Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Refreshening

boredbored Member Posts: 300
edited March 2014 in Jeep
The Grand Cherokee will be refreshed for the 2004 Model Year. It is supposed to have all new sheetmetal, new Interior design, and a new "Sport" version, which uses the New 5.7 Liter Hemi (Mated to a 6-Speed Manual, with All Wheel Drive), is supposed to be capable of stomping ANY vehicle on the road. The 4.0L PowerTech Engine, may be scrapped as the base powerplant, and the 3.7 PowerTech engine will replace it. And for now, it's keeping its solid axles............

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b080102.htm

Comments

• kkuligkkulig Member Posts: 150
    The I6 WILL be replaced by the 3.7L V6. It will still offer the non-HO 4.7L V8. We'll see if the 5.7L Hemi V8 makes it into the 04 model. That would be cool.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Will the I6 be an option. I have one in my 98 jgc 4x4 and although not the most powerful engine i have ever had its been the most reliable. When I purchase a new JGC i will be looking for the I6. If this is not an option I better purchase before it is discontinued.
    Like I mentioned above, the I6 will be replaced by the 3.7L V6 currently being used in the Liberty. That's what's been reported... whether or not that happens in 03, I don't know. It will definitely be in the 04's. I'd check with a dealer on this... what's left of the 02's may be your only opportunity to get an I6.
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Jeep's new marketing slogan is now "Rescue Ready" instead of "Rubicon Ready". I think it's pathetic.

More news on the '04 JGC later......
    I don't know. I guess you can rescue someone from getting stuck in the snow or something..........................
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Well, the Cherokee has long had the reputation of being one of the models great off-road -- putting the "U" back into SUV. Maybe they're trying to capitalize on that aspect of the vehicle, playing to those who would respond to that image?

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Well, the '04 Will still have the Solid Axles, and will be truly Jeep, with the exception for the 3.7L V6.

The 2005 Model Is all new. "Off-road enthusiast will be disappointed to hear that the WK has an independent front suspension that is quite similar to what is used on the Liberty(KJ). In-fact the WK platform is an evolution of the one developed for the KJ."

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b080702.htm

Had my 02 in for maintenance today and was talking to the new car manager. He confirmed that the JGC is moving away from "Rubicon Ready" as Bored stated above.

They are going to incorporate more of Daimler's drivetrain components and the IFS. The focus will be on "ride quality"... which is really going to PO the purists. Guess you either buy now (knowing what they are) or wait and see what Daimler throws into the mix.
    I hope Daimler doesn't expect a sales Increase when they throw in the Liberty's IFS. Now, on some SUV's, offroading with an IFS is good, because some manufacturer's make a good IFS, and DC is not one of them. Toyota makes a good one on their 4Runner, Kia makes a good one on the Sportage and Sorento (They are both based off of a military vehicle, it better be good) Suzuki, among other manufacturers. Maybe DC needs to step into their design studio's and learn a thing or two. People buy Jeeps because they know that they can go anywhere, not that they can just get up and go in the snow.
    Went to the engineers roundtable on the Grand and several engineers were very interested in peoples thoughts on removing the 4 Low. After discussion I had overheard one engineer talking that removing the 4low was a possibility in a redesign as most people dont use this feature. Also stated that cigaret lighter would be removed in the 03's. I asked about when a redesign could be expected was told they could not discuss this with me.
    They can't spill any deep, dark secrets like that! :o)
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The Hummer H-1 has IFS and IRS. The Hummer H-2 has IFS. I don't think anyone would call these sissy vehicles because of their IFS.

The Pathfinder, Xterra, 4Runner, Land Cruiser all have IFS. The new Range Rover has both IFS and IRS. All these vehicles are excellent off road. There's no reason to believe that an IFS-equipped Grand Cherokee—if engineered properly—will be not be equally as good off road.

Bob
    Well, not to start an argument on the subject, but there are some serious Jeep purists on another forum that are SERIOUSLY upset about the idea of the JGC (or any Jeep) going to IFS. They definitely will argue that point with you. Don't ask them what they think of the Liberty either!
    I'm well aware of what "Jeepers" think of IFS and the Liberty. I've been arguing with these folks for years...

Fact of the matter is, there are plenty of very good off-road vehicles out there with IFS, despite everything the hard-core Jeepers think and/or say.

Oops! I forgot to list the new Montero with both IFS and IRS, as well as the Montero Sport, Isuzu Trooper and Rodeo—all excellent off-roaders. And from all early reports I've seen, it sounds like the new VW Touareg (and to a lesser degree, the Porsche Cayanne), with IFS and IRS, will also be real off-road players too.

Bob
    The Liberty's IFS just plain sucks.
    lacks ground clearance that is needed for serious off-roading, whereas the others I've mentioned, that's not a problem. This has been further exasperated by Jeep recently lowering the Liberty even further.

Bob
    the Toyota 4Runner is among the best in terms of (front) ground clearance of all the IFS-equipped SUVs. That's perhaps due in part to the much larger 265/70x16 tires that it come with. If the Liberty had tires that size, I don't think ground clearance would be such an issue.

Bob
    I'm salivating already! :o)
  • rea999rea999 Member Posts: 2
    I just joined this message board, can you tell what the other site was that posted the news and info on the GC '04's. I'm trying to decide whether to put $2k worth of maintenance into my '96 with 100K miles and wait for the '04's or to bit the bullet and buy a '03. Thanks for the help.
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    I'd definitely wait to see what the '04 offers before you splurge, detailed info should be available in the next couple of months or thereabout. The 2003s added some very minor ride enhancements, but took away much more in the continuing "decontenting" trend. It appears the 2004 will have a lot more to offer.

The website you are asking about I believe is http://www.wjjeeps.com
    Pretty much confirms what I said earlier.
  • rea999rea999 Member Posts: 2
    Went to the website and found it helpful. Are there any pictures of the GC '04 out yet?
    Nope... haven't seen any yet, and I've been looking!
  • iamwhoamiamwhoam Member Posts: 23
    Does any really on a regular basis take a JGC off road, I mean rock climbing, stream fording stuff? Yeah its nice to be able to do it, but half of them have leather, and they all have electric windows. I have a 2000, and I like more that I can do it if I want, and that no matter the snow storm, rain shower, or bad weather, I am going to get there without white knuckling it. I think Jeep has to keep this brand identity, but they have to find the balance between cost and the price that people are willing ot pay, otherwise we could lose the brand. If nothing else preserve the high functionality for the people who will really use it an pay for it.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I read the article at the link you posted.. Where does it say any Jeep is going to share a platform with either Escalade or H2? DC and GM (Escalade) would probably NOT cooperate on a vehicle, IMHO anyway.

The article does say it will be 'fully off-road capable"
    Sorry about that...

Good News! The new JGC is supposed to be fully off-road capable! It will also compete with the likes of the Escalade, H2, and Navigator, for about 10k less.

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b112702.htm

I fixed it.

The 2004 GC will just be a refresh. New dash, new exterior body panels.

NOW, there's Quadra Trac I, a single speed transfer case for "Simplicity". This is NOT DC's fault, there was a Quadra Trac I Transfer case on the Wagoneer back in the 70s.
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    "The 2004 GC will just be a refresh. New dash, new exterior body panels."

For 2004 there is nothing new with the dash - only the standard trim pieces that sometimes change colors year to year will be a different, and not on all models. There are no exterior body panel changes, other than the front fascia and grille. One model, the "Freedom Edition" will have tubular rock rails. Pretty lame "refresh" if you ask me.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Give me the 5.7 Hemi, when my current lease ends I might just come back to Jeep.
    not much to this refresh. A little change in the front grill and round fog lights. Have not seen any photos showing the rear of the jeep but this sides look the same and from what i could tell the rear tail light looked the same. I dont think it work the wait to buy the 04' when i bet they get rid of these great incentive. Now i read that the 05' should be a complete redesign but then again its a wait and see thing...
    I really do not care for the new front bumper on the laredo, but with matching body color on limited or SE it does look good.
    The incentive on the 2003 is $2,500 off or take lower interest rate the 2004 is $1,500 off or take the lower interest rate. I have a 98 i really like I might just wait until MY 2005 but then again if DC has the problems like the MY 1999 then i would need to wait until at least the MY 2006. Decisions, Decisions!
  • gatorfcgatorfc Member Posts: 10
    ...of the 04 grille and front fascia when I first saw pictures of it. But, I had an 04 WJ on order (long story), and I figured I could always switch out the grille and fascia with an old style one if it bothered me enough.
      Well, a little over a month ago I took delivery of a brand new, midnight blue 04 GC Special Edition, and I have to admit I've had a change of heart. I actually like the new style now better than the old one. It differentiates the 04's, however slightly, from the previous model years.
    that could be found in the DFW area. I looked at all dealerships in the area as the incentives for the 03' are terrific. Found one in Fort Worth with 9K off with all incentives. Very Happy with the purchase.......
    with a complete makeover and that jeep will introduce a vehicle above the grand and one below the liberty. So i guess something like 3 totally new vehicles from jeep coming, yaaa hoooo.
  • youn0813youn0813 Member Posts: 28
    Yeah, the 05 GJC is going to be different. According to Automobile magazine, the GJC will have the regular 5-seater and another model that has 3rd row seats. The GJC's new design is supposed to be inspired by the very first Cherokee. So they said it would be edgy or something. And the larger one with the 3rd row seat will be the Grand Wagoner.
    I bet these SUVs are gonna look at 'futuristic' like those other new SUVs.. In other words, ugly!

I'm glad I bought the '04 GJC. I love this design.
  • o4buyero4buyer Member Posts: 4
    I have been reading messages posted in different discussions. I am concerned about the overall reliability of the vehicle after reading the postings. I get the impression it is a love or hate "thing". I wonder if the people having so many problems have the prescribed maint performed? I am prepared to purchase the basic GC Laredo (sunroof?), but am somewhat concerned. From my view, the Jeep is still the best suv for the money and best looking SUV out there. Also concerned after reading about drastic styling changes (may affect resale value?). I would appreciate any comments.
    You bet Grand Cherokee is the best looking SUV out there! Yeah I heard a lot of people complaining how the JGC has poor reliability and broke down within a year they bought it ,etc. I personally don't really believe what those people say in the first place because I think they don't really represent all the other JGCs out there. You have to take into account that JGC was 10th best selling vehicle overall(I think 2003), and more people owning this car means more problems, of course. And on top of that, I think more people unhappy with their cars talk out loud than do people who are happy with their cars. Hence, more complaining, etc about JGC.
    I have a 04 JGC Ltd, runs fine, I only have 1600 miles on it though. Previously had a 93 JGC Ltd, same color, white. That one had 150K on it and dealership repair costs started to mount up, so I just traded it in for a new one. (yeah, getting it maintained and serviced at a dealer is always expensive than doing it at some privately owned autoshops).

Everyone's gonna have problems with theirs cars, I guess in the end, it also depends on what your expectations are. I had 150K on my other JGC, well, that is just fine with me b/c that car had been everywhere. also was rusty on the bottom b/c of the saltyy places it had been.

Choice is yours, go check out JD Power and Associate, most JGCs only have 2 stars for mechanical quality, but 2 stars means average or nothing standing out.
  • wstuntzwstuntz Member Posts: 2
    I've had 3 Jeeps - all reliable (except for the brakes/rotors). Last one was a '94, and I am looking at a new one now - Overland. Not much has changed with the interior, but it is still very functional - except the seats!! These seats are very small and mushy - not nearly as comfortable as any other SUV I have considered. Also, the headrests are useless - some American manufacturers are starting to get it about headrests, not Jeep. I currently own a Chrysler 300M and it is exceptionally well designed and comfortable, so it is not a Chrysler thing.
    I like Jeep, will only buy American, but hate the thought of sitting on those seats for 50,000 miles - still shopping.
    Yeah.. sometime my JGC's seats are little uncomfortable during my 80-mile trip to my parent's house. Not always though. But if you have a good back, then I don't think it should be a problem. I have scoliosis and my neck gets stiff sometimes and during driving my nech doesn't move much and that's why I think it causes a little discomfort. But in short trips, I've never experienced any discomfort.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    If I ever buy an SUV, it will be the Grand Cherokee or the Liberty. (Excluding all those Crossovers)
This discussion has been closed.