Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 300ZX, all models

124»

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, but replacing every gasket may be preemptive overkill. Maybe a more reasonable plan would be to try to determine which gaskets are leaking first, how badly they're leaking, and go from there. However, I'd go with Shifty's advice on maintenance and repair matters.

Anyway, congratulations on your purchase. I've owned a '88 300 ZX for a number of years. From my experience, and mine has 183,000 miles on it, these are very well made, quite low maintenance cars. Good luck with yours.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think it's the simple things that cause the most breakdowns. A few tiny oil leaks are no big deal and generally not worth the effort on older cars. If you lift the car and see a huge oil wash from the oil pan to the differential, you know you have an oil leak that's worth fixing. But if you have a few localized drips here and there, I wouldn't bother at this point.

Iffy brakes are not good, so check the pad thicknesses and the condition of the rotors. Again, if you see funky brake fluid in there, flush it out and bleed the system. Check the condition of the brake hoses at the calipers. Soft hoses will bulge when braking, causing a loss of brake pressure. Also look for cracks in the hoses---that's dangerous.

So keep the "pre-emptive" to the simple but important parts of the car---the hoses, belts, brake pads---and a general tightening up.

You can also check the water pump for looseness and leaks, and give the battery a good look, for corroded cables or low electrolyte levels.
  • willynale16willynale16 Member Posts: 5
    well I appreciate all this info guys. im just gonna go ahead and flush the brake fluid and replace all the pads anyways.I also just replaced the battery. another thing I noticed was it smells like burning oil when and after I drive it, but I was told that it might just be what nissan sprayed on the sheet metal around the engine to reduce rust. From what i know this car should be pretty reliable as long as i go easy with it right? oh and what should I look for in the rotors to make sure its allright?
    No whoever told you that is smoking something peculiar. Good imagination though!

The burning smell is probably a small oil leak dripping onto a hot exhaust pipe.

As for the rotors, they should be smooth as glass (don't touch them while they are hot!!!). If you see ridges, like corduroy pants, they're toast and need to be either turned by machine or replaced.
    alright thanks, ill let you know how it all goes.
    well it turns out I do have the ridges on my rear rotors... bummer. so im resurfacing them tomorrow along with new pads. looks like someone maybe drove with the e brake on before i bought it. But its alright i didn't expect the car to be perfect, so im just gonna try and stay as positive as i can about it.
  • donnalynn210donnalynn210 Member Posts: 2
    thank you for your questionsL yes i am original owner, it is an automatic, maintenance records kept maticulously last 12 months. new water pump and alterantor, maybe timing belt (i need to check), general tune up and oil changes, no additional flaws
    thanks
    Adding the information you provided in your message #153 to this latest information suggests you have a very solid, well maintained (though perhaps less than pristine), one owner, low mileage car. This car has years and many miles of useful life left in it, although obtaining new replacement parts at reasonable prices will become an increasing challenge.

If this description is accurate, I'd say it would be reasonable to ask $5,900, and adjust the selling price (or not, if you're lucky), based on how much interest develops from prospective buyers.

Incidentally, by the 1988 model year these cars were no longer Datsuns, but Nissans. Therefore, I'd advertise it as a 1988 Nissan 300ZX turbo, because the Datsun brand applied to Z cars from the '70s and early '80s.

Shifty, your opinion is always useful.

Please let us know what happens.
    That's a fine starting price. It's a bit strong of a price IMO for a Z31 car (pre 1990) but certainly a reasonable asking price for openers. I'd rather expect that for $5900 the car would be rather pristine but perhaps it really is a good-looker with just a few little blemishes.

The Z32 model is a lot stronger in the marketplace. The difference between a Z31 and the next year's Z32 can be double the value! Why? Probably because of styling. The Z 32 is considered by most to be more attractive.
    For a long time, and especially in the '90s, I thought the Z32 was far more attractive than the Z31. With the passing of time, though, the 31s began to gain on the Z32, looks wise, in my eyes. That's why I've kept my Z31. I know full well that it'll never be more than a used touring type car, but I think it's aging gracefully. At this point Z31s are fully depreciated.

Styling is a very personal matter, of course.
    Yes it's personal but alas----people's personal tastes do dictate market prices, so that's why it matters---be it subjective or not, it's objective in the dollar sign department.

Of course tastes change, too.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    The Z32 in my eyes is almost a timeless design. For being 20 years old, it looks nothing but amazing today.
    I agree,
  • nhubbardnhubbard Member Posts: 1
    where do you live i would be interrested I am in San Antonio
  • spinitspinit Member Posts: 1
    1985 300zx turbo The ac condenser fan motor is not working with the ac on and compressor running. the system has freon in it but there is not any power to the condenser fan motor. Is this a common problem I am having and is there a specific place I should be looking to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance
  • bill92zxbill92zx Member Posts: 1
    Finally decided to take the dive into foreign territory and buy something offshore. As a long time US Muscle Maniac, I find myself in the unusual position of wanting something different. My find:

'92 300ZX Base Model, 5-speed with Leather Seats and T-Tops. It's all original, in beautiful condition and I'm getting all the maintenance records back to'92 as well as the original window sticker. 147,000 miles on it, with a new timing chain. I expect to replace the injectors, as they haven't been done yet, but all in all, worth the $5,500 I'm paying, I think.

(Or hope... :)

Bill Hazen
    Lexington, KY
  • garv214garv214 Member Posts: 162
    edited July 2013
    My room mate had a 1990 300ZX base model with the 5 speed. It was a real hoot to drive. Good power and handling, respectable fuel economy if you weren't caning it at every opportunity. You are correct though, they love to eat their fuel injectors....

Enjoy your new toy! :shades: