Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shifty, I need your help!

Comments

• I found a 76 cobra 2 with a 302 in it the guy wants 2000 for it. The only thing he said is wrong with it is the carborater. i am not a man with alot of money to put into a car every month and was wondering if i should just get it or pass on it
  • I don't like to buy cars that have been "diagnosed" but not fixed. This makes me very suspicious, as if the owner found something out that was more serious.

If it's "just" the carburetor, why doesn't he "just" get it fixed? And how would he know it was the carburetor---there's no machine that you plug in that lights up "Yep, it's the carburator!".

Someone's guessing here and it looks like you get stuck with the bill whether they are right or wrong. Could be a bad valve, head gasket, rotten gas tank, who knows?
  • ndancendance Posts: 323
    in the case of a 1976 Cobra II, I think passing might be the moral thing to do (unless it's an old Kemp race car)...I guess there is something to be said for rust.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,356
    Is about what that "Cobra" really is.

Unless, of course, a person REALLY happens to like them?
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    Only if it has that cooool disco-fire-snake hood decal! ; )

[This was the subject of probably-more-than-necessary posts on another Mustang thread, much to the dismay of many...but I enjoyed it...]
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,594
    ...they looked kinda cool when Farah Fawcett, Jacquelyn Smith, and various other Angels drove them ;-) I think Kate Jackson drove a Pinto though, didn't she?
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    Poor Kate Jackson...not only did she have to drive the Pinto, but always went undercover as a librarian or an accountant (while the other two were usually models, dancers or high-class call girls)
  • I posted this in the 3 series forum and was told to come here, but I'm having a little trouble navigating this site. So I thought I'd try again. I have a 1978 3 series BMW 320i and I'm trying to find out what it's worth, but I'm not having any luck. I tried the kelly blue book as well as edmunds, but they only go to 1980. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank You!
    Michelle
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,664
    On a car like this it depends totally on condition.

A #4 car is FAIR, and is a driver with some small dents, some rips and tears in the upholstery and perhaps some faded paint. "running but needs help".

A 3# car is GOOD and is a clean daily driver that looks very good from 20 feet away but as you get close you see dings and maybe a hole in the carpet and dull chrome and it might need a few mechanical things.

A #2 car is EXCELLENT and looks really sharp inside and out---a "no excuses" car.

So if you could tell me the condition I can give you a value:

For instance:

BMW 320i

#4 condition about $900

#3 condition about $1,800

#2 condition about $3,200

Hope this helps
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Posts: 259
    I want to keep forever. I purchased a brand new 2001 Mustang GT and a brand new 2002 V6 Mustang. Since I purchased each of these vehicles brand new, I only drive the 02 V6 Mustang as my daily driver. It now has 33,090 original miles on it. The 2001 Mustang GT has only 2,365 original miles on it. I drive the 01 GT ONLY during the summertime. It has never been out in the snow and salty roads up here. I garage both of the Mustang in an open carport garage all year round.

I want to be able to keep each of these 2 cars "forever". I religiously maintain both cars.

Do you think that they will both ever be worth a lot of money like the Mustangs that were built during the 60's and early 70's? Or will they have the same worth as all the Fox bodied Mustangs that were built during the 80's and early 90's? I see that the 1982 to 1993 Mustang 4 cyl., 6 cyl., and V8 5.0L Mustangs that are all in good condition sell for between $3,500 to $10,000+. Do you think that the newer 99-04 body style Mustangs that are both regular V6's and regular V8 GT's will ever be worth the same or even more than the Fox Body 1982-1993 Mustangs?
    I would like to know your opinion and analysis regarding this topic.
    I am hoping that my 01 Mustang GT and that my 02 V6 Mustang will be worth "at least" around $10,000 or more after another 15 years from now if I take care of them regardless of how many miles that I put on any of them. What do you think? Will they go up in value? Or will they only be worth $3,000 to $5,000 in the future 15 years from now? If you look at the future value of money, $3,000 and $5,000 will NOT be worth a lot of money if inflation and the cost of goods keep going up like they are. Do you think that under today's current value of money that both of my Mustangs will be worth $10,000+ within the next 15 years? I think that $5,000 and $10,000 dollars in 15 years will be worth around today's $1,000 to $3,000. What do you think?
    The problem with predicting the future is that you have to use the trends of the past, which may or may not hold true in the future.

IF the trends of the past hold up in the future, then it doesn't seem likely that a modern Mustang will be worth a whole lot of money, especially not the V6. The reason is that the original Mustangs came in a larger variety (3 body styles) and later on in the evolution of the 60s, various models and customs (Mach 1, Shelbys, etc.) Also modern Mustangs are made in rather large numbers and larger numbers of them will survive than in the past (because modern cars are far more durable).

Essentially, price is driven by supply and demand. With so many Mustangs out there, supply will be high. Will demand in ten years exceed even a large supply? I personally don't see the market factors that would drive a high supply/high demand situation----unless all V8s were banned by law except old ones, or something strange like that...

So low supply, high demand + production rarity + high horsepower are the magic qualities one needs to have a real strong collectible car. Your Mustangs have some but not all of the above---the more the better.

I'm sure you'd have no trouble selling your cars in the future (especially the low miles V8) but I see it more like "high blue book" rather than "high collector car value".
    Do you feel the same way towards the value of the 1980-1993 Mustangs? Would you say that in 15 years from now the 1999-2004 Mustang body style will equal the value of what the 1980-1993 Mustangs are selling for today? That's really what I was trying to ask you in the previous post that I made.

I feel that the 1980-1993 Mustangs that are in good condition which are being sold today are being sold for $4,000 to $10,000+. Will my 01 GT and 02 V6 Mustangs have the same compatable dollar value, but only adjusted to whatever the inflation rate will be in the future to today's 1980-1993 V6 and GT Mustangs 15 years from now?
    If they were stickshift V8s then yes, that would be a reasonable assumption I think. But automatic V6s will be at the bottom of that price range.

There comes a point when ANY clean, good running coupe "bottoms out" and can't be worth less than the bottom. I think a V6 Mustang coupe probably can't go much below $3,000 if it's clean and well cared for.

The problem of course with the 5.0 Mustangs of the 80s is that 95% of them are so beat to death you wonder if they are worth anything anymore. But that's true even of a 1965 Mustang. The difference between a '65 rustbucket convertible and a very sharp one can be $20,000 variation for the same car!

The Short Answer? Nobody knows but I'd never bet on a V6.
    Both of my Mustangs are 5 speed manuals.
    You are right about most Mustangs being "beat". I pamper both of my Mustangs. I hope that the V6 will be worth between $4,000 to $8,000 after its value bottoms out and when its value starts going up again. And as for the GT, I am hoping that it will be worth $10,000-$15,000 after its value bottoms out and its value starts going up again. The figures that I am giving to you are adjusted figures with inflation 15-20 years from now. If a beat up 1982-1993 Mustang GT is worth $5,000-$10,000 today, then my GT should be worth at least $10,000-$15,000+ in good condition 15 years from now if you adjust the dollar value to the inflation which will be present 15 years from now. The same thing goes for the value of my V6 15-20 years from now. It should be worth at least $5,000-$10,000 with future inflation rates.
    Also, most of these cars get totalled and beat and not many of the 99-04 body style Mustangs will be on the road after 10 to 15 years from now. This helps bring the value up more on the 99-04 V6 and GT Mustangs in the future.
  • I am in the market for a fun A to B rig that will perform well with the occasional romp off road (not a daily commuter). I found a 1989 FJ 62 170K original miles. Only 20K since new factory Toyota engine was installed. The body is great; new paint (no signs of rust). I would gut the interior and start over again, new suspension, etc....but all in all it looks like a solid rig. I am going to test drive it today, what are some questions I should ask or things I should look for to determine if this is a good buy? Also is $8500 reasonable? Thanks
    Wayyyyy overpriced, almost double book value. You can do better than this, easily I think.
    Even with a new-ish engine, $5,000 should be more than enough of a premium.
  • lemmerlemmer Posts: 2,676
    Do those old Land Cruisers have the typical Toyota reliability?
    Yeah, it's a Toyota, but you know 170K is still 170K. Most cars are pretty dead by 175K-225K unless they have been restored. So the "new" engine is still in a very old body and drivetrain. Given the limits of metallurgy and the life span of most components, all hell can break loose at 170K, even on a Toyota.
  • Thanks, I really appreciate your insight. I was on the fence with this one, but this pushed me over. It is wayyyyy to expensive. I still would like to find a quality cruiser someday, but perhaps this isn't the one for me. Again, many thanks for your help.
    There are a LOT of these cars out there. Just shop around, bring your suitcase full of money and bargain hard.