Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,145
    Like cars, people seem to age better today. Maybe less outright toil is to blame for it. My mother is an early boomer, and hasn't aged like her parents' generation.

That being said, my nearly 90 year old grandmother is in fairly decent shape too. Still lives in her own house, does yardwork, just stopped driving, etc.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    my father is 84 now. and while is obviously older than he used to be, pretty much just does normal stuff like anyone else would. Travels, drives, once in a while mows the lawn, etc.

on top of that, he is still an active volunteer fireman, and was just re-certified to drive the truck! he does not gear up anymore of course.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Just as 50 years ago an old car was often a rickety old thing not fit for modern roads - and older people aged similarly, today an old car can still keep up with traffic and at least not be a hazard, and older people have aged similarly. Not for the same reasons, but an amusing parallel.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    I spotted an old-style Saab, that was either an early 50s Saab 93 or a later Saab 96. It was in good shape wearing light gray paint, white walls and simple hubcaps. Unfortunately I couldn't see if it had the V4 badge.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    A 288 GTO sits beside an F40, which is engaged in a permanent face-off with a 512i BB...It's nuts and we're just getting started.

Every mission statement should be pithy like that.
    "It's a hundred and six miles to Chicago..."

Great stories and history lessons for the lucky few who get invited to the trophy room tour. And I had to laugh when I saw, "He's also building a model collection of every car he drove..." Does that guy post here?
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    spent 3 days driving around SC this weekend. Saw not one, not 2, but 3 old school beetles driving around.

2 were later models (probably around '70, before big taillights). and they were on the highway! the 3rd was in town (Greenville) but that was a real old one (small rear window). I had forgotten how much different the early ones looked (much "older? too).

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I just saw an old, old beetle convertible on the road near home. It has small tail lights and almost nonexistent bumpers front and rear. So it had to be early model. It was a dark grey color. Just old looking and dark. Top down!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,309
    In the Rocky River/West Lake area a red/cream Auburn Speedster driving down the street!
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited September 2013
    Saw a W113 SL and a ~65 Nova coupe zooming down the highway.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    Parked near the road in a driveway, with a 'For Sale' sign. Looked to be in pretty good shape. Memories of my white '61 Corvair 700 sedan came to mind and I was fleetingly tempted to look into it. Then more memories of my '61 Corvair 700 sedan came to mind and I kept driving.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,094
    edited September 2013
    Yesterday I took a college friend and her husband for a ride down Route 5 just slightly west of Erie, PA (we were at the lake for our annual college friends reunion at one who owns a lakeside house), and saw three Corvairs, in two different places...a black '63 Monza coupe 4-speed, and in the other place a '63 convertible and a '64 convertible. The black car was in the best shape. After Studebakers, I'd want Corvairs next, but I bet I'd even have more trouble finding a place to work on a Corvair than a Studebaker, unfortunately.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    White 1977-78 Lincoln Versailles with blue top and trim in a Pep Boys parking lot in Willow Grove, PA.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,846
    So.. that's where the last one is...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    Nah, there's a really nice one that shows up every year at the car show Lemko, Keystonecarfan, and I hit out in Macungie PA every year.

Even though the similar-vintage Seville was probably a superior car in just about every respect, I kinda like the Versaille, in a weird sort of way. I think they're decent looking, but the problem is that it's just so blatantly obvious what it's based on. GM did a much better job of hiding the Seville's Nova underpinnings.

In a similar vein, I think Ford had a problem with the more recent Zephyr/Mark Z. Nice looking car, but there's no hiding the fact that it was just a tarted up Fusion. I do think they're doing a better job with the latest iteration, though.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,908
    " I do think they're doing a better job with the latest iteration, though. "

Yeah, that's a pretty sharp car IMO.

I've never been a fan of the Versailles, although for the times the interior wasn't too bad.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

out driving around this AM, a Volare. 2 door, with spoilers, etc. Did not see the badging, but some version of an RT or Roadrunner sports model. actually kind of liked it!

In 1988, a flighty female relative of mine was gifted a pristine 78 Versailles by a family member. I remember going with her to pick it up (as she knew I liked cars) - as an 11 year old, I thought it was amazingly nice, it was also loaded - had moonroof, stereo, etc. I remember the ride home in it, listening to the radio and enjoying the cushy leather seats. Sadly, she ruined it within a year, I can't remember if she crashed it or killed the transmission. I want to say it was a silver and dark grey two tone.

And now she is a settled down grandma who drives a Suburban.
    Back in late 1994 or early 1995, I drove a '79 Volare with a 360-4bbl that a guy was trying to sell. It wasn't a Roadrunner, but it still had that hot engine, and did have a spoiler on it. He only wanted $500 for it. It was in fairly good shape for the most part, but the ignition was messed up, where you could start it with anything that you could stick in there, and it had a big dent in one of the rear quarters.

However, it didn't impress me all that much, because it didn't feel any quicker than the '68 Dart I was driving at the time, which just had a 318-2bbl. But, for 1979 standards it was about as musclecar-esque as you could get, most likely. By that time, GM wouldn't let you get anything bigger than a 301/305 in their downsized intermediates, with the exception of something like ~2499 Olds 350's that they slipped into the Cutlass Supreme to make the Hurst one year. And Ford wasn't doing anything hot with their Fairmont, although as light as they were, I imagine a 302-equipped model was pretty decent for the era.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    "Lincoln Versailles"

Ah, a Granada with lipstick. Maybe a small step up from a Cadillac Cimmaron Cavalier. Detroit took on a BMW 3 - Not!
    80s day this morning - saw an immaculate 85 Ciera, an 86 (it said so on the plate) 560SL with real wire wheels (not my taste), and an 87-88 DeVille with alloy wheels rather than wire caps.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    True in a way, but the Versailles was more luxurious than the Cimmaron; cushier ride, more upscale interior. Although I never rode in a Versailles, my perception, based on a few Granada V8s I drove, was that the Versailles was a decent Sunday cruiser, and didn't pretend to be a BMW alternative. It was marketed to folks who sought domestic luxury in a trimmer package. The Versailles achieved that modest goal better than the Cimarron, though probably not as well as the Seville.

I think that Cadillac aimed the Seville at luxury import buyers, whereas Lincoln's marketing goal was more modest.
    I still very-much like those '70's Sevilles, in and out. I remember Betty White's pastel light green with white vinyl top one being for sale a couple years ago...a distinctive color combination.

GM did a far-better job (IMHO) differentiating the Seville from its humble origins. I'd be surprised if a single piece of glass or sheetmetal of a Seville interchanged with a Nova. On the other hand, a Versailles WAS a Granada--even the instrument panel if I recall correctly. I did like the screaming turquoise metallic offered on the Versailles. I seem to remember a similar color on '79 Cadillacs.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    edited September 2013
    The Versailles was pretty shameless as a Granada spinoff (and the Granada itself was shamelessly marketed as some kind of affordable Mercedes), but it was much nicer trimmed than a Cimarron, from what I have seen. I think the Lincoln was seen as more of a "right size" car for the same people who would buy a larger car, whereas the Seville was definitely influenced by more trim and less glitzy European cars. Maybe the first admission that MB and BMW were taking a bite out of premium sales.

Funny thing, the bustleback Seville that replaced the clean 75-79 piled on the ostentation again, trying to mimic a 1940s Rolls Royce. I'll admit I like the bustlebacks though, at least one that is properly optioned.
    I thought at first perhaps the windshield, A-pillars, and basic structure of the front doors was the same as a Nova and Seville, but upon closer inspection, even those details seem different. While the Nova was more angular than in the past, the Seville seems a bit more, still. I imagine the cowl and B-pillar are in the same spot though, with the Seville's extra ~3.3" going in aft of the B.

Unfortunately, the one area where the Nova's roots showed through in the Seville, to me at least, was the seating position. Not enough legroom, windshield, dash, and steering wheel too close for my comfort, etc.

It's been ages since I've sat in a Granada though, so I can't remember how it, and the Versailles, would compare. I still had my '89 Gran Fury when I did though, and I do remember the Gran Fury seemed a lot bigger inside.

Judging just on looks, I think the Seville has it all over the Versailles. And of course Chrysler didn't have anything in that prestige class at the time. But, if I was going to choose one of those "small" luxury cars from that era, I think I would've gone with a fully-loaded '77-79 LeBaron or Diplomat, and just pocketed the savings. For being a guzzied up Volare, those suckers could be optioned up VERY nicely inside, with leather and whatnot. Even a regular Volare or Aspen could be pretty nice, if you opted for the Premier and S/E models. But the LeBaron/Diplomat looked much more "important".
    If I had to drive the car on a regular basis, I'd take a Bustleback over the Nova-based Seville any day, mainly because of the aforementioned seat comfort issue. As nice as the first Seville is, it still feels like a compact to me. But the Bustleback feels more like a full-sized car, just narrowed down to a roomy 4-seater. But it still has thick, plush, comfy seats, good legroom, etc.

And if you get the 1980, they're actually somewhat quick with the Caddy 368. MT tested one and got 0-60 in around 10.6 seconds. The first-gen was more like 12-13, according to most tests I've seen.
    edited September 2013
    I remember seeing a pic of an old lady driving a Nova Seville, and thinking the same thing - it wasn't particularly roomy. They are fairly attractive from outside anyway.

A 1980 Seville with metallic paint in a light/medium blue, or blue two tone (I suppose some silvers and greys would be ok too), grey, dark blue or maybe beige/tan/creme leather, moonroof, no vinyl top, no faux Rolls grille or junk on the back, alloy style wheels instead of wires or caps, etc, would be a fairly cool car.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    edited September 2013
    Nevermind, need to up my reading comprehension...
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited September 2013
    I imagine the cowl and B-pillar are in the same spot though, with the Seville's extra ~3.3" going in aft of the B.

I'd say that would be correct. According to wiki, the 75-76 models had a mandatory vinyl roof as the roof was made of two stampings: the X body front and then a special C pillar for the Seville.

Also interesting - the first 2000 Sevilles were all exactly the same in color and equipment so workers could ramp up their skills.

Personally, I'd take a non bustle back, black and silver two tone. Although, I lover the bustle back back then, I think the RWD Gen 1 is better looking today.
    Yeah, the bustleback Sevilles were neat, in their way. However, they were also a marketing and image continuity mistake, in my opinion. That's because they sent a confusing message regarding what the Seville stood for. It's one thing to offer a domestic alternative to the premium German brands, and quite another to do a cheap imitation of a super premium marque. To be clear, by super premium I'm referring to RR's price, not engineering and quality.

One of the cardinal rules of marketing and product positioning is to not confuse the buyer. To me, the bustleback Seville was Cadillac's equivalent to the Granada/Monarch, albeit in different ways. Although each of these models were cheap imitations, I think that most Granada/Monarch buyers knew they weren't getting Mercedes engineering and refinement, but the huge sales made them very successful. There was similarity in that the Granada/Monarch and Seville were short-term shots in the arm, then suffered setbacks.

Had Cadillac put its resources into refining and improving the original Seville in its second iteration, it probably would have improved its long-term prospects. Also, Cadillac should have differentiated itself from the lower priced GM brands by remaining RWD. In fact, the Olds 98/Aurora and Buick Electra/Park Avenue/Riviera should also have remained RWD. In fairness, though, I'll readily acknowledge that it's much easier to make these observations in hindsight than when tasked with doing product planning years in advance, as auto industry engineers and execs must do.

Circling back to the Versailles, I don't think it damaged the Lincoln brand too much, especially compared with what the Cimarron did to Cadillac. The Versailles was soon forgotten, but the Cimarron is still ridiculed as Cadillac's folly, much as the Vega was Chevy's folly and the Aztek was Pontiac's.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,908
    The Versailles is no different than many "luxury" cars today. We all know the MKz is a Fusion, an ES 350 is a Camry, an XTS is a Impala etc etc. the difference today is the cars the luxury models are based on are actually decent cars!

To add, I'd take a Versailles over a Cimarron any day.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited September 2013
    Yep, that's why I mentioned it - the 75 Seville was at least an attempt at Euro size and clean styling, but the 80 forgot about that and went full-on pimp. I wonder how it would have turned out if GM designers had decided to follow the trim ideal of a W123 or E12 instead, as I think they were trying to compete in relatively similar price brackets.

A lot of those execs probably still didn't think the competition was for real. They made a big mistake. They should have known something was up when Janis Joplin's song was released :)

I too would take a Versailles over a Cimarron, due to rarity and content/comfort. One like the car I rode in as a kid would be a decent enough Sunday cruiser, and it would probably get a compliment at Ford shows.

For obscure cars, I was just out and saw a Pontiac 6000, I think an earlier model - couldn't see if it had CHMSL or not, but it didn't have composite lights. Also saw an odd BMW E30, seemed to be sitting higher than usual. Did the US get the xi?
    Yes, E30xi s were sold in the U.S. I've seen more than a few over the years, but I didn't observe a height or clearance difference with the RWD E30.
    It just seemed high to me, maybe because so many nowadays have fallen into the hands of slam/stance kids, and don't look as they should. It was an updated 89(?)-91 style, if it matters.
    I don't know for certain, but I seem to remember that no-vinyl-top Sevilles started showing up in '76. The first 2,000 or so Sevilles were all silver, matching vinyl top, gray leather interior. Amazingly, our small-town dealer got one of those. I remember being astounded that it cost more than a Sedan deVille.
    The Versailles is no different than many "luxury" cars today. We all know the MKz is a Fusion, an ES 350 is a Camry, an XTS is a Impala etc etc. the difference today is the cars the luxury models are based on are actually decent cars!

Nah - most people today have no idea that those cars are cousins. We do but the vast majority of the driving public are blind to the fact.

The Versailles OTOH was easy to tell it was based on the Granada/Monarch especially when in an LM dealership.
    I don't know for certain, but I seem to remember that no-vinyl-top Sevilles started showing up in '76.

According to wiki, the 77 Seville was available with a full steel roof due to customer demand. At that point, a new full roof stamping was made.
    In all fairness, I do think they do a pretty good job these days differentiating the Impala/LaCrosse/XTS, Fusion/Mark Z, and Camry/Avalon/ES350. I imagine there are very few body panels/trim pieces, etc that would swap across them.

However, you could take a Granada, and everything that makes it a Versailles would most likely bolt, or snap, right on. The fenders, hood, doors, and quarter panels all look the same. Even the front bumper looks the same, although the Versailles has more rubber stripping, bumper guards, etc...all stuff that was no doubt optional on a Granada. The header panel, while different from a Granada, still looks like it's designed to mate up to the same fenders and hood. Oh, and the trunk was different, but that's an easy swap. The C-pillar area was thicker, but that was most likely just a slap-on extension, covered over by the vinyl roof. Chrysler did the same thing in the 1980's to differentiate a 5th Ave from a Diplomat or Gran Fury.

Inside, it looks like they even use the same dash, although a lot of the easy-swap stuff has been changed, and some of the materials upgraded. The seats and door panels are definitely nicer, but again, that's all easy-swap stuff.

It wouldn't be the first time, nor the last time, that the domestics would take a plebian, mainstream car and try to turn it into something more upscale. But it probably holds some kind of record for such lofty aspirations. A base Granada probably cost about $4,000 or so in 1977, while I'm sure a Versailles was around $10-12K.

Ford did a much better job, IMO, with the 1982 era Continental, which could be traced all the way down to a Fairmont. But I think they did a better job hiding that. Similarly, Chrysler took a lowly Volare and spun it into the '81-83 Imperial. But again here, it's not blatantly obvious.

The Cadillac Cimarron was pretty blatant, as well, but by that time, if you fully optioned up a Cavalier, I don't think there wasn't *that* huge of a price gap.
    edited September 2013
    The 77-78 Versailles didn't even differentiate the C-pillar. Now that I examine this pic, it's pretty comical, such an obvious Granada with lots of decoration:

Then for 79-80, the C-pillar was changed:

I'll admit I actually like the Granada C-pillar more, but the new pillar helped differentiate the car a bit. I suppose the new 82 Continental filled the role of this car.
    So even for '77-78, the C-pillar wasn't any different at all from a Granada? It seems a bit thicker to me, but maybe that's just because it was extra thickly padded?

I had forgotten about that '79-80 C-pillar change. I'm actually impressed a bit, that they went through the effort to change the rear doors, even! And yeah, I think that '77-78 C-pillar does look better. The blockier, thicker pillar just seems too large, and out of place on the car IMO. Even if it does differentiate it better.

I also noticed that the cutout for the taillight is different on the Versailles, being angled on the side, rather than vertical like on the Granada and Monarch. So I guess that took a slight bit of effort. But then, I guess the sheetmetal is still the same, just with a slightly different cutout for the taillight? So I could be giving them more credit than they deserve.

I'll admit that I kind of like the Monarch, as well. They seemed a bit less fussy up front than the Granada. And I liked the way the rear seemed more finished off. I never liked the exposed gas cap on the Granada, although perhaps the nicer trim levels did a better job of hiding it?
    Oh, the Versailles was a reactionary product in response to the big gap in the Lincoln product line once the second energy crisis hit. Ford didn't have as much $$$ as GM so they pulled out the make up case.

According to wiki, the base Versailles was identical except for badging and the trunk lid to the top of the line Monarch and was priced TWICE as much.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    "The 77-78 Versailles didn't even differentiate the C-pillar."

Seems like the C pillar/roof is one of the more expensive things to change on a design. Several generations of the Lexus GS has the same C pillar/roof, even though front and rear styling changed. Same for the Chrysler 200/Sebring, and the prior Fusion/MKZ. To Toyota's credit they've used all-different sheet metal on the Camry/ES twins, at least from the second generation on.
    Maybe Versailles had thicker vinyl tops, yeah. But it has to be the same C-pillar. I bet it was changed due to negative reaction - but by then the damage was done. I think the boxy 79-80 is too formal, and looks too large towards the rear. I bet Versailles depreciation was spectacular, too.
    No doubt the body stamping in that area, which must have some structural impact, is expensive. Some like the ES at least try to hide it with a slightly different window shape. I bet a Granada door would bolt right on to a 77-78 Versailles.
    So their Seville, in a way? Looks like GM won that battle. At least the Nova Seville gave little clue to its origin.
    Saw a Catera today pulling out of a Cadillac dealership. It looked to be in good shape but so odd looking. The styling compared to today's Cadillac is so different.
    actually rolling on the road. I think it was a mid-80s vintage. looked reasonably clean. Old people driving it.

but the funniest part? If had little red squares velcro'd to the corner of the license plates. Jersey people should know what this means, but it is something required for teens that are in their first year of probational driving.

yes, it seems that someone lets a 17YO drive around in a 30 YO Rolls Royce.

edited September 2013
    Ah the Catera, another goof. In Europe just an Opel Omega - kind of a German Caprice, not really a prestige car, introduced in 1994. When it is 4 years old it comes to NA as some kind of miracle sporty Caddy - with a healthy MSRP and lots of reliability quirks IIRC. I think the Euro models fared better, probably due to different powertrains.

And now it is somewhat represented by the Insignia, which we get as the Regal.
    Nice car until it needs a brake system rebuild.
    edited September 2013
    Also, the addition of ~500 pounds to the Omega, to meet Federal standards and to make it more Cadillac-like, changed the character of the Catera in a negative way. From what I read the Omega was the better of the two cars. What hurt the Catera the most, though, was its high frequency of repair record, and the owner vs. dealer squabbles over what was and wasn't covered under the warranty.

My nephew worked at a Cadillac dealer while the Catera was being sold, and he said the service department dreaded them.

And which overpaid marketing genius came up with the name "Catera?" What cruel parent would give a child such a name?

Finally, let's not forget "the Caddy that zigs" tag line. That reference to Ziggy, the duck, was more sad than funny, and especially inappropriate for a luxury brand.

For all its misses, the Catera had decent styling and drove well enough.