Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1999 F-250 Light Duty Info (not F-250SD, not F-150)

ford_manford_man Member Posts: 16
edited March 2014 in Ford
I'd like to exchange information on the 1999 Ford
F-250 Light Duty trucks. They have the sportier
body style of the F-150 but carry higher payload
and towing capacities. They really are not in the
same class with the F-250 SuperDuty truck which is
more of a commercial grade truck.

My new truck has the following features:
5.4L Triton V-8
3.73 Limited Slip Differential
Class III Towing Pkg w/Tranny & Engine Cooling
Supercab with 4 doors, CD Player, etc.

Joel Mc

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Is your truck an XLT? 4x4? 7200 or 7700 GVW? Auto or manuel? Gas mileage? How do you like it? What year is it?

Bob
  • ford_manford_man Member Posts: 16
    I got the 1999 XLT 7700 GVW Auto w/Overdrive. 5.4 V8, 3.73 LS Diff. So far I've only filled up 3 times. Here's my MPG:

In-town 12.97 MPG
    Highway 18.05 MPG (70MPH w/AC)
    In-town 13.59 MPG

I've only had the truck for 11 days but absolutely love it so far.

Joel Mc
    Are there any 1999 F-250 Light Duty Owners out there besides me?
  • physicist1physicist1 Member Posts: 2
    ford man, I just drove my first 4x4 ever - a '99 F250LD in two tone Wedgewood Blue. I was amazed at the improvement in quality (a friend has a '94 250HD), especially the interior design and lack of spqueaks and rattles. Ford has built a "pick up truck" that is more solid than my squeaky Neon. That pickup felt like it had Honda quality in it or something. I never expected a PU to be that nice. Aside from the sticker shock ($30.8k) and gas mileage, I'd love to have one. If interest rates continue to fall (and my job holds up), I'd consider getting that truck at the end of the year clearance. I'll try to make it back here to check up on how things are going. After owning a Dodge, reliability has becom paramount. So please include any problems you have.
    I really do love my new '99 F-250LD. You're right about the interior. They have greatly improved the dashboard, controls, seating, etc. Both the interior and the ride are much like a luxury car. The only downside (as is the case with all pickups) is that it is a little bit light in the rear-end. So far my gas mileage contines to be great (approx 18 Hwy, 13-14 in town)

So far, NO PROBLEMS to report.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    I was browsing through a magazine shop at an airport about a week ago and saw that one of the regular auto magazines had an article on the F-250LD. I believe it was one of the major 4wd mags, but I can't remember which one. The magazine people had driven the truck for 1 year, so the article was based on their use of the vehicle in a multitude of applications over that period of time. It was more than a simple test drive. The F-250LD seemed to do quite well. Next time you are in a book store, you might try to find the magazine.
    Brutus,

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes open for the mag you described. I want to know what others think of the F-250LD.

I must say that driving around the DFW metroplex I rarely see any other F-250LDs.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    From what I've seen, the pickup of choice in the DFW area appear to be of the 1/2 ton variety. I was in Houston for a few days about a month ago. It's a totally different scene down there. There are a lot more 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I saw a significant number of duallys as well.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    I travel most of the major cities of Texas except for DFW, and everywhere in between, I really don't see any F250LD. It seems to me they should just bump the F150 tow rating up, and make one model. I'd be interested to see the particular sales of each model.
    I was also wondering how many they actually sell. I would assume that they are selling enough to keep the F250LD and F150 lines separate.
    I posted this a while back: I think Ford should rebadge the F-250LD as a F-150HD. The current F-250LD is currently perceived as as a light-duty commercial truck and/or a heavy-duty personal use vehicle. Almost all commercial buyers opt for the F-250SD. Few personal use buyers want a "250". Also there is too much confusion between the two different F-250s (LD & SD).

Ford would sell a lot more models if they just rebadged the model.

Bob
  • tcwtcw Member Posts: 14
    OK, I have looked at the Edmund's reviews and specs for the 150 and 250 (light duty), and can't decipher much about the differences. Is it just a heavier duty rear axle and extra spring? Anything different in the front end? Same transmission? And the big question, did anyone compare the ride?
    tom
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The one thing that really stinks about the 250LD, especially if you are used to customizing, is the wheel. The F250LD is the only truck on the road that uses a 7 lug wheel.

Other than that, the F250LD is just a 150 with stronger springs.
    KC

The F-150 with the 17" rims also has a 7-lug pattern.

Bob
    you sure Bob? All the 17" wheels I've seen both in catalogs and on the road are 5-lug on the 150. I have the 99 F-series catalog, and it shows both 17" wheels with 5 lugs.
    Well guys I'm back from my colorado elk hunt with a 5x5 and I couldn't be happier with my F-250LD. I feel it has a great ride and a much sportier look than the F-250SD (aka 55 Buick frontend). I've had it since labor day and I can't find a thing wrong with it!

The 7 lug wheels don't bother me because I have no plans for customization (other than a sprayed in bedliner).

Happy trucking... Joel Mc
    KC

I remember some car (truck?) magazine, when the new F-150 was introduced, commented - and complained - that it would be tough to find 17" after-market wheels for the F-150 because it has a 7 lug pattern.

Can anybody out there with an F-150 w/17" wheels clear this up?

Bob
    KC

I stand corrected. The F-150 does indeed have 5-lug rims, even with the 17" version. The article I referred to in the above post was addressing the odd 17" rim vs. a more commonplace 16" rims, not the issue of how many lugs it had.

Bob
    customizers had problems with the ford rims on these trucks because ford designed some special o-ring of sorts on the rims for vibration damping. at least thats what i heard.
    Ford has always managed to do something strange with either rims or tire sizes that gives a near exclusive to one set of suppliers until there's enough demand for the aftermarket to bother with it. Examples: the P265/75R15 on thge 1992 F150 (exclusive to Goodyear for well ovver a year), 7-lug wheels on 1997 F250LD, LT265/75R16E on the 99 Super Duty (no one had made anything stronger than a D-rating til this application).
  • whitey2whitey2 Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a '99 F150 4x4, will be trading in my '97 F250ld 4x4. I ordered the F250ld 'cuz it was the only way to get a 3.73 rear gear in '97. The F250ld without the air suspension offers a pretty harsh ride from the rear end. It's not worth the extra money unless you need the additional payload capacity. The trailer towing capacity is too close to count.
    I'm still lovin' my 99 F-250LD 5.4L, 3.73 4x2. Had it since Labor Day and can't find a thing wrong with it. Any other new F-250LD owners out there? I'd like to hear your comments.

Joel Mc
  • bigmaxbigmax Member Posts: 11
    To Edmunds,I am interested in a ford F250 lite duty,all l see is pricing info on the F250 superduty,are you going to put pricing info up on the Ford F250 lite duty?
    thanks
    I also have looked for the F-250LD pricing many many times. Even though I already have mine now I'd be interested in a review of the 1999 model and pricing but it has never appeared. Any plans to provide this info?

Joel Mc
  • ruzruz Member Posts: 59
    As soon as the pricing becomes available on the site, I'll let you all know. I'm not sure what's taking so long...
  • rite3rite3 Member Posts: 69
    ford man,
    I have about 3k on my 98 F250 ld 4x4 sc sb with the 5.4( the old one) and the 3.73's. I was dead set on getting a superduty, But my needs had changed in the months it took to get a straight answer from ford so I ended up getting My light duty instead. I have had it in the service dept twice, once for a leaking rear slider, and once for the tranny. I think mine slips, they dont. I will probably end up taking it to another dealer to get a 2nd opinion. When doing 40 or 45 if you let off the gas and then get back into it I think it overrevs and then after about 1 or 2 seconds it makes a dull thump and pops into gear. I know its a long explination, I hope you get my point, does yours ever do that?. I havent been keeping track of the mileage, but I did put 285 75r16s on it 2 weeks ago because in my opinion the stock booties were crap. Mine had 245 75r16 Goodyear AP's on it which I sold to a coworker for 200 bucks. And was happy to get it. I go to a tire store chain we have out west called Les Schwab and the kid who was putting on my tires said they had a set of 99 sd lariat alloys that would fit my truck for sale. 400 for all 4 of them. I declined. Some of the people reading this might understand the humor behind that. Thanks to all.
    rite3,

Thanks for the info. I haven't noticed any tranny problems like the one you've described. Hopefully, won't have any. With regard to the tires I also got the GY 245 75R16s. They seem to work for me ok. Let me know if you have any other problems and I'll do the same.

So far, lovin my truck...
  • bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
    1999 Ford Trucks, as of last week, AND, coming next week, should be a new Road Test of the 1999 Ford F150/F250 Series Light Duty Pickups.

Watch the www.edmunds.com front page for the link, and let us know what you think!

Community Manager
  • kingfish3kingfish3 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a used 97 F250 (I would call it a medium duty instead of light or heavy) this summer. I have put about 6,000 miles on it myself. It now has 24,000 miles on it. It seems to be very solid and has no sqeeks or raddles. Has anyone out there put dual exhaust on theirs yet? What is the biggest camper or boat you have hauled with it?
  • bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
    the 1999 Ford F-Series Light Duty review by Karl Brauer yet, check it out.

Community Manager
    Anybody, beside myself, ever wonder why Ford doesn't offer an F-250LD long-bed Super Cab? It's offered on the F-150.

Now Ford has introduced for the 2000 model year (due next winter) an F-150 Crew Cab - on the short-wheelbase Super Cab Chassis - not the long-wheelbase Super Cab chassis. Ford lopped off 12" of bed length from the current short-bed (making it a 5.75' bed) in order to do this. So, Ford will be offering "three" bed lengths for the F-150 line ("Four" bed lengths if you include the Lincoln Blackwood!)

Why have they decided not to offer the F-150 Crew Cab with the long-wheelbase Super Cab chassis (with a 6.75' bed)? Or, not offer a long-bed F-250 Super Cab?

Does Ford not feel that the long-wheelbase Super Cab chassis is not strong enough to handle the abuse an F-150 Crew Cab (with a 6.75' bed) or an F-250LD owner might put it to?

Or...

Forget the above... Maybe Ford planning to offer a F-250LD Crew Cab with a 6.75' bed (along with a long-wheelbase F-250LD Super Cab) in the future?

Ya gotta wonder.

Bob
    the frame may be too long and not stiff enough to handle the extra mid chassis weight (on the supercab lwb). maybe...
  • chuck007chuck007 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 97 F250 (LD) 4x4 extended cab with the 5.4L and the self leveling rear. First, how can I tell which rear axle I have (believe it is a 3.73) and if it is limited slip or not? Can this be read from the VIN # The truck has 24K miles and is in excellent shape. I plan to tow a trailer with it...around 6-7K lbs and hope it will do this comfortably.
  • buzzbbuzzb Member Posts: 13
    Can anybody supply any MPG data on 99 F-250 LD 4X4 with 5.4 L and 3.73 rear?
  • bubba19bubba19 Member Posts: 16
    CHUCK007,

Can you tell me what kind of fuel milage the 5.4 L is giving you. I am just about to order. I know the 7.3 will get 22 after a few breakin miles, but I have not read anything on the 5.4. I am going to try to keep this truck about 5 years and I would like to know about both. Thanks.
  • chuck007chuck007 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Bubba....haven't put enough miles on it yet but the first tank got 13 mpg solo. Will add more info later if you like.
    I have almost 10,000 miles on my '99 F-250LD w/5.4 V8 and 3.73LS rearend. It is a 4x2 not 4x4. I have averaged consistently 13MPG intown and 15MPG on the highway.

Joel Mc
  • jack38jack38 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 97' 250 LD 4X4 with 5.4 auto. Average approx 12 - 15 in the city and 23 MPG on highway trips. Note: canadian gallon is slightly larger than US gallon. My buddy has a 98 chev 1500 5.7 litre 3.73 rear end can't manage more than 20 MPG.
    The 5.4 L is great on gas. Too bad the engine is plaqued with piston slap problems.
  • bubba19bubba19 Member Posts: 16
    Hey Guys,

This is the reason I'm going with the diesel and not the 5.4L ( PISTON SLAP). My wife said this truck will be in my driveway for a long time.
    So I opted for the diesel a 6 year love affair. I drive about 25,000 a year and would like too drive it in instead of in sitting in the shop, whats my story and I set here and wounder who will have the next truck that everyone must have.

Have a good weekend. SP: go ORLANDO MAGIC.
  • mjcookmjcook Member Posts: 1
    I'd like some feedback from all of you experienced trailer towers in the group.
    My wife and I are looking at getting a trailer with a GVWR of 7000 lbs. Gross dry wt. around 5000 lbs. so we'll pack it to around 6000 or so. BTW, she wants a 5th wheel, but I want a travel trailer so I can put on a canopy (extra weight - 200lbs?) and load the bed with toys (bikes, kayaks on top of the canopy, etc - more weight - 300 lbs?).
    So, our dilemma: which to buy?
    Our choices are as follows:
    - F-150 short bed SuperCab 4x4 with auto 5.4 V8 and 3.73; max GCWR is 12700 lbs and max trailer wt. is 7600 lbs (includes weight of trailer, cargo, passengers, fuel, water, etc.)
    It appears we're pushing the limit here.
    - F-250 Super Duty short bed SuperCab 4x4 with auto V8 and 4.10 or auto V10 and 3.73
    The V8/4.10 has a GCWR of 15000 and 8900 max trailer wt.
    The v10/3.73 has a GCWR of 17000 and 10800 max trailer wt.
    Note that I didn't opt for the V8 and 3.73 (13500 and 7400) since it was close to the F-150

I (we - she'll be driving it too) prefer the F-150 for comfort and ride since it will be my primary vehicle. I put on about 15000 miles/yr and ski 50 plus days a year, hence the need for the 4x4. We plan to occasionally take the trailer to ski areas since it will be winterized (Arctic Fox line). We live in the Pacific Northwest so we drive a lot of mountain passes, especially with a trailer in tow. We expect to take the trailer out about 10-15 times or 30-40 days a year - most of those spring/summer/fall trips.

My question is: will the F-150 be enough to pull this trailer, especially over the mountain passes (up to 5000 ft.) and into the hills and campgrounds?
    I realize the F-250 will probably be more than enough. If the F-250 is the way to go, which axle ratio is preferred for the V10 (again, this will be my primary vehicle)?
    BTW, I have opted to exclude the diesel due to cost and I feel it is a bit of an overkill for my purpose.

Thanks to all who respond.
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    I would go with the F250 SD V10 3.73. I have an F350 CC DRW V10 4.30 4X4 and the extra gearing is overkill even with the heavier truck. Towing 7000# I can start it in 2nd (auto trans) without really bogging, so the 3.73 should be just fine. I've got about 16000 miles on it so far (delivered in Sept.) with no real problems.

Solo I get ~10.2mpg city, ~11.8 hwy. With 7000# that dips to ~10.5 hwy. Folk with the 3.73:1 gears are reporting +2mpg, and the lighter F250 should do even better.
  • drumheaddrumhead Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 F-250 with 40K miles on it and am having a problem with "pinging" in the engine. I've got a 5.4L V-8. I've taken it in to the dealership and they cannot find anything wrong with it. They have re-programmed the PCM (computer) and nothing has changed. They could find no errors, and the "service engine" light has never come on. They have removed the "plug" to decrease the timing by two degrees, and this made no change either. They stated that they can start replacing parts until they find the problem, but I don't want to have a grand or more into it before they find a solution.

This problem is usually related to a timing problem. I've changed gasolines and have tried different octanes. Nothing seems to matter. I have run through a fuel system cleaner, as sometimes the carbon can cause pinging. Still no changes. I have talked to other dealerships, and they have no suggestions either. Has anyone else had this problem with a 5.4L V-8? If so, could you please let me know how you solved the problem.

Thanks.
  • cliffccliffc Member Posts: 9
    I have a 1997 F250LD that I will trading soon, how does the ride on the 1999's with air suspension compare with previous models? Also, is there anything that can be done to make it ride better (ie: less bouncy)?
  • tk2tk2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 f250ld short box supercab lariat 4x4, so far i like it very much. I haven't had any major problems except some of the stripes started to peel off shortly after I bought it. My gas mileage has ranged from 10 mpg to 18 mpg depending on my driving and towing habits. I think Ford has built a very good truck and I would recommend it to anyone in the market, looking to buy a new truck. I drove both the new chevy and the dodge before I bought my new Ford and I was not impressed.
  • cliffccliffc Member Posts: 9
    Did you get the air suspension? How does the ride compare with the 99 F150?
  • tk2tk2 Member Posts: 2
    I did not get the airbag suspension. Most of the time it rides pretty good but if you hit a big bump you are going to know about it. The f-150 does have a little better ride.
This discussion has been closed.