Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango Redesign for 2004

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited March 2014 in Dodge

Comments

• anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    What happened to the other Dodge Durango threads?
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Will the Durango be compact, playing against the Escape and Vitara or will it be midsize, playing against the Explorer and the TrailBlazer? I prefer the latter because Dodge can use the Mitsubishi Outlander and badge engineer it to be a Dodge Small SUV. (Just slap some Dodge badges and add some features and overprice it by 500 dollars)
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Durango will not be compact - it has always been a larger midsize SUV from day 1.
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Why would they shrink the Durango from it's current size? No, in fact it's going to stay the same as the current version, but with a longer wheelbase for even more interior room. It will look like a cross between the new Ram and the current model, with a slightly more chiseled look. Here's the latest:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5416&n=156,178&sid=178

• deadlycurlzdeadlycurlz Member Posts: 1
    The front grill looks really hot on the 2004 but what's up with the BODY??? That is what attracted me most to the Durango-its rugged, truck styling- and they go and ruin it!!! Now it looks like the CARAVAN with a cool grill! AUGH! Thank God I didn't wait for it to come out before making my purchase!
  • cangen1cangen1 Member Posts: 1
    I agree with "deadlycurlz". Sure does resemble a mini van. Not sure if I like it. I think that I will stick with my '99 slt.At least it looks Ram tough.
  • greyhound_ohgreyhound_oh Member Posts: 1
    I am in the opinion that the new Durango looks like the Ram in the front. And from the front door back looks like a Jeep Grand Cherokee call me crazy but I think they (Dodge) took a styling queue from Jeep for some strange reason.
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    I thought the '98-'03 Durango looked MORE like a Minivan than the '04... but that's just me...
  • 1badsidekick1badsidekick Member Posts: 135
    Yep, me three. You do know that the tail-lights from the 98-03 Durangos came from the Caravan, don't you? The tail gate looks like it came from it too. Thats the ONE thing that I can't stand, the back of the thing. Everytime I look at it, I say "a Caravan with off road tires."
  • 204hammer204hammer Member Posts: 1
    Please!!!!!don't make the new model any smaller. I've been waiting 2 years for a bigger durango,what's going on here guy's? Let's get with the program. Look what's out there, Bigger is better. By the way, the 2004 R/T is sweet!!!!
    Why make a bigger durango? A few inches here and there maybe, but the market for it is pretty much set for mid-size. I do think that dodge should come out with a new Ram Charger, something based on the Ram to compete with the Expedition/Excursion, and Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban.
  • codygcodyg Member Posts: 3
    Two years ago I bought a Dodge Ram 4x4 QC. Luv luuv luv it! Dodge has come full circle from ten years ago.

When I saw the first concept photo of the new designed Durango I got REAL excited. It looked like a "new millenium" version of the old Dodge Power Wagon. I downloaded a photo of it. This thing Really rocked! Very Military/Utilitary looking vehicle, stylish and sleek. The Type of truck I envision as a REAL sport utility.

But now it's all changed. I am so pissed at Dodge! They've turned the Durango into a freekin' Mini van!!! Who cares if it's got a Hemi it looks like a piece O' crap! I wouldn't even drive one if I was wearing a ski mask. I am so frustrated by this move. I won't even consider a 2004 Durango now. I think I'll opt for a real SUV.

Comon' Dodge...get your head out...and give us a real SUV!

Seriously

CodyG
    Where did you see photographic proof of this so called minivan-ute? I'd like to see them if you have a link for it. Thanks.
  • codygcodyg Member Posts: 3
    The photos from the auto shows are right here at Edmunds.com.

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2004/dodge/durango/100122259/photos.html?

Looks like a mini-van to me. It may be a "truck" with a Hemi and train towing capacity...but it certainly doesn't LOOK like a truck to me.

Just my $.02

CodyG
  • durangoluvrdurangoluvr Member Posts: 1
    That is sick. It does look like a minivan. I was seriously thinking about replacing my 2000 Durango with a 2004 Durango but not if it looks like that.

Denise
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Dodge's Durango sounds OK. But I don't think SUV buyers want minivan looks. What Dodge really needs is a compact SUV. As I said earlier, rebadge a Outlander and overprice it by 500 bucks. There. A small SUV ready to sell.
    I still have a hard time seeing it as minivan, it still looks like an SUV to me, however they could lengthen the hood and slope the windshield a bit taller so it isn't leaning back so far. I thought maybe there were pictures of a different version out there. The current Durango looks more like a minivan, especially from the rear. Of course, keep in mind, that is just the concept. A lot of actual production vehicles look nothing like the concept. Dodge definitely could capitalize on the market more if they offered a mini-ute, such as your outlander suggestion, and a brute-ute, such as something based on the Ram. However, the first thing I noticed when the new ram came out was how sloped back the windshield was, could be where Dodge is going now, so its more aerodynamic. But you guys are right. More macho looks needs to be a priority. Now that I think about it, I can't picture that thing climbing a muddy mountain or slaloming through the snow.
  • continentalcontinental Member Posts: 2
  • continentalcontinental Member Posts: 2
    In regards to your question about moving from a minivan to a durango it would depend on your situation. We had two minvans before changing to the Durango. Our move was based on a couple of reasons. The first one being that our youngest was now able to get in and out on her own without assistance and no longer required a child seat and the second had to do with an accident that my wife was in. She was rear ended by an suv which pushed the rear hatch of our minivan into the back seat (luckily my daughter was in the middle row) and I felt that for safety reasons we had to be on par with everybody else in my area. We also get a lot of snow here and the 4x4 does help. In regards to missing extra room? Not at all, especially with the back row folded down. There is still plent of room, and as a matter of fact I just piled 40 2x4x8's into it. My wife doesn't know that though. I just purchased a Honda Pilot for myself.
  • bougionibougioni Member Posts: 2
    Not likely…

I own a 2001 SLT 4x4 and Love it. However, just for a change of pace I was thinking about going to an Envoy XL, not anymore, I’ll wait until 2004 and Grab Life by the Horns in that gorgeous TRUCK.

P.S. does anyone know anything about DC putting a Diesel or a hybrid in the Durango, gas is really getting expensive up here!
  • rassom1rassom1 Member Posts: 35
    Just in case your wondering, the Durango is built on a chassis and the Minivans are unibody.

Does that still make it a minivan?????
  • toonsestoonses Member Posts: 2
    It looks like a PT Cruiser to me - not that I like that any better. :P

Also, is it just me, or does it look like they have lowered the ground clearance? If they have I will definately NOT be purchasing one of these. Maybe I will see if I can get enough money together for a downpayment on a 2003 before those all get sold...

Anybody else have some good recomnedations for an SUV that can handle dirt mountain roads, snow and ice, will last 10 years, and has a decent sized engine? I don't need to pull any trailers, but one of the things that attracted me to the Durango in the first place was that it has that 4.7L engine standard. Also - not overly fond of Ford - always have electrical probs and/or leaks and nobody can ever find the problem.
  • kendoughkendough Member Posts: 7
    I can't find any info on when they will be available. Very little info on them out there.
  • rrudolph1rrudolph1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been trying to find information regarding the redesign for weeks now. I can't seem to get answers from anyone. I heard they may be available for ordering sometime in June. If anyone has information on the redesign and when it will be available for purchase I would appreciate it.
  • georgiapawpawgeorgiapawpaw Member Posts: 2
    I think the Chrysler Pacifica has more of a minivan look than this Durango. Currently drive a 2000 Durango SLT. previous owned Blazer (94) and Explorer (99) Durango is head over heels best vehicle. Waiting to see what the "real" 2004 looks like as well as engine options. My wife needs V8 power but not HEMI.....When can I see a real 2004? Picture or at dealer...........
    245hp 5.9 liter V8, 31X10.50-15 tires, full frame, no sliding doors, actual 4 wheel drive lever, 7500 lb towing capacity. If they built a minivan like that, I'd buy it. Still love my '98.
  • pop88pop88 Member Posts: 13
    See Kendough likes his durango. I like mine too. I'm satsified. You know. The people that want a durango for towing? Get a 5.9 liter V8. thats the best bet. Kendough what type of stuff do you haul with your durango?
    I don't tow alot. but I do tow an enclosed motorcyle trailer and a two axle utility trailer. No big mountains ever, but I have been on the Penn. turnpike several times. The durango is the best vehicle I've ever had.
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    We have the 7/70 warranty on our 2002 Sebring... I believe the deductible is $100-$150. I'll have to look around for some paperwork and get back to you with a positive answer.
    Edmunds says the 2004 model will be available spring of 2004. I looks on some other sites, and there is no set date, just TBD.
  • traumagastraumagas Member Posts: 64
    I currently have a dakota quad slt 4.7 loaded out with 4x4 This truck rocks would buy another today have 50k no problems, I saw the site here at edmunds on specs. it says the durango will have full time 4x4 :(
      This will blow if this is the only powertrain avail. I would not buy a full time 4x4. Been there do that. Not again. Does anyone have any info on this durango. If so please let me know.
                               Jon
  • momulemomule Member Posts: 1
    See website www.dodgeboy.net for full views of the 85% DURANGO (almost will be used) for 2004.
    Great Pics!
    Anyone know when they will be on the market for sale ??
  • josephus1josephus1 Member Posts: 5
    I love the look of the RT concept, and especially the Hemi. I think Toonnses is right, it looks low, which is great for the Street rodders. But now I gotta shell out $3K for a lift kit & tires too?
    For a mid-size SUV with better clearance and Off-road ability the Toyota 4-Runner now offers a V8 option, and will last longer than you'll want it to.
    I have a 2000 4.7l and I love it, so I'll wait for Dodge to produce the Hemi'Rango.
  • georgiapawpawgeorgiapawpaw Member Posts: 2
    Pix @ dodgeboy.net are the same as all others I have seen. Is this actual production or prototype? If 2004 is to come out "spring of 2003", where is it? I renewed lease on 2000 SLT for 6 months so I could get a good chance on the 2004. Anyone else got anything new on actual available date?
  • racerlady503racerlady503 Member Posts: 5
    The deductible only applies after your 3/36 is over and it's $100 or $150.... As for the fine print, just make sure you have a history of all of your maintenance records so that if something does come up, you can show that it's not lack of upkeep on your part....

As for the mini-van thing... oh please!

The Durango is 15% larger everywhere, hip room, shoulder room, width, etc, etc, etc.... You can fit a 48" (4 ft) piece of plywood BETWEEN the wheel wells!
  • rodney12rodney12 Member Posts: 32
    From recent discussion here it seems timely to mention DC's media access site. This is where press releases are made and info is given to the general public. It's also where other sites get their pictures (then usually shrink them) and often much of their verbage.

Its at http://www.media.daimlerchrysler.com/gms_frame

Click on "continue as guest", check the box agreeing to the legal mumbo jumbo, and click next. On the left click on "Chrysler Group" then "Dodge trucks" or whatever. There is a great deal of information there, including the 2004 Durango press kit, which mentions availability this fall.

Happy surfing...
  • spoonsjtdspoonsjtd Member Posts: 1
    Rodney, how did you find the 2004 press kit? I can only find one for the 2003.
  • rodney12rodney12 Member Posts: 32
    does not exist yet. Sorry about the mis-speak in my post. I meant to say the prototype for the 2004 Durango's press kit. They designate the concept by the year IT was produced, not any production model it may or may not 'inspire'. In this case, the 2003 Durango RT Hemi concept is the prototype of the 2004 Durango. As the kit says, it's about 85% of the exterior. They talk about the 2004 model as if this is almost it.

I'm looking forward to spyshots, and details about the real 2004 as well. In the mean time we'll have to settle for the concept [sigh] which should be pretty close.

Again, sorry for the confusion...
  • colorado1974colorado1974 Member Posts: 177
    I am a Dodge dealer in Washington state and to my surprise yesterday I was able to order the all new Durango. Even though Chrysler has not informed the dealer body yet of the change it was very obvious.

The new sales code is HB, last year it was AN.
    The engine choices are 4.7L or 5.7L Hemi.
    The rear set is split 50/50.
    The fuel capacity goes from 25 in 2003 to 27 in 2004.
    17 inch wheels are standard.
    The SLT Plus trim is now called Limited Trim.
    And so on.

Pricing was not given but I ordered a bunch of them.
  • colorado1974colorado1974 Member Posts: 177
    I posted the old Durango as an AN model but the correct model code was DN.
    I have searched and searched this internet. Nowhere can I find a start up date. Its not that I don't beleive you Colorado, but it seems strange.

I have even written to Dodge. They are saying spring of 2004.
  • brianbmbrianbm Member Posts: 55
    Colorado, if you can get the info, what ground clearance and approach angles is Dodge claiming?
    I do go offroad, and love ground clearance - it's up there with good galvanizing in my book. Bigger is nicer, but not if I get stuck on a rock.
  • pavementendspavementends Member Posts: 1
    My wife drives a 99 Durango 5.9 with tow package.
    We have been looking at a later model but all Dodge offers now have the 3rd row seat. With the 3rd row seat you loose a flat floor with all seats folded. Talk about a mini van interior! We wish DC offered the option of not buying the 3rd seat. All we get from our dealers is "well you can take it out and leave it in the garage." I'm not sure even the option of a hemi will keep us from shopping elsewhere. This is a pain because we really love the Durango.
  • northportnynorthportny Member Posts: 2
    The lease for my 2001 Durango will be up in early November (2003). Im beginning to panic when I hear the 2004 Durango may not be out until Spring 2004. We LOVE our Durango. It has never given us a single problem despite what many had warned us about before getting it. Its been wonderful and I would definately get the 2004 if it comes out in time. Spring is not "in time" for me and it breaks my heart because there really isnt any other third row seat SUV out there that does anything for me.

Help me if anyone knows when the new style will be coming out.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    It looks like an SUV to me not a minivan at all. Plus I love minivans' style. north, look at the Suzuki XL-7, Ford Explorer , Chrysler Pacifica, and minivans like the Toyota Sienna, Mazda MPV, and Chrysler T&C. The minivans are the best but if a minivan isn't for you, consider the XL-7 Limited as it is a great SUV with a luxurious and roomy interior and rugged looks outside.
  • dwk1031dwk1031 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know if there will be more cargo space in the 04 Durango? If so, what is the total amount of cargo space available? Does it compare equaly to that of the Tahoe?
  • denimo1denimo1 Member Posts: 13
    I've handed my leased '00 Yukon to our local Dodge dealer and am waiting for my '04 Durango.
    I'm told it will be available in BC in mid October and yes I'm going with the Hemi. I dont tow much, but we have some pretty high level passes here and lots of single lane highway. Does anyone know if Dodge will move to a floor shifter,or if they plan to offer an OE grille guard( like the Endeavour)?
  • HammertimeHammertime Member Posts: 14
    The Durango isn't a minivan with off-road tires -- that would be the Toyota Highlander.

My first impression of the 2004 D is very ugly, but that's what I first thought of the redesigned Grand Cherokee a few years ago. Now I prefer the looks of the current models.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
This discussion has been closed.