Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Paint color?

KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
edited February 2014 in General
Paint selections are very slim on pickup trucks.
Even when manufacturers introduce new colors, they
are often restricted, limited, or eventually
dropped altogether (dark blue comes to mind). What
paint colors would you like to see offered that
aren't - or have been dropped?

Personally, I would like to see Black Cherry (a
near-black maroon paint with red metallic flakes),
Royal Blue metallic, and Black metallic (if you've
ever seen this on a BMW or Benz, you'll know it
beats regular Black hands down). And I would
really like to see someone do a black truck with a
white center band two-tone. This would look pretty
good on both the Ford Super Duty F-series, Dodge
Ram, and Dodge Dakota.

Your votes - nothing ridiculous, just OEM colors
that don't exist now.

Comments

• stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    I'd be happy if some of the colors currently available on other vehicles were made available on the trucks. Some of the Expedition colors, for instance, are rather nice (the richer blues and reds).

As far as general OEM colors -- I do like the idea of a metallic black CC; I can't say that I'd apply the white stripe though. Just not my style.

I'd be interested in a good grey. This is a very easy color to do wrong. One of our neighbors has a newish metallic grey Ferrari -- its absolutely beautiful.
  • E3MP6E3MP6 Member Posts: 70
    There's a "Phantom Grey Pearl" I beleive Honda offered on the Prelude. BEAUTIFUL rich grey. What about the new "Ford Blue?" I've seen it on cras, but not on the F-series yet. Is it coming soon?
  • E3MP6E3MP6 Member Posts: 70
    sorry...that's CARS, not cras.
  • cobra98cobra98 Member Posts: 76
    I don't know if Dodge uses it on pickups, but I really like the new blue on the Dodge Durangos. My '85 F150 is blue and I've been thinking about repainting it that Dodge Durango blue (real bright color).
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    cobra

Yes, Dodge does use it on the pickups - it's called "Intense Blue" (very appropriate).
    thanks for the info. I think I now have a reason to go buy a paint gun :-)
  • richflynnrichflynn Member Posts: 147
    cobra98,
    I would be very careful about changing the brand of paint on any vehicle. There are compatibility issues. According to my wife's brother in-law, who works for a paint manufacturer, the modern automotive paint job is a "SYSTEM". The system starts with the bare metal preparation and goes up through primer, color coats and clear coat. Mixing between brands gets very ugly in 3-6 months.
    Rich
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Also keep in mind that most car makers use three differnt paint companies to keep prices competitive. GM for example use sherwain william PPG and and one other(cant think of it right know). But I have cross brand painted and havn't had a come back yet. I just depends on how good a painter you are.
    Thanks for the pointers. I'm by no means a professional when it comes to painting. I've painted a few vehicles many years ago, and usually end up with "better than professional" quality, but only because I keep resanding and painting until I get it right, not because I'm good :-). In short, I lose money when I paint vehicles for friends, but don't mind because it's fun and I like when I finally get it done right.

But, I wasn't aware of any new "process" involved in new paints. So, if I do get around to repainting my truck, which I probably will, I'll take it down to bare metal and hopefully that will make the paint job last for more than six months.

Thanks again for the pointers. Also, I admit I haven't done a base coat/clear coat paint job yet althought I have seen it and it seems easier/more forgiving than the acrylic enamal and the lacquer that I've done.
  • AirwolfAirwolf Member Posts: 142
    I just touched up a few areas on my 96Cobra and SCREWED the pooch. I'll have to redo the thing. I can see the primer through the paint and clear coat. I'll have to start ALL over again... At night you can't tell... during the day - forget about it - bad news.
    Just had to vent.
    Ryan
    Airwolf, Two questions. First what type for primer did you use. And what color was it. This CAN make all the differance.
    Oh I'm sure it can. I purchased the dupli-color kit from western auto (same as the one at the dealer) and it had a grey primer. That was the wrong one to use. The grey can be seen through the paint. And that touch-up paint starts drying as soon as you apply it, limiting fixit points.
    And the sanding of the clear coat was a [non-permissible content removed] too....
    Oh well, I'll just do it all over again... :)

Ryan
    To redo a paint job all you need to use is a little 320 over the clear and then use a red scotch brite to scrub it down. Also do you have access to an air compresor to use a DA sander on it. Keep me informed I'll try to help

Tom
    Well, I've gotten a few more tools for this job. Since most "primer" and "rust stopping" stuff is grey, I will use very little of it. I think I used too much last time. I also got a better grit of sandpaper and will use better touchup methods for the clearcoat. (read: less gunk this time). Probably within the next few weeks...

Ryan
  • bigfur1bigfur1 Member Posts: 34
    Good luck, also there is such a thing by shirwin williams called color prime. If your last attempt didn't, try this it'll probably do the trick.

Tom (bigfur)
  • tom201tom201 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 86 chevy silverado with the silver painted wheels w/beauty rings and they don't look too bad but I was wanting to paint the wheels only before i try to sell it cause the truck body which is white is in excellent orginal condition and painting the wheels would be the icing on the cake.. My question is can I paint these wheels successfully with the spray can paints like they sell at pep boys. Also do I need to prime them and put a clear coat on after the silver color. I really don't want to take it to a shop and put anymore money into it than I have to. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Tom
    tom201,
    My GUESS is that there may be a paint incompatibility. An easy way to test is to spray a spot on the inside surface of the wheel. Let it sit for a few days and check for compatibility.

Rich
  • AKMarkusAKMarkus Member Posts: 21
    query,

Does anyone know if Ford has declared a replacement for the Dark Blue color that they pulled earlier this year?
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    Yes. If you're referring to the SD trucks, take a look at the 1999 combined truck line brochure (white, longer than it is tall) for all the new colors.
    The new color is Deep Wedgewood Metallic (Blue). It's a nice depp blue, that is somewhat purple in bright sunlight.

Ryan
  • singer4singer4 Member Posts: 43
    Just today, I saw the color charts---the latest addition---Burnt Orange---pretty sharp!! Will probably beat the Prairie Tan that we orginally ordered. My comment on the replacement for the real kool Royal Blue that was available earlier--the Wedgewood Blue---same color as used on the Expedition----not that an exciting of a color---now I have a 21 yr old prompting me to say that!!
    But I must agree---it can't replace that previous Blue. That was really neat!! Who knows, by the time we reorder in the early Spring--several other colors may be available. Good Luck. JB
    On the subject of paint colors in general.

I've always heard that silver was the color that was the most sensitive to sun damage.

Any opinions? (My better half wants to order a silver color car. All I've ever seen is half silver and half primer after about 5-6 years in the LA sun.)

Rich
This discussion has been closed.