Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Canyon

Comments

• 9214992149 Member Posts: 2
    I'm glad you folks generally seem to think the Canyon is a good buy and are happy with your purchase. I ordered one in January 2004 and can't get it. I've heard various songs and dances about WHY it can't be built but the whole thing is getting quite ridiculous. Paint, (ordered indigo blue) tooling, (extended cabs), sliding rear windows, transmissions for extended cab auto 4X4's, even "the vehicle has too many options." Now I'm told "not in production."I'd be just a bit leery if I was you folks. Good luck with your new vehicles. Mine was to be my retirement gift from my wife. Don't think I'll be buying GMC anymore. What has been your experience? Semper Fi to any old Marines out there.
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    I got mine in February and they did a dealer swap. I have a loaded crew cab. I know the dealer I bought from had a blue 4WD Ext. Cab that was pretty loaded up... Seems like the crew cabs started selling the hottest, but I know the dealer has been moving at least a dozen since I bought mine.
    You might try the internet and gmbuypower.com, build your own and then do a dealer search/request a dealer quote.
    I think the dealer you have dealt with may be pulling your leg as I just located 4 indigo blue 4WD ext cabs with at least 2 fully loaded and pushing $30k MSRP here in the OR-WA area.
  • sporttbirdsporttbird Member Posts: 5
    Hi again,
       Well, I thought I would check in since I ordered my Canyon in mid February, and it has not arrived yet either. Originally I was told that it would probably be the end of March or early April before I could take delivery, about 6 weeks out. When I contacted the dealer in early April, I was told there was a supplier problem with the drive line, (of the 4WD Crew cabs only) by my dealer. I contacted them about 2 weeks later and was told that they had a build date of the very next week and I could expect a 2 week delay before they would take delivery.
    I contacted the dealer again last week and I am still waiting on clarification on what exactly the problem is, (supplier, demand, etc). I did a little digging myself and found out that American Axles had a 2 day strike in February, but I would not have expected a 2 day strike to push delivery of my vehicle out another 6 weeks. At this rate the new Nissan Frontier, Dodge Dakota, or Toyota Tacoma may make it into my garage before the Canyon even shows up at the dealership.
     I am not sure what the delay is but if I do get that information, I will pass it on...

SportTBird
  • 9214992149 Member Posts: 2
    My dealer pulled a rabbit out of a hat and got me my Canyon. Onyx black, loaded to the gunwales, a real beauty. The I-5 is just fine. Plenty of power to tow my boat as well as cruise the highway. So far fuel economy is excellent at 20 MPG city and just a shade over 24 MPG highway. All in all I'm happy with it. Solid, well built vehicle and the XM radio is just not to be believed. Any faults are minor and insignificant
    What some of the dealers are saying here in the NW, is the crew cab models have been the hot sellers. I suspect that had more to do with the shortage than the strike. GMC held over the crew cab Sonoma for a year, but that was a mistake as they are not selling very well even with lots of incentives. The dealer I bought from still has two crew cab Sonomas on his lot that he has had since last fall. He can't keep a crew cab Canyon in stock. (except for a base model)
    I just turned over 5600 miles on my commute home tonight. After 3 months and no problems (crew 4WD Z71) Filled up last night - 21mpg in mixed driving.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    GM may be doing you a favor. The new Tacoma and Frontier are supposed to pack 240 to 250 hp and 270 to 280 lb ft of torque. My guess is that they will also have better quality interiors and better back seats for people and cargo.

My suggestion would be to cancel your order and wait until the Fall so you can compare the GM twins side by side with the new Toyota and Nissan. By that point, if you still want a Canyon or Colorado, there should be more available on dealers lots with the typical huge incentives that GM has to offer in order to sell their cars in the face of superior competition, saving you money. It might also save you some potential buyers remorse so that you don't end up kicking yourself when you see the new Tacoma and Frontier.
  • sporttbirdsporttbird Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I have actually considered this as an option, with the Frontier, Tacoma and Dakota all being redesigned for '05. I have thought about asking them to look for a dealer swap, but the one option that I put on my absolutely have to have list was the side airbags and any searches that I have done in my area and even surrounding states have yielded only 1 with side airbags, and it had several features that I don't care to pay for. My biggest problem is that I want a fully loaded Crew cab 4wd without the Z71 package. I simply don't want to pay and exta $1500-2000 for a suspension/skidplate/tire package that I have no use for, I'd rather spend that on the heated leather seats.
        If the other new trucks are available early enough, I will be considering them. If not, I have a bit of a timing issue that could be a problem as I will soon be needing the extra passenger room for our second child. The extended Cab S-10 just doesn't cut it. I had buyers remorse before we ordered the Canyon, (I really would have loved a smaller version of the Silverado SS, awd, 18" wheels, maybe turbo charge the motor?), but that wasn't to be. Maybe next time.
  • darth_tomasdarth_tomas Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the specifics of the Canyon wheels? I know that they are 6-5.5 bolt pattern. What I am wondering is whether the offset is that much different than the Sierra. I am haggling over a Crew and would like to put 17" Sierra wheels on it if they won't be damaging due to offset differences. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
    Hole pattern is the same as Sierra. I have a set of beautiful 16" Niche wheels I ran on my 99 Sierra and they bolt right onto the Canyon with no clearance issues. The Canyon came with 15" wheels and 65 series tires. I put 60 series tires on the 16" wheels and they were the same diameter.
    Check the width and height for clearances - as long as you are close in overall dimensions to the original Canyon wheels and tires you should be okay.
    I just returned from a trip to Montana. Overall I put almost 1600 miles on the Canyon and consumed almost 75 gallons of regular. Average mpg equaled 21.4 mpg.
    Best mileage was Troutdale, OR to Post Falls, ID where I got 23.8 mpg (65 – 75 mph with some cross winds.)
    Worst mileage was 18 mpg in mixed driving. (City, hauling stuff, a little 4WD, a little hwy.)
    I ran 70-75 mph most of the time. (WA = 70 mph, ID & MT = 75 mph)
    Hwy mileage seemed most affected by head winds and having to run the AC.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I have now seen a few Canyons around and I have to say it's the best looking compact pick up on the road. I'm not a big pick up fan, but if I was buying, the Canyon would be my choice. The guy at the dealer said they are having trouble getting supply. Is there a shortage of trucks? The lot I was at yesterday only had 1.
  • harcharharchar Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting riled up just thinking about this..but if I can save somebody else some hassles....Knowing GM was replacing the S-10/S-15 I latched onto this truck more than a year ago digging up everything I could find out about it..and being a GM guy all my life.. I wanted one.Guess what....BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT. Got truck in March...didnt drive it till last week of April.....Door latch mechanism fell into door...back to dealer(in Florida on vacation),blower motor resiter burnt up...back to dealer..Tailgate wouldn't open..back to dealer..hard shifting into reverse (5 spd)..back to dealer...rattles....oh well....last but not least.....engine light....missing..shaking....back to dealer...clean injecters....3 miles down the road....same thing...back to dealer...hmmm...engineering problems.....bad valve springs?????.....GM bulletin out on it...(5 CYL)One more try (they get 4 in NY) I invoke the NYS lemon law....This truck looks good...thats it. The motor sucks compared to the 4.3 liter V-6. Truck is built out of thinner gauge sheet metals....Somebody(s) should lose their job(s) for this....This trucked replaced a 4X4 S-15 Sonoma (1995) with 162000 miles on it..that I plowed with....this truck doesnt even come close to that truck...in anything except looks. I'm 53 and have had GM's my whole life, Vettes, trucks, cars,you name it....I bought a new Vette in '98 and have never had one bit of trouble....this thing has 6500 miles on it and its ready for the scrap heap as far as I'm concerned. The dealer feels bad about it..as my family has bought vehicles for YEARS from them....and they have tried...to no avail. GM BLEW IT ON THIS ONE.... dont buy one till they get it right....
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    Hmmmm, I bought mine(4WD crew cab) in February and I've got almost 10500 miles on it. I have had no issues and get decent mileage. (typically about 21mpg in my regular commute which is about 80% hwy)
    I'm very happy with my Canyon.
  • sundaydriversundaydriver Member Posts: 1
    Picked up our new 4x4 canyon extended cab pickup friday night, and it's already in the shop the second time for an intermittent whirring noise that the dealership says GM describes as 'a problem with air conditioning fluid running through the lines' - also, isn't it gas, and not fluid - dealership says that GM is 'working on a solution', and that as soon as one is available, they'll fix it. In the meantime, it whirs every few minutes, kind of sounds like there's a muffled cell phone ringing, just once at a time, somewhere in the cabin. On our way to pick it up again, thinking about what our options are.
  • durango5o8durango5o8 Member Posts: 10
    Is it kind of a harmonic sound? Almost like a spring vibrating in a sense? There is a little bit of discussion on the Colorado board.
    I haven't taken mine in yet, only 1800 miles. I'll ask about it, but no sense in taking it in if they don't have a fix yet.

I don't know about your truck, but my sound isn't a distraction, especially if the radio is on. Bugs the heck out of me knowing it is there, though. Hopefully they have a fix soon. Good luck.
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    I have a Canyon crew cab LSE for a 24-hour test drive. Got caught in a torrential rain storm this p.m. and had to pull over to wait it out. Might have been a blessing. When I got home, I discovered that the carpet on the entire left side of the truck, from the firewall to the back seat, was absolutely sopping wet. I mean if I push down on the carpet with my hand, it forms a puddle and the liner makes squishing and gurgling noises. The leak doesn't seem to be coming from the door seals, but from somewhere underneath. Up to this discovery I really liked the truck and the incentives. But this has the makings of a bad case of buyer's remorse, I'm afraid. Have any of you had leak problems with your Canyons?

P.S. I didn't find the Canyon thread immediately and posted this question over on the Colorado board earler. Sorry for being redundant.
    Had my Canyon Crew cab 4wd since February, we typically get a fair amount of rain here in the NW; no leaks on mine. I suspect it might be coming in either under the dash through the firewall (bad seal) or bad rear wind seal.. Since it's not your rig, I'd send it back to the dealer and let them deal with it.
    Thanks, ocmike. I gave it back to the embarrassed dealer (who agrees with your diagnosis)and continued the hunt.

I have another question: My dealer has identified two extended cab Canyon Z85 SLEs, both 5 cylinder, one with 4wd, the other with 2wd plus traction control and a locking diff. The 4wd is $600 more than the 2wd. From a strictly practical viewpoint, the 2wd with TC and diff would probably be fine for me. BUT -- 4wds hold their value around here and may come in handy during the New England winter. Also the GMC Web site says there's not much difference in mpg between 2wd and 4wd. (?!?) I'm also thinking that spending the additional $600 now would pay off down the road IF I decided to sell or trade. Any advice from you Canyon owners? What's the overall mpg you get on yours (2wd or 4wd)? I did like the quiet, car-like ride of the 2wd I test drove. Is the 4wd ride comparable? Or not? The only 4wd that's available for a test drive is a jacked up Z71 with the largest tires, and I don't think it would be the equivalent of the feel of the Z85 model. So thanks for any advice you can give me.
    I drove both and have the 4WD crew cab. Both rode about the same and were equally quiet. I've got almost 12k on mine and it cruises nice. My daily commute(80% freeway) I get 20-21mpg. I've gotten as high as 24mpg running 65-75mph and have never drive it conservative enough to see what I could really squeeze out of it.
    Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between the Canyon and Colorado, other than the different branding treatment of the front end?

Here in the NE, Canyons seem to be priced somewhat higher, and there are more Colorados to choose from. Why limit my choice if the only difference is what the guy ahead of me sees in his mirror? Thanks.
    I looked at both and as is usual with GM its basically a difference in front end and interior trim. The GMC has (in my opinion) a bit better fit and finish and the materials looked a bit better.
  • jbmayesjbmayes Member Posts: 4
    I have had mine in the shop 3 times for this problem. They have replaced the expansion valve in the ac and also the engine PCM. The Colorado/Canyon have a new ac system that is controlled by the PCM instead of a pressure cycle switch. The shop has talked to GM on all 3 times it was in the shop and they have not fixed it yet. The final answer was the it is NORMAL along with the fact the system blows very cold and then tempid air all the time. The cycle seems to be every 20-30 seconds which is when I feel the very cold air along with hearing this whirring noise. I have seen others have decribed this noise as a wet finger going around the rim of a glass. The guys at GM say it is the gas passing thru the expansion valve when the compressor comes on. The PCM then turns off the compressor when the evaporator gets to 32 degress to keep it from freezing. Since the entire system is so small (ie effort to reduce use of R-134a) this happens very fast, hence the 20-30 second cycles. Quoting GM "Them problem is the system has no mass, making it get very cold fast, then it has to warm up to keep from turing into a block of ice."

The service mgr and I drove 3 2005's as they didn't have any 2004's left. All 3 did the warm/cold cycle and only one really had a noticeable whirring noise. The Engineers answer for that was "Well they all should have it, I can't tell you why the 2005's had less noise than the 2004's we have not made any changes" And from what I gather, they are not going to make any. I will continue to talk to the service mgr every time I have the truck in for service and I hope all you do they same.
  • jbmayesjbmayes Member Posts: 4
    My 2004 Canyon has a very weak AC. Seems to blow very cold to tempid air all the time. Since I live in MO where it is humid this make it worse. Since the tempid air is humid. This means to remain somewhat comfortable I have to leave it on Recir. I don't this is acceptable but GM says it is normal, but they had dealer replace the expansion vavle and Engine PCM.

I have had mine in the shop 3 times for this problem. They have replaced the expansion valve in the ac and also the engine PCM. The Colorado/Canyon have a new ac system that is controlled by the PCM instead of a pressure cycle switch. The shop has talked to GM on all 3 times it was in the shop and they have not fixed it yet. The final answer was the it is NORMAL along with the fact the system blows very cold and then tempid air all the time. The cycle seems to be every 20-30 seconds which is when I feel the very cold air along with hearing this whirring noise. I have seen others have decribed this noise as a wet finger going around the rim of a glass. The guys at GM say it is the gas passing thru the expansion valve when the compressor comes on. The PCM then turns off the compressor when the evaporator gets to 32 degress to keep it from freezing. Since the entire system is so small (ie effort to reduce use of R-134a) this happens very fast, hence the 20-30 second cycles. Quoting GM "Them problem is the system has no mass, making it get very cold fast, then it has to warm up to keep from turing into a block of ice."

The service mgr and I drove 3 2005's as they didn't have any 2004's left. All 3 did the warm/cold cycle and only one really had a noticeable whirring noise. The Engineers answer for that was "Well they all should have it, I can't tell you why the 2005's had less noise than the 2004's we have not made any changes" And from what I gather, they are not going to make any. I will continue to talk to the service mgr every time I have the truck in for service and I hope all you do they same.
  • mynewtruckmynewtruck Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with mine. It is being fixed by the DLR. The Problem (Quality Control at the Plant) On both sides of the vehicle right below the bottom of the wind shield there are 2 holes 1 on each side of the truck. On the passenger side the antenna occupies the hole on the drivers side nothing not even a plug. A water test was done on the truck. OK Now
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Any problems with the Canyon to report?
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    I've had an S-10 4x4 for a winter vehicle for the last 8 years. I wasn't really in the market for a new truck, however the glut of rebates got me looking around one Saturday afternoon. It was the classic day to buy a car, as the experts would say. About 10 degrees, blowing snow, and not another customer in sight. The dealership decided to make me quite an offer, I guess, so they could at least salvage the day with one sale.

I'm now the owner of a 2005 Canyon Z-71 SL, 4x4 regular cab. I've had it for 9 weeks and 2500 miles now, enough time to give it a fair evaluation. The only mechanical problem has been the failure of a switch for the courtesey lights, which in turn kept the interior lights on, as well as signaling the "driver information center" on the dash that the driver's door was open, although it wasn't. Unfortunately, this failure happened on a weekend, so I had to do a little diagnosis work myself (I disconnected the switch). However, the dealer promptly fixed it a couple of days later.

In all honesty, I can't say that I'm "blown away" by the truck. It's nice, however I have a few dislikes. First, the cab is noisy. Not "squeeks and rattles" noisy , but wind noise at 50 MPH and up. By comparison, my S-10, believe it or not, was as quiet as a church. Secondly, while I can find a very comfortable driving position, the steering wheel blocks the upper 40% of the dashboard. You know, the part of the speedometer where you spend most of your driving...40-70 MPH.

My other real disappointment is in GM's choice of wheels and/or tires. First off, the tires are Generals, and according to the "Tire Rack" surveys, they are POOR performers, and they also have balance problems. Secondly, while the tires are pretty big, at 265/75-15s, the rims are only 7" wide. That's a fairly wide, 30.5" tall tire, that just squirms all over, with that narrow a rim. I didn't expect the Canyon to handle like my Corvette, however I expected it to at least corner as well as my previous S-10. It doesn't, especially right now, with the snow tires on it. I'm looking for some wider 15" rims, to help the snow tires work a little better. I do drive the truck somewhat in the summer, so I already have a set of wider, 16" rims on hand to use with some basic, all season tires. (I already sold off the Generals)

The gas mileage is decent, however at this early point in time, I can't say the I-5 is a gutsy engine. In all fairness, I'm comparing it to a well broken-in V-6. It does have power, if you rev it, like most OHC engines need to do. It just doesn't have the low end torque of the previous V-6, so going up mild hills without downshifting isn't possible. That isn't such a big deal, except when that hill is snow covered, and the sudden downshift gives you some power, which then slides the rear end out.

In summation, I didn't want the bulk of a full sized truck, or an extended cab compact truck. For that reason, I was limited to the Canyon/Colorado or the Ford Ranger. Most of the reviews about the Ford are neutral, in that it's a truck, and never lets you forget it, but a fairly reliable truck at that. I have two friends with Rangers, one says his gas milage is only OK, while the other says it's not too good. So, I went with the Canyon. Like I said, it's OK, so maybe it will grow on me....or, maybe my expectations were a little too high.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    The problem is the .5 lb freon in the system, until they change that nothing will help. My 99 has 1.75 lb freon and is a meat locker. My next truck will not be a Canyon if it has that poor excuse for an a/c. GM is trying hard to make Toyota #1.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    The GMC seems to cost a bit more but my complaint with the Colorado is that I want the leather covered steering wheel and side moldings and to get them I have to get a colored trim package that has body colored bumpers etc. I can just order them on the Canyon.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    You might want to have your wind noise problem looked at. My 05 Colorado ext cab is very quiet at highway speeds with no noticeable wind noise. I test drove a regular cab and it had bad wind noise starting around 50 mph. Obviously, something was wrong with its weatherstriping and I'm willing to bet something is wrong with yours too.
    I appreciate your input, however I recall that I read a road test of the Canyon prior to purchasing mine, and the testers did mention the wind noise situation. I guess that I didn't really pay close attention to the testers comments, as they didn't say it was severe, just noisy.

Since the noise appears, at least to me, to be right around ear level, but behind me, I'm assuming that there is something about the aerodynamics of the cab that generates this noise around the back window. Since you have an extended cab, you're further away from the window, so you might not be hearing it...Or, the added length of the longer cab changes the airflow characteristics.
  • dannygdannyg Member Posts: 131
    Hello, just curious if anyone has heard anything about a hybrid version of the Canyon/Colorado. I read recently that GM released a hybrid Silverado, has there been talk of a hybrid for the smaller pickup? To me, it would be great to getter better MPG and also have the 120V outlets.

Thanks for any info.

Dan
  • fmhopsonfmhopson Member Posts: 1
    There is a SI Bulletin on the a/c ringing noise, # 04-01-38-012A Took mine in last week and it looks like they changed the evaporator cooler. It took care of the ringing problem. The dealer had changed the expansion valve back in Oct. 2004 but that didn't help. Hope this helps you!
    This past weekend, I finally got some free time to attack the wind noise in my Canyon that I previously mentioned. I purchased some of the sound deadener mat that the "stereo guys" use in their cars, and applied it to the rear pillars and the back wall of the cab. I also sprayed the floor of the truck, both top and bottom with liqiud Dynamat.

This made the cab noticably quieter. HOWEVER, the wind noise, which is the most annoying, is still present, although to a lesser degree. Spraying both sides of the floor gave both sound insulation, as well as some rust protection. You can easily tell that the lower portion of the cab is quieter, but the noise is still up around "ear level". Maybe I'll have to see what kind of sound barrier can be put above the headliner.

I just don't know how this glaring problem got past the engineers, however....
    Glad to see this forum up again. Had my Crew Cab Canyon 4WD since February 2004. Over 17k miles. The only issue I have had is basically annoying - the outside thermometer (read out is in the ADRVM) is slow to work after sitting a while on warm days. Basically if I park it i the morning and its 52F out. Late after work I hop in and take off it still reads 52F, slowly increments until after about 15-20 minutes - it pops to the right temp... I'm having the service dept check on any updates in TSBs as this is supposedly a known issue.
    Other than that, I got rid of the junky looking wheels and General tires after about 500 miles and have had no problems. Good cruiser and has been very reliable.
  • kazoo_bluekazoo_blue Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Colorado about a year ago and I can attest to what I consider excellent mileage. On our trips from Kalamazoo--Lexington, Ky we average just over 27mpg. We drive about 5 over posted speed limits. This is my first pick-up so I wasn't sure what to expect with the mileage. I think that overall it has been a wise decision to buy the Colorado/Canyon. The only problem I've had is with the wind noise on the pass. side of the cab. It is pretty much fixed now with some adjustments the dlr made to the door. Good Luck and enjoy!
  • terrystaderterrystader Member Posts: 2
    I have seen the outside temp issue too... any resolution?

I have had mine for 1300 miles and so far I love it. Much more expensive to fill up than my 98 Blazer!

:)
  • terrystaderterrystader Member Posts: 2
    I planning on drilling some holes for through the roof antennas (ham radio)... has any one got any insight for getting above the headliner? Anything published on the internet about this vehicle?

Thanks in advance.... :shades:
    I talked with the service manager when I was in for an oil change and he said they have been changing out the sensors (located up in front near the radiator.). He was saying this has so far fixed the issue on all the ones they have had in. I plan to make an appointment to get mine swapped out. (warranty of course)
  • svencanadasvencanada Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone else is having similar problems.
    I have the 2DR, 4WD, 2800 4cyl. 2004 Canyon
    Have had it just over a year and just turned 12,000 miles.

1. Tires are almost shot, half the tread is gone and the sidewalls are beginning to
    show malformations, (Wavy look)

2. Windshield has developed a stress crack, which dealer insists is from a stone chip and won't replace under warranty even though there is no visible chip.

3. Loss of engine power. I know, I never expected a lot from a 4cyl., but I have noticed a significant drop in power. Transmission is spending a lot of time in the lower gears, higher RPM's.

4. Poor gas milelage. When I first bought the truck, I was averaging 26-30mpg. Now I'm lucky if I can get 24mpg. This is pretty unacceptable considering it a 4cyl. (Possibly linked to #3)?

5. Extensive rusting. Only 12,000miles and rust is very visble on the leaf springs, control arm and towing kit.

6. Noisy as hell. Wind noise, engine noise, road noise... in addition the damn fan rattles around like its got a playing card jammed down it.

Now I know its no Sierra, but I really expected a lot of this little truck.
    Anyone else with these problems?

TTYL
    Sven :confuse:
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    05 Colorado Ext cab 2wd 4 banger 5 speed here.

1. It's a known fact that General tires are the cheapest crappiest OE tires around. My tires started showing a wavy indentation in the sidewall from the beginning. Tall sidewall tires tend to have this issue but under most circumstances it doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong with the tire.

2. No stress cracks here. I would have to see the crack in order to tell if it was caused by a rock.

3. No change in power on my engine in 4700 miles.

4. I'm not sure what kind of driving you are doing, but your original mileage was excellent and way above average. Keep in mind it's a tall truck with horrible aerodynamics and a large engine (it may be a four cylinder but its the size of the original S10's V6; size is the enemy of fuel economy). Plus, you have the added weight and friction of 4wd. A 24 mpg average is more then acceptable considering your 4wd is only rated at 19/23 if its auto or 17/23 if its manual. The best I have ever averaged was 23 mpg but normally it hovers at 21 (my truck is rated at 21/27). Granted, this is 100% city/suburban driving. I haven't driven on the highway for a long distance yet so I'm not sure how it does there. At any rate, your mileage is normal. This is not an economy car. That being said, your drop in mileage can be attributed to spending lots more time at higher rpms.

5. Rust is normal on these parts. This is common pressed steel, not stainless or rust-proof steel. You will always see surface rust here, especially when you live in cold or beach areas.

6. I have heard the regular cab is noisier then other models. My extended cab's wind noise only becomes noticeable after 70mph and even then it's not bad. The ride is extremely quiet. The engine does get loud when pushed hard but is quiet otherwise. Your noisy fan is probably caused by a leaf stuck in the fan blades.

So overall, I only see 2 possible problems with your truck. The rest is either normal or just the design of it. Try to enjoy your truck. It looks like you are searching hard to find fault with it.
    I have crew cad 4WD and have not really had any issues - bought in Feb 2004 and have 17.5k miles.
    1) Generals are about as low budget as they come - mine are in the garage collecting dust since I took them off a few hundred miles into ownership.
    2) This sometimes happens - I had one on a previous vehicle. Mine was replaced under warranty.
    3) Sounds like something is not working in the electronic control system.
    4) My mileage has stayed steady - worst was first couple thousand miles during break in.
    5) This is normal on these parts; the rust actually protects the parts from further oxidation. Unless you are in area using lots of salt or by the ocean, this should not be a concern.
    6) My crew cab is as quiet as most cars and better than most trucks.

I've had both full size & small trucks. This Canyon drives more like a full size- smooth, good ride, reasonably quiet. :D
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    You are right about General tires. General Motors puts sorry tires on a lot of their products. I bought a 2004 Suburban leather and loaded out. It had Firestone tires which the Firestone/Bridgestone dealer told me they were cheaper tires. My experience with Ford is that they generally use good tires. My F150 came with Michelin.
  • gjmcgjmc Member Posts: 5
    For those that are frustrated over wind noise coming from one side of the other rear of the cab, look at the bed on that side relative to the rear of the cab. In my case, I only had noise from the passenger rear. I noticed that the bed was sticking out about 1/8 to 1/4 beyond the rear of the cab on that side and was about 1/8 to 1/4 in behind the cab on the drivers side. I loosened the bolts that hold the bed down and adjusted the bed so it's properly centered. Problem solved. The bed sticking out beyond the cab produces air turbulence driving down the highway that you hear in through the rear door hinge area and the flow-thru vent. Good luck.
    That's a good suggestion. I never thougt of that, so I'll take a close look at mine. The noise is really annoying!
  • exgmcexgmc Member Posts: 5
    I just got rid of 2004 Canyon 2 wheel drive 5 cyl. I hope yours is better than mine The squeaks drove me crazy and the interior is not up to par. I had problems withthe brakes being too touchy in the morning damp air. They would grab so hard they would throw you forward. GMC would not fix. The rear differential makes clunking noises and feels loose. GMC will not fix Had several computor malfunctions which GMC did fix. The horn just broke and I decided to buy trcuk of the year 2005 Toyota 4 x 4 V6 SR5.

good luck
    Hi,
    It's me again with tthe 2004 Canyon. I had wind noise on the passenger side door that drove nuts too. GMC fixed it by putting white powder all over the weather stripping to find the leak. It would have been nice of them to clean it off before they returned it back to me. Three months after I owned the Canyon I noticed the driver door part that hold the door from opening too far was falling off. I tightened it up myself. Then I noticed the door was rubbing the apint off of the rocker panel where the door and the rocker meet when it closes. GMC adjusted the door, but now I have wind noise on this door. I lived with that for 8 more months and traded it in for a new truck 2005 Toyota 4 x 4
    You might want to think again. I just unloaded a 2004 Canyon SLE and bought a 2005 4 x 4 Toyota Tacoma. You can't even comapre the quality of a GMC to the Toyota. The GMC is very poorly put together.
    I bought one new in 2004 and had the SLE 5 cyl and had nothing but stupid problems with it. The interior is squeaky, the brakes grab ,wind noise, the differential is noisy, and is electrical issues.
    I now have a 2005 Toyota 4 X 4 SR5 night and day . you get what you pay for
    4 negative posts in 20 minutes....Guess you didn't like your Canyon, eh??
    You must have gone through the entire forum postings - It is interesting you are replying to a message I posted almost 16 months ago.
    Guess I got lucky my Canyon has treated me well and I really have no squeaks or rattles unless I am bouncing down some rough dirt & gravel roads/trails. I've got well over 17k miles and 15 months of ownership. :D
This discussion has been closed.