Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Report Your Local Gas Prices Here (retired discussion, please see the new one)

Comments

• wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    Villa Rica, Georgia....Regular...$1.33/gal. and up from there->
    Some retail stations have a 10 cent variance, others 20 cent. I wish some one in the fuel business would read this and explain to us.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    wilcox-

I first noticed the big price difference between 87 and 89 octane when I was in FL last month. There was a 15-20 cent difference between the two that we did NOT have here in CT.

I don't think ANYONE can explain it logically!

fastdriver
  • agtabbyagtabby Member Posts: 28
    Always seems +10 cents for 89, +20 for 91 octane. This seems as fixed as the law of gravity.

Right now in Phoenix AZ good price is 1.35 regular, a.k.a 87 octane.

BTW crude oil back up to 30 bucks, gas inventories tightest of last 7 years. Expect 10 cent or more rise eventually.

Andrew
    I spied this Saturday nite. A station, just a stone's throw from where I live, sells 2 octanes, 87 and 93. The price for 87 is $1.34 (not the lowest in the county)......now get this..!...they sell the premium 93 gasoline for $1.39!!!!!! Hello! I want to ask them why, but what if the preceive it as a complaint and raise it to $1.54? I use 93 in my SVT.

The brand for the above station is called PETRO.. These stations are in W. Georgia, E. Alabama, and N. Florida...anyone familar with them elswhere?
    They have the lowest price often, and seem to break out of the ten cent division in grade pricing. Must be a spot market vendor or something.... also seems like a "Mr. Patel" runs alot of them...

Know what I mean agtabby, fastdriver??
    wilcox-

YIKES! I think Mr. Patel owns a lot of the gas stations around here too! I've seen that name on some of my gas slips! Is it a common name like Jones or Smith??

Does the state ever go in to test and see if the 93 octane is REALLY 93 octane? They just had a big scandal about this in NY I think.

fastdriver
    Supposedly, fastdriver, the State is charged and responsible for testing. I once saw them run volumn test at the pump (many moons ago). I'm gonna give this issue a little priority this week and see what the State does do......
    Somebody must regulate retailers. Someone must audit the octane at the pump? Good question...
    I keep pinching, but no wake up.....
    Yesterday it was 87 octane $1.69.9, 89 octane $1.79.9 and 93 octane $189.9- back to the 10 cent difference.

fastdriver
  • trippdoggtrippdogg Member Posts: 19
    in Perth Amboy $1.3199 for regular unleaded premium was only $1.4899
    Forgot to tell you all- http://www.priceline.com has an area to click on where you can signup for "name your own price" gas!! Starts sometime in June! I've never done groceries here, but I guess it works the same way. They'll send me a card and a list of gas stations that agree to sell me the gas for the price I ask. I think they said there was a limit of $50.00 a month that you could buy the gas at "your" price.

fastdriver
  • mykemmykem Member Posts: 203
    In Chicagoland (6 county region) there is a special tax now for cleaner air or some such.

There are also stricter regulations on "Green Gas" or some nonsense like that. This gas is supposed to be more difficult to produce, costs more and of course the cost is being passed to the consumer.

I now drive about 25 miles round trip to avoid the crapoline (Crap gasoline) and excessive taxes.

I also get 30mpg (as opposed to 23mpg) on real gas rather than crapoline.

Last I heard Chicago gas is more expensive than Bay Area gas.

-m
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Fairfax County/Route 50 prices:

regular $1.59
    super $1.69
    premium $1.77

carlady/host
    You know, prices are all over the place...depends. Look at this:

Station 1: 87 Octane $1.45
    Station 2: 87 Octane $1.35
    Station 3: 87 Octane $1.25

Guess which Station this hillbilly bought from?
  • minnbillminnbill Member Posts: 28
    Wish I drove in middle Georgia. Or New Jersey.
    Latest prices here
    87 octane 1.699
    90 octane 1.739
    92 octane 1.799
  • spectre3spectre3 Member Posts: 67
    speedway gas station,

89 octane was 1.55.9 wednesday.

today, it is 1.78.9

ouch.
  • minnbillminnbill Member Posts: 28
    Forget my earlier post #73
    As of yesterday,
    87 octane 1.799
    90 octane 1.899
    92 octane 1.999
    Saw this at several SuperAmericas and Amocos (the two dominant gas stations in our area)
    Heard it will be 2.00 by July 4th. Yikes!
    in middle Georgia!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Arrgh!!!!

I just paid $ 1.789 to fill up my 95 XJ6 Vanden Plas..

This was at the Texaco On Page ave in StL County at Warson.

Reg was 1.589 and Mid Grade was 1.689.

Ya know.. I saw an old Mercedes 240D In the paper for 1900....

Bill
  • hijinxhijinx Member Posts: 7
    $2.05 - $2.21 for 87 octane. I saw $1.99 this week, but it quickly jumped up to $2.05.

In the city, I haven't seen anything less than $2.17.

Paul
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    unchanged from May 15 to May 30, but now... going UUUUUP!

from May 30
    87 - $1.459 - up 4 cents
    89 - $1.599 - up 8 cents
    93 - $1.659 - up 8 cents
    94 - $1.689 - up 9 cents
    diesel - $1.399 - up 2 cents

kcram
    Co-Host - Smart Shopper & FWI Conferences
    edmunds.com Town Hall
    for premium in my neck of woods (Ga.) is now a whopping $1.56. Gad, when will the price stop rising? Just to think, earlier last year was at least 50 cent less.......
    Due to lack of rain fall, this place feels like a desert. Pretty soon I'm gonna buy a camel.....
    Mr. Patel, who is just down the street raised his regular to $1.61. His station is usually a "cheapie". Is this a cause for the GGA?.... Gasoline Guzzlers Annoymous? Most other "cheap" stations are running $1.39.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Here in Mountain View, CA, I'm getting the following prices for gas from the cheapest stations in town (ARCO stations):

87 octane - $1.69-9/10
    89 octane - $1.79-9/10
    91 octane - $1.89-9/10

And this is actually much better than earlier in the spring when it zoomed to $1.81-9/10 at the station I frequent. $_$

But gawd, prices in the Midwest are 50 cents more expensive per gallon than here in the Bay Area! What gives? Did everyone who planned to switch over to the new reformulated gas in the Midwest goofed up big time?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    My good ol Sunoco truck stop - in just about a week's time:

87 - $1.519 - up 6 cents
    89 - $1.619 - up 2 cents
    93 - $1.679 - up 2 cents
    94 - $1.719 - up 3 cents
    diesel - $1.399 - unchanged

well, you gas-people now know how us diesel-people felt back in January and February when WE were paying $1.75-2.00 ;)

kcram
    Co-Host - Smart Shopper & FWI Conferences
    edmunds.com Town Hall
  • kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    Windsor, CT (slightly north of Hartford), premium
    at Mobil is $1.999, just 1 cent above the state average.
    New Haven- Texaco-price of REGULAR 87 unleaded $1.95!!!!!

fastdriver
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    OPEC charging more. Supply is short due to processing accidents last Winter. Reformed gasoline for the 11 areas of pollution. Law of Supply and Demand. (Gasoline is still cheap compared to postage of 25 years ago.) Let the market set the price. That is the profit and American way. We will adjust and we will pay because we are "car crazy". How to win? Buy stock in the oil companies. I like the cartoon of the family driving the horse and buggy. "We're not Amish, we're just trying to save on gas."
    $1.41 per gallon for 87 octane at RapeTrack Station...Higher elsewhere...
  • sable93sable93 Member Posts: 107
    Today I saw gas for $1.67 in Cincinnati. It was $1.81 everywhere else. I pulled in, just before a bunch of people, opened my gascap, and swiped my check card. $0.15 worth of gas later, the station ran out of unleaded gas. I then began to fill with plus (89) for $1.77 a gallon. They were almost out of that too, so it took forever to fill up. I was born in 1980, so this is the first time I've ever been at a gas station that ran out of gas, and had long lines. I thought the midwest was supposed to have a lower standard of living than other areas of the states. I guess in terms of gas, that is NOT true....
  • timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    Radio said today the average is $1.57 in this area. I paid $1.49 2 days ago at a local grocery store's station (with $.05 off using the grocery store's discount card).
  • evilhomer1evilhomer1 Member Posts: 3
    At a Citgo station on Friday, June 23:

Regular (87 octane): $1.669
    Mid-Grade (89 octane): $1.759
    Premium (93 octane): $1.849
    Arizona used to be about average for gas prices, the paper said we had the lowest in an major US city - I think you can still get 1.35 for low octane.

Yeah it is funny, used to be the midwest was cheapest, California the highest.

Andrew
    in Macon, Ga................$1.38 per gallon......
  • 20222022 Member Posts: 3
    Cheap gas, go anywhere in the US. Canadian average in this town 79.9 litre for regular / converts to 3.0242 US gallon, and you folks think 2.00 gallon is high.
    Still $1.99 for Mobil premium (93 octane) in Northern CT. Drove up to southern Mass (agawam area) about 20 miles and found mobil premium (93) for $1.77. Good deal, though I don't think either state does that MTBE crap (I think CT did at one point, but I couldn't find any stickers last time I went to the local mobil here...plus we've gotten decent mileage on the local mobil).
    kevm14-

CT gas does have MTBE. Not sure about MA. Between that and the CA emissions on my 300M, my mileage stinks! It has been better since I moved up to 89 octane gas last March.

fastdriver

PS CT does plan to eliminate the MTBE, but they said it would take about 7 years to do so! By then, everyone's well water will be polluted or else they'll all be dead from it.
  • caravellocaravello Member Posts: 1
    Premium gas has been steadily decreasing in he past week. Premium (93 octane) was down to about$2.05 in the Flint MI area.
    Georgia. Petro brand selling at 96 cent a gallon. Yeah, it was a grand opening.....only lasted for a mere three hours....

Overall, $1.38 is bout the cheapest, while $1.65 is bout the highest....for 87. Quite a spread.
    Is MTBE any different than oxygenating the gas? I thought CT added crap to the gas only in the winter months.
    Aside from any mileage differences, I can't discern any performance difference between MA gas and CT gas (both Mobil 93 octane).

All I know is, if your car requires premium, put it in! It really makes a difference. I ran out of gas once and the DOT came and put a gallon or two of their gas into my tank. The car ran like s**t after that! (until I got a tankful of 93 again...) I bet it was just 87, too. Even with the knock sensor, you could hear a little bit of pinging, and boy was it sluggish.
    MBTE and Ethyl alcohol. Both have problems.

MBTE can contaminate water and is nasty, but then again gasoline is pretty much made out of nasty junk. Ethyl alcohol is super expensive and is only made economical by federal laws giving it a tax break, this is an additive that makes not economic sense but is supported by political favoratism.

It is not even clear how much oxygenaters reduce pollution, they help over-rich dirty cars the most.

Andrew
    Well, today the .32 per gallon gas tax in CT is SUPPOSED to drop .07 to .25 a gallon. HOWEVER, the state said that since the gas station owners pay the tax WHEN they get a delivery, they don't have to lower their price by .07 today until they get their next supply of gas. HOW are we supposed to know WHEN they got their last supply and when they'll be getting their next order? I guess I could ask, but how truthful will they be?

It just seems funny that as soon as the price per barrel goes up, the price at the pumps is raised the NEXT day. The station DIDN'T pay this increase for the supply they already have? When the price drops, it's weeks or months before the price goes down. The average consumer has no way to know when the prices really should go up or down. As of June 24, the Mobil station in So. CT where I go had the following prices: $1.87.9 for 87, $1.91.9 for 89 and $1.95.9 for 93.

fastdriver
  • mykemmykem Member Posts: 203
    I got my Gasonline card this past weekend. Unfortunately I probably won't have a use for a couple days.

Preliminary set-up shows my area average at 1.88. I have a low chance (< 33%) of getting gas at 1.73, and a great chance (> 85%) at 1.83 (87 octane).

A couple "caveats"

o You will get charged a $3 fee each month you use the service (first 90 days free). But the fee is shared with the grocery fee, so if you have both you don't get double-dinged. I figured out that if I get 30 gallons of gas at a dime less, it's a break-even point.

o You gotta use a **MAJOR** credit/debit card (Visa/MC/Amex/Discover). No Mobil/Shell/Amoco/Marathon/Philips 66/etc Oil company Cards. If you're used to using those, you'll have to change.

o You get billed through the website, not the pump. The Priceline Gas card is inserted into the pump instead and you have a PIN to punch in on the pump to get "your price."

Terms and conditions at https://gasoline.priceline.com/gas/termsandconditions.asp

Cheers,
    -m
    Went BY my Mobil station today- prices did drop .07 cents! Now it's "ONLY" $180.0 for 87, $184.9 for 89 and $188.9 for 93. Filled up last night in Keene, New Hampshire for $166.9 for 89 octane at a CITGO station.

One question- there was a separate pump at this station that had 110 OCTANE gas for something like $3.89.9 a GALLON!!! WHAT is that?? Race car fuel?? There is a racetrack nearby.

fastdriver
    Forgot- Waiting for my priceline.com gas card too! Let's see what a bargain this turns out to be.

fastdriver
    Got my priceline.com gas card yesterday. Went to their website and did all the necessary stuff. BOTTOM LINE- Filled up today with 89 octane Sunoco gas for $163.9 cents!!! Price at the pump today was 181.9!!!!!! Pretty good savings! Next time I'll go for a LOWER price and see what happens.

Get one!

fastdriver
    $1.899 for mobil premium, a 10 cent drop.
    Dolla farty four for ragoler.....premo stuff is moe.
    One dot four one - 87 octane.

Is this the beginning of the down hill slide they have been talking about?
This discussion has been closed.