Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX

Comments

• johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    That's awesome, Brian! Looks very sharp, and you look really happy. We're gonna have to schedule a little photo shoot.

I call shotgun! J/K. Can't wait to see it in person. How's she drive? :shades:
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "How's she drive?"

She's a thoroughbred Johnny.
  • waw40waw40 Member Posts: 39
    May I ask what this post and a few responses have to do with the Acura TSX forum? Am I missing something here?
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    And this one. But Fedlaw used to own a TSX but decided he'd re\ather have a BMW. He is a regular here and many of us are inyerested in how his BMW experience is going. They are both sport sedans. And an older BMW would be much cheaper than a new TSX. He'd be a great source of info on both.

haters....
    She's a thoroughbred Johnny.

LOL! Sounds sweet.
    Well said, Gee.
    Thanks Gee...

Actually, as I've said before, I believe that in some ways, the TSX feels more "BMW-like" than any new BMW.

That nimble, light on it's feet feeling that the TSX has (yes, and the slightly nervous-feeling ride quality) is more reminiscent of the older 3-series than the E90.

Johnny, maybe I can try out your modded TSX this Sunday? I'm curious to experience the Hondata with A-Spec suspension. I always thought that would be the most balanced approach at improving the TSX's performance without diminishing it's OE charm. Maybe if I offered you some left seat time in my little 4-cylinder Bimmer?
    Johnny, maybe I can try out your modded TSX this Sunday? I'm curious to experience the Hondata with A-Spec suspension. I always thought that would be the most balanced approach at improving the TSX's performance without diminishing it's OE charm. Maybe if I offered you some left seat time in my little 4-cylinder Bimmer?

Brian, of course you can drive the TSX. No bribery required (I accept). :D In fact, I just had the alignment done today, and then took her for a nice hard, extended spin. Feels great, so she's ready to rock. Just let me know about when you'll be there and we'll do it.
  • todd93101todd93101 Member Posts: 3
    I have not checked this forum since I ordered my TSX on December 28th. I live in southern California. I ordered it in Milano red with ebony interior, and a MT! Funny that this thread has so much attention. I too feel that the red is great because: red looks great on small cars, does not show the dirt like dark colors, and is pretty rare in a TSX. I am over two months into the wait, and haven't heard a thing. They too told me it could take up to four months. The dealership was pretty accomodating, but they kept trying to push me into an automatic transmission. I guess the red and the MT are not top priorities for the public. I must say, however, I was pretty disapointed about the lack of TSXs on the lot compared to TLs.
    Congrats on the car and sticking to your guns on the MT. You won't regret the decision. Hopefully it'll be here soon.

IMO, bigger, V6 powered cars like the TL appeal more to the U.S. market than cars like the TSX. The TSX does have a rabid following, however. People that own them generally seem to love them, yours truly included.

Here's to a short wait. :shades:
    Forgot to add that something like one in ten TSX's comes equipped with the MT, and those get snapped up by enthusiast types pretty quickly I'd imagine. That also might explain the seeming scarcity of TSX's, esp if you're in the market for a car with MT. :D
    I share your frustration. I ordered mine late January and just heard from the dealer that the earliest I could expect delivery will be May! It is interesting that while my dealer had 12 TSXs on the lot, 11 ATs and 1 black MT, and sold 2 during December - January, he also had 9 special orders for MTs during the same period. When I asked him why they didn't order more MTs he said: "because Americans prefer ATs" - go figure...

In addition, our preference for Milano Red doesn't help. Several of my friends, while admiring my previous Milano Red Hondas, told me they bought greys and blues because "those were less likely to be stopped by cops for speeding." I was caught just twice in 15 years and I do like to go 80-90 if the road conditions permit, so I am willing to take the risk...
  • haizmanhaizman Member Posts: 19
    The Acura website cites the factory alarm system having an ignition disabler as a standard feature.

When purchasing my TSX the dealer tried to up sale me on the alarm system, saying that there was no ignition disable and that only the driver's side door has alarm sensors.

Can anyone comment if the $600 upgrade they pushed on me was BS?

Thanks!!
  • cschwartz59cschwartz59 Member Posts: 14
    I'd be interested in hearing about this too. I turned it down yesterday when I purchased my TSX but for me it was a $445 upgrade. Go figure. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I should spring for the 8yr/100,000 mile extended warranty for $1340. Any opinions?
  • suave_tequilasuave_tequila Member Posts: 116
    Sounds ok for that price, but I would ask for exactly $1000. Not bad for 8 yrs!
  • notjafonotjafo Member Posts: 63
    I don't think they are worth it. Over the 10 years I've had an integra I don't think that outside of regular maintenance I put $1000 into repairs that would have been covered by an extended warranty.

If you are going t buy ne, however, a google search will identify dealers that sell them at a discount.
  • cschwartz59cschwartz59 Member Posts: 14
    the $1340 I mentioned was an internet quote from Curry Acura.
    I'm not sure the local dealer will go below that. About 5 years ago I purchased an extended warranty for my '97 CL for 10yrs/100,000 miles for about $1260. I just about broke even on the deal with the repairs that I had to have done but interestingly with about 5,000 miles left to go on the warranty the company went out of business so I never got the full mileage. For that reason I will only go with an Acura warranty if I decide to do it. Your point is certainly valid, though. I'm sure that I'm basically paying for peace of mind since I don't anticipate (hopefully) an excessive amount of repair bills on my TSX.
    More than likely the TSX will be very reliable and you already have the 4 year/50K warranty that came with the car.

If you do decide that you want the extended warranty, keep in mind that they are every bit as negotiable as the car itself. I certainly wouldn't pay $1340. Lowball them with an offer of something like 700-800 dollars and see what they say. :shades:
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    If Acura's ignition disabler is like the one in my '01 Prelude Type SH, then you'll be OK. The only way to steal the car is pretty much to flat-bed it, tow it, or car-jack you. Alarms in my opinion aren't worth anything. They just make noise and nobody pays attention to them. When's the last time you heard a car alarm going off and called the police?

My aforementioned Prelude is Milano Red and I love the color. Unless it is covered in road salt (like it is now), the car never really looks dirty. After I run it through the car wash, it sparkles. Great color!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

"Brian, of course you can drive the TSX. No bribery required (I accept). In fact, I just had the alignment done today, and then took her for a nice hard, extended spin. Feels great, so she's ready to rock. Just let me know about when you'll be there and we'll do it."

Thanks for letting me take your TSX for a spin Johnny. I like the way it feels in every way - better than stock with no sacrifice in comfort whatsoever. It should come that way from the factory.

Now just get some summer tires and you'll be done.
    Thieves flatbedded his CL away. Alarm blaring.
  • jc2298jc2298 Member Posts: 1
    You can purchase the extended warranty anytime before your standard warranty expires. Shop around. You don't have to purchase it from your dealership. I did the same with my Honda. My dealer in NY offer $1250, I got it for $850 from a dealer in Vigina. All done over the phone!

Good luck and congrat on your TSX.
    No problem, Brian. It was good to see you and the guys again. I'm waffling on the pure summer tires. I'm considering an ultra high perf all season as well (Avid V4's or Avon M550's).

The only thing holding me back on summers is cold weather performance. It's just cold enough a good part of the year around here to make it an issue. That said, I have looked at PS Exaltos and PS 2's. Both have excellent wet performance. Any input would be appreciated.

BTW, the M3 is really sweet. It was great experiencing the contrast between it and the TSX. "Thoroughbred" is an appropos adjective. James' pics did a nice job of capturing the ntwo cars. I can't believe the poop that Bimmer four-banger has. Nice.
    Summer tires will do just fine in rain and cold (Seattle cold, that is) temps. The only time you'll run into problems is on those rare days when we get snow or ice on the roads.

I'm glad you liked the M. You'll have to drive it yourself next time we meet up.
  • novicenovice Member Posts: 64
    I just traded a 2003 325xi for a 2006 TXS (both automatics). I originally was committed to AWD for a 2006 but concluded my climate (Portland, OR) doesn't require it. FWD with traction and stability should be enough. But dollar for dollar I couldn't rationalize a BMW any longer. It's a great car with real driving prowess. I think the TXS is really a great buy on today's market. To equip a BMW comparably would be significantly higher, so I opted for the TXS. I think I'll be more than satisfied.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    So come back in a couple months and tell us what you like and don't like about the TSX vs the BMW.
    I just heard from the dealer regarding my TSX/milano red/ebony/6 speed. I ordered it on December 28th and it is due to be completed in Japan on March 30. They estimate it will be at the dealership in 30 days--so April 30 or so.

I am a bit disappointed because the dealer told me when I ordered it that 60 days was the normal wait and 90 was the most is would take. When I informed the manager of this he expressed surprise. He told me that the salesmen are supposed to say 90-120 days. I guess my salesman wanted to be sure and get my business. On the bright side, he said I'd have the only one in this configuration in the United States! Little does he know about the subject of this thread!
    Your dealer was dead wrong - there will be two of us!
    Since it appears you will get yours a few weeks ahead of me, maybe you will let me see/smell yout TSX before I get mine? Are you in CA by chance?
    On the other hand, maybe Japan makes all Milano Red orders at the same time, so I will also get mine in April...

"Brother" in waiting
    I am indeed in California (Santa Barbara) and buying it from Gold Coast Acura in Ventura.
    I actually saw a dealer advertising a 6 speed, red '06 TSX in the local screamer ads last Friday.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

"Local" meaning where?
    Me in the Monterey area. So, when we cross each other's paths somewhere near Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo, I will have no doubt that it must be todd93101. Interesting that of four posts from different people about this model and color combo, all are from CA. The rest of the country goes gray...
    I have seen a couple red ones in the midwest but it isn't a very popular color for sure. A little too fire engine color perhaps for most people.
    Actually, Milano Red is not fire engine hue - check the 1993-2005 Civics. Rallye Red of 2006 Civics (and most Ferraris and red BMWs for that matter) are more like fire engine.
    Many people I know would prefer Milano Red but they think (a folklore legend?) that cops stop red cars more frequently than those that blend with the crowd, i.e.gray, silver, white, or black. I don't buy that.
    Meaning New York City greater metropolitan area.

• rooskierooskie Member Posts: 26
    I've seen a couple in Dallas - I think it's the best looking color on the TSX...the blues and silvers are a dime a dozen...
    I guess that distinction is too subtle for me. To me the TSX is a very bright red. I saw a new red Jetta recently (they call it spice red) and thought it looked really sharp. A much deeper hue than the TSX. Regardless, it does stand out from the crowd but in my area, where there's no Acura dealer, any TSX stands out.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Has anyone heard of any rumors about the TSX getting honda's new 2.3 turbo engine? It would finally give automatic TSXs the punch it deserves.

I suspect if the TSX were to ever get the turbo it would be in the next generation, but I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of any info on this subject.

The TSX has the same horsepower rating as my 2.0T Audi A4 but it accelerates much slower than my car. But Honda's first ever gas turbo would remedy that though.
  • proffyproffy Member Posts: 46
    Does anyone have the mp3 player add-on? I'm curious to know how many CDs it holds.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    There won't be any more changes till the all new model for MY08. The 06 refresh was its mid cycle update which should run 2 years.
    More than likely the next TSX will get the RDX drivetrain.
    By that time the diesel might make its debut in the US also.
    I have a new 2006 TSX Automatic. Great car (I traded a 3 Series for it). I have less than a thousand miles. Most of the time the engine is a smooth running and idling machine. But occasionally it will rev when stopped, or in park. It will do this, then revert to it's smooth idle. It doesn't matter if it's cold or hot. It's still cool weather here so no air-conditioning running. The headlights might be on at times if it's raining, but that shouldn't cause this, should it? Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks.
    I haven't heard of this issue. If it concerns you, have your dealer take a look at it under warranty.
    I called service and was told this is normal in the TSX and TL. I'll schedule an appointment.
    Well, since a stealer will almost always tell you that anything that ever happens to a car under warranty is "normal," I'd be suspicious.

I'm not sure you provided enough info. You say it revs, but not how much.

Either way, let the dealer take a look at it, preferably with the tech in the car with you, so they can't come back and say "we couldn't duplicate the problem."

:D
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Unless there's something in the engine computer to give them a lead, or the dealer experiences the higher revs while the car is there, there's not much the dealer can do for you. Hard to diagnose a problem that can't be duplicated.
    Yes--this will be a problem. It does it only once or twice each time I drive the car so the chances of the tech experiencing it are small. It's not a major rev either. It's more like an air-conditioner condenser kicking in and demanding more engine rev. But it's not the AC because I don't have it on.
    Or some other high voltage accessory.
    "Maybe it's the cooling fan..."

Yup, that's what I think too.
    That's a possibility. But would that kick in within the first five minutes of running the car in the morning while everything is cool? This only happens when the car is at a stop, either a red light or if I put it in park for a minute. You guys are being really helpful.
This discussion has been closed.