Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's why my Range Rover buddy now drives an Explorer.
    I remember both...they did pioneer the idea of low maintenance. I wonder how dealers felt, though.

Deleted ABS as standard was a mistake, but GM supposedly did it to compete with Kia on price. Bad idea, IMHO. They had more overhead so you just can't. Better to make cars that are worth more.
    Cool car, and a true Saab. Belongs in a Swedish museum.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    I am surprised at the bid, to be honest. You really can't drive it much as these things seem to wear hard, you'd also ruin the preservation if not careful. Also, repairs.

Whenever I see a 900 Turbo, I think of this underrated movie
    Good bet to lose money. Big.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Whenever I see a 900 Turbo, I think of this underrated movie

You fintail is in a part of that clip, looks like same color as yours too lol

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Maybe the oil spot is from another car as the Esprits are mid engined, unless this one was parked nose in before :confuse:

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

edited February 2013
    Yeah, I remember that fintail - it's a W110 or the very off chance of a W111 220b - single bumpers, small taillights. Color does look like mine.

Who says an Esprit would only leak from the engine? :shades:
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,087
    That mongrel '76 GT Kammback we discussed last week sold for $870.00--2 bidders, 3 bids.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-Chevy-Vega-GT-Wagon-/160968666258?pt=US_Cars- _Trucks&hash=item257a7aec92
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    I hadn't seen that movie, but it's a riot.
    Lots of unobtanium parts there, no doubt.
    Sometimes I'm glad I was a kid in the 80s. There were some highlights.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,568
    Yeah a buddy had a 911 and you do *not* want to know what he spent on oil changes.

My '84 911 (air-cooled) held 14 quarts.... but, only 11 came out in the change... $60 oil change in 1992...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    My Dad had a black 1962 Beetle that the local mechanic ruined when he ground down the nuts and bolts so the S.A.E. tools would fit. An ex-girlfriend had a light blue 1972 Beetle that I remember nearly freezing to death while riding in it in the winter because the heater was inadequate.
    Somebody won a Vega on LMAD? He or she obviously got ZONKED! :P
    I remember that show! I remember a guy going upstage to start a Camaro, but it wouldn't.

I would've gone for the Impala myself! ;)
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,673
    Yeah, I've seen a couple Vegas as prize cars. I remember an earlier one that they said was worth about $2100, around 1972? Another episode had a '71 or '72 Coupe DeVille valued around $9000.

I also remember a later episode where they gave away a '76 Regal coupe (or could have been a Century) and they were boasting about its new, fuel-efficient V-6.

I haven't seen the Game Show Network in awhile now. I wonder if they still run those old repeats? I used to get a kick out of the Match Game.
    I wonder if they still run those old repeats? I used to get a kick out of the Match Game.

I remember the original Match Game in the '60's, and very much remember "Match Game '74", etc., in the '70's. They totally goofed off and it seemed like Gene Rayburn was a bit of a dirty old man! ;)
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    I also remember a later episode where they gave away a '76 Regal coupe (or could have been a Century) and they were boasting about its new, fuel-efficient V-6.

Yeah, that couldn't move out of it own way.

Was watching an episode of Law and Order SVU last night and an early 90s RWD Buick Roadmaster was part of the plot. I got a kick out of the lawyer later in the show calling it a Buick Regal. I guess it just sounded more familar.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,073
    A few years ago my cable carried Game Show Network and I would watch those old early-mid '70s Match Game shows. They seemed like a pretty loose bunch of panelists! Half of them smoked on-air, I suspect there were a few adult beverages consumed during the tapings, things you could never get away with today.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm shocked at the price, not merely surprised. Having owned a corral of Saab turbos, I'm equally shocked that it could go 54000 miles and not be a total wreck.

Well live and learn. Personally, I think it's money down the toilet, but there are at least two people on eBay who say I'm wrong.
    Heck, my college roommate had a dark green 1977 Dodge Aspen SE sedan and I thought it was pretty plush at the time. His previous car was a white 1965 Rambler American two-door hardtop with a red interior.
    The GM forum should be renamed "Uplander Guy versus The Usual Trolls!" :P
    A ten-year old car when I first started driving was a 1970 or 1971 model, the cutoff point before domestic cars started really going downhill. My first car was a 1968 Buick, so my impression of domestic iron was very positive.
    Why thank you, lemko (I think!).

I see myself as a little bit of truth crusader over there. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion--unless you own and enjoy GM products there. ;)

I see some of the most ridiculous "facts" posted there, I just can't let them go. LOL
    16? Are there two plugs per cylinder? Is your car a V-8?
    I got tired of fighting with those knuckleheads a long time ago. I don't answer any of their posts unless they've got something reasonable to say.
    I got tired of fighting with those knuckleheads a long time ago. I don't answer any of their posts unless they've got something reasonable to say.

No wonder you've been scarce over there lately! ;)
    ...gold 1966 Plymouth Barracuda at the Wawa on Longshore and Rising Sun Avenue in NE Philly.
    A 10 year old car from when I hit the road would have been a 1983 model, nothing more need be said :shades:
    edited February 2013
    Yes, 2 plugs per, and it's a V8. I think the plugs are also roughly $20 apiece.

Obscure cars - yesterday spotted my car's twin - another tectite W210 E55, and also a tectite E430 sport with parktronic - very rare option back in the day. This morning saw a little old lady in an immaculate 86-87 XJ6.
    edited February 2013
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/George-Romneys-Personal-Rambler-/281064157945?pt=- - US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4170bab2f9

The documentation is hard to dispute, that's for sure.

Funny, as well off as he was, to have such a pedestrian model--the lowest-line 550 in the Classic series.

I like the '63 front end better, but I always thought this was a decent-looking Rambler...although I think some '60-62 Chrysler designers must have worked on the instrument panel! LOL

Conversely, Sherwood Egbert, who was Studebaker's president from '61 to '63, had a '64 Avanti R3 as his personal car. He sold it in '68 through the Avanti club's magazine, and had his name and phone number listed! The car sold for around $75K if memory serves me, a few years ago at auction.
    First one's two tone reminds me of an Outback, just add big tires. Those wheel covers are awful.

2nd one is nice.

That last one is so neglected it's sad. Could use a Wheeler Dealers re-do.
    It would make a good street rod! :P
    I'm not a Rambler fan by any stretch, but I'd rather see it stay stock, but I'm biased that way.

Obviously, on a car like this, the ownership history means almost everything...although the car is in excellent original condition, I'll certainly say that.
    I'm not sure anyone cares much about the ownership history--maybe a little. It's not like Henry Ford's car by any stretch.

I think Mr. Romney would have been very amused to see it street-rodded.
    I'm really leery of some of the grey market/private import cars that have made it into Canuckistan - I'd want a really good inspection for rust, and to know where the cars came from. That being said, I like the low spec manual red wagon.

Maybe the Vietnam (yeah, I want a car from there!) car cost that much when new, after insane southeast Asian import duties?
    Well, he was the president of AMC. You had told me it was Mr. Egbert's ownership that had driven that Avanti to $75K a few years ago.

I will be curious to see what the Rambler brings. Certainly different than a run-of-the-mill Big Three-mobile on eBay, I'll say that.
    I am surprised he had something so relatively basic, as he was a bazillionaire even then. Nice old car.
    I worked with an older, soft-spoken, conservative fellow 30 years ago, mild-mannered accountant, and he would say whenever we'd talk cars, that his (new) '64 Rambler Classic was the best car he'd ever owned! It was white, too, but he'd always add that he had the roof painted dark blue.
    edited February 2013
    Did I tell you that? I'm sorry about that--I've changed my mind. I don't think old CEOs that are slipping out of the American consciousness (or like Egbert, not a bad fellow really, have disappeared from it) have much effect on value. Of course, all it takes is one person who thinks so, and who maybe has a Romney shrine in his garage, but I doubt there's much market effect overall.

It's a curiosity at best.
    When I was a kid, an older lady in town had a pretty 64 or so Rambler 2 door HT - red and white, I thought it was an attractive car. It was in good shape through the 90s. The wagons were also nice looking. But, the mid 60s were probably the pinnacle of American car design - almost everything was nice looking.
    But, the mid 60s were probably the pinnacle of American car design - almost everything was nice looking.

I've long thought so, but figured it was a function of those cars running around when I was a car-crazy little kid. But maybe it's true...I know you're a good bit younger than me. Good to hear! ;)
    I used to work for a Rambler dealer when I was in high school, as a kind of lot boy, valet, etc.

I remember, compared to what was on the road then, that the Ramblers were certainly built to a price. They were the Toyota Echo of their day. When I would go from a Rambler to a Buick Electra on the lot, it was like going from a stagecoach to the starship Enterprise. Well, okay, maybe not quite. :P

Even when I got my first car ever from that used car lot (Studebaker), it seems so much nicer than the Ramblers, even though it was ten years old.
    edited February 2013
    I think pro-Rambler people would think it's a plus, like the way a lot of Stude folks think Egbert is a larger-than-life figure. I will say that whenever there's an article even in a general old-car mag about the Avanti or performance packages on lesser Studes, Egbert's name is always mentioned.

With this Rambler, you've got '...it was owned by the Dad of the 2012 Republican candidate and used in the campaign', as well.

Regardless, I'll like to see what it brings.

I always heard Ramblers had excellent heaters and defrosters--seriously!

Since I personally have owned only 1963-66 Studebakers as 'hobby cars', I was surprised to see that metal instrument panel in the Rambler. My cars' dashes were all fiberglass and padded, top-to-bottom. But now that I think about it, I remember my grandparents' '63 Bel Air wagon having a metal instrument panel.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,700
    "Of course, all it takes is one person who thinks so, and who maybe has a Romney shrine in his garage, but I doubt there's much market effect overall."

And I can more easily imagine a Studebaker fan upping the bid on a 'special' Studebaker, than a Rambler fan on that Rambler. I don't see near the fan base for them.
    I was a kid in the 80s and 90s - not a high point for the automobile. I can appreciate design no matter the era. And at the same time, my dad was a car guy and had old cars, that opened my eyes too.
    edited February 2013
    And I can more easily imagine a Studebaker fan upping the bid on a 'special' Studebaker, than a Rambler fan on that Rambler. I don't see near the fan base for them.

We are a rabid bunch, for good or bad! ;)

I'm assigned to work near Harrisburg, PA the last week of Feb. The annual big Studebaker swap meet is in York, PA that very weekend, with a gorgeous '60 Hawk raffle car being given away that weekend, so I can tie the trip to the swap meet into a work expense or two! Am I lucky or what?!

(Yeah I know, doesn't take much!)