Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I'm confused by the 'Epsilon sedans' reference.

The last generation of the 900 series were based on the same platform as the Opel Vectra, Chevrolet Malibu and Pontiac G6 - collectively known as the "Epsilon" platform.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The Saab 9-3 was an Epsilon, related to the G6 and Aura.

They took it from being a quirky turbo hatch with personality to a fairly generic sedan.

Worked for a very short period, but Saab got stuck selling HEAVILY discounted leases and nothing else. Residuals went down the drain.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,671
    Didn't the Saab 9-5 and Saturn L-series have a strong family resemblance, as well?
    Hmm, I think the Saturn L was a stretch of the Euro Chevy Vectra.

My brother owned a Vectra in Brazil, I really liked that car. Far better than the Fiat he had prior.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The L was based on the Vectra which shared a platform with the 9-5. IIRC, many mechanicals (suspension and brakes) were the same parts.
    Yeah, I'm foggy of the history of the 9-5 once it stopped being a Saab.
    The L was based on the Vectra which shared a platform with the 9-5. IIRC, many mechanicals (suspension and brakes) were the same parts.

I owned a 2003 L-series for 7 years and I'm quite familiar with the above statement. I once had to spend $1200 for new brakes (pads, rotors and calipers). Plus I had to replace the BCM twice ($600 each).

My current DD ('06 ION) is similar to the Chevy Cobalt. Much cheaper for parts.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,082
    ...and I think even for those who don't like the car, it's an interesting shot:

http://www.studebakerskytop.com/billpresslerpics7.jpg

Me driving my '63 Studebaker Lark Daytona with Avanti power and factory Skytop sunroof.

This was taken on a country road near Mantua, OH, about four years ago. The photographer had his 15-year-old daughter (!) driving his Tahoe in the left lane while he hung out the right window snapping the photo!

The car's in Australia now. Sold it last year.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,895
    Cool shot.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...nice yellow 1947 Studebaker coupe with the wrap-around rear window in Glenside, PA.
    Thanks.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    No blind spots in those babies, lemko!

"First By Far With a Postwar Car" was their slogan that year. My brother-in-law has a '49 Studebaker convertible, light yellow and a very nice car. He married into the family about five years ago and I think I reignited his long-buried appreciation of Studebakers! Not sure that's a good thing or not. ;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    edited December 2012
    They have it at a local coffee shop... Really nice day today, so a lot of cars out..

Mid-80s Porsche 911 turbo
    Two Acura NSXs
    3 Ferraris.. 328 and a Testarossa
    2 Porsche Spyder replicas
    1 Shelby Cobra 427 replica
    New BMW 1M coupe
    Late '70s Suzuki GS550 (4-cyl)
    2 mid-90s Toyota Supra Turbos
    Late model Porsche 928 S4
    BMW 2002
    Lots of Subarus- WRX, STi, STi converted Forester
    BMW E39 M5
    63 Vette convertible
    Audi S4 (1st gen)
    '67 Mustang fastback
    Vector something or other (Lambo-looking monster)
    DeTomaso Pantera
    Newer Maserati coupe
    Porsche 356C

'06 BMW 330Ci ZHP.... ;)

Not a bad line-up for 10 AM

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,671
    That is a neat shot. Almost looks like it could be out of a period-piece movie.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    A Vector?? That takes the cake.

Cars and coffee kind of thing? I just wish such things existed around here.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    there's nary a car on that list I don't like, except maybe the Shelby 427 replica---these cars are SO much nicer with a 289 or 302.
    Thanks, andre.
    edited December 2012
    I have a hard time remembering the ones I don't like.... that's why the list is so good....

Hot rods and Model A pickups don't really do it for me (but those were there, too)..

BMW 850i
    Clapped out Jetta from the '90s..
    Early '80s VW pickup (that one is actually cool)
    Alfa Romeo Milano :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    Here in the Northeast, the summer cars are put away.
    A Cruise-In would consist of a bunch of pickups with mounted plow blades. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    1974 Ford Pinto Squire in forest green metallic and the requisite wood grain paneling. It was quite rusty and a bit of a hooptie, but to even see a survivor in any condition is quite amazing.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    Was out driving with my daughter today (yet another practice session parallel parking. I think she can now teach the other kids how to do it!)

while on some local streets, an early (pre-Bumper) Gremlin passed by, then returned a few minutes later. Had a V8 (that I could hear) and I think a stick. blue. Needed paint, but body looked sound with no rust noticed.

Told my daughter that I wanted it bad. She, as usual, thought I was nuts!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

63 and partly cloudy, yesterday... pretty nice weather for the first of December in Cincinnati..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I remember as a teenager having some 60+ weather one January in Chicago quickly followed by the worst blizzard in it's history - but relax!
    Maybe I don't need to move south.

I was outside today mowing the lawn (still growing!) in a tee shirt. In December. just not right.

63 and partly cloudy, yesterday... pretty nice weather for the first of December in Cincinnati..

Was 68 yesterday here in Denver ... we need some rain or snow. Ski resorts are struggling, and the lack of precip plus high winds makes for ripe fire conditions.

Oh, wait ... there is a fire burning in Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park; it started in early October and is still going.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    >They have it at a local coffee shop... Really nice day today, so a lot of cars out..

Will they be back next Saturday for the cruise? Forcast should be definitely colder in this area. ;)

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited December 2012
    Alfa Romeo Milano

Still running? Impossible. ;)

Those were cool, though.

Don't those have aircraft style brakes?
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,700
    There's a Milano in a driveway on my way to work. Can't say if it runs, though...

What are 'aircraft style brakes'?
    A guy I used to work with owned one, and shared some battle stories.

He's still in this building so I'll have to ask him for more details about that. Must be the type of mechanism used.

I should also find out what he's driving nowadays, I'm sure something eccentric.
    Saw a red W113 "pagoda" SL zooming down 405 in the fast lane today.
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    What are 'aircraft style brakes'?
    anti lock brakes? :confuse:
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    Beats me. Only thing I know about aircraft brakes is that most all are disk brakes, but that's nothing unusual on a car, even by the late 60s.
    Saw a Merkur Scorpio this afternoon, not many of those still on the road. Also a nice light tan W123 sedan.
    2 more Saab 9000's today, a dark green and a beige/tan one.
    Also, a mid 70's F150 with a rattle can turquoise/white paint job.
    I think the guy driving it is an owner or mechanic at the local Alfa repair shop.... (obviously, the only one in town..)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

E-mailed my Alfa buddy to elaborate on what he said, but he's out of the office until the 11th. Hopefully he gets the message on his smart phone sooner than that.
    ...really nice orange-red Opel GT on Oxford Avenue near Shelmire in NE Philly.
    1986 900 Turbo (recessed lights, CHMSL - one year style), blue, looked to be in decent shape. 1986 Camry (angular body, CHMSL - one year style), looked to be in decent shape. Early 80s Tercel, looked to be in decent shape. That's the west coast.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,895
    edited December 2012
    CHMSL

I don't know if its a good thing or not that I actually knew that stood for Center High Mounted Stop Light ;)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

All I could imagine was that the Alfa driver was either talking about ABS or thrust reverser buckets! :D
    Funny! I was just going to ask.
    We are geeks :shades:
  • 4mercoachrick4mercoachrick Member Posts: 133
    I have to tell the story...1973...I'm about to buy my first new car(FIRST car was a '60 Stude Lark VIII ! 10 years old when I got it). Back to MY new car at the Mercury dealership. MOM couldn't get the idea of a silver car. "Why would ANYone want a SILVER car???" She was thinking chrome, not silver color :blush: . Anyway, we walk into the dealership and she points to a white car on the showroom floor..."Why can't you get a WHITE car?...like THAT one?" The 'white' car was a de Tomasso Pantera...$9999.00 :surprise: Next to my $2300 Mercury Capri(made in Germany back then), that Pantera might as well have cost a million bucks! :(
    I thought it was obvious what it stood for. You mean there are people that did not?

I saw a wide body Cobra yesterday, probably a clone, a company (ERA) the next town over, makes them.
    It sounded good as it drove by, even though I had the windows up.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    yep Cobra clones are a dime a dozen and really cheap to buy these days. Of course, not all clones are created equal. Buying a clone that someone put together in his garage is..well...worrisome.
    Does this count? Saw one this morning:
    That one has plates from Wolfsburg Germany, too. A surprising amount of those sold in Europe.

I don't know if I have ever noticed the continental kit before - around here, fake wood paneling and stick on flames were the rage.
    I saw one with some huge flame decals on it today!
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    I just wanted to bring your attention to this pristine example of a later W123:

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/11/29/bat-exclusive-69k-mile-4-speed-1983-mercedes- -benz-240d/

This has probably got to be the lowest-mileage 240D I've ever seen. I have driven two of them, but they were both automatics, and they had to be some of the slowest vehicles I've had the pleasure of driving. I had the accelerator down halfway expecting it to accelerate modestly, and I wasn't surprised. :)