Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Splitfire plugs

stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
edited February 2014 in General
Any experience/oppinions out there about the usage
of splitfire plugs and wires. They also sell
platinum plugs now. My '97 Vortec 5.7L will reach
50K soon and I am looking to do a "tune up".

Comments

• kent123kent123 Member Posts: 61
    I tried some on my SeaDoo GTX (2 cycle 110HP) and didn't notice much difference in power or mileage.
    I've heard they're worth the extra$$ on a car or truck you plan to keep for awhile.
  • AKMarkusAKMarkus Member Posts: 21
    Having been an owner of a 5.8 liter powered F-150 4x4 (that tows like a demon) I can offer the following. Get the SplitFire sparkplugs and wire set, I've heard the controversy, but they helped get me another 1.5 mpg on the highway.
  • stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
    Thanks for the info I will do that next spring when I have @50K on the truck. I am also planning to put hard protectors on the plug wires for heat and stuff. I also tow in the summer time.

Currently I am in the mood to push the darn thing over a cliff, the oxigen sensors and the egr valve is failing and trying to have GM fix it under the emissions warranty.
  • richflynnrichflynn Member Posts: 147
    From what I know about ignition systems and spark plugs, I just can't see an advantage to the Split Fire plugs.

I'm sure that the claims we see on TV are true for that particular testimonial. What we don's see on TV is that it's an older vehicle that gets tuned up every 50,000 miles, needed or not. Maybe at the Split Fire tuneup, the carburator is adjusted too. So the claim of the large percentage in mileage increase is probably true, in that one particular case.

The advantage to a larger ground electrode is two fold. (The split sort of puts more metal closer to the center electrode.) First, more ground electrode material closer to the center electrode means that the plug will retain the correct gap for a longer firing time. (Less burn off and carbon build up.) The larger ground electrode over the center electrode means more surface area with the correct gap between electrodes.

In today's modern, high secondary voltage, ignition systems, I seriously doubt there is much of an advantage, especially on a well tuned vehicle. I personally do not think that the SF plugs justify the added expense.

Rich
    I just put 8 SF plugs into my 1977 Firebird and it made a BIG difference. The ignition is an HEI type from the factory.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Recently overheard at a health food store:

DS#1 Gee, I put new plugs in my vehicle and in a very uncontrolled experiment, and got better gas mileage.

DS#2 Were the plugs splitfire, or platinum, or snake oil brand?

DS#3 Dunno, but they sure are better 'cuz if i didn't say that I would look like a dumb##it.

LOOK around at racers and see if they run the snake oil stuff when not sponsored. Bet not too many of them run STP or DuraLUBE or Slick50 or Splitfire or Pet Rocks or....

Just Like that PT Barnum guy once said 'there's a sucker born every minute'.......
  • shopper53shopper53 Member Posts: 1
    You might check out the Rapid Fire from AC. They did a good job for me in a 5.7 L Chevy Blazer (93). They were less than the Split Fire in cost. Another option. I'm one who thinks that plugs that are from the factory tend to run better than an after marked brand.
  • arazaraz Member Posts: 27
    If you use the "twin core wire, and the "split electrode" plug, how does the poor confused electrons know which one to follow. Like if it goes down wirecore #1, are you guaranteed it'll get to electrode #1? If it goes to #2, will it misfire, or run the motor sdrawkcab??
    araza:
    I think you will also have to install a "spark trainer" so the spark will go to the correct electrode
    Hey, I'm selling spark trainers over the internet... For $50 plus handling, all you have to do is park your vehicle near your computer, download my special 'SuperDuperSparkTrainer' program, and I promise that your vehicle will run better. I even offer a money back guarantee. Of course, there is that non-refundable $20 handling fee....
    You know what the sad part is: somebody out there will believe you. You can also make money by retrofitting cars so they are Y2K compliant.
  • arazaraz Member Posts: 27
    I'll bet some are already working on a scam based on the Y2K deal, and unknowing car owners. Sad huh?? How about compliant anti-freeze?
  • maydaytoymaydaytoy Member Posts: 22
    The motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Daytona Beach Florida tested on a dynometer a motorcycle engine with stock NGK plugs and then under same conditions and parameters a set of Splitfire SPARKPLUGS.
    NO DIFFERENCE WAS NOTED. ITS ALL IN THE NUMBERS.
    EVERYTHING ELSE IS EMOTION.
  • RichRich Member Posts: 128
    Where do you put your money?

When we had points, condensers and rotors under the distributor cap the efficiency of the ignition system was about 90%. As spark plugs aged in the engine, the efficiency fell off towards 70%. Enter ordinary "Transistor Ignition". This raised the efficiency to 99% and kept the plugs operating at mid to high 90% efficiency.

Unfortunately people would still wait until performance was poor before tuning up. So the plugs would really go to do-do and again the engine was running at 70%.

Enter the feds and the EPA. We wound up with better electronic ignitions (40-60 KV), resistor and platinum plugs. The platinum allows the center electrode to be run at a hotter temperature to burn off deposits.

Today's engines with the 100K mile tune up specification are probably running even higher voltages on the secondary. Maybe even 100 KV. At those voltages, a nail in epoxy in the plug hole would work; for a while.

With all these advances in ignition systems, I seriously doubt that the split fire plug would be an advantage. But at 100K miles, spend the $80 for a set of split fire plugs, it's only about $30 more than platinum plugs. (Or .03 cents a mile.) After 100K miles and then new split fire plugs, I'm sure you'll notice an improvement.

Rich
    Rich - not sure what you were trying to say but.... I'd rather have a new set of OEM platinum plugs every 60,000 as compared to new 'snake oil splitfire' plugs every 100,000
  • 34363436 Member Posts: 25
    Markbuck,
    I agree 100%
    What about getting the GM rapidfire plugs as OEM replacement in my K1500?
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    what's rapidfire, never heard of those.
  • AirwolfAirwolf Member Posts: 142
    Speaking of Splitplugs, I just read in the latest 4wheel magazine that SplitFire is offering to settle a class action lawsuit for people who bought before 12/97 with or without a receipt. The case says that SplitFire doesn't have the information to back some of it's claims, so in the interest of the consumer, instead of fighting they will settle. just an FYI.

Ryan
    cdean:

What I heard is rapidfire is an AC plug that produces more (or mor often) sparks than standard AC plugs. I don't know if they are platinum or if you would have to make some ignition modifications. Need to call a dealer for more information.
  • jimbojerryjimbojerry Member Posts: 2
    OKAY GENTLEMAN AND LADIES. I AM A SERIOUS DRAG RACER. I RUN A 600 HORSEPOWER DRAGSTER. I KNOW MANY OTHER RACERS WHO WILL DO ANYTHING TO GET A COUPLE EXTRA HORSEPOWER OUT OF THEIR CAR.
    A SPARK PLUG IS JUST WHAT ITS NAME SAYS. IT LIGHTS THE FIRE. ONCE THE FIRE IS LIT ADDING MORE SPARKS OR A SEPARATED SPARK TO IT DOESN'T DO A THING.
    NO ONE IN THE DRAG RACING WORLD USES THEM AND CLAIMS HE GOT EXTRA HORSPOWER WITH IT. WE KNOW IT IS SIMPLY A GIMMICK. YES THEY LIGHT THE FIRE LIKE ANY OTHER PLUG, BUT A FRESH SET OF PLUGS IN THE CORRECT HEAT RANGE IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS. I'LL BET THOSE THAT CLAIM IT HELPED HAD LOUSY PLUGS OR PLUGS WITH THE WRONG HEAT RANGE.
    YOU GUYS AREN'T THAT DUMB TO BE LED DOWN THIS PATH.
  • davek3davek3 Member Posts: 31
    the electric charge from the distributor or from each coil in some new engines will follow the least path of resistance.. i don't care if it has a hundred electrodes its only gonna spark on one at a time. you woud have better results if you would "index" your oem plugs....
  • vmanvman Member Posts: 103
    Amen jimbojerry, How the hell can you expect to increase output (horsepower) without increasing input(fuel). Also, rapid fire? Aren't ignition system timed? How many nanoseconds difference is there between regular plugs and expensive ones?
  • RichRich Member Posts: 128
    In a 25 year old gasoline engine, the split fire plugs may make a difference after 10,000 miles. In today's modern engines with high energy ignition systems, I seriously anything could improve over the OEM plugs. All the technology improvements outside the cylinder have reduced the need for super efficient spark plugs.

Sorry, I just cant see the value of the investment in the more expensive split fire plugs.

Rich
This discussion has been closed.