Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Pilot Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    $239 for one light assembly seems really excessive.

This Honda place says the retail for the entire kit, which would be 2 fog lights, switches, relays, wiring harness and whatever else was necessary is $395. They normally sell the kit for $282 and they have it on sale right now for $197 and still making money. http://www.handa-accessories.com/pilext06.html

Point is, that even at full $395 retail for the Kit, one light assembly should be considerably less than half of that. Nice guys! I would have a sit down talk with the General manager and the service manager over that one.

The lights should hold up to small stones and such. But if it was launched from the tire(s) of a vehicle in front of you and you were going at highway speeds toward it.....!

Also it could have been something steel like a bolt or nut!

Kip
  • Options
    This is another place that sells Honda Parts. They do list a single assembly at $238.88 retail, but they sell it for $167.22 and still make money.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&cat- cgry1=Pilot&catcgry2=2007&catcgry3=5DR+EX+2WD&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=FOGLIGHT

Live and learn I recon!

Kip
  • Options
    our2007pilotour2007pilot Member Posts: 3
    Clicked on link and found exactly what you described. I was glad to find our dealer did not overcharge for fog light assembly. Agree with you that they made a very nice profit. Now know where to go for check on price.

If we ever had this happen again, I would be tempted to see if Hella or Piaa made a fog light that would fit in same space as factory unit.

Thank you for your time and the good info.

John
  • Options
    I wonder what their reaction would be if we took them a Genuine Honda part and wanted it installed.

Probably be best to "Set" the deal first.

Mr. Dealer, what is the labor charge for installing a fog light!

OK, that sounds fair.

I can get the part from another Honda dealer for this much, will you match the price?

They would probably refuse to match the price and tell us they only install parts they sell. :P

However, there are some good mechanics and body shops around that could do it. ;)

Kip
  • Options
    hoshos Member Posts: 31
    I have a 07 pilot EXL with 16K. A few weeks ago I started smelling fuel after idling a few minutes in the morning with the blower fan on, to warm up the car. Once I start driving the smell goes away, I suspect because there is air circulating in the cabin. However, once I stop with the engine idling, then the smell comes back. It has been to the dealership a couple of times but they tell me that they could not reproduce it. Even though I give them specific info on how to reproduce it I think they are not paying attention to it !!! Has anyone experienced the same small???? I would greatly appreciate any input ... :confuse:
  • Options
    I leave my Pilot fan on all the time with the "AC OFF". Driver window is always down a bit. Occationally when I crank the engine I will get an odor inside the car.

It smells somewhat like a cross between anti-freeze and exhaust fumes. Goes away in a few seconds. It is possible that there is a slight breeze blowing the rich "Start up" exhaust toward the front of the car (fuel smell) and the heater fresh air intake is picking it up and bringing it inside the car. This has been going on since the car was new in Febuary of 03.

Runs good and gets great mileage for a Pilot. Don't want them messing with it! :)

Kip
  • Options
    rowellaarowellaa Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering - have any of you experienced any problems with the oil life indicator on your Honda Pilots being "inaccurate?" I have a 2006 Honda Pilot, and it has less than 14000 miles on it. Just took it in for an inspection and an oil change and less than a week later, I noted that the oil life shows only 15%. A light also came on in the shape of a wrench and on the oil life indicator panel, the code A1 came up. I'm a bit concerned that something happened during the oil change - either they didn't complete it properly or something is loose? In any case, any advice welcome. Thanks!
  • Options
    mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Who ever did your oil change needs to reset the service indicator. If you did it at an independent place, you can search the edmunds forum to see how you can reset the service minder yourself. I did give the instructions in some thread, don't remember which one.
  • Options
    davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    Sounds like they just forgot to do a reset of your maintenance minder after performing the service. You could either bring it back to them or do it yourself by following the instructions in your owner's manual, whichever would be less of a hassle for you.
  • Options
    tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I've done it, it's easy, you do it while sitting in the drivers seat pushing the button on the dash. Just look it up in your owners manual.

tom
  • Options
    atrain1atrain1 Member Posts: 2
    Solution may be a simple one ... check the air recirculation button to make sure it is OFF. Fresh air gets rid of the fogging ... but takes longer to heat up ... so you can start with recirculated air but remember to switch to fresh air when it starts to fog up.
  • Options
    atrain1atrain1 Member Posts: 2
    2005 Honda Pilot EX-L ... an idiot light on my dashboard lit up while driving yesterday and read "Maintenance Required". It was at an odd mileage (45,872) so it doesn't appear to be a regular interval - plus I can't find any good answers in the Owner's Manual. What triggers this type of error message? I don't want to get it serviced if it's not necessary. I know how to turn it off (push trip reset and hold, turn ignition ON without starting) but want to see what turns it on.
  • Options
    I have found the opposite to be true in the winter or rainy, humid weather. .

Bringing humid air into the car and heating it up, doesn't work as well for me, as, Recirculating and getting rid of the moisture in the inside air. A very short time with the AC compressor on will get rid of the moisture. It will also help the engine to warm a little faster and cold/humid outside air doesn't have to be dealted with.

With that said, In the summer if the car windows allowed rain or humid night moisture inside and the day is dry and low humidity, bringing in fresh air works just fine.!

Kip
  • Options
    ayalakayayalakay Member Posts: 23
    Greetings all - just picked up my new '08 VP AWD on Wednesday - very similar to the '05 EX I had before, except the seat fabric isn't as fuzzy, there are no map lites on the grab bars in 2nd and 3rd rows, no power seat, manual climate control, and no security system (though still has remote entry). But it was out the door a better deal than the '05 and these things don't bother me enough to quibble.

However - please tell me if I am mistaken! The owner's manual says something to the effect that, A/C is ON and CANNOT be turned off when in the defrost, foot/defrost, foot and bi-level modes! ??? I found this was the case in the '05 when turning on the defroster, but the climate control would read a/c on and I could turn it off, and would hear the change in engine sound when the compressor would turn off. The VP's a/c control includes a toggle button with a light. I have been listening fervently to the engine and so far haven't heard a difference by pressing the button on/off. (It has been bitter cold here in northern NJ these past few days, so perhaps that's affecting the a/c and whether it actually turns on or not?)

SO my question is, does anyone know if this nonsense is true? If so, how can I get around it? It certainly would explain why reported mileage is a little low! Why on earth would I need the A/C running when I just want heat on my feet??! :confuse:

The youngster at the dealership who gave me the 'here's how to work your car' lesson didn't even know how to unlatch the seat belts in order to put the 3rd row seatbacks down... the salesman himself didn't realize that the VP came with tinted glass and a CD changer... so I am not confident I will get an accurate answer from the dealership.

Any comments, suggestions, advice?

Thanks.
    Karen
  • Options
    In days gone by, when the Defrost was called upon, the Compressor always came on.

I got around that by interrupting the wire going to the compressor with a toggle switch.

Kip
  • Options
    honhon Member Posts: 34
    Your A/C needs to run alot. It is not constantally on, only when you defrost because it needs to run in the winter also. When it runs it is lubricating its self. The seals are being oiled. If it didn't run the seals would dry up causing fluid leaks and then you get to repair or replace the compressor, expensive. It's not nonsense, it's done because most people don't cycle the A/C on and off in the winter.Besides, defrosting with the A/C works faster because the A/C dries the air and it does not effect your gas milage. If you disconnect it, you will more than likely cancell the warranty on your compressor.
  • Options
    afparamedafparamed Member Posts: 1
    I am currently having the same problem with my 2006 Pilot. I was given the run around for the last week because no one could figure out the problem. I am glad that I read your messages because I am going to bring this up with the dealership I am working with. Right now I am not very happy with what is going on. I am sure there are alot more Honda Pilots out there with the very same problem. Honda needs to be notified and something needs to be done!">
  • Options
    jjk20jjk20 Member Posts: 13
    I was so excited to pull out of the dealership with my new '08 Pilot VP 4WD, listening to XM. As I approached my neighborhood I turned the music off and everytime I slowed down or stopped completely I heard noises like liquid sloshing around. Could it be the fuel tank? rear window washer fluid?
    Anyone have any thoughts or solutions???
    Thk u!
  • Options
    boughtalemonboughtalemon Member Posts: 28
    I don't know what is wrong with the Pilots as far as noise goes. I bought a 2007 just over a year ago and a few days later it started making a very loud whistling sound. I took it back to the dealer where they changed the fuel pump. It was fine for a few days and then the noise started again. They tried to convince me that this is how Pilots are and there is nothing they could do. I insisted and said I was going to leave the car there till they fixed it. We had a big meeting with a Honda rep, the dealership manager, the service manager and eventually they agreed to find another Pilot on the lot that didn't make the noise and exchange fuel tanks. We tried three Pilots till we found a silent one. They changed the tank and I haven't had a problem since. I would have thought that the noise problems would be fixed for the 2008 Pilot, but obviously it's still there. Just tell the dealer you want it fixed, it is under warranty and you want a silent car. Good luck!
  • Options
    boughtalemon,
    thank you very much for responding and sharing. I am so stressed over this! so the solution was exchanging fuel tanks right? I would think they were all the same type of tank???
  • Options
    My bro-in-law has a 04 with the same problem. He got the run around as well until he was told that this was a known problem and it will be corrected in the future models. I have a 07 and have not experienced such problem. I heard that they were going to put barriers in the tank to stop the fuel from plashing around but it appears that they have not done anything. I believe that due to very good sales for the pilots the company decided to do the absolute minimum changes and milk the model as much as they can for sales before they do a redesign and fix problems. I too have been to the dealer with a a few oddities which they claim is how pilots are (as if they were dealing with a 12 year old)!!! My problem has been fuel consumption (14mpg mix hwy/city), occasional strong fuel smell and occasional burning rubber smell in the car.

Good luck..
  • Options
    hos,
    thanks for your post. I am going to pursue this week to get the fuel tank replaced, emphasizing that i want a tank with barriers/baffles to prevent the fuel from moving around.

car salesman quote of the day in response to my problem: "turn the radio on & I won't hear it!"
  • Options
    justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    When it runs it is lubricating its self. The seals are being oiled. If it didn't run the seals would dry up causing fluid leaks and then you get to repair or replace the compressor, expensive.

I have always wondered why I don't have to run my home air conditioner in the winter??? It doesn't leak if I don't use it??

Just wuuundering.

Joe
  • Options
    You are welcome! Yes, they are the same type of tank, but some are noisy and some aren't, it all depends on luck. If you get the noisy one, make a fuss till they replace it. I was very stressed too, especially since I am in real estate and I just couldn't drive clients in that noise.
  • Options
    I also get 14-15 mpg. Mine is a 4wheel drive, but still, it is way below what Honda says it should be. Very annoying considering cost of gas.
    Complained about this too, but was told that it depends on my driving and it would get better with time. It hasn't and I am very easy on the gas pedal. I read on this forum that some Pilot owners got 22-24 mpg. Hard to believe, the discrepancy is way too big. But, hey, I am luckier than you, I don't get the burning rubber smell.
  • Options
    gmoney2gmoney2 Member Posts: 31
    I have a 2003 Pilot, and bought it new. I can remember reading this board over 4 years ago when the 2003's (first year of the pilot) came out and people were complaining about the sloshing noise. You can do a search and can probably read 50 posts on the matter. I never really noticed it that much, until I read these posts and started paying attention. I guess mine does it a little bit, but it doesn't really bother me. From the sound of it, it's probably not as bad as yours. I know boughtalemon stated that he got them to replace the fuel tank, but I think he was very lucky (or did some sort of Jedi mind trick on them). I doubt that most dealers would do this. Like many others stated in their posts in the past, most dealers will probably just say that it's "normal", and tell you to there's nothing they can do.

Other than my transmission going out at 37k miles, I have been very happy with my Pilot. The early Pilots (and Odysses) had transmission problems, and I needed mine replaced at 37k miles (I couldn't believe it!). I've never taken it off road or towed anything. Even though it was out of warranty (only 1k miles over), Honda agreed to pay for it. Supposedly, they have fixed the problems with their trannys now. I do think it was a fluke, and still recommend the Pilot to friends. Just remember, you've bought a very nice car that has many outstanding features, and I'm sure it will give you many problem free years.
  • Options
    mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    gmoney2.

Many pre-2004 Honda/Acura models that shared the 5 speed auto had a problem with the tranny burning out. Honda has been good enought to bear the cost of replacement even if the car is out of warranty.
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I have an '04 MDX (Luxo Pilot), same sloshing sound. It's definitely the fuel tank. I think they used the same one in the MDX, Pilot and the Ody. It's a baffle issue. I've gotten used to it and don't hear it as much anymore because I've got the volume up! :P
  • Options
    roj1roj1 Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

I was set on getting a CRV or Rav4 when I read about large incentives being offered on the Pilot. I have a question about the Pilot's reliability. I read through a few of the posts on the Pilot. I did not see any significant problem like the rear differential problems on some CRVs. Am I missing something? How reliable is the Pilot? Are there know problems that are common on the Pilots?

Thank you for your help.

-Rob
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    I have an 06 V6 EXL and a friend of mine has had his 04 EXL for over 3 years. Overall a pleasant experience. Brake pads tend to wear off more than other cars in our opinion. The only problem he has had is his check engine light comes on and we have not figured out what that is about. Would I buy it again? Sure, I would.
  • Options
    Other than some recalls that were fixed while the dealer did routine Maintenance, I've only had 2 problems on my 03. Bought new in February of 03.

1. A groaning sound from the rear end on slow sharp turns. The dealer had not changed out the rear end dope (4wd) during the 15K service. New dope solved the problem. So that wasn't really a Pilot Problem. More human error of the dealer.

2. Skipping, missing and chattering, when the tranny tried to lock up the torque converter turned out to be a bad EGR valve. Didn't make sense to me, but the new EGR valve "Fixed" it. Seems Honda had gotten some bad ones from venders, but didn't know which vehicles they had been installed in. Problem didn't show up until pretty much after 20K or so and only on a very small % of vehicles. While it was a part that failed, it would be hard for me to find fault with Honda on this single incident.

Yep! Sometimes when I stop,there is some fuel slosh noise from the tank. On dirt road "Wash Boards", there are some vibrations. A little more road noise than I like, which could be helped by better tires. Tires are original as are the brakes.

About 90% of my driving is local 6 mile commute to work. Overall mileage is 18+/- mpg. Highway yields about the same at 80, around 23mpg at 70mph and 27mpg at 60 mph. More than pleased with that.

Keep in mind this one was the 1st year Pilot. The newer ones may have addressed some of my non issues. I would buy another one in a heartbeat, a New York minute, the Flick of a Bic! :) :shades:

I do have 1 real issue. Honda has not addressed. The Pilot is rated to tow 3500 # flat front trailer. Pilot does not offer a 7 pin electrical connection, in the rear, for towing a light weight 2000# camper or any trailer with electric brakes. Yet it is available for the Ridgeline. :confuse:

If I were in the market for a light duty pickup, I would buy a Ridgeline. Which is basically a Pilot with an open bed, a sub frame, a slightly less comfortable folding back seat and heavier duty cooling. Neighbors on both sides have Ridgelines, and my son recently traded his Mustang GT for one.

Of the 60+ vehicles I've owned in my life time, I have kept this Pilot longer, and have no desire to trade it for anything. For it's size, utility, performance, fuel mileage when driven conservatively, and comfort, it is a keeper. :)

Kip
  • Options
    I have a -7 pilot with 20K and I absolutely love this car. The biggest disappointment has been the gas consumption. If I drive very very carefully making sure I do not push over 2500RPM during a combination of city/freeway driving, I get 315 miles with a full gas tank (20 gallons). That is 15.75 miles per gallon which is horrible for a 6 cylinder car. I used to have a Buick Roadmaster with 8 cyl. 5.7 litter engine; a very heavy and strong car and I used to get a better MPG from it !!! If I had to do it over again, I would not consider the PILOT only because of the bad MPG.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. It sounds like the Pilot is a very reliable car. The MPG is lower than I hoped, but the Pilot has everything else I need in a SUV.

Thanks,
    -Rob
  • Options
    What kind of mileage did you hope for or expect?

Kip
  • Options
    Rob,

If the CRV and RAV4 fit your needs size-wise, I say go with one of those instead of the Pilot. The reason: MUCH better gas mileage (and also easier and more fun to drive).

But to answer your question, my 2007 Pilot has been 100% reliable, as have all the Hondas I have owned. I've had it for about 1.25 years and 16,000 miles. Haven't had to do anything but routine maintenance. I've never been back to the dealer for anything.

David
  • Options
    franellafranella Member Posts: 20
    I have an '06 Pilot EX-L with Nav. I'll tell you what I don't like, but I'm quite happy with it for comfort and safety and quality. I hate the tires that came on it - they do not grip the road if there is ANY moisture on it at all - there have been many suggested replacements on this board. If you live in a hilly area, you might consider making them change the tires before accepting the vehicle - if they are still using the same ones. The back hatch door is heavy and has no automatic opener or closer. That's OK - I need the exercise. The Nav. cannot be updated, as far as I know. There's the sloshing noise - which is also documented on this board. That's it for what I don't like - not bad! The 3rd row of seats is easy to put up and down, and it seats 8 people or tons of boxes. Buy the all weather mats right away and save your carpet. I got the cargo liner also - it keeps things from shifting toward the back hatch. It's a wonderful vehicle for any amount of money. Good luck!
  • Options
    Hi Kip,

I was hoping that it was a little higher than the EPA estimate. I want a Pilot-size SUV so that I can comfortably fit in the SUV, but I may have to be practical a get an CRV because of MPG. I am a recent college graduate so I need to minimize expenses for awhile. It is very tempting, however, to still get a Pilot based on the low prices and great reviews.

-Rob
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, David. I may end up the CRV because of MPG.

-Rob
  • Options
    Hi franella,

Thanks for the feedback. With all of these glowing reviews, I will keep considering the Pilot despite the MPG difference with the CRV.

-Rob
  • Options
    roj1,

Pilots are very capable of exceeding the EPA ratings. Spend some time on the "Pilot Real world MPG", and read for yourself. .

MPG depends an awfully lot on the driver, driving conditions, and the terrain.

A driver with a light foot will always get better mileage than a heavy footed one.
    Serious traffic, like 20 minutes to go a couple of miles, will kill mileage.
    So will lots of steep hills.

I agree with David. A CR-V or Rav4 is an excellent choice. Under "Similar" condition, either of those ( 4 cylinders ) will deliver better economy than a Pilot.

For local driving, I much prefer to take my wifes 03 CR-V. It is probably (feels) quicker 0-40mph, much more "Zippy". Turns sharper, more agile, and easier to park. MORE FUN! Even with my wife driving the CR-V, it gets 2-4 MPG better than I can get with the Pilot. With my driving of the 2, there is more like 3-6 MPG better with the CR-V than the Pilot. This is simply due to different driving styles.

Even if the mileage was identical, I would prefer driving the CR-V locally.

On the road, which is about 5%-10% for us, the Pilot is more comfy, quieter, and has more power available for passing and such. However, the 07 and 08 CR-Vs perform better than our 03 due to the 5 speed auto tranny vs our 4 speed. They are much quieter inside at road speeds, and will deliver better mileage than ours.

We do tow a boat or a utility trailer occasionally. If it was not for that, I would trade the Pilot for a "New" CR-V. Just for the "Fun to Drive" factor.

Kip
  • Options
    Rob,

The CRV is surprisingly spacious on the inside for what appears on the outside to be a small SUV. Enough room for 5 passengers + a fair amount of cargo. I used to have one. I highly recommend it. As for the Pilot, unless you absolutely need the larger size, in my view the upsizing is not worth the extra costs (not only at time of purchase or lease, but also at the gas pump).

David
  • Options
    What make are the tires on the current Pilot? I've had 2 sets of Michelin Cross Terrains on my '04 MDX and they are whisper quiet.
  • Options
    Hi David and Kip,

I think I will resist the temptation with the low prices of the Pilot and stick to a CRV, or maybe a Rav4. All of our driving will be in city with traffic and with a lot of hills once we move back to Seattle. We don't really need a larger SUV and never tow anything. So there really is no need for us to get a Pilot.

Thanks again for your feedback. This is my first new car purchase in a long time so I wanted to make sure I made a thoughtful selection. Your and other posters' feedback has been very helpful.

-Rob
  • Options
    I am going to disagree with Kip as far as mpg goes. I am a light-foote driver, the, the conditions I drive in are generally very good (no snow, ice or extreme cold, maybe a little hot sometimes) and no steep hills either. In spite of all that my 2007 Pilot's mpg is horrible 14 maybe 15 mpg (city/highway) There was another member here who got about the same on his Pilot, there were others, however, who, hard to believe, got 22, even 24. I would call my Pilot a gas guzzler.
  • Options
    joeyjoejoejoeyjoejoe Member Posts: 68
    Hey guys, I live in Iowa and was wondering if anyone has ever thought about rust proofing their Pilot? A friend of mine got this service done on his Ford 500. Seems like a waste of money to me. Just wondering if anyone thinks its legit. I know Honda doesn't have the best track record with rusty body panels. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    >"I am going to disagree with Kip as far as mpg goes....I would call my Pilot a gas guzzler. "

What part are you disagreeing with? I agree with you concerning "YOUR" Pilot operating in YOUR conditions. Maybe you need to visit a mechanic.

>" There was another member here who got about the same on his Pilot, there were others, however, who, hard to believe, got 22, even 24."

There are members that get better than 24 on the road. There are many that have reported 18+ for their overall City/highway averages. Read up on it. ;)

Kip
  • Options
    I don't know, does anyone have any issues with a rusty Pilot? My '04 MDX doesn't have a spot on it. I did not get the rust proofing that the "sales manager" suggested when I bought it and now it has seen its fifth salty winter. BTW, he is not allowed to get near me when I am at the dealership. ;)
  • Options
    Have been hearing a strange noise in the engine in area where the drive belt and pullies are. Mechanic thought it was the pulley belt so he put a new one on. Noise is still there. I thought it was in the tensioner pulley or water pump. Now at this point the dealer called Honda Enginneer, because they can't find the source of the noise. The Engineer said take the motor apart to find out what is going on. Has anyone been through this?
  • Options
    What type of noise is it?

Hopefully the noise is coming from one of the external parts, such as the water pump, alternator, etc..

From day 1, Our CR-V had a squeak that lasted about 10 seconds when starting up from sitting over night. At a little over 30K the AC compressor self destructed. Haven't noticed the noise since it was replaced.

Kip
  • Options
    It's a knocking noise. The Honda Engineer thinks it is inside the engine. The mechanics say it's in the area of the harmonic balancer. They are not sure where it is. It is not steady, it comes and goes. I've taken it in before for this noise and they could not hear it. Now it's getting louder and my milage is about 32,000 miles. Getting near the end of warranty. I think they are thinking that the timing belt is moving side ways and hitting something. They are talking about putting in shims. The fix seems strange to me, sorta a bandage fix.Those timing belts are not supposed to move like that.If it moves, it's bad and shims may not work.