Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,444
    I was looking at the recent pics of TSX. The sedan looks nice, but the wagon sure has a droopy rear. Why is the current trend to make the roof slope down towards the back? It makes the car uglier (especially when it is exaggerated by the windows getting smaller with more space above them) cuts down on rear head room, and cuts down on cargo space. Mazda 6, audi and Passat wagons do not do this (or at least not much) and they are some of the nicest looking wagons out there.

http://auto.ascii24.com/auto24/auto24.cgi?source=issue/2002/1011/npr_kt1011_04_11.html

• robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Could this be the reason? (Aerodynamics)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,444
    but they exagerate it by making the windows not go up as high, and sedans look nothing like the swooping bird with their trunks sticking out, yet they manage .26 drag.
  • jjmanjjman Posts: 77
    I think that they made the tsx's wagon longer than the sedan. Mainly to get more utility out of it. IMO this has made it ugly. Darn and I was hoping to get one too
    The wagon is longer than the sedan (187" versus 183.6"), still shorter than American Accord (189.5"). It also sits on a longer wheelbase (105.1" versus 106.9"), same as 98-02 American Accord Sedan.
    Here are a few pictures...
    Exterior-Side View
    Exterior-Top View
    Exterior-Front Profile
    Interior-Top view
    Interior-Cargo
    my point. If they had made it shorter the wagon would probably look alot better. A sport wagon is what I want like the IS or the BMW wagon but for a lot less money. Now I may have to consider either the sedan or expand my budget
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    I agree, the wagon is a bit too long. Obviously they did it for utility, but it looks more like a little hearse than a sport wagon (I'm assuming that's what Honda wants to call it).

The Mazda6 wagon is more well proportioned.
  • hunter001hunter001 Posts: 851
    I agree about the Audi wagons but disagree about the Passat wagon looking great. The Passat Sedan has a classy look, which unfortunately is not carried over to the Passat wagon. The Audis look GREAT however. JMHO.
  • hunter001hunter001 Posts: 851
    ..in the back, does detract from the sporting look.

For instance, the Infiniti G35 Coupe looks Fantastic and well proportioned, while the G35 sedan with quite a bit more overhang (when compared to the coupe), does not look as good.

Later...AH
    I think honda missed out (again!!) in making a great sport wagon. The sedan looks great all they had to do was put a little extra on top of the trunk and that would have been fine.
    If you want to talk about a good looking wagon the crysler/mercedes pacifica/gt looks fine. too bad its a crysler though
  • artdechoartdecho Posts: 337
    First of all, I think there's definitely room for the TSX in Canada, as there's a big gap between the EL (tops out around 23K) and the TL (around 37K), so the TSX should slot right in the middle.
    (The RSX goes from 24 to just over 30K). I was really looking forward to the wagon and hoping Acura would bring it here as well but after seeing it, I'm not so sure. What's with the "Caprice-like" rear overhang? And, although a sport wagon should be sporty, if you're going to get people out of their gas-sucking SUV's, you'd better raise the hip-point and make it taller...
    say halfway between the height of a traditional wagon and an SUV. I copied a photo into the "Paint" program and stretched it vertically about 120%.......seemed to improve the hearse-like looks, though the overhang still looks too long. The one-touch folding seats are nice (but the Mazda 6 has them too) but who needs a power tailgate with struts hidden in the roof, making the inside roof lower and taking more height out of the cargo area? The Mazda 6, while vertically challenged as well, looks a whole lot better and will come with both a 4 and a 6 as well....seems to be the better choice at this point.
  • 1wiseguy1wiseguy Posts: 120
    If you are like me and wont drive an auto trans, you'd have to move up to the TL-S, with an MSRP of 41K. I agree, there's a lot of room for a 5 speed sporty sedan in the low-mid 30 range in Canada. I plan on getting a new car in the spring and am looking at the Mazda 6, the TSX and possibly the Maxima.
  • petpadpetpad Posts: 153
    Hi folks - I've been watching the TSX for a while and I am excited. I drive a 5-sp Acura Vigor and nothing has ever excited me in the Acura line-up since then, save for the NSX of course. This summer I drove an Alfa 156, a real blast of a sports sedan, and I swear the new 2003 Euro Accord is a knock-off of the Alfa, which has been going strong since 1999 or so. The lines are almost identical and the Euro Accord is obviously a direct competitor for the Alfa. Of course, we cant have the Alfa here in Canada...dang. Anyway, I looove my Vigor, but being a 1992, and few low miles Vigor left around, I have to think trade... and the TSX 5-sp may just be the right ticket..

Pet
    1992 Vigor LS 5-sp
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    What's the latest info on availability date of the TSX?
  • seafseaf Posts: 339
    Last I heard was spring 2003 as 2004 model, sounds reasonable since the RSX came out in spring rather than traditional fall.
  • at the NAIAS in January and be on sale by late February or early March based on what I have read.
  • akumaakuma Posts: 70
    They're all Hondas anyway.
    I was following a Vigor couple of days ago, and the same thought crossed my mind. TSX is its true replacement, albeit I doubt it will carry an Inline-5.
  • in the November volume of CAR. These two comments pretty much sum it up:

"Styling, though, is tame." and "...the Accord is absolutely middle of the road dynamically."

They do say the five speed is a "honey" and that both engines are "crisp and smooth".
    Middle of the road dynamics has been a Honda thing. May be not if it were a Type-R model. Which model this they test drive? Type-S?
  • a 2.0l Euro model and a 2.4L JDM model. They said the JDM model was "floaty"...
  • yugoboyyugoboy Posts: 161
    says that canada does not even get a chance of getting the tsx. I remember shopping around for my car about a year ago and wanting to get the acura integra sedan, when i questioned why i could not get integra sedan in canada, the salesman told me,"why would you want one when you can get and acura el!"

My response to the salesman was i would rather not drop 25k(taxes included) on a rebadged honda civic with leather seat's and a sunroof and 127hp engine!!

Now my concern about the tsx is that i notice on the canadian website that they offer an aero package on the el, trying to make the car more sporty and maybe shift attention away from the tsx!!! I dont know but i hope i am wrong and we get a chance at this car in the great white north!!!!!!
  • Any word on the engine? It'd be amazing if it had the NA Accord V6. And how much is it going to cost? B/C if it cost 2 or three thousand more than a V6 NA Accord it will either a)Bomb or b)Cannibalize the sales of the TL and to some extent the EL (in Canada).
    I doubt it will cost more than EXV6. IMO, TSX's stength will be its dynamics, feature content and appeal. I would not be surprised if it came with the following options...
    TSX: 2.4/I4, 160 HP/161 lb.-ft (same as Accord)
    TSX-S: 2.4/I4, 200 HP/172 lb.-ft (same engine as JDM Accord 24T/24TL/24S) mated to 5-speed Sport Shift or 6-speed manual.

And priced around $24-26K. Although I'm hoping for Type-S to have IMA mated to K24A, pumping about 220-240 HP,evenif it costs around $30K.
  • petpadpetpad Posts: 153
    yugo, you have a valid argument, as I also felt we were cheated out of the 4-door Integra too soon. My view on that situation is that the Integra sedan was a good bet in the USA but would have been a close competitor to the Accord in Canada, so they had to do something about it. Americans would never have gone for the EL but us Canadians, as we all know, spend less on cars due to less disposable income and basically, we're cheap pricks compared to Americans...! Ha Ha anyway that's my theory on the Canada-only EL, and US-only 4-door Integra. Now to get back to the TSX being available in Canada or not, my bet is that the 14 K gap between an EL Premium (24K CND) and a plain Jane TL (38K CND) is wide enough to slot a TSX from 26 to 32, depending on options. Since I usually buy used cars, I will probably trade my 92 Vigor for a 95 Legend (if I can find one!), but for those who like to splurge, the TSX should be nice. I will consider a TSX in 2006-07 or so when I can find a nice used one!
  • yugoboyyugoboy Posts: 161
    I hope you are correct in your opinion that we will be getting the tsx, however i still have doubt, honda/acura seem's to pull alot of silly stunt's when it come's to the canadian market!!!!

But when it comes to price difference i have to disagree with you, a fully loaded civic errrrr i mean EL(premium model with aero package) comes out to a whopping 26,200 that is not including any taxes, we are almost talking $28000(when everything is said and done) for a friggin run of the mill 127hp civic, i think honda/acura would much rather keep selling this car to a bunch of chumps if they will keep buying them, than go through the trouble of bringing the tsx to the canadian market!!!I can only imagine what the margin's on the civic/EL are!!!!

On another note i really wish honda/acura still designed car's like the vigor and legend, they had some soul to them and purpose!!!!
  • including new pricing info and some new pics...

http://www.honda.co.uk/accord/pricing.html

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Hmm. I appriciate that a 4 door RSX is coming out, but it looks a lot like the Honda Accord that's here now. Wonder what is going to be the differences. (price and warranty)
  • just the European/Japanese model. The RSX is based on the Civic platform. As such, the TSX is not the same as a 4-door RSX. I wouldn't expect too many differences from the European/Japanses models as all of them are built in Japan and go on-sale in Spring 2003.
This discussion has been closed.