Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX

Comments

• laineylainey Member Posts: 62
    Only pics of the '06 that I can find is the NHTSA website:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/3430.html

Somebody else gave this link earlier in the threads but I don't know if anyone has tried this... You can right click to copy the image of each of the three pics, then paste them into Word or a photo editing program and enlarge them. It gets grainy but at least it's something. Or you can try to click the "Watch Crash Test" or "Watch Side Crash Test" link on the page and pause the mpeg it to get a better look. Anybody see differences from the '04-'05 body in those pics?? I know the following are rumored to be some of the exterior changes: Restyled hood and grille, redesigned headlights and combination taillights, redesigned front and rear bumpers, fog lamps are integrated into the lower bumper, more pronounced side sills.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    It looks the same as a 2005 and the 2006 TSX is supposed to have significant styling updates.
    It may be a typo on the NHTSA site.
  • laineylainey Member Posts: 62
    I should have done this before. I searched "2005 TSX" on the home website. Different pages, identical pics as the "2006 TSX". A little misleading. Nevermind. Sorry guys.
  • 151ranch151ranch Member Posts: 109
    Yes, the shift is not straight down from 5th to 6th, I have to actively move the shifter to the right. Takes some getting used to - but lately I have just been going straight from 4th to 6th gear to avoid the feeling I am about to put the car in reverse. On my daily drive, I hardly ever go to 6th, and I still get 30 mpg.
  • rko2rko2 Member Posts: 40
    I have been driving my TSX for 7 months now, and I don't think that there is anything that different or difficult when shifting into 6th. At first I could see that it might feel a little different and that the gate isn't straight down because of the tendency to want to pull the shifter down towards your body instead of back towards the rear of the car. This was the first 6 speed transmission I have driven, so I guess it was a tad weird. But, I don't think about it anymore.

Also, I think that there is a mechanism that locks out reverse when the car is moving forward. Therefore, you can't put it into reverse if you tried. Hope that clears some things up.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    Thanx to you and ranch151 for the feedback. I think I'll need to spend a little time with it before I make a firm decision to buy one... and before another test drive I'll make sure I can take a moment before starting it up to just run the shifter thru the gates to get a better feel that way. But I won't buy something that still makes me feel like I don't know how to drive it. ;)
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • wrjoycewrjoyce Member Posts: 51
    Anyone that says they have pics of 2006 TSX is misinformed. They are not in production yet, and for US delivery will not be available until late November. Yes late November. Dealers were just informed of that date. So if you want all the changes that were described in earlier link, you will have to wait a long time. Bummer. Dont know when it will hit Europe but America has to wait
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    Three months is hardly a "long time" to wait - especially for what sounds like some very nice improvements to performance, handling, comfort, and safety.

I'll wait.
  • marc10marc10 Member Posts: 7
    IN RESPONSE TO MAXAMILLION1:

Gimme a break...all those changes for 2006? Basically Acura is eliminating the TL? The TSX and the TL are 6K different in price. The only major difference is engine and size of sedan, exterior and interior looks are similar. There is a very fine line between the two sedans. With those upgrades the line will be crossed and accessories eliminated? Most car companies make major changes like those every 5 to 6 yrs, not in the third year. 2004 to 2005 offered, heated mirrors, xm, illuminated steering wheel, power passenger seat. These very minor changes should foreshadow changes for 2006
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    Actually Maxamillion1 copied and pasted the changes from another website. He didn't make it up on his/her own.

Even if the TSX did pick up all the modifications indicated (the big if)....there will be still a huge difference between the two cars. I own both the 2005 TSX and 2005 TL. Load all those in...and the ride and amenities will still be worlds apart.

So let us all see what unfolds for the TSX.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Honda has historically given it's cars a mild-to-medium refresh in it's 3rd-4th model year. For example, the 2006 Accord will get freshened styling, largers wheels/tires, ESC on V6 models, sunroof on LX V6 models, even a 6-speed V6 sedan will supposedly be available. The minor upgrades to the TSX are far from out of the question.
  • mikes2mikes2 Member Posts: 43
    FWIW, the sales guy at my local Acura dealer also told me the 2006 will have more horsepower "and a number of other changes". Since I was pondering buying a 2005 TSX, he obviously didn't want to tell me much more, but obviously the dealers know something! ;) The posting on vtec.net is enough to make me wait a little more, to see if more information becomes available.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Do you think the TSX rides rough when compared to the TL?
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Have you heard that there's a new IS and new 325? Yes, if there were no competition Honda wouldn't have to do much to the TSX, they could just sit there do nothing and expect the same 3-4K/month sales to just roll in. They got the hint with the USDM Accord and applying a rather extensive MMC to the TSX also.
    I'd liken the 06 TSX upgrade to the 05 upgrade of the G35.

When you think about, the TSX is Acura's BMW325 and the TL is the 330. While the sales proportions are not the same (it's 4:1 325 to 330 sales vs. 2:1 TL to TSX) that's the way I see it.
  • mikes2mikes2 Member Posts: 43
    Haven't seen or heard anything. The salesguy professed not to know anything either (but I wouldn't have expected him to). That said, I can't see Acura imposing a significant price change, but that's just my 2 cents.
    A comparison of the TSX to TL ride cannot be made as they are in two different peer groups ( TSX is comparable to the Audi A4 / Lexus IS / BMW 325 and TL comparable to BMW 5 series / Infiniti G35). The horsepower between the two cars for 2005 is 200hp versus 270hp. Totally different character.

I find the TSX ride to be peppy and great compared to its peers mentioned above. Now...it isn't created to ride like a Camry or Avalon standard sedan ...as it is a sports-luxury sedan. Best of all...it would cost $10k+ to get a comparably equipped BMW.
  • weno2weno2 Member Posts: 38
    I heard from a salesperson that they're expecting a 10% price increase, and another that they'll get sticker on the sales of the 06.
  • 4acuras4acuras Member Posts: 13
    The cost of the lights themselves is quite high in my opinion, so I can imagine what they are installed.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Ok ...
    So, then a salesperson is suggesting that everyone rush out and buy '05s now so they will avoid the gigantic price increases on the 2006 models.
    I wonder why they would say that?
    I believe the VSA button next to the sun roof controls also turns off the traction control. You'll see an amber triangle on the right side of the instrument panel when it is off. It won't stay off though, you must turn it off each time you start the car.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,554
    Cynical, are we? ;)

Yeah... I wondered, too.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Right. My TL had TC only.
    One could always work with the salesman on a non-nav, and then loose interest. Then tell him if the payments/price were the same or close and it had nav, you'd do the deal. I got a tape deck in mine (have a lot of vinyl on tape and don't want to rebuy the cd) at "no charge" that way. Of course it is not a 2K option either. I actually got the TSX for $20 more than a RSX-S. I had a CD player put in my '96 GSR with no price increase. I almost went for a spoiler on my silver T but I don't hink they look that good.
    Black needs to be kept clean an polished. A friend had a black Buick Riveira (super chg'd V6) and had it detailed once a month. In s. FLA people come to your work and detail a car for $30-40. Other places I have been - $100 +. Dealer in San Antonio - $180, Joneboro, GA, $129 - black looks good though!!! As to black seats, I wish I had asked for the "gray" (tianium) but the black seats are not too bad (mid nineties here in San Antonio - here temporarily)
    91 octane reccomended - 89 is OK I would not burn regular at all.
    Why 89 ok and 87 not?

I would go to the 'TSX-MPG real world' forum for more discussions. There is a great link to a MSN article which discusses the same topic...saying that regular does no harm.
    How can you make a comparison as to "No difference whatsoever" unless you drive a car that did not even have factory tint? Pretty hard. Can one compare the taste of an apple to an orange if they tasted an orange but never an apple?
    I had additional tint applied in Virginia to my Integra. After moving to Florida and going to a 2000 TL with just factory tint, I was surprised that the sun did not feel all that much different in the TL. The factory tint is also UV blocking because my transition eyeglasses do not darken in the car and I would prefer that they did. The really dark tint is not legal in many states (New Jersey won't allow any aftermarket tint so someome with a blacked out car in FL would have to remove it in Jersey). Real dark tint also make it a bit harder to see at night.
    I would expect the compression ratio has a lot to do with it. It would probably knok with reg
    The sensors would retard the knocking you are referring to. I recommend looking at that MSN article in the other forum for more data and information...which indicates no detrimental effects.

ps...I am a premium fuel user...but still want to share what I know about regular grade.
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    Yes, the ECU would retard timing...and performance to one degree or another.

Johnny
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    I agree the exteriors of the cars look similar, a family resemblance, but didn't think the enteriors were similar. Maybe that just because of the size difference that you already mentioned.
  • wrjoycewrjoyce Member Posts: 51
    there seem to be some skepticism regarding the extend of the changes for 2006. The misapprehension seems to be based on the fact the TSX is only "two" years old and therefore not traditionally the subject of a refresh. As someone said in a previous comment, the car is actually four years old since it is almost a mirror image of the European Honda Accord. It would be silly for Honda to refresh the European version and not extend the refresh to the American market. No one should be incredulous that the changes are as described above. I am debating between the new Lexus IS 250 and the 2006 TSX. I do not like the new bmw and never was a fan of the G35. As to the TL I must be the only person in the world that thinks for such a big car the back seat so woefully lack thigh support, that I find it unacceptably uncomfortable.
    European Accord came out one (that's right one) month before the TSX (3/2003).
    At current prices the only difference between using the two different grades of fuel is performance. Someone on another site did an experiment with a 04 TSX in which he very carefully documented milage using two different grades of fuel. The result: the cost savings gained by using regular over premium is almost exactly offset by the lowered gas milage. It all depends on the price delta between regular and premium but in most cases there is no savings by going to regular and there is a definite loss of power.

It has always been the case that using a higher octane fuel than recommended does nothing but empty your wallet faster.
    I remember a few postings that were also indicating they were receiving an improved mileage by using regular grade.

Let me work a break-even analysis. If the price delta is $0.25 and the price of premium is $2.80...the price differential is 8.9%. So assuming the mpg obtained from premium is 25mpg...that means that the mpg could drop 2.75 (11%) or down to 22.25mpg. I am not so certain that there would be a 3mpg drop with regular unleaded...that is pretty hefty change from altering fuel alone.
    I can easily see that kind of efficiency loss... With the engine retarding the timing to keep the fuel from early detonation, it will be less efficient..

If the mileage loss is only 2/3 of that, would you run regular to save $0.07/gallon?

When I look at a used car, and the owner tells me they used regular gas to save $10/mo., I start wondering what else they decided they knew more about, than the engineers who designed the car..

And, then... I just keep on walking..

Stepping over dollars to pick up dimes...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I am a premium fuel user...but I find it hard to believe that it would kill 3mpg with regular.

Also...wouldn't the engineers build the car to be tolerate variations in octane as it is sold globally?

I really suggest reading the MSN article in the TSX-MPG forum that was posted recently that suggest no harm.
    I've read it... They recommend using premium for those cars whose manufacturers require it..

It does say you will do no harm... but, they don't say it is a good idea..

And, of course.. putting premium in a car that is designed fo regular does no good at all... which is the main point of most of these articles..

Still... I have no trouble believing that cars that are designed for premium will get 10% worse mileage running regular.. Plus.. where I live... the difference is $2.49 vs. $2.69 (at least it is today), making it a 7.5% savings for regular..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I just tried to get to that MSN article and wasn't able to as the page already expired and not accessible. As I recall the article...it didn't only pertain to those designed for regular...but even those designated with premium.

How about this article in USAToday which states:
    "I personally use regular even though my owner's manual says you'll get better performance with premium," says Lewis Gibbs, consulting engineer and 45-year veteran at Chevron oil company. He's chairman of Technical Committee 7 on Fuels, part of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Fuels & Lubricants Council. Gibbs knows gas.
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-07-30-premiumgas_x.htm

Once again...I am a premium user...but would like to gain insight on the what happens with regular. And when in doubt...use premium.
    No doubt about that!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• eusnlleusnll Member Posts: 10
    I am deciding to get a 2005 TSX with red color and parchment interior. But seeing some posts it looks like Red is not easy to maintain . Does it scratch easily ? Any advice will be appreciated :D
  • drewbadrewba Member Posts: 154
    I'd pay the .20 per gallon to use premium even if it only improved 1-2 MPG because gas mileage is really important to me. This is partly due the cost of gas, but mostly because the earth isn't making more oil and when supply starts dropping, things could get really ugly.

Anything other than a 4 cylinder was out when I was car shopping and I had to really think about whether I was willing to give up the 2-3 MPG over an Accord.

There's obviously a limit, because I wasn't looking at Civics or Corollas either.
  • proffyproffy Member Posts: 46
    Actually, the earth is making more oil as we speak... ;)
  • drewbadrewba Member Posts: 154
    Is this the abiotic oil theory?
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    I'm thinking about trading up from my '02 Accord EX V6 Coupe into a new TSX... actually half trying to talk myself out of it on grounds of long-term fiscal responsibility. But anyway... I'm wondering about the experiences of those with "active" lifestyles (runners, tennis players, etc.) with the perforated leather. I'm a runner, and if I jump in my Accord in still-wet running gear (after a race, whatever), no worries... I've got a towel to wipe the seat dry of my perspiration when I get out. It's actually better than cloth that way. But could I get away with that on the perforated leather seats in the TSX? Or would I have to make sure I have a towel to sit on (which of course would slip around, yada yada)?
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Maybe it's just me, but I would never get in my car after a race or a workout without sitting on a towel (and I usually put on a dry shirt too). There's no way that sweat isn't going to soak in, even unperforated leather. I would expect perforations would allow even more sweat to be absorbed. Even if you can't smell it, it can't be good for the leather.

Having said that, I think the perforations do make the seat a little more comfortable for a long drive.
  • marc10marc10 Member Posts: 7
    I think everyone is missing my point. The TL and the TSX are different, but for 6k extra for the TL, there are certain luxury features you get(besides size, & engine). If the TSX adds too many of these features, neither car will be unique. From what I have read and heard, a minor freshening inside and out can be expected and I doubt anything mechanical.
    The TSX comes with so many features as is, theres not much they can add. And like I said if they add too much your looking at 4cylinder TL.
    That's the whole point. The TSX is a 4 cyl TL. Just like A4 4cyl 2.0 vs 3.2 V6. The only diff for Acura is that the platform and body is more different between the two.
    Ahhh...there is still a huge difference beyond the visual amenities. As an example...the TL frame is much stiffer. Open up the hood of a TL and you will find a torsion bar near the firewall to stiffen the front. Open the trunk...and you will find heavy struts behind the rear seats to stiffen the rear box. Drive the car and you will find a much more robust suspension for a sporty handling.

Inside...any car will have a tough time competing with the TL stereo. Leather grade is very different. Etc.

They are two very different cars. Still...both very fine.
  • aquaticexploreaquaticexplore Member Posts: 89
    Not only gas. In Europe they get Honda's fabulous 2.2L diesel. When will Acura bring this engine to North America? Our (Canadian) fuel costs are what Europe's were a year ago when decisions were made to brin them a diesel. The first of Acura or Lexus [IS} to bring their hot diesel over gets my business for my next car. I would trade my 6 speed gas tsx in a minute for one.
This discussion has been closed.