Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

4x4 vs. 4x2

Comments

• quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I have 4x4, but I always keep one thing in mind.
    Having 4x4 traction does not mean I won't get stuck. But if I do get stuck, it will be in a worse place!
  • dakotadakota Member Posts: 3
    I am going to buy a 4x4 soon and I have heard that buying high mileage (over 100k) 4x4 trucks is risky because they are prone to drive train problems. Any advice?
  • krankkrank Member Posts: 3
    Someone above mentioned getting like 3 to 5 MPG less with 4x4. Is this true? If you're running the truck in 2WD mode, shouldn't you get close to 4x2 mileage? Of course, you have some extra weight, but not THAT much extra.

Comments?

Steve
  • krankkrank Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone,

I live in TX and pretty much never go offroad, but I am planning on towing a boat. Would it be good to have a 4x4 to get the boat out of the water and up the boat slip? Or is 4x2 good enough? (perhaps with a locking rear)

(3000lb or less boat)

Thx,

Steve
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    if you're only going to need it to get a boat out of water, i would just get a 2WD with locking differential. I pull a boat out of the water 15-20 times a year with 2 wheel drive, and the only time i EVER had trouble, was down on the TX coast (port o' connor) after a really high tide, the boat ramp was very slimy up where it is normally dry. but i've never wished i had 4WD.

unless you know you will be at a very STEEP and very SLICK ramp, i'd just get a 2WD. best advice for pulling up a boat ramp is to slowly give it the gas, don't let your wheels start to spin. it helps having automatic trans. I did wish i had locking diff. sometimes. I think if you just get a locking diff., it should really be all you need.
  • huntmanhuntman Member Posts: 25
    I have 4x4 on my 99 GMC Sierra Ext Cab SLT. I got 4x4 because I am on a farm and use it fairly often: in fields, towing in low range, snow, and what not. I would get a LS rear axle with any truck I was to buy because without it you are just one or two wheel drive instead of two or three wheels guaranteed to move. 4x4 does decrease gas milage several miles per gallon, because of weight and parasitic drag on the truck itself. If you can afford to go without it save the money. If you need it, (not for prestige or only once a year), get it. For me I wouldn't go without it.

The new GM's are a great truck and deserve consideration. We are lucky that we have three good automakers today to be competing.

Huntman
  • mikec13mikec13 Member Posts: 26
    It turned out that we had very little bad weather this winter and I only used 4wd on the roads about 2 or 3 days. Much to my chagrin however, I wound up needing it for about a week or so just to back out of my sloping driveway when the temperature dropped after freezing rain and light snow. So it did come in handy, but I never expected that most of its use would be in reverse!
  • E3MP6E3MP6 Member Posts: 70
    Yes, 4x4's will usually run 2-3 mpg lower than a 4x2. You mentioned the weight, (that's one). Huntman picked up on the other, more drag. 4x4's sit up higher than their 4x2 counterparts (that's two). One of the mileage factors that seems to always be overlooked are the tires. 4x4's almost always come with a harder compound rubber with an off-road or street/off-road tread pattern. These can cause up to 2-3 mpg difference all by themselves (that's three). A little here, a little there, it adds up to a few mpg less.
  • mmillholenmmillholen Member Posts: 1
    I looking at a 1998 Chevrolet S-10 4x2 pickup. I was wondering if any of you own a 4x2 and what it acts like during the winter on snowy roads.
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    mmillholen
    I use to have an 1983 ranger 4x2,2.0L 4 cyl.,4 speed manual. The major pain was to get initial momentum going on the snowy roads, especially when trying to start moving on an incline. This truck did not have a limited slip rear, which might have helped with traction. I would put many bags of sand or cement in the bed, over the rear axle, which helped out a bit. Good tires are a must. Other than traction, it handled snow like any other car I've owned.
    Bob
  • sushisushi Member Posts: 99
    I live in British Columbia. It pisses rain in the summer and it barfs snow like nuts in the winter. Rear wheel drive was ok when I had a loaded bed, but not great. 4x4's were ok in the snow too, but the best performance I saw was a 4x4 that had a loaded bed. It did not slip and had great control. Mind you, we all drive slow. Even slow, I could feel the end of my 4x2 slipping out. The 4x4, loaded infront of me did not slip. That's just the snow end of the deal. I also want to go off-roading in the rockies in Whistler and around there. A 4x2, Prerunner or not, will not do if there is not a trail beaten out for you first.
  • caddyshackcaddyshack Member Posts: 6
    I have a 1996 Chevrolet S-10 extra cab 4x4 pickup. It is equipped with the 4.3 V-6 with high output option, a 5-speed manual transmission, manual transfer case, heavy duty cooling and battery package, LS interior, mid-level suspension & tire package, A/C, bucket seats and console, gauges.

I purchased the Chevy over Ford (I lean more toward Fords) because 1.) Ford has gone to electronic transfer case engagement and I would rather have a good, old fashioned lever (I have two friends who have had repeated problems with their solenoids); 2.) I could get the Chevy at a very good price (the 97's were out and the dealer was anxious to sell).

I use 4x4 regularly. I do a lot of desert and mountain driving due to my love of ghost towns and abandoned railroads, I do a lot of historical research on them and write for various periodicals. It also snows periodically here in the valley, the Sierra Nevada behind me is always snow covered in winter and going to my neighbor's house two miles up the road may have a foot of snow while I have none in my yard.

I've had several 4x4's and have not experienced increased maintanence or repairs. I get an average of 21-22mpg with the S-10 on most trips, which may include 70mph backroad driving, low range crawling, and 45mph 4x4 hi range dirt road driving. In two wheel drive highway only driving, I get the same, 21-22mpg.

I see many city folks are driving the latest 4x4 SUV's and trucks. Since a large ski area is just north of me, I see the highway crammed with them each weekend. You can always expect someone in his/her fancy, leather lined 4x4 is going to end up belly up off the road because he/she thinks that since they have 4x4 they're invincible. They're not. A 4x4 goes great forward and backward in the snow and ice, but it can spin out just as easy as any other vehicle in the same conditions. When chains or snow tires are required on the highways, I keep it at the state mandated 35mph even though I'm in 4x4. But I get passed or have a dozen impatient skiiers on my tail, then they roar off at speeds legal and sane only on dry pavement. I have at times needed to call 911 on the cell phone because another Lexus, Range Rover, Mercedes, or 4-Runner ends up as expensive junk yard fodder because of their incopitence, impatience, booze or drugs (or all of the above) on the highway.
    I totally agree
  • fostervillefosterville Member Posts: 13
    caddyshack,
    you are right on the dot about these SUV driving hipsters. that is why it gets even more dangerous when these idiots drive these things, at speeds it's not designed for and talk on their cell phones all at the same time. if they can afford these range rovers, mercedes and lexuses...raise their premiums or take SUV driving lessons.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    There's an old saying about 4WD, that having it does not mean you will not get stuck. It just means that when you do get stuck, it will be in a worse place.
  • blugillblugill Member Posts: 36
    Agreed. Never touch the 4wd unless 2wd will not work, and then only use it long enoguh to beat the fastest path to good roads.

I'm not against using 4wd to get up your driveway, or to start out from a stop sign, but as soon as you hit second gear get back in 2wd. 2wd can reach unsafe speeds, but you have a little more clue that it is unsafe, 4wd puts you into unsafe speeds no problem.

I'm also not saying that you should be stuck before you hit 4wd. When you see it happening use that shift on the fly, once you are stuck it is hard to get unstuck. But don't drive in 4wd if 2 will do. This won't save you from getting stuck everytime, but you are more likely to be close enough to civilization that the tow truck is willing to go.

I own a 2wd '88 S10. In a summer rain storm I have trouble getting started uphill. I drive it in a MN winter, but never again. I'm in the market for a 4wd. Yes I can drive without 4wd, no I don't want to try it, I've been too close to stuck.
  • senselesssenseless Member Posts: 46
    I've decided to buy a 2WD Ranger Supercab pickup over 4WD because of the initial cost and miserable gas mileage. I hate to be wasteful.

I figure that a set of tire chains will be effective in case of severe weather. I'm in PA and we can get hit once or twice a winter.

I've never owned chains and don't know how difficult they are to install. Can you share your experience?
    Chains are cool, but still suck without weight in the back
  • caddyshackcaddyshack Member Posts: 6
    As for keeping it in 2WD until stuck or using 4WD for only as long as you need it ... I don't agree. I usually shift my truck into 4WD when turning off the pavement, even if it's a bladed road at the time. Why? 1. It helps to settle the truck, especially over washboarded roads. In 2WD, the back end dances around and it's annoying. On steep upgrades, the rear end is usually bouncing around so much forward momentum is difficult to maintain. With the front end pulling, the rear end usually stays in line. 2. It gets the front end and drive train some "excersise." All the parts get some additional lubrication instead of sitting static. 3. I don't have to worry about getting into a situation that I wasn't expecting. Only once did I get stuck while in 2WD, and it was much more difficult to shift into 4WD, especially low range. I finally managed to get unstuck, but I smelled that clutch for several miles! And finally, 4. Using 4WD on marginal roads or steep roads reduces wear on both the road and your vehicle.

As for chains, if you use them regularly, you'll find tricks for making it easier. Although by the time you usually need them it's in rotten weather and no matter how good you are it's a pain to do so in such conditions. Add having to do it on the side of a busy highway during that rotten weather, well, it sure makes 4WD look real good!
  • charellecharelle Member Posts: 4
    I have a '99 Dakota 4x4. I live in MI where we get plenty of snow and I have a 30-mile drive to work on a state highway that is plowed but is rural and drifts. My question is, my manual says 4WD is not for dry roads and can damage the transfer case if used on such, so what criteria does one use to shift into 4wd? One inch of snow, two inches, more? Okay for less? What about ice? I had a '90 Mazda MPV 4WD and just switched in and out of 4WD whenever I felt the need. What about just plain wet roads during a bad thunderstorm? Also, do most people weight their trucks in winter even with 4WD? Thanks for any input. This is my first truck.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    The pavement must be wet so that there is some give in the drivetrain,otherwise it is likely to damage itself. If there is enough snow to be concerned with getting stuck use 4WD. Once out of danger of being stuck disengage. I have used 4WD in the rain. On very rare occasion when traffic is very heavy, I have shifted to 4wd to pull out into traffic to insure a quick and safe entry to trafic. As soon as I am in traffic I dissengage.
  • cr3cr3 Member Posts: 42
    i finally went 2wd because of a number of reasons. #1.more effeciant truck overall. #2.less un sprung weight. #3.rack & pinion steering [2wd only] #4.lower entry\ exit. #5.price.!!! cr3.
  • rebsterrebster Member Posts: 3
    what is the difference between chevy's locking diff and ford or dodge's limited slips? i've heard that a locking diff wears out the rear tires faster..is that true?
  • mfreemanmfreeman Member Posts: 37
    The Limited slip axles have a clutch plate in them that when you take off hard helps keep the torq up on both tires, but one tire can still spin faster.

A locker, in the same condition locks up the two tires so they both spin at the same speed no matter what.

So in a locked condition if you were to make a lot of turns, I guess it would scrub the tires, but neither one of them stay locked(or limited:) during normal driving if I understand correctly, and I've seen pictures of trucks that are on the side of hills with both difs and the lockers always have better traction when they ease it up the hillside.

Mike

P.S. Snow... That's that white fluffy stuff that falls from the sky every few years and melts when it hits the road...right. (Dallas, TX)
  • jclemenzjclemenz Member Posts: 3
    <<-- (Portland, ME)

Yeah, right ;-p
  • sredman1sredman1 Member Posts: 66
    I live in Summit County Colorado, and drive an 85 Bronco II. we get around 300 inches of snow a year. Having to drive a good 6 miles to work everyday. I NEVER once have to put it four wheel drive. just drive carefully is all it takes, and know how to use a clutch.. so my new car is just a ranger 4x2.. shouldn't have a prob
  • mfreemanmfreeman Member Posts: 37
    I had a friend with a Bronco II 4X2 that actually drove it up a muddy mountain side and made it look easier then the 4x4 jeep that was there to assist him when he got stuck. Also my dune buggy is only 2 wheel drive, and I flew past both of them at full speed. Of course I had to change cloths at camp, but I had a blast after I realized it was going to be impossible to stay dry. (Had to untrailer the dune buggy and leave the trailer at a farm near the road, and I was elected to drive it since it was very muddy)

Mike
    (waiting for my Blk Sierra Z71,5.3 sportside.)
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    I live in Alaska and wouldn't drive have a pickup without 4wd. It just makes sense on snow and ice to have the front tires, where all of the weight is, pulling vehicle. Without any weight in the back, even a slight acceleration can cause you to fishtail. I agree that you can drive extremely careful and avoid accidents, but there is no way a 2wd in snow and ice is safer than a 4wd.
  • doickledoickle Member Posts: 12
    Being an over the road truck driver I have noticed that one of the biggest problems with a great many drivers of 4x4's is over confidence. How many times have I been creeping along on snow/ice at 10-15mph only to see a big 4x4 coming up behind me at 40-50mph, just a getting it.
    I just traded in my 1998 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 for a 1999 Dodge 1 ton 4x2, one reason here in Arkansas we don't have that much snow/ice and being now retired I don't have to get out in that stuff. One reason I had a 4x4 was that I tow a 5th wheel RV, when I park the trailer at the house I have to back up my gravel driveway and the slope of the driveway transfers the weight to the front end making the rear light causing me to spin out. The 4x4 allowed me to back up w/o spinning. I said the heck with it, went back to a 4x2 and if I still have the spin out problem I'm going to have someone come in with a blade and cut down the driveway slope.
    Another thing, maintenance is less with a 4x2 than with a 4x4. Mileage is better with a 4x2, ride is better. Cost is much less.
    The overconfidence factor of 4x4 drivers is true. There are at least as many 4x4s in the ditches in the winter up here as 4x2s. The 4x4 won't help you stop any better on snow and ice, and it won't help you if you lose control at a decent rate of speed.

The place it will help is to keep you out of some of those situations where you may lose control. Just accelerating through the gears up to hwy speeds can cause a fish tail if you hit some black ice in a 2wd pickup. With all four tires moving, you avoid that situations.

I've also had situations where I am in a parking lot after a recent snowfall just spinning my tires in 2wd. As soon as I slip in 4wd, I can move. That comes in real handy when you are trying to exit a parking lot onto a busy street.
  • yourlordshipyourlordship Member Posts: 2
    What doickle is talking about (and I'll use a term from high school physics) is called: "Being able to accelerate to a stop". Talk about wheel spin.. I drive a 97 ranger regcab, shortbed, 4L, 5 speed auto, 4x2 - in New Hampshire of all places. 4.0 liters is too much for this little truck - and fun too. I do have 4 wheel ABS though. I swear by it for paved road driving. I have over 59700 miles on this truck and have only fishtailed twice in the winter. doickle is talking about: people don't know their own driving abilities, they don't know the capabilities AND limitations of their vehicles, and about tailoring their driving to the weather and road conditions. Folks need reminding that 4WD is not the security blanket that the car companies are selling it as.
  • melvin2345melvin2345 Member Posts: 1
    It doesn't really matter what you have, 4x2 or 4x4, unless you understand the limitations of each. I have a 4x4 Sierra and as long as you understand how 4x4 works, it can help you out a lot of the time. But I've seen some people put their vehicle into 4 wheel drive and think that turns it into a god damned tank. Those are the people that end up in ditches.
  • planemechplanemech Member Posts: 4
    I live in Delaware and we get about 3 snowstorms a year, most small snowfall amounts(1-3"). The last snowstorm we had I saw a few 4x4's sitting in the ditches along my drive home(35 mi. mostly highway). I watched a guy pass me, and as he tried to come into my lane, he lost it. Watched him go through snow fence, into weeds along highway. He was fine, just a bit shook up and mad, because his'4x4 couldn't handle something as little as snow.' I told him mine was doing just fine on the same road, and maybe he should learn to drive with it before he wrecks another $30,000 truck. Called me a smart@&^, but her got the ticket for driving too fast for conditions.
    Just thought I'd share that little story with you.
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    We have exactly the same problems here in rural Ontario. You can always tell the city boys on the highway, they think 4x4 equates to an ability to drive at summer speeds in blizzard conditions.

All comes down to what you are used to, I see no more accidents here than I did when I lived in UK and we had (usually) an inch or so a year. Becuase people weren't used to it there were loads of accidents.

I know of people locally who drive little 2wd cars and manage without trouble virtually all year because they have grown up with the conditions. Virtually all that will stop them is an unplowed road.
  • gobeangobean Member Posts: 8
    I live in Arizona so most of my 4x4ing is in the desert. I always go in in two wheel drive as far as I can, the 4x4 is my escape mode. Folks who don't have much outdoor experience tend to think 4x4 = unstoppable. NOT, as we all know.
    Now what is this "snow stuff ya'll are talking about". :-)
    As I look forward to the prospect of saying goodbye to my yard for the next 5 months, I have one thing to say about your snow question.

Shut Up, Shut Up, SHUT UP.

Thank you
  • aaron_aaaron_a Member Posts: 29
    Humm-
    I am not sure what that snow stuff is either, can you please explain it to us Arizona People.
    so we can join in the the conversation
    I have heard it's white and falls from the sky..
    Oh well that what happens when you live in AZ...
    Wow it's going to be 88 in Tucson today... What wonderful weather :-)
    Aaron
    Its going to be 88 here too - next June
  • blugillblugill Member Posts: 36
    Lets put it this way, I'm not impressed when I read that Jesus walked on water. I have driven miles on water, and I didn't get my tires wet.

One of my friends has a trailer home on an island in the middle of a small lake. He likes watching you southerns drive the boat around the island several times. Sometimes you can hear them disscussing how they got it there. No, no airplanes or helecoptors. Not even a boat, just a simple semi tractor. (He has a class A license and a friend to borrow the tractor from)

Andy Jordan: Please move elsewhere. We are too crowded up here as it is. I happen to like -25 tempatures. It is the heat that bothers me, and to me too hot is anything about 55.
    I have no intention of moving elsewhere. And if you are too crowded you don't live near me. And if you had read many of my posts you would know that one of the reasons for getting my truck is to carry my dog sled around. Kinda need snow to get the most out of it.

I am sorry if the wit and irony of my previous posts went over your head, I'll try better next time.
  • gobeangobean Member Posts: 8
    In reality us Arizonans know a bit about snow its not unheard of to go up north and play in the snow and back to the desert and go swimming. Snowblind and sunburn in the same day. (no pun intended on the snowblind)
  • gwmooregwmoore Member Posts: 230
    Growing up, I always had a 4wd ('77 F-150 4wd, CJ-7, CJ-5, '73 Bronco). Needless to say, I played around with them alot in high school. Tested them to the limit. And had to call upon my 4wd friends to pull me out when I got stuck. That's how you learn the limits.

Now we have a whole new batch of pickup/SUV buyers that never had 4wd when they grew up. Never learned the limits. Now when I'm crawling around when I know the conditions require it, even with 4wd, those new guys are sitting in the snow bank, pissed because their 4wd must have failed.

The funniest thing I've ever seen is during the incredible freezing rain we get up here in Oregon. The wind can push parked cars across parking lots. You need to wear golf cleats to walk. There were 4wd pickups and SUVs every 100 yards piled up on the shoulder and center median. In those conditions, the ultimate vehicle (although you really shouldn't be driving at all, but you know humans, we always find a way to justify it) is a Subaru with studs.
    We had our first snow that stuck up here in Anchorage earlier this week and it's snowing again now. It's a great time of the year if you have 4wd. I've heard input from several people who live in snow country and own 2wd pickups, but there is no way that they are safer. Even with studded tires and sand bags, the potential to fish tail is much greater. It's also just harder to push all of that weight than to pull and push it. The 2wd trucks up here have trouble getting out into traffic safely and they drive much slower on the roads, almost to the point of being dangerous to other commuters. It's not that it can't be done, but it certainly can't be done as safely.

With that said, I agree that you see alot of 4wd vehicles in the ditches. Experience and knowing your vehicles limitations are the key. Everyone should take their vehicles on empty rural side roads or large parking lots and just practice quick accelarations, fast turns, and braking on snow and ice. These are not things that you will necessarily want to do on crowded streets, but if you know what your vehicle can do, you have a much better chance of reacting in the right way and possibly avoiding an accident in an emergency situation if confronted with one, such as someone pulling out in front of you or sliding through an intersection.

There are a few keys to helping you avoid getting into accidents and staying out of the ditch with a 4wd:

First, remember that your vehicle doesn't stop any faster. You've got leave plenty of room in front of you, even if you're normally used to tailgating in the summer.

Second, you can't regain control any better if you lose control at hwy speeds, so you have to make very gradual lane changes on the hwy and you need to build speed gradually. The unforgivable sin at hwy speeds is breaking traction.

Third, when in doubt, take your foot off the gas and avoid hitting the brakes. If you lock the brakes (anti-lock brakes lock on ice), not only are you not stopping, you also have no control over the direction you are heading.

If you keep these things in mind, the chances of putting your 4wd in a ditch or getting in an accident are greatly reduced. If ypu've got a 2wd rear wheel drive truck, there are way too many winter driving precautions to list. It can be done and is done all the time, but like I said, it's a lot more dangerous to you and the other drivers on the road.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Two-wheel drive is more tricky but for the vast majority out there who can't justify the price; they have to be more careful. That doesn't mean that they are any more dangerous. I've seen more reckless driving from 4x4s than two wheel drivers.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    "Magical thinking"....

to repost one of my periodic rants on this subject:.... (climbing on his soapbox and risking a serious nosebleed from the height)

we have a serious problem in this country with "magical thinking"....

Afraid of being constrained by bad weather? Buy an SUV/4WD, ignore the operating limitations of the vehicle, then drive it as if there was no bad weather, and be amazed and outraged when the vehicle wrecks as a result of "driver error". After all you paid GOOD MONEY so you WOULDN'T HAVE TO THINK about slowing down or controlling the vehicle in the bad driving conditions. You PAID for the MAGIC TALISMAN and it DIDN'T WORK! How DARE it!

Afraid of crime? Buy a gun! Which is of course just a tool. Don't bother to take shooting lessons or learn to use the tool safely and effectively. You paid GOOD MONEY for the MAGIC TALISMAN! When the criminal takes it away from you and you become another statistic?.... How DARE it!

Alternatively, blame all crime on the possession of the MAGIC TALISMAN (i.e. gun) by the wrong sorts of people (you know who THEY are....) just ban the MAGIC TALISMAN and the crime will magically disappear. And when it doesn't... find an excuse for restricting the possession of MAGIC TALISMAN's even further. After all YOUR SIMPLISTIC MAGICAL THINKING" couldn't be WRONG could it?....

Pant, pant, pant.... Climbing carefully down from the soap box, and wiping at the bloody nose...

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
    Brutus, couldn't agree with you more, great summary.

Rocles, fair point, idiots are idiots regardless of what they drive.

Meredith - wow, remind me not to upset you (again).
  • gwmooregwmoore Member Posts: 230
    I really can't believe anyone actually argues that 2wd is just as safe as 4wd. Gee, I bet the army boys get their tanks and Hum-vees stuck during war games pretty often, maybe they should make them 2wd. An extreme example, but makes the point. If the two vehicles are driven the same way, I wonder which (4wd or 2wd) is going to be in more control? Because some people drive their 4wd trucks like idiots doesn't mean they arent safer than a 2wd.
    When factoring the extra cost of the 4wd vs the 2wd, remember to factor in the extra cost of the second set of tires that you buy for the winter driving and, of course, the periodic replacement of those tires. On the other hand, I guess your summer tires last longer. You still have to pay to have them mounted and balanced twice a year. I run on All-Terrains year round.

The one factor that remains constant in 4wd and 2wd vehicles is the driver. When you see a 4wd in the ditch, do you suppose the driver would have been any less cocky in his 2wd? A ditch diver is a ditch diver.

With that said, even the safest driver can end up in a ditch. It happens in snow country. I've been fortunate to stay out of the ditches. The last time I went into a ditch in the snow was about 19 years ago, with my rear wheel drive 70 GTO. I was an inexperienced 17 year old with way too many horses under the hood and way too much confidence behind the wheel. How does the Bob Dylan song go? I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.....
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    4x4s are a nice luxury but ultimately the driver determines the relative safety of the vehicle. I've owned a 4x4 personally only for a few years. I grew up driving two-wheel drive cars/trucks and learned the ropes the hard way in winter. The good thing is that I'm still as cautious as I was even with the 4x4.
    Drivers as a whole are getting worse regardless of safety features and conditions. It is entirely too easy to get a license let alone keeping it! It seems like technology can't catch up to the lowering standards of the drivers themselves.
    My first 4wd was an AMC Eagle in 1987. I drove it for about a year and then went to a front wheel drive Mazda 626 before getting my 92 F-250 4x4. When I got my license at 16 up here in Alaska, the two vehicles I drove were a rear wheel drive Chevette and a GMC full size van, and eventually the GTO. I've had lots of experience with rear wheel drives in snow country, which is why I'm bias to 4wd or front wheel drive. A front wheel drive with good rubber (and preferably studs) gets along almost as a good as a 4wd.
This discussion has been closed.