Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1998 dodge quad 1500 4x4 vs 1999 gmc seira 4x4

ry011066ry011066 Member Posts: 1
edited February 2014 in Dodge
I own a 1997 dodge slt ex-cab 4x4 and I am going
to buy a 1998 or wait and look at the 1999 gmc
truck that is coming out. Is it worth the wait for
the new gmc or is the dodge still a better truck?

Comments

• bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Im not sure if you want to wait for the 99 GM trucks, it could be awhile(strike and all). but if they get the 99 out soon definatly take a close look at both of them. Besides if you like your Ram now what the hell get another. Try to drive them both and pick your favorite.
    My two cents
    Tom
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    It's probably going to be tough to get a good resale price for a one year old truck since new vehicles lose alot of value when you drive them off the lot. Usually, it's best to keep them for at least three years or so. That might be a consideration in your decision.

I wouldn't anticipate being able to take possession of one of the new 99 Chevys until at least early next year. Once GM gets everything up and running again, the orders for the new trucks will be pretty backed up.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I agree with the above posts.

Also, remember the GMC extended cab will offer only 3 doors. A 4th door won't be available for at least another year. 4 door extended cabs are already available on Dodges and Ford Super Duties, and will be available on Ford F-150/250LDs for '99. To me a 4-door extended cab makes much more sense than a 3-door model.

Bob
  • barbwvbarbwv Member Posts: 4
    Our local dealer (who sells both dodge and chevy) says he feels the quad cab is unsafe as there is no support beam between the front and rear doors. In a rollover situation, he feels you would be in trouble. Also, because of less support, he worries about the cab "twisting". Any thoughts?
    Ford said that the reason they took longer to introduce their four door extended cab was because they designed it differently from Dodge, in a way they felt was safer. This info came from Ford, so it could be market hype. I sure haven't heard of any safety problems with the Dodge Quads, and they've been on the road for awhile now.
  • JeffCanadaJeffCanada Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking forward to test driving a 1999 GMC 4X4 Sierra when they come out, however, a good buy can be made on a 1998 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4. The difference in price may be a factor for me in which to choose. From the standpoint of features and performance, the GMC looks like the one to beat though. The 327 with a five speed would be a sporty ride for sure.
  • jprovenjproven Member Posts: 1
    Interested in any info. as to when the '99 GMC's will be in dealerships. I really need a pickup within a week or two. Chev. seems to be advertising the specific's about their '99s but nothing from GMC. Any news to use??
  • AzchevyguyAzchevyguy Member Posts: 20
    jproven,

Both trucks are coming in very slowly in dealerships. Going to see a Sierra next week when it comes in, and the Silverados should be coming in any day now. I live in Phoenix but I heard in some other parts of the country, they're in.
    I suspect you will have to order one since demand will likely exceed supply for several months. If you do manage to get one off the lot, it will likely cost you thousands more than if you order one. A dealer has little incentive to give a good deal on a truck that he can't keep on the lot.
  • NuberOneNuberOne Member Posts: 29
    I checked out the Chevy Silverado (LS) 4x4 at Thouroughbred Chevrolet in Phoenix on Saturday morning at 8:30am. They received four in and sold out by the end of the day.

If you are looking at Dodge and Ford, don't buy before checking out these trucks. They did a really good job in the re-design.

I have to wait for a four door. I read on the web (Houston Chronical) that the Sierra might come out with a four-door as early as this spring.

Can anyone confirm?
  • bgdgbgdg Member Posts: 1
    Greetings, Got to see the new Chevy today at Billy Navarre in Lake Charles, La. The 143" wheelbase adds a lot of room to the cab and a wide third door is now standard. gross gvwr was reduded to 6400(6600 monster n/a) Word on a 4-door is early 2000 w/ new sub. models come out. Elec. 4wd std.,and many so called n/c std. items. Pricy and loaded, orders on 12 week min., two came in and sold before unloading, More hp,room,opt's.,gvwr,power,grnd. clearance than dodge, also more trade in value. seeya,bgdg
    I have heard the Chevy won't have a four-dour 'till 2000 model. The GMC might have one in the spring. You would think that they would both have them at the same time.
  • slickeyeslickeye Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when and where I can get invoice prices for the 1999 Sierras?
    Nothing on Sierra's yet but invoice for the Silverados are at http://www.carprices.com
  • wxfcstrwxfcstr Member Posts: 18
    Check the prices you find on the Internet closely.
    GM is still building the old style trucks for 99.
    The 2 places I've seen prices, one on the net and the other in book, called the old style trucks "Silverdao Classic" and "Sierra Classic".
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The Chevy should be easy to denote - on the old body, Silverado was a trim level - the actual NAME is "C/K"
    I had the chevy dealer "build" my new model truck and compared the invoice price with that posted at
    http://www.carprices.com
    and they were correct.
    Also, if your not sure on the internet invoice, check the engine size. New models have different engine sizes (i.e. 5.3 liter new model rather than 5.7)
  • KatmanduKatmandu Member Posts: 24
    Being chevy "biased" I must say that I love the look of the Rams, but have not been impressed with mopar's build quality. It's pretty much the same stuff they've been selling for years. The trannys aren't as durable as a GM, the engines ARE tough however. Buy what you want but there is a reason the dodges are cheaper to buy. In the end you get what you pay for....My 2cents worth...
  • EdBedsworthEdBedsworth Member Posts: 12
    Earlier in this thread someone expressed concern stating:

Our local dealer (who sells both dodge and chevy)
    says he feels the quad cab is unsafe as there is no support beam between the front and rear doors. In a rollover situation, he feels you would be in
    trouble. Also, because of less support, he worries about the cab "twisting". Any thoughts?

A co-worker was driving into work recently. His Dodge RAM 1500 Quad-Cab has been rigged with a speaker-cell-phone and he was listening in on a conference call that I too was on. Part way through the call we all heard a tremendous crash sound followed by grunts, glass breakage and the likes. Then silence. Later that day we learned that as he was driving in a tractor trailer caught the bumper of his truck caused it do go off the road and flip multiple times down an embankment. My co-worker walked away with only some bruises and scratches. The cab while damaged did not crush or twist.

The sturdiness of his RAM made me feel better as I had bought my RAM 1500 Quad about two weeks before the accident.
  • thehoodmanthehoodman Member Posts: 1
    I bought a ram 4+4 bigest peace of [non-permissible content removed] i have owned 4 weeks old buy toyota best truck ever had
This discussion has been closed.