and the GTO will have a six speed. Overall sales of the coupe GP were fairly low and I'm guessing the General decided offering then GTO would further take sales from the GP so they dropped the GP coupe.
  • gmfan007gmfan007 Member Posts: 77
    I like the size and price range of the GP and GTO. But, I want a front drive coupe. You have to go to a smaller, cheaper looking coupe anymore.
    Honda Accord Coupe is still around
    or Acura CL, or CL-S
  • sullivan12sullivan12 Member Posts: 1
    I have been a long time fan of the GP.
    This car is (not) a GP!
    This car is a GM chop job. Chop the front off of a Bonneville. Chop the body from a Alero. chop the rear end off of a Sunfire. Mix them all together and you get one ugly GP.:(
  • suzydsuzyd Member Posts: 1
    I have been wanting to get a GP for a long time - but figured a redesign would be coming soon. This is great!! I'll be looking for my silver GP as soon as they hit the market. Can't wait!
  • carnicelli1carnicelli1 Member Posts: 1
    Due to the fact that the Firebird's price climbed the mountain (and ultimately jumped itself to its own death), i think its awesome that Pontiac has chosen the Grand Prix to step to the plate and bat cleanup!! I own a '99 full size, black Prix SE, and I dont see a car built by Pontiac thats better qualified to take the reigns......By muscleing it up to form the GTO, it should fill the gaping hole in the Pontiac lineup. SO that said, anyone hear or read what i read last week?? The Camaro's replacement is going to be a muscled up, supercharged version of the 2005 model Cavalier.....read it in Motor Trend in the intro for the 2003 Cav.....lemme know, i'd like to see a pic of that like u wouldnt believe..... i wonder what make or model is due for drastic change....maybe the old beretta? or the lumina..send me pics if ya find anything
  • wgrwgr Member Posts: 127
    Anyone know the approx price range for the 04 ?

Also, is the 04 front or rear drive ?

Sorry to ask such basic questions, but I just came across this new car.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    If you go to the GM Fleet site you can see a relatively complete ordering guide for the '04 Grand Prix. Click on "print book" and select it. I was having trouble getting this to work in IE, but it definitely works in Netscape, so use that if you have it.

-Andrew L

Thanks for the site. It printed fine.
    Thanks for the heads-up on the site!

Does anyone know how good the Monsoon speakers sound ? I was hoping the Bose stereo was going to be offered.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Speaker sound is a hard for one person to guide another. I know I have seen posts about disappoinment with some Bose systems. Monsoon line of speakers are offered by a couple manufacturers (VW I think along with GM) (Even make computer speakers). I believe it just away around having to pay for the use of Dr. Bose's name. Should be acceptable fo rth enew GP. (Bose speaker owner since 1979 for home system and Wave Radio owner)
  • streetracerstreetracer Member Posts: 134
    Sounds real nice. I would love to retrofit TAC Shift and Stabilitrak. I already have a lot more power, and will probably eventually put in a Intense trans with 3:69 final drive and maybe a QUAIFE differential:)
    The more I look at the new GP, the more disappointed I am getting, especially the rear end with that teeny tiny spoiler and the cheap and cluttered looking dash.

The Bonneville GXP, on the other hand, that's a car with killer good looks. I really wish it was coming out this year. I can't wait another 15 months before getting a new car.
  • alshariffalshariff Member Posts: 11
    A little bit about where I can help. I work for a company which designs and manufactures the interior. I'm in tune with the options and have driven a production vehicle. To date GM Oshawa has built approx. 120 salable vehicles.
    Hey everyone,

Check out www.grandprix.net. There are dozens of real production pictures there.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    How exactly does this work? Is it just another manumatic or is it more like a sequential? I have read that it has downshift protection - I assume that this means it will not let you downshift at high rpms. I also understand that it has "intermediate gear hold' - what is this? And what does second gear start mean?
  • streetracerstreetracer Member Posts: 134
    Her is my understanding:

TACSHIFT is part of the competition package (compg) for the Grandprix GTP. TACSHIFT is a control system for the 4 speed electronically controlled automatic transmission in the GTP. This transmission features a lock-up and possibly high stall torque converter with an available 3.29:1 final drive ratio.

TACSHIFT allows the driver to manually select gears, using steering wheel mounted upshift and downshift buttons. TACSHIFT also support full automatic operation, with performance and regular modes. Performance mode offers firmer shifts and higher shift points.

TACSHIFT in manual mode will not automatically upshift or downshift regardless of RPM. The automatic mode will also hold a gear through a corner (it detecting cornering using stabilitrak sensors for yaw rate and lateral acceleration), to prevent unsettling the car and keep it in the powerband for accelerating out the exist.

The downshift protection will either prevent or delay a downshift if doing so would put the engine at or above the redline. I am not sure if it simply ignores such a request, or queues it up until speeds have dropped to a point where the shift is safe.

A "higher" final drive ratio means more torque in every gear through out the power band. The torque to the ground is a result of torque form engine times gear ratio times final drive ratio - similar to ten speed or 18 speed bike (pedals, big gear, small gear).

A lock-up torque converter directly connects engine and transmission under heavy acceleration - which reduces the loss of transmitting power through transmission fluid. The current grandprix also has a lock-up torque converter.

A high speed torque converter allows the engine to rev higher from a stop before engaging gear, creating a harder launch and better 0-60 and 1/4 times (assuming sufficient traction). The time the car takes from pressing the car to actually reaching speed may be the same or slower, but the time from when it begins to move is faster because engine revs while at a stop putting it further into its powerband and builds up kinetic energy to transfer into speed.
    Has anyone seen any hints from Pontiac/GM where they are planning to price the 2004 GTP and the competition package? From the URL links given previously and following some of the updates I for one am building up anticipation. I really loved my 2000 GTP and the extra hp plus the Comp package has me looking forward....but I'm hoping the ceiling won't exceed $30k for a loaded GTP with Comp package.
    My guess is that the 04 GP pricing will be in line with that of the current model. To me it looks as though the SE will be dropped and there will be a GT1 (SE replacement) and a GT2 (current GT) and then the GTP and the GTP with comp package. I would imagine that the comp package will be pushing the $30k mark.
    Somewhere over the weekend I saw a price range of 24,000 - 29,000. I can not find it again, but I believe it might have been in the January Motor Trend I just got at home. Anyone else see this ?
    that's the territory of Acura TL-S, Infiniti G35, Infiniti I35... Very nice cars with high power and more luxury-oriented too.
    I agree. If that is the price, I do not see how it can compete with the cars you mentioned. I was hoping (foolishly) that GM would undercut the competition, especially due to the perceived difference in build quality. Once they have a track record of equal quality, then they can go for the higher prices.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    Does anyone know if they are going to continue making the Bonneville for 2004? Because that pricing seems almost on the level with it. It wouldn't make sense to have two Pontiac sedans in the same price range.

-Andrew L
    I think the future of the Bonneville is still undecided, but they will still be producing them in 04. The Bonneville GXP is slated to be an 04 model available in about a year from now.
    That baby has to be in the lower to mid $30's. It seems like every car I am interested in is pricing me out.
This discussion has been closed.