Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX

Comments

• gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    You'd be amazed at how cheap you become.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    initial off the lot depreciation into account :( Then $200 is a drop in the bucket.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Lean mfg and batching like I said are not mutually exclusive. There is tremendous coordination between suppliers and the final mfg of a vehicle to make JIT (just in time) methods work. The TSX dashes, made in a batch one week, may be screwed into cars as a batch a week later.

Whether your point or mine is more valid, the end effect on this discussion is the same: The US market can't just tell the factory to make 10% more next month.

For better or worse, Honda thinks 15K units is the right number. And I've seen about as many posts saying that their dealers have a surplus and are doing modest deals as saying that there is long waiting list. And a lot of posts saying that once the newness wears off, the car is going to be another Vigor or Prelude slow-seller. So it appears to me like they got it about right.

- Mark
  • elrod03elrod03 Member Posts: 12
    I wonder if the supply of TSXs will decrease, and demand increase, as more people find out about the car. Everyone who has seen my TSX had not heard that Acura has a new model in their lineup. I haven't seen a single commercial for the car and only one billboard in the last 2 months and, believe me, I would have noticed. Also, most car buyers do not regularly visit websites such as Edmunds to keep up to date on new models, etc. What do you think?
  • sailoverfuelsailoverfuel Member Posts: 82
    I finnaly saw a TSX as I drove the NJ area. As I said before, I did visit the dealer and test drove two (man &n auto).

I wish there were more out there! There's something uniqye about seeing the car one likes drive by. I'm not sure if u guys agree but to see it "in real life" out side the dealership and outside a "sales" situation.

To tell everyone the truth...I was not too impresed when I saw it out there. I considered it small and a bit bland. I did speek out about the bland thing but oh well!!!! Thats probable just me.
  • uncledaviduncledavid Member Posts: 548
    when the new TL comes out. A few of us (including myself) needed to buy a car, wanted an Acura/Honda product and didn't want to wait for the new TL. If the TL was out, I might have spent more an bought it instead.
    200 hp and 166 ftlb is not enough in the current car area contest to attract buyers of sporty performance /near-luxury vehicles. Would have been 5 years ago and maybe even a couple of years ago, but cars like the Altima 3.5 changed the playing field and now in most cases 200 horsepower sits on the sales bench.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Why are people saying they are flying out of the dealers lots due to some massive demand for TSXs?
    I saw way more G35 sedans on the road the week those were first released.
    They are 1/4 of the way there in less than 2 months. They are flying in comparison to estimates.

Kinda like the G35 coupe. There's such high demand since they only want to sell like 12,000 this year.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "The TL will kill the TSX sales."

I have to disagree with you on that one. The TL will probably outperform the TSX in most every measurable way, but the TSX will still weigh less, be more nimble and fun to drive, and of course, it'll be less expensive.

Although not in the same class, consider the Mazda Miata. Perhaps the most well balanced, fun to drive car on the road today. It single-handedly reinvented a market that had all but disappeared; with only a 116 hp four cylinder engine.

The TSX is by no means in the same league as the Miata, but more than a little of the spirit (and driving dynamics) is there...
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    the only thing the tl will out perform the tsx in will be straight line acceleration and back seat room.

there's enough people out there who don't get a car based upon some horsepower and torque quota. like actually driving the car. the engine is one of the car's strengths.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    I agree, the TSX's low production numbers won't be hurt by TL sales. First of all, the TL will sell at close to list for a period of time after launch. Second, that list will probably be higher than the current TL.

Despite all the criticisms, the TSX has a decent amount of power for many buyers. There's a lot of discussion of what the TSX lacks. Here's a question on what it has that others lack:

Quick, name another near-luxury, good-handling, fairly quick, Honda-reliable, good-resale, good safety-featured, non-stripped, well-equipped (including xenons) sedan selling for $27k? Or even for under $30k?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't any! Mazda 6? Not near-luxury, no xenons, resale probably won't be great, reliability not as good. You can't get a well-equipped Lexus IS at this price. I like the G35 but you'd have to strip it down to get under $30k. The Altima 3.5 SE won't have the near-lux interior, resale and possibly the reliability. Passats don't have this level of reliability or sportiness and don't come with xenons except for the expensive W8's. A 9-3 gets close but simply won't have the resale and the same reliability level. An S60 has similar limitations. A current TL won't handle as well and doesn't have up-to-date safety equipment like side-curtain airbags.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Quick, name another near-luxury, good-handling, fairly quick, Honda-reliable, good-resale, good safety-featured, non-stripped, well-equipped (including xenons) sedan selling for $27k? Or even for under $30k?

Great point. I'm not a honda guy but I really liked the TSX. for its price 25-26k (w/o navi) it's tough to beat.
    "Quick, name another near-luxury, good-handling, fairly quick, Honda-reliable, good-resale, good safety-featured, non-stripped, well-equipped (including xenons) sedan selling for $27k? Or even for under $30k?"

I can name the G35 and the IS300. In paper they may seem more expensive due to a high MSRP but in reality the do compete just under 30K since they DO sell at Invoice, close to invoice and sometimes just under.

The only pluss is that the TSX is actually more like 29K and at that price it includes the Nav system that I like so much. So yes you are partially right...but the G35 at a near Invoive price is a great deal and takes TSX right on!

My point earlier was, I dont see them enough and the one I saw out and about I did not like the way it looked. In the dealership is another story.
    I can name the G35 and the IS300.

Uh, no. I was going to buy a G35. Sticker on a g35 leather, stick, premium, the works comes out to over 32-33k. Even with deals you're looking at maybe 30k.

I can get a TSX for 25-26k. A G35 rings in 4-5k higher.

The only plus is that the TSX is actually more like 29K and at that price it includes the Nav system that I like so much.

What? Try 27k. The TSX with Navi (talk about a wasteful luxury item - $200 in parts that they're marking up 1000%) has an invoice of 26.5. Getting it for 27k is quite reasonable. If you're paying MSRP on any Acura, you're getting raped. I had offers that dropped 1k off sticker before I even attempted to negotiate!

So yes you are partially right...but the G35 at a near Invoive price is a great deal and takes TSX right on!

You're not comparing the same cars! In fact you seem to purposely be misrepresenting facts. Do an apples to apples comparo. Do up a G35 with premium and navigation: MSRP = $35,395. Invoice is $32,300.

Huh, 32,000 v. 27,000. Once again there is a 5k difference. Oh and the G35 with Navi is not under 30k. :)
    I am comparing TSX at MSRP to G35's at Invoice. Thats how things are going here in the NY/NJ area.

And u r right. The TSX is STILL less, were we disagree is that is not 5K. According to the numbers around here is more like

$28,990msrp TSX (NAV)-vs- $32,011invoice L/Nav G35

So we are talking 3K difference apples to apples. Like I said, the problem is that the TSX is MSRP and the G35 is at Invoice. TSX will not go under invoice so this is apples to apples in the sense that they are the best prices avail for this models.

So if you drop the Nav in the G they will come near. I pay the extra few K for a G or Bimmer no problem.
    "What? Try 27k. The TSX with Navi (talk about a wasteful luxury item - $200 in parts that they're marking up 1000%) has an invoice of 26.5. Getting it for 27k is quite reasonable. If you're paying MSRP on any Acura, you're getting raped. I had offers that dropped 1k off sticker before I even attempted to negotiate!"

Not the case around here...maybe in the future. AND YOU ARE RIGHT AGAIN. PAYING MSRP IS LIKE GETTING RAPED AND I WILL NOT DO THAT. NO!

Thats why I look at Bimmer and G as an alternative even though is a bit more.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    The G35 was being sold at MSRP for a couple of months after it's introduction as well. You can't compare MSRP to invoice as a blanket comparison because there will be areas where the TSX will be discounted.

If you want a G35 buy a G35. It's nice looking and FAST. However, you are getting a $25,000 interior for a $32,000 price tag. At least in the TSX you are getting what you pay for at the very least.
    OK...sound good and fair to me
    I'm sure you can get the G35 at invoice or close to it in a number of areas in the country. But it won't be consistent. I couldn't get that here. And while some folks wouldn't go near a TSX with an automatic, most TSX's are sold that way, and doesn't the G35 with an auto have an additional cost?

I agree that $3k isn't a huge difference in many buyer's eyes, and I myself would pay that extra premium to get the G35's additional power and handling. But $3k is often considered a barrier into another price class, especially around $30k when it's 10% more.

But, in general, the TSX is still pretty much alone in its price zone. It'd be tough for a lot of folks to get well-equipped G35 under $30k. Perhaps if Infiniti starts offering heavy incentives to get out-the-door prices consistently under $30k.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "I agree that $3k isn't a huge difference "

I don't view the $7K as being a huge difference between the G35 and the 330i either. I'm not sure where the line in the sand is, but some people might view the 3K as insurmountable, while others view the 3K as pocket change. A person on the Mazda forum made a stink about $200.
    Well, I did say that $3k wasn't a huge difference for many people. Perhaps its "less than many." :-)

Plus I added that $3k, or more than 10%+ in this price band, is often considered a barrier to purchase.

Wordsmithing aside, I'd personally consider a $7k difference in a $35k vehicle to be a huge difference. That's more than a 20% difference. And it can really alter the complexion of what you can buy.

I still think the TSX has a ton of attributes at a price that legitimately comparable vehicles can't match. And should the TSX begin widely discounting after the initial hoopla is over, that'll only help.
    I was really tempted by the G35. A 6-MT sedan with moonroof can be had for about $30,000, or $3000 more than the TSX.

But it's not the $3000 savings that steered me into a TSX, it's the total TSX package. Except for the obvious difference in straight-line speed, the TSX is simply the nicer car to me. I think the TSX is more handsome outside, gorgeous inside, has higher quality materials throughout, more standard features, is more comfortable, and I love revving that slick I-4!

I just found the TSX better balanced and more fun to drive, and wasn't willing to lose all those advantages just to reach 60 MPH or the 1/4 mile a second quicker.

But that's just me...
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    IMO, $3K is a significant amount or not depending on the price consideration. At $30K, it amounts to 10% of the cost. Sub-30K price class may be a lot more sensitive to such amounts, than, say, $40+K class.
    What is the difference, if any, of leasing new versus pre-owned. If a new car is 30K and a pre-owned is 30k will both monthly payments be simmilar?

If not why? I am under the impresion that leasing a pre-owned car has some disadvantages (pre-owned meaning yr 2000 or neweer).
    NAV systems:

" ..What? Try 27k. The TSX with Navi (talk about a wasteful luxury item - $200 in parts that they're marking up 1000%) ..."

The Honda's integrated NAV with voice prompt is probably one of the best, if not the best currently available.

The Garmin Deluxe Street Pilot, fully loaded with all options is about $800 and it is excellent, but doesn't have voice input.

If you have need for a NAV then they are great. However, if you don't then I guess it is hard to see any value in one.

I am not sure where you can get one for $200 to qulify for a 1000 percent markup.

Anyway if you get a Mazda Six then one could always add a Garmin or Magellan
    I don't see many places leasing used cars.
    The payments on a used lease should be lower since most cars depreciate less in the second 3 years than in the first 3 years.
    However the car would be 6 years old by the time you return it. You will have higher maintenance costs, because the amount of maintenance required gets more extensive with age and mileage. You will be out of warranty and you will have to replace things not covered by warranty anyway, such as tires, battery and brakes as the miles pile on.
    Spending money on new tires, brakes and repairs on a car you don't own is not nice and will eat into your "savings." Plus you are driving around in an old car you don't own during the last couple years of the lease.
    yes its an option at almoust any majos dealership. regarding the maintanace...well they do offer extended warranties and all.
    Extended warranties are very expensive and do not cover maintenance and normal wear and tear items as the car packs on miles. For the cost of the extended warranty, plus the cost of worn out items the warranty will not cover, you might as well just lease a new car instead of a used car.
  • crocancrocan Member Posts: 7
    I was recently on a aftermarket parts web site a noticed that the K&N air filters for the TSX were sold out. I would like to think that someone who posts here has bought one. Has anyone seen a difference in performance who has bought one or is it really just a gimmick?
  • squirreljamsquirreljam Member Posts: 71
    Sail - a couple more thoughts on used leasing...

s852 hit the nail about the potential costs of leasing used. Also:

Since the new market is [generally] heavily supported right now to keep sales going, the benefits of used leasing are diminished.

Also, it's a much less transparent market with more variables, so the chance of getting a good deal is lowered. For example, here in the "Lease Questions - ask here" board, Car_Man can give residuals and money factors for almost any new car (so you can calculate your own deal), but doesn't have used lease info.

Other that, the math should be the same...

Squirrel
  • stretchsjestretchsje Member Posts: 700
    Are we forgetting that for $3,000 more, you're getting a much sportier, better-driving vehicle?
    Are you on a crusade, or what?

Re-read post #2548.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "Are we forgetting that for $3,000 more, you're getting a much sportier, better-driving vehicle?"

That may be, but fed obviously sees more value in the TSX vs the G35 and the TSX has more utility to him. :)
    Thanks to those sharing info regarding Used vs New lease. It makes complete sense regarding the maintanance cost. And it does make sense to get a new one...never mind that we all know New is cooler that Used...right?
    The Garmin Deluxe Street Pilot, fully loaded with all options is about $800 and it is excellent, but doesn't have voice input.

If you have need for a NAV then they are great. However, if you don't then I guess it is hard to see any value in one.

I am not sure where you can get one for $200 to qulify for a 1000 percent markup.

A manufacturer purchasing the components wouldn't pay more than $200 or so for those parts. LCD screen is maybe $50-70. DVD drive is around $10-15. Input controls maybe $5-10. Software/processor is really the only expensive stuff and that's maybe gonna run you $100 (if you didn't do your own programming).

$200 worth of parts marked up to $2000 (true pretty much across the board for manufacturers).
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    We don't pay for components at what it costs to the automaker.

That said, at $2K, the NAV in TSX may be worth it for some, may not be for others.
  • aqphamaqpham Member Posts: 11
    Now that we are in late June, and I am sure some places have been hotter than 100 F; anyway, for those having the ebony leather seats, have they been really hot or not bad at all? (still waiting for SSM/ebony)
    We don't pay for components at what it costs to the automaker.

That said, at $2K, the NAV in TSX may be worth it for some, may not be for others.

Did I write that consumers pay manufacturer prices on equipment? No. I wrote that the manu pays about $200 for the equipment and then marks it up $1800. It's an obscene rip off and rather disturbing that 5-10 years after navi came out the prices have not dropped and people aren't demanding that the prices fall into line with actual costs. a 200% markup is decent. Heck, 300 or 400%. But 2k for technology that hasn't changed or improved in years?! Speech recognition? Good grief I had that on my computer in 1996.
    I have a black Accord with black leather seats and with tinted windows the car has been bearable so far in our 85 degree weather. It stays garaged at home which is a huge help but no covered parking at work :(

I don't think that $2000 is a rip-off. How much do you think it would cost to get someone to ride with you every where you go and tell you where to turn, where the closest restaurant is, and where to go to the movies. Then you would have to pay them to turn on your AC, your stereo, and get directions whenever you told them to without complaint. Then you would have to explain to that person that they have to stay in the car without AC even if it is 100 degrees outside. And then have that person warrant themselves for 4 years against any defect or attitude problem. Add up that cost for 5 hours, let alone 4 years. And how long do you think your computer would last were it to be left outside in extremely cold or extremely hot temperatures for 4 years?

Not to mention even the top aftermarket NAV systems go for $1500 and up. So maybe it's a rip-off to you but had I been able to find a 2003 Accord EX-L 5-speed with NAV I would've gladly paid the extra $2000.
    I have to agree with you there. I am a fan of Nav systems and willing to pay the ridiculous 2K but you are RIGHT. Prices should have gone down some time ago. This is not "state of the art technology". The best example is that you can even get an Acord with Nav standard. It is no longer an item for cars that are considered Luxurious.

I have a feeling that they WILL go down in price and that more auto models will offer this feature at a more affordable prize.

The problem is that even aftermarket GPS Auto Navs are at still a wopping 1K (i.e. Garmin, magellan, Pioneer etc). And they DO look ugly and awkward...just like mounted Cell Phone systems did in the early 90's not to mention on the way and taking space.

So whats left...pay extra (for those of us that use it and like it) and yes Acura makes an awesome one...tried it!
  • akal50akal50 Member Posts: 112
    The Nay System may be the one of the best available, but it's not worth $2000. How hard is it to change the temperature or turn on the radio by hand? And how hard is it to go online before you get in the car and get directions? Is it useful? Yes. But $2000 to do things that you could do very easily on your own, sorry but that's just a ripoff. I would rather wait until these things become more common and the prices come down. Buying a Nav System is like buying a DVD player 5 years ago. They cost a bundle back then. Now they're dirt cheap.
    Honda doesn't expect everyone to want the NAV system. That's why it's an option. There is no standard NAV on the Accord either. I have yet to see an Accord with NAV.
    My father always said that Cell Phones in the future will be free...that the money would be made in the minutes used. This was during the early 90's late 80's when cell phones were expensive, ugly and a Lux item. My father was a fan from day one. He had one that was rotary with a green light (meaning there was an avail line) and a red line (busy-no signal). I was 15yrs years old (1985 or so.

Nav Systems may go in that direction. Right...no minutes but it is safer. Maybe insurance companies give an incentive discount to those who own one. To avoid dangerous areas or to monitor speed. For those who drive under speed limit (I dont know) since it has a GPS. Maybe someone will actually come up with a minute charge system were u only pay by the minute when u need it. A combination of Nav, Cell Phone, Computer, OnStar. Kind of a MapQuest for cars on the move. By the way it should be able to read e-mails and be online with voice.

Thats me...a gadget freak who DOES use technology and think its the way of the future...just let it role!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is were we're heading weather you and I like it or not. There is no sense in fighting technology and mechanical evolution...if you do not like it dont use it (thats fine also). My mother refuses to learn Internet and or computers. On the other hand she does NEED it, but refuses. That is her prorogative. Other people do not like Air Conditioning, Microwave, and who knows what other inventions. So be it!
    Yes Acords do come with Nav and it has a model that comes standard with it. I test drove it and you can check by visiting their website....Just check.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    This navi cost discussion reminds me of the argument that software should cost $1.00 because the CD it is burned on cost $0.50 and >2x profit is "obscene".

Acura charges $2K for the navi because that is what the market will pay. And this price level allows a profit to be made given all the costs of production, engineering, marketing, and data licensing distrbuted over the number of units they sell. (Or at least we presume they make a profit - it is also possible that they are taking losses to help seed the market or as a loss-leader to sell to some segment of the market that won't buy the car otherwise. My guess is that they make a healthy profit, but I don't think any of us really know.)

Is the price "obscene"? I don't know, but saying that it $200 in parts and saying that they're making 10X profit is faulty accounting in the extreme.

And the price isn't going to come down when we "demand" it. It will come down when the costs come down and when adapation rises so that costs can be distributed over a larger number of units. In reality, it will come down when someone else sells a competing system more cheaply. Supply and demand.

The nav isn't worth $2K to me for the same reason that I'd never willingly pay $1K-$2K more for a slightly improved car stereo system that says Monsoon, Bose, or Mark Levinson.

It's a free country and a mfg can charge what they want. It's not like Honda is forcing you to buy it. (Unlike the manual vs. auto pricing where manual buyers have to pay extra to subsidize the more expensive auto. In other markets, the Euro Accord has conventional pricing where the auto is $1200 more.)

- Mark
    yes I agree as I admitted to all you are saying. But Mapquest is not the same...trust me I use it every week...planty. If you vere from directions the printout is worthless. If you decide to change route or change chronological order of destinations...you are screwed...it limits.

BUT YOU ARE RIGHT...MOST PEOLPLE WILL AGREE WITH YOU AND WAIT UNTILL THE DROP. I JUST GOT MY FIRST DVD A FEW MONTHS AGO....
    Because it has the NAV option. Just as EX-L stands for leather. Honda doesn't have "options" like other manufacturers. They build everything they want into the car from the factory. EX, EX-L, EX-L-NAV, EXV6, EX-V6-NAV etc. NAV is an option on the EX.
    Will everyone agree that this is a Luxury Item and like other luxury items it may not be something we need. It is something we can do without.

If we agree with the above statement then the topic/point is mute..as it is a matter of taste and luxury
This discussion has been closed.