Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Truck

Comments

• lwflwf Member Posts: 223
    "From a psychology/sociology point of view...."

Sporin,

It sounds like you're into psychology and sociology, so I presume you majored in the Arts and that maybe you studied philosophy as well. I'm just one of those brutish engineers, but I read Voltaire's Candide about 45 years ago. Remember that story and one of the main characters, Dr. Pangloss, who consistently preached that "everything is for the best, and it couldn't be any better", while in reality everything was really screwed up. He just stubbornly refused to see it that way.

It seems to me that many of the pro-Nissan arguments one reads in this forum appear to be an offshoot of the Dr. Pangloss syndrome applied to a particular manufacturer and one of its products, and the people you are complaining about are just those on the sidelines saying.....Hey, wait just a minute, that's not the way it really is....

I think you are also implying they shouldn't be heard from.
  • cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    Just wanted to clear up the difference in the several books out there, the NADA and also the
    kelly blue book get their values from reported sales by dealers, and therefore reflect over allowances for trades, (taking some discount and adding it to the trade) the black book is basically an auction report, it gets it's values
    from prices realized at an auction. Actual Cash Value (ACV) this is what your car is really worth to a dealer, because if it does not sell in a 30-50 day period it will have to be liquidated at the auction and the dealer does not want to put more than that in the vehicle.

LWF;
    since you studied philosophy, maybe you studied logic, if so, I think you know what ad nauseum and ad hominim falacies are, if not, look it up.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    This is a forum to post opinions and likes/dislikes of a certain vehicle. cncman and I had one heck of a dual over the Ford Ranger and Nissan Frontier. We stated HP/Torque/inside dimesions, outside dimensions, interior, suspensions.. everything. Did anyone win? Nope. It all came down to personal preference.
    Nissan is in trouble and will just break even this year. Once again, the "sales increases" are slight overall. And when comparing Ford, Honda, Toyota, GM are VERY small. The marriage of Renault and Nissan is not that spectacular. Renault has a bad reputation in the U.S. with its failed Alliance car of the 80's. Many are wondering if Renault may have started itself down the road to debt with this merger.
  • curt3curt3 Member Posts: 101
    This doom and gloom over the future of Nissan is spooking me more than a televangelist hawking Y2K videos. I have bought two new vehicles in the last year. The first was my 1998 Frontier and the second was a 1999 Kia Sephia. I must have jinxed both companies. Nonetheless, I thoroughly enjoy both in spite of all the negative publicity.
  • ApexEnv34ApexEnv34 Member Posts: 23
    lwf, one of your points earlier was Frontier may get worse on resale because Nissan may go down and so is Frontier. I used my experience to point out while a pickup may not be popular (Isuzu pickup is certainly scarce compared to Frontier), it still retained its resale value. In fact even your son believed he got his worth of his Nissan pickup. I am not sophisticated enough to talk psychology, just wanted to offer a different take on the relationship between resale value and annual sales data. I'd say they have little correlation on pickup trucks.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    To quote myself...
    "I am certainly not trying to strangle ANYONES right to post or say anything they want, and I honestly don't mean this as a flame, I am just curious. I think at least half the posts in this forum are from people who dislike and DO NOT EVEN OWN a Frontier. I am just curious the mindset, that's all.

It is one thing to monitor many forums(I do) and interject your view as often as you like(I do) when you see fit, I think it is another thing to just hang out in a forum to try to convince everyone that they are wrong or stupid to buy what THEY want, instead of what YOU would buy."

I am definately NOT "...implying they shouldn't be heard from."

Excellent philisophical argument, and I completely understand that you feel you NEED to be here, I was(and still am) just curious WHY people feel the need to stick around and try to convince others of thier(supposed) folly. Thanks to your very well thought out answer lwf, I now know why you feel you need to be here. Though I disagree, I appreciate your answer.

To be fair, I would also argue that people who spend countless hours defending the Frontier to people who obviously DON'T like it, are also barking up the wrong tree.

I would very much like to hear from more owners about their experiences with their truck, so I may be better informed in the event that I buy one myself. Though I, initially, got a lot of GOOD information from the last long debate, it became so muddled with opinion and questionable facts, that I found it confusing and misleading.

Thanks all.
    ApexEnv34,

I thought I had agreed with you that a seemingly not-to-popular vehicle can get sold for a good price and had pointed out it happened to me too.

cncman,

Thanks for the info on "book" value.

As far as the ad nauseum fallacy, I think it might apply to your rather long-winded arguments as well as to those of anyone else anywhere in this Edmunds bulletin board. You've taken a lot of pot shots at me over the last several months, but I'm not especially angry about it. I don't understand why you keep wanting to bring it to a personal level, but if it makes you happy, so be it.

By the way, I don't hate Nissan. I only hate what has happened to it in the last decade. In the past, I had been keeping my vehicles 9-to-11 years, but I believe I'm going to shoot for 5-to-7 in the future. Since the pickup I have now is a little over 1-year old, that means I'll be ready for another in 4-to-6 years. I had a Nissan before and I could (might) get another. But I definitely would have to see something with more and better features than what Nissan has to offer right now. I've listed the things I consider important, and your response was to ridicle me for even wanting them, much less expecting to find them. Well, I found them in some other pickup last year, so I bought it. I admit, I had to move up to full-size pickup to get the engine power I wanted (~200HP), but the extra cost seemed small to me. I might find those features in the 2003-to-2005 Nissan pickup and move back to owning a compact pickup, but because of this financial mess Nissan is in, it makes one wonder what might be there then. We'll just have to wait and see.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    There are some interesting comments on this Nissan/Renault alliance in today's AutoCom and the Detroit News.

http://www.auto.com/

http://www.detnews.com/1999/autos/9903/18/index.htm

Bob
    well LWF, I think I would agree tat we all have been a little guilty of being long winded, (but I have been getting better) I don't think I have brought it to a personal level, but if you feel that way, I apologize, it just seems to me that for your own reasons, you did not pick the frontier, and now you are out to convince those of us who did compare and chose the frontier that we were wrong and the sky is falling, I don't think
    you have made your point but you have brought up alot of other good points, as well as Vince. I just get frustrated when people make a generalization or unfounded extrapalation and won't back it up with a logical argument, so if I
    got a little nasty with you guys again, I apologize.

I think what alot of us are trying to say, is we know very well about the financial situation of Nissan and for us, it does not matter, we still
    got the best truck on the market for the least amount of money.
    Glad my notes aren't long. Since I currently don't own a Frontier, I must gracefully exist :)
    cncman,

Whatever you say doctor. Perhaps you'll be good enough to send email upstairs at Nissan telling them that you know someone who has requested that by the year 2003, at least, they have a compact pickup with an approximate 200HP/250#-ft dual-overhead-cam engine, adjustable lumbar-support in the driver's seat, analog gauges instead of idiot lights in the dashboard, and pivoting side-vent windows in the back of the King Cab? While you're at it, you may as well ask for side-body moldings to protect against parking-lot dings, even if available only as an option.

I have a hard time believing that if Nissan had that engine today, you would be able to find anyone who would or could argue with you about the possibility of inadequate power in a Nissan pickup.
    If what you got out of my post was "you shouldnt' say anything unless you wown a Frontier", then I am truly sorry for you misunderstanding, as that is CERTAINLY NOT what Imeant.

Just looking for more; reviews, trouble spots, long term evaluations, dealer stories, prices paid and owner experiences.

cncman,

any idea yet when the crew-cab will hit the showrooms?
    LWF;
    believe it or not, I did include your suggestions
    afew months ago in a reply card to Nissan that they give us. Maybe they will build one just for you in 2003, who knows!

SPorin;
    June is the big month for us, the new Xterra, crewcab frontier, maxima all will be out, I have already gotten a tremendous amount of interest
    from previous customers and folks new to nissan
    on all models, it should be a busy summer for me,
    if you stop by your local nissan dealer, they have
    a small pamphlet on the crew cab and it has a card you can mail in for more information, or if you like, you can e-mail me your mailing address and I can send one out to you. BTW have you looked at the Xterra yet, if so what do you think?
    cncman,

Thanks. We've had our differences, but I'll have to give you kudos for this. As I had once said, I had been looking and waiting for the new Nissan pickup for several years and was aware that the 3-liter V6 had been dropped ('96 I think) along with analog gauges (several years before, maybe). I had asked more than a few Nissan salesmen if there was any way they could get a message back to Nissan that they weren't providing features that would have to be in my next pickup. All I got were blank stares. It appeared that there was absolutely no feedback process in effect. And none of them could tell me why the six had been dropped. Total vacuum! I'm pleased to hear that at least the message has now gotten back to the manufacturer. Thanks again.
    From topic #896 in the SUV forum. This was so clear, I HAD to post it, then I PROMISE to shut up and let everyone just chat.

"A public forum like this is for people to offer their opinions, not to convince others they are wrong."
    --ApexEnv34

You said it SO much better then I did, thanks.

Peace
    Sporin,

No, I did not misinterpret your points. I was trying to hint people should lighten up. I was guilty of dreaded endless debates in the past.

Got to go struck a book deal now, I am sure you would give good reference :)
    That's cool. Overall, excellent points made, looking forward to more good info on the Frontier.

good luck with the book deal.
  • renonevadarenonevada Member Posts: 69
    Some comments from a NISSAN truck owner:
    Bought new in mid 1991. Auto & air. Driving consists mostly of highway driving (work). Gas mileage: 19-20 mpg average. Operating costs: normal - 3,000 mile oil change, 9,000 mile air filter change, put TEXACO SIERRA anti-freeze (100,000 mile) in.

Has been an extremely reliable truck. Never has failed to start. Currently have 105,000 miles on it. Even using the same battery that came in it when I bought the truck new 8 years ago.

One major problem: auto trans went out at 82,000 miles. Rebuild cost $1900 (Electronic 4-speed). YEEEOUCH!!!! After I caught my breath, I had to rationalize that this is a small price to pay for eight years of superior reliability.

Big question: Would I buy another one? No. I believe that there are other trucks that are as reliable without excessive trans costs.

I believe that the popularity of this truck has diminished from NISSAN as a whole as not being an effective marketer of its products. If I ever get another Japanese truck (which I seriously doubt), it will start with a T.
    Don't get up tight, Sporin; this is only recreation for the participants. I don't think anyone is trying to or expects to proselytize those with conflicting opinions. Remember the sandlot games (any sport) we played as kids? Everyone played to win, it seemed, but the real reason for being in the game was the fun (some might say thrill) of participation. Sometimes there were other kids on the sidelines who for one reason or another wouldn't play, but they would heckle those who did with lots of advice on how to do it. The kids who were in the game might have acted like they were out to kill those on the other team, but they all had a lot more in common with each other than with the non-participants whose only contribution to the game was unasked-for advice.

And the next day, no one could remember who won the game.

renonevada,
    It probably doesn't matter too much, but was that a 4 or 6 cylinder? And do you think the transmission repair cost was higher than normal and if so, was that because it was a Japanese vehicle? Actually, it was made in Tennessee, but you know what I mean.
    Today a Nissan Executive resigned. This shows how much control Renault will have over Nissan. Is this merger of Renault good? All I can remember about Renault is the dreaded Alliance sedan. There is another forum in News and Views about Nissan being 35 billion, give or take a few billion, in debt, along with how people feel about the merger and Nissan.
    lwf,
    it is a 4-cyl. As far as the tranny rebuild cost, I think that $1900 is excessive for such a small, light-duty trans. Chevy 350 and Ford 351 tranny rebuilds cost about 50% and their trannys seem to be much stronger.
    Thank you! No further questions!.....as they used to say on the Perry Mason shows.
    Point taken. Enjoy
    reno;
    I wouldn't get mad at the manufacturer, I would get mad at the place trying to charge that for a rebuild! A whole new transmission should be around that price, the parts for the transmission in the truck came from the US, they don't have to be special ordered, and actually have some of the same components as some domestic trucks, so I don't see why it should be more,

also Reno, just curious, why do you think it would be less on a toyota transmission than the Nissan
    all else being equal?

Everyone;
    someone asked before, but I have official news that this summer the 4x2 v-6 frontier will be available.
    Cncman, I'll try to be brief:

I know the trans rebuild shop. They do a good job. They were $150 more than the lowest competitor and $500 below AAMCO. I needed a good rebuild, and in this case, you get what you pay for. I'm very satisfied with the work.

A new trans was not feasible on a 6-year old truck (at that time) and a rebuilt unit to be shipped in from another location required more time than I could afford. I did what I perceived as the best alternative. As I stated, I am riding for free except for gas and routine maintenance.
    It's wonderful to not have a monthly note.

A Toyota trans would probably not be any cheaper (maybe higher due to its popularity). I only mentioned Toyota because of its reliability (I bought a Toyota that lasted me many years with
    A LOT of trouble-free miles - no brag, just fact).
    Great Reno, it seems like both the Nissan and Toyotas were both overall very reliable, thanks for your input.

I just read today in a off shoot from road and track it was called open something, maybe open
    aired or something like that, I left it up at work, anyway, I bought it because the Xterra was the cover story and wanted to read more, later inside I also saw a review with the frontier mazda
    and tacoma 4x4's going head to head to head, good
    statistics and comparisons inside, BTW the reviewers picked the frontier over the tacoma or
    Mazda, check it out, alot of other good articles about new SUV's coming out.
    It was open road magazine,
  • skgskg Member Posts: 16
    cncman said:
    "someone asked before, but I have official news that this summer the 4x2 v-6 frontier will be available."

I just picked up a copy of Open Road Magazine and read the article on the XTerra. I had already made up my mind that I was going to wait for the 6 cyl 4x2 Frontier, and now with what I read and see about the XTerra........! (And the Crew Cab looks good too!)

Choices, Choices.
    hey SKG;
    it was your e-mail I was referring to, I had dumped my trash in my e-mail so I lost you, glad you got the word, I have never heard of this magazine before is it new? How did you like it?
    I had never heard of it either, but it appears to be a quarterly publication by Road & Track that concentrates on "things that are coming down the pike", so to speak. It reads like it has been around at least a year, maybe more. It was interesting to see that Ford is going to be chopping off the back-end of the Explorer and putting a 4 ft pickup bed on it (shades of the Frontier Crew Cab); and the F150 is going crewcab with a 5 1/2 ft bed on it (Lincoln Blackwood & Ford). The magazine is definitely worth reading. The only place that I found it was at Books-a-Million.

The article on the XTerra was very good. Apparently someone has had the opportunity to spend more than just a few minutes in it. However, looling at the pictures, I just hope that it doesn't come across a crude and course as the original Isuzu Trooper. (I still haven't figured out that bulge on the tailgate!).

Very interesting read on the competion between the Mazda, Frontier, and Tacoma. I was suprized that that Tacoma was rated so low. I guess that the "bang for your buck" factor really played with the review team. I do agree that the Frontier has a comfortable ride.
  • LohengrinLohengrin Member Posts: 84
    For all you Nissan fans, you might be interested to see the 99 Truck of the Year article on www.fourwheeler.com (I don't know how to make those fancy links). I'm rather dubious of these sort of "...of the Year Awards", but they had a lot of good things to say about the Frontier. Silverado won the award, but Frontier scored the best on the offroad portion, I guess because it was the only compact truck in the running.
  • chimchimchimchim Member Posts: 3
    I heard the 4x2 V-6 King Cab called the "Desert Runner" (Nissan's immitation of the Pre Runner) is coming out in May. Does anyone have info on this truck? Nissan does not even mention it in their website.
    hey chimchim;
    this is true, except it should be out in June from what I hear, basically a 4x4 v-6 now, without a
    4x4, same ride height, powertrain, etc and special badging, should do great!
  • dominic2dominic2 Member Posts: 10
    Just wonndered if anyone knew when the Frontier CrewCab is coming(I heard June) and what the price range will be? Thank you!
  • rolonrolon Member Posts: 1
    I am considering getting a 97 XE King Cab with bedliner, alloy wheels. I will be doing some light hauling (buying a house, live near the beach, etc.). Any recommendations? I found a dealership in LA (California) county with 8-10 of these with about 22,000 miles selling for $13,180 to 13,995. Good deal? What is everyones experience with dealers? How much do they add on? I have bought used cars in the past, in KS, and it seems they always added a lot to the Edmunds price. How's that for a lot of questions?
  • curt3curt3 Member Posts: 101
    You could get a new 1999 Frontier for close to the price that you have been quoted on the 1997 model. Call me crazy, but a 1997 Nissan K-Cab with A/C and 5-speed with less than 30,000 miles should be not much more than $11,000. Good luck. I miss the styling of my 1996 King Cab but I thoroughly enjoy my 1998 Frontier.
    hey everyone,
    just wanted to let you know I read another article
    on the Xterra and it had more pics of the crew cab in it, the magazine was MT truck trend, current issue, check it out, Just hit 10,500 miles on my frontier XE kingcab, not a hiccup.
    One thing I forgot to mention, I was backing out of a driveway the other day and had the wheel turned, I heard a terrible groaning sound come from the front suspension. I was terrified, it sounded like the suspension on a twenty year old truck, also I knew I was a little rough on the truck going over speed bumps too fast and going some places a 4x2 shouldn't, I thought I had knocked something loose, I had my technician check it for me, he said it was the stops on the steering, if you have the wheel cranked all the way as I did and there is alot of suspension travel, they will rub making that groaning noise,
    it only happened that one time and since then, if I back out of a steep drive, I turn the wheel all the way and then back up a 1/4 turn, I think it takes a certain set of circumstances to make the noise as this was the only time I had heard it, but something to look out for, and don't have the
    wheel cranked all the way.
    I have experienced this same problem from my 86.5 King Cab SE since March 1987. Same description, Same circumstances. Apparently, this is a "design feature". The front suspension shows where it is rubbing when this occurs, but I have not experienced any failures or problems relating to this in 215,000 miles. Good advice on the prevention, it will work.
    cncman, have you seen the review on the Tacoma that Edmunds did? Just as we agreed too much cash for the Tacoma, along with terrible reviews on the interior. I was actually surprised Edmunds said anything bad about the Tacoma, they are usually bias towards Honda/Toyota.
    I agree vince, I think Tacoma has been the leader for a long time, and a great truck, but just too
    expensive for a working man! I think edmunds feels
    safe criticizing the toyota because it is starting
    to become a consensus out there that it is time for a change with the tacoma, and others have already drawn first blood on the tacoma.
  • jabberwockyjabberwocky Member Posts: 8
    Here's my two cents. I have been looking at the ranger, dakota and the frontier. I can't get a Ford dealer to talk to me on price, I have talked to four of them. Dodge dealer is talking on price, but I am concerned about the reliability. Nissan dealer is offering a great price.

After reading 1999 truck of the year article at fourwheeler.com I will probably get the Nissan. It addressed the biggest concern that I had, which was the "high" tranfer case gear ratio, that was mentioned in the Edmunds article. The Nissan's overall low range is lower than any of the full sized trucks. The truck also won the trail performance beating the full sized Dodge, Chevy/GMC, and Ford. This is an excellent article, thanks to whoever posted it.

Now the only decision is an SE or an XE.
    welcome to the family jabberwocky, or soon anyway,
    good choice let us know if you have further questions. Oh and no more groaning sounds since I
    don't crank the wheel all the way to the stop when I am backing out of a steep drive.
    The dealers are closed in this state on Sunday, so I couldn't get one today. I did go by the dealship and found a nice blue one that I plan to talk to them about on Monday.

Here's a couple questions. Does anyone make a lift kit for the frontier, what are the largest tires I can put on a frontier with the stock suspension and last, does anyone make a hard tonneau cover for the frontier.
    jabberwocky;
    I am sure there are custom shops that can help you, the nissans have been some of the most customized truck out there, I would suggest your yellow pages or a custom truck magazine.
    Thanks, I bought a Crystal Blue SE, for 500 over invoice and also got 500 over edmunds price on my trade in and the 5.9% interest rate.

The Ford dealer came in at 1500 over invoice. The Dodge dealer was about 700 over invoice, but I had to order the truck and he wanted to keep the dealer holdback. Also, from what I understand, there is at least a 7 week wait for manual transmisson Dodges right now.

I will keep you guys posted on how I like it.
    hey everyone,
    just read the current consumer digest buyers guide, they gave the frontier the best buy award,
    good news and goes along with the intellichoice
    best overall value award from earlier this year.
    More news on the desert runner, I should be getting them in in may instead of June, I can't wait!
  • kjtgkjtg Member Posts: 49
    cncman,
    what is the desert runner, will it have the v6.
    kjtg;
    yes it is the first 4x2 v-6 frontier, but it will be built on the 4x4 platform, looks like a winner,
    designed for those that don't need 4x4, but like the looks. Should be on the lots in 2-3 weeks.
  • kjtgkjtg Member Posts: 49
    cncman
    do you know the price, sounds good..
This discussion has been closed.