Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

F350 4wd/problem with gooseneck trailer?

kotakota Member Posts: 8
edited February 2014 in Ford
I have been told that the F350 4wd long bed will
need some type of lowering/or raising device, along
with the regular hitch install in the middle of
the bed in order to accomodate a gooseneck horse
trailer. Have any of you owners run into this?
Believe this is on the new 99 models.

Comments

• fly103fly103 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any experience with a 4WD superduty pulling a 5th wheel trailer?
    I was told that the trailer dealer can "flip" the trailer axles; that is, reposition the axles below the springs. This would seem to me to aggravate wind problems.

Any help is appreciated.
  • mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    Wind problems? Not with a 5th weel...
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    mharde

I believe John meant crosswinds, since raising the trailer height would create a higher profile.
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    And center of gravity... Bad for righting moments...
  • jim2jim2 Member Posts: 43
    I talked to three 5th wheel dealers this weekend and they all said that a 1999 Ford Superduty 4x4 pickup will not fit under any 5th wheel trailer! They mentioned flipping the axles but did not seem to recommend it. No good solution at this point. Seems Ford did not do their homework on this one.

Is there any way to email Ford to bring this to their attention?
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    What's the difference between the rear end of the 4x4 and the 4x2? I was under the impression that it was basically a 3" increase in the blocks (just like an aftermarket frame lift kit) -- this would imply that swapping 2wd blocks might be all that is needed to lower the rear end.

Judging by the number of SDs being made, I would be /very/ surprised if the gooseneck/5th wheel people didn't start building trailers to fit.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    You might try posting this question on the Happy Camper website at www.happycampers.com. They seem to have some pretty knowledgeable camper/trailer people over there.

I have seem some discussion of whether the truck manufacturers should adapt their trucks to the RV or the RV manufacturers should adjust their RV to the truck. The Ford Superduty has created some problems in the RV industry, but most manufacturers appear to be working on modifications so their product will work with the Superduty. For example, I'm buying a truck camper. The camper cannot sit in the bed because the Superduty cab size is too tall. A couple of 2x6s and some plywood seem to be the fix of choice. However, the manufacturers are creating their own platforms. There is also the issue of the camper jacks not being long enough. Once again, the RV manufacturers are working on adapting their product to the Ford, rather than vise versa. I suspect the fifth wheel manufacturers will be doing the same.
  • singer2singer2 Member Posts: 18
    As stated earlier on another line---I talked to Jim
    @ Sunnybrook in IN; he stated that Ford called him to poll their RV Mfg. Co. to see if they would adapt to the higher 4x4's, an obvious admission to the fact that Ford's product, as currently produced, is not complimenting the RV Industry.
    Therefore, they promptly put together a "kit" that is supposed to lower the rear axle---3-4"---I believe from 53" down to 49", together with the Sunnybrook using an adjustable running gear to also adjust upwards to 3". My wife and I ordered an F250, V10, 4x4, shortbed---will be using a PullRite SuperGlide hitch specifically designed for shortbeds. PS---thanks to all for making us aware of this potential problem----the Ford Dlrshp in our area were "clueless" as to what we were even talking about----and then the salesman wondered why we met with him in person to discuss this matter----could you imagine the trama when you wait X number of wks for new vehicle---and your brand new RV doesn't fit!!! Thanks again to all, and apol. for being too wordy!!! JB
  • rexlandrexland Member Posts: 1
    I pull Aljo 5th wheel with a GMC 4x4 & it barely fits. The ford 4x4's are 4" higher. Hope Ford does make a lowering kit-otherwise I will stick to GM. Love the looks of that Powerstroke & 6spd however.
  • richflynnrichflynn Member Posts: 147
    all,
    I've got a rather stupid question. I'm thinking that a 5th wheel rig is basically your home on wheels. (I don't own one yet.) They're heavy and bulky but pull nicely down the highway. Usually where a 5th wheel is parked during a trip (or voyage) is in a civilized place.

Now the stupid part; Why does one need a 4x4 to tow a 5th wheel? I just can't imagine anyone doing much off roading in a SD. Yeah, I KNOW that you CAN off road in a SD; but why? I really wouldn't want to take the chance of messing up or breaking the tow vehicle. How would you get home.

I'm not throwing bricks, I'm just wondering if I should have ordered a 4x4 and not my 4x2.

Rich
  • sam17sam17 Member Posts: 8
    Rich - I debated the same thing. I've got a 91 F350 Diesel 2WD,CC,Dually. We tow a 27' pull trailer. We live in the Northwest and like to camp year round. We decided on the 4X4 for the times that we want to go East of the Cascades and don't want to get caught. I was convinced while riding in an Expedition on snowy roads, fully travelable without chains, yet when 4WD was engaged the stability of the Vehicle was noticeably improved.
    I don't plan on serious off-road travel in my new rig (when it gets here) a F350 4X4,DRW,CC,PS. I can't imagine the bill to get this monster "unstuck".
    Just my thoughts on your questions.
    Sam
    Especially with the PSD and CC options, these trucks are so front heavy that they tend to get stuck remarkably easily. I've had mine (admittedly without the trailer) stuck in a field of slightly muddy wet grass before.
    My dad has a 97 F-350, CC, PSD, 4.10, DRW, 2x4. He lives in Alaska. He bought the truck to tow a 35 foot fifth wheel. The combined weight of truck, trailer, gear, etc. is approx. 18,500 pound. The truck is parked for the winter in the lower 48. He drives his little 4wd Bronco II in the Alaskan winters. It's very tough to not get stuck in a 2wd pickup in snow country. The duallys make it virtually impossible. The 4wd option is pretty much a required option for a dually truck in snow country.

You're right about the off-roading aspect, though. It's not like a dually truck does a lot of off-roading. I will have a pickup camper for my DRW, not a fifth wheel. I'll use the 4wd option for launching boats and winter camping in snow country. If you have the luxury of owning your truck strictly for pulling your fifth wheel in non-winter driving conditions, then the 2wd is the way to go. That's one of the reasons my folks opted for the 2wd. Of course, the other reason is that Ford did not make a 4wd CC dually in 1997.
    You're saying that its easier for a DRW 4X2 to get stuck than it is a SRW? Why is that?
    The reference to duallys and offroading is mainly because the width of a DRW truck will prevent you from going on some of the offroad trails.

The larger rear footprint of a DRW will make it so you do not get as good of traction as the narrower SRW. L/S will help a lot in the 2wd trucks. The 4wd DRW will do fine in the snow or mud. Maybe someone else can provide a more scientific reason about why a DRW won't get as good of traction. My dad jokes that his 2wd DRW could get stuck on a blade of grass.

The main reasons for getting a DRW instead of a SRW are the increased GVWR and better ride stability under a heavy load. The DRW increases your available payload by about 1,100 pounds, and will eliminate most of the swaying from side to side. If you plan on a heavy truck camper, airbags (aka air lifts) are also recommended to ensure that the truck rides level and the proper amount of weight is shifted to the front axle.
  • longhairlonghair Member Posts: 72
    I too am choosing the 4x4, but I'm keeping my Suburban as the "small off-road trail vehicle" (tongue firmly planted in cheek) . The CC DRW 4x4 is much needed in winter and wide open fields.

I think the reasons for an empty DRW having traction problems on wet grass has to do with ground pressure. One of the 4x4 mags did a discussion on this last year, but I can't remember which. The tires float on top of the grass and never get to dig down to solid ground below.
    This could start a whole 'nother debate about whether wide tires are better than narrow ones. Given a finite depth of snow or mud, the narrow ones will eventually dig down to something solid and start moving, but if the depth is greater than the wheels can go down, the wide tires will keep you on top.
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    If you want to get down to the grip surface under the mush, go for skinny as in snow tires.
    If you want to stay on top of the stuff and keep from dragging vital underneath parts, go for wide.

Clear as mud?
  • sam17sam17 Member Posts: 8
    I've got to agree with the "ground pressure" comment. I've got a slight slope to my driveway and when we get an ice/snow storm parking becomes a "take a run" and where we stop is where we are deal or I chain-up. Lowering tire pressure makes no noticeable difference as the contact patch increase isn't enough while still having enough air so the tires roll - not practical but effective is 1-Ton of Wood Pellets. Now we're talking ground pressure.
    I prefer "get's stuck on an ice cube".
  • jbwilsonjbwilson Member Posts: 1
    I just saw a notice on the Trailer Life home page that Ford has announced a fix to the "too-tall" 4WD Superduties -- it involves removing the spacer block between leaf springs and axle, changing to a shorter shock absorber, and replacing brake hoses to eliminate slack. This will lower the truck four inches. See http://www.trailerlife.com/ford_towing.html for complete article.
  • pasobility1pasobility1 Member Posts: 12
    has anyone used the spacer block alternative that Ford has come out with to aleviate the too tall superduty with a gooseneck?
  • singer4singer4 Member Posts: 43
    Paso1--no, but Wilson is correct--even the Oct. issue of TL has an article in with regard to the hgt problem with 4X4. As far as 5th wheelin', I just spoke to our local dealership, and they stipulated that they had not experienced any problems with Ford's 4X4, F250's. Ironically, the unit that is featured in TL's Oct. issue is the one that my wife and I are hoping to get---a 27 ft. Sunnybrook with a double-slide, topping out at 9600# GVWR. Sunnybrook Co. has incorporated an adjustable running gear to help accommodate any potential problems with the higher Ford products. Thanks, JB
  • pasobility1pasobility1 Member Posts: 12
    I am still struggling with the 2wd vs 4wd question. I am towing a 4 horse aluminum goosneck and will be getting a F250 diesel SWB. the towing stregth is the same for the F250 and F350, only the payload will be less in the 250. I am so worried about the height of the 4wd, but we intend to move to Oregon in the years ahead and it seems that a 4wd is a necessity there. Help. Also, would someone speak to the need of the ABS system in the F250 Thanks
This discussion has been closed.