Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    wyyangwyyang Member Posts: 29
    Hi,

We have just signed the papers for an 08 Pilot AWD EXL. The car is still at the dealership since it's right off the truck and it has not passed inspection yet. I am wondering if it's worthwhile to get a backup radar? The dealer quoted about $850 including parts and labor. Any comments?

Thanks,
  • Options
    jaredypjaredyp Member Posts: 1
    Hi Satish,
    Would you have an itemized breakdown of your OTD price?

Thanks!
  • Options
    honda_hunterhonda_hunter Member Posts: 1
    Which dealership in Houston is offering the Pilot EX-L w/Nav at $27,500?
  • Options
    grupo999grupo999 Member Posts: 4
    FYI: Interesting ad in today's newspaper: One dealer (Brilliance Honda) mentions they have 110 Pilots in Stock.
  • Options
    yen_sawyen_saw Member Posts: 7
    Honda cars at Katy, they are new (open last Christmas) and desperate for customers so you could really bargain for the price. I also opted for $299 life oil change. If you really considered it please let me know they offer $300 for referal too :)
  • Options
    newpilotdrivernewpilotdriver Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday we purchased 2008 pilot AWT 30217 OTD from pauly honda in libertyville,IL. We live in cook county but the dealer is in lake county. They charged 6.5 % taxes for illinois and said we will get a bill from cook county for cook county tax with in couple of months and they calculated that would be around $ 215.
    Is it a common practice that all the dealers do.
  • Options
    andypaiandypai Member Posts: 8
    Just bought a EX 2WD at $23638, the invoice with destination is $27574, so mine is about $3891 below invoice. With 6.25% sale tax, OTD price is $25395.

Thanks to all the posts here, really got many usful info.
  • Options
    mike274mike274 Member Posts: 35
    Hello. Thanks for all the feedback. Does anyone know of a dealer to go to find a good price on a Pilot in the Long Island area and what prices they have been receiving for the EX or EX-L. Thanks,
  • Options
    mythinwalletmythinwallet Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an EX 4WD Nimbus Gray. The selling price is 24,6xx.xx (without destination and TTL). I have a Trade-in they would take for 2,200 (Online Appraiser is around 2,700). Total OTD price including Trade-In is 25,000. They also throw in a 7-year free oil change (for all new car buyers).

Is this a good deal or no-good? I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that I may still have 1k to negotiate the OTD price? I guess I'm still confused about how 3.5k incentive works. Should it be: 28,200 (invoice) - 3500 = 24,700 (including fees and destination)?? If so, then I have some work to do...

I'm planning to buy tomorrow...

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    Foe another $2k you could have a nice Navi, including the rearview camera. backup radars are nice but I personally would rather have the camera or both. Aftermarket backup sensors should not cost you half what you have been quoted, specially that I don't recall Honda offering a Honda brand backup sensors.
  • Options
    Just drove home a white Pilot AWD EXL. OTD $29195.01. I did not buy the Navi. I have 2 garmins that I absolutely love. I figured that the Pilot is actually about an inch shorter than my accord, I might not need the back up camera. If I do need one, I will probably get an aftermarket one, together with a new car DVD/stereo system. I don't like the factory 6CD that does not read MP3 or WMA CDs.

Car: $28650
    TTL (7% tax): $2067.5
    dealer service plan (10 free oil change, 4 free tire rotation, 4 free state inspection): $277.51
  • Options
    Typo for car price.
    negociated price:
    car: 26850
    tax:1879.5
    tag+license: 188
    dealer service plan: 277.51
    total: 29195.01

I can not figure out what the tag+license shall be. Different dealer quoted me differently. But they are within $50 difference so I did not bother.

I am not sure if I told them I don't care about the dealer service plan, they would throw it in anyway. They first quoted me 493+tax for it, I declined and they dropped $250 with a 'coupon'. I figured it is worth the price, especially I could use it on my other honda, so I don't have to wait 4 years to use it up.
  • Options
    centennialcocentennialco Member Posts: 4
    I've been looking for a 2008 Pilot EX AWD, with no options and no accessories.

I've talked to 4 dealers and 1 broker in the Denver metro area. The best I've gotten is 27,080 + TTL. I've seen lower prices posted here, but not in my area.

It seems high to me, with the incentives Honda is offering right now. Am I wrong.
  • Options
    jd77jd77 Member Posts: 4
    My Wife and I purchased our Pilot from Brilliance Honda at the beginning of the month. We paid $28.6k (plus tax) for an EX-L Navi, they gave us a great deal on our trade and were a breeze to deal with.

I would definitely recommend them to everyone in Chicagoland!
  • Options
    cherringcherring Member Posts: 3
    I have been a lurker on this boradr for months and found so many great tips that helped me to have the upper hand and make a great purchase, so thank you! I thought it only fair to share my deal-

Just drove home in a 2008 AWD EX-L w/o any options and love it already!!

Purchased @ Ourisman Honda in Laurel-
    Purchase Price $28,747.14
    Processing Fee $99
    Sales Tax $1730.77
    Total OTD Price $30,576.91

We got 1.9% financing for 36 months so even though I know I could have wheeled and dealed over a few hundred in the sale price this special financing really sealed the deal. They were offering financing specials from .9%- 4.9% depending on credit and loan term.

The truck price also included wheel locks, mud guards and door and tire seals.

We opted out of any extended warranties. We have owned a total of 4 Acuras & Hondas and never used or needed any major service work so didnt think it was nessecary!!

Very happy with our new car. Please let me know if you have any questions & thank you again!!! :)
  • Options
    hondapilot08hondapilot08 Member Posts: 14
    That sounds like the price for EX-L with Navigation. Did you get the one with Navi for $28,747.14?
  • Options
    pilot15pilot15 Member Posts: 3
    We just bought a 2008 Pilot EX-L with Navi yesterday. We checked it all over at the dealership and it looked great. Drove it home. Later that night went out to the garage to get something out of it, and saw a pretty significant scratch on the windshield. The dealer was already closed. I left a voicemail for my sales guy. I'm scheduled to take it in on Tuesday for them to put on some of the accessories I purchased.

What is the best way to handle this? I'm sure they might offer to buff the scratch out, but I'm afraid that will leave a hazy look to the window. Do they have to replace it??
  • Options
    hfzeushfzeus Member Posts: 39
    A similar thing happened to a friend who bought an Accord. His dealership gave him a hard time and offered him $200. He declined and filed a claim at small claims court. The dealership jokers never showed and he was awarded far more than his cost to repair his car.
  • Options
    No, that was w/o navigation. Prices in Baltimore are far higher than people are getting on these boards, we did major research for months and couldnt get anywhere near what other people in other states were getting. Still think that we got a fairly good deal!
  • Options
    pilot15pilot15 Member Posts: 3
    Was that damage on his windshield or just somewhere on the car?
  • Options
    cjkbme2wcjkbme2w Member Posts: 82
    We are looking at a VP package with 4WD. We don't need anything fancy so opted for the VP over the EX or SE. They seem to be tough to
    come buy, but one dealer in Bel Air, MD has the color I want and gave me
    a quote of

$23,860.87.
    2.9% for 5 years
    Includes destination. Taxes are $0 in DE. So, this doesn't
    include doc, registration or title.

Invoice = $26,895 - $3,500 factory incentive, so $23,395 should be their cost after
    making 3% holdback. So, their price is $465 over this.

Is this a good deal!
  • Options
    Upon further probing, the dealer's price did not include destination,
    so the total is now $24,495.87

I was also wrong about the incentive, which is $2,500 for the VP. So, the dealer cost with holdback is $24,395, so they appear to be charging $100 over cost?

Is this a good deal, or should I opt for an EX, which has a $3,500 incentive?
  • Options
    Given the fact the Pilot sales daily selling rate dropped 23.6% in 03/08 (10168 total sold) comparing to 03/07 (14339 total sold), you could probably see better incentives coming in April. At least I will expect the $3500 rebate to be back to the VP.
  • Options
    So, if I can get the Pilot for the Invoice minus the incentive ($3,500 in the case of EX), is this about as good a deal as I can get. This same dealer is offering the EX-4WD with destination for $25,438.68, which is $100 over this number.
  • Options
    It might really depend on your location. I don't know your situation. I can only speak for my own experience. I started looking in Feb. I asked around and most of my local dealers were giving me $100 over invoice minus incentive. There was 2.9% APR financing at the time. One dealer (South Hills Honda) tricked me with a low price that he did not honor. It was the last day that 2.9% APR was offered. The 2nd best price was $67 below invoice minus incentive. I missed the 2.9% APR and decided to wait. The Pilot Feb sales number was very good (probably because they did not offer the $3500 incentive this early last year). In early March almost all dealers became firm on their price, and a few even increased their quote. There are lots of snow in winter in my area and I can see lots of Pilots on the street. I thought that's probably the best I could do.

Until last week I received ads in the mail from one of the dealer, that promised "$500 below your best offer". I ended up buying the Pilot from this dealer for $567 under invoice minus incentive. And that's before the poor March sales result was out.

BTW, I don't see any benefit of EX comparing to VP. I have to go with EX-L because I need leather (have a new born). Otherwise, I will wait until VP has the same incentive with other trims and by VP.
  • Options
    mike274mike274 Member Posts: 35
    Hello everyone. Thanks for all the great input. Does anyone know prices for the
    Pilot EX-L that you are seeing in the Long Island/NY area. Thank you.
  • Options
    djangodjango Member Posts: 13
    I bought a EX_L 4wd recently where I paid 26640 which is 4227 below invoice. See the posts for March 22 & you will find a couple of others who have got prices similar to this. I would atleast try for USD 4000 below invoice. Remember that Honda is introducing new version of pilot in July so dealers will try to get rid of inventory. Bargain hard . Good luck
  • Options
    m5yatesm5yates Member Posts: 33
    I just got this emailed to me from my dealer.
    Just what I want to see 4 weeks after I bought my Pilot :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2008 Odysseys and Pilots 0.9% APR
    Up to 36 months thru AHFC wac
    Expires: 4/30/2008
  • Options
    I actually have a 6 month old, so should I opt for the EX-L, because the leather is
    easier to clean up spills. Should I really pay $2000 more just for the leather. Couldn't I instead just have a seat cover for the car seat? Please give me your thoughts on this.
  • Options
    I suppose car seat covers will work. Then you might be able to save more money by going to the VP. EX-L adds leather and moon roof over the EX, which I think is worth $2000. Comparing to VP, EX adds garage door remote, fog light, power seat and a few other things, which I don't think worth the price difference...

I might regret it for not getting the navi with backup camera. It's a $2000 option only available on EX-L. People at hondapilot.org talked about installing backup sensors themselves. Seems quite complicated. They need to take off the rear bumper and panel. There is a Mom who got her backup sensor AFTER hitting her son backing up from the garage. Luckily, the boy was not seriously injured.
  • Options
    BTW, pilots come with a sub woofer. I wanted to replace the factory stereo (6 CD changer, radio, XM), until I learned that I will not be able to power the sub woofer without installing a separate amp. And I may or may not be able to use the steering wheel remote.
  • Options
    manypilotsmanypilots Member Posts: 25
    I have been told by a couple of dealers in MD that the new PIlots will become available in May, does anyone know if that is an accurate time frame? Why I'm interested is when the inventory of available '08s will start to diminish. Two dealers told me thay will not be getting any more in, is that a good indicator?
    I have been quoted an OTD (w/ MD tax, title, license and destination) price of $30,700 for an '08 EX-L Nav, does that seem like a good price?
  • Options
    Great. Just another thing to worry about. I got this response from Scott Honda in PA when I asked if he could match another dealer's offer. I have offered $25.568.58 (including destination and doc fees) for the EX-4WD

Craig,
    Every once in a while I get a customer who is driven to identify every dollar (which you can only do when buying a car as, clearly, if you were buying a TV you wouldn't be able to), and so I have turned this over to my manager to see if he is willing to make a decision that is contrary to the generally accepted business model of making profit, and lose money on a unit. He gets in a 1 today. You should have an answer on the EX sometime today.

I assume I shouldn't dealer with this dealer?
  • Options
    The 2009 Pilots will be coming on the lot in mid May, as I have been told by 3 dealers now. I might wait until then to see what the discounts will be. There are several dealers I have talked with that each have about 50 Pilots on their lots. They are not selling them, so when the 2009s come on the lot, they have to discount more.
  • Options
    carabelcarabel Member Posts: 43
    I have a Pilot VP now to replace the Sienna. I had the Sienna through 2 new borns on cloth upholstery. I don't like leather because it's too hot in the heat or too cold in the cold. Besides leather seats do not protect the car mats/floors which are made of synthetic fiber stuff. Car seat covers are more than efficient - you can remove and wash them. And yes, I did not train my toddlers to have drinks in the car, other than water. Once in a blue moon but almost always not. Babies with bottles won't really spill much of anything.
  • Options
    tap5tap5 Member Posts: 1
    I almost bought from Brilliance, and I agree, they were a breeze to deal with. The problem was that they did not have our first or second color choice (black; nimbus gray). I ended up at Schaumburg Honda. With a couple of phone calls, they ended up with the same deal as Brilliance did out of the gate on a 2008 EX-L Pilot 4WD ($26,617 with destination, mudguards, and wheel locks). Brilliance did call back and agree to give me an additional $400 on my trade if I took the Silver one, but we wanted the nimbus gray. So if you want a silver one and are in the Chicagoland area, Brilliance may be your place.

Someone else recently posted on waiting to the 2009's are out, but based upon my experience and talking with a different dealer hooked up with Costco's buying program, dealers are starting to run out of certain colors. Brilliance for example had indicated they are only getting in 4 more 2008.

On the 2009 front, Brilliance noted they already have a test drive event set up for May 15.
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    You inspected the Pilot before you picked it up, if you didn't see it then it was either not there or you missed it. Pretty much in either case it is on you and maybe your insurance to fix it. You can ask the dealer about it and see what they say, but do not be shocked if they don't offer you any help. You have to check it out with the proverbial "fine tooth comb" before you accept the vehicle, otherwise in most cases it is just too bad for you. If you did check it thoroughly and now there is a problem, then it must have happened on your way home.

Dennis
  • Options
    That sounds like their canned answer to someone who wants a really low price. If they agree to your deal and they don't try to add anything onto it, then no problem with taking it. If not, why not just go with the dealer you are trying to get them to match?

Dennis
  • Options
    04/01/2008 - TORRANCE, Calif. - American Honda Motor Co., Inc., posted a March 2008 sales result of 138,734 Honda and Acura vehicles, an increase of 4.2 percent based on the daily selling rate,* the company announced today. March 2007 sales results included two additional selling days and totaled 143,392.
    Led by strong sales of the Accord, Civic and Fit, American Honda total car sales posted record monthly results of 83,214, an increase of 11.1 percent. Year-to-date, American Honda total vehicle sales reached 352,642, an increase of 0.9 percent.
    "The Honda product portfolio is adapting well to the current direction of the marketplace," said Dick Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda. "People are clearly being more strategic with their money as parts of the economy seek balance and other parts adjust to record-high gasoline prices."
    The Honda Division posted March sales of 125,446 cars and light-trucks, an increase of 6.9 percent compared to year-ago results. Fit, up 73.8 percent to 6,835, eclipsed the previous all-time record of 6,450 set in August 2007. Civic, up 18.6 percent to 32,740, set a new March record, surpassing the previous mark of 30,037 set in 2000. Civic Hybrid sales leaped 44.3 percent to 3,769 to a new March record, beating the previous March record of 2,896 in 2005. Additional highlights include the Accord, up 6.8 percent to 36,214; the CR-V, up 3.9 percent to 18,974; and the Odyssey, up 3.4 percent to 13,261. Year-to-date, the Honda Division is up 2.8 percent to 315,102.
    The Acura Division posted total vehicle sales of 13,288, down 15.8 percent. The MDX luxury SUV was Acura's best-selling model, with March sales of 4,434. Year-to-date, Acura Division total vehicle sales reached 37,540.
    *The daily selling rate is calculated with 26 selling days for March 2008, versus 28 for March 2007. The year-to-date selling rate is calculated with 76 days through March 2008, versus 77 for 2007. All percentages contained in this press release represent the daily selling rate

• Options
    kcdl1kcdl1 Member Posts: 3
    I was just offer OTD for this 2008 VP Pilot AWD for $26,300.00 total. Is this a good deal in Minnesota?
  • Options
    Dennis:

This is from the original dealer I like when I asked about the rebate and financing
    combinations:

1) You can have $2,500 finance cash and 2.9% financing only on EX and SE
    models.
    2) You also can have $3,500 dealer cash with no special financing on EX and
    SE models.
    3) You can have $2,500 finance cash and 2.9% financing on the VP model.
    4) You also can have $2,500 dealer cash with no special financing on the VP
    model.

Note: Dealer cash is applied in financed or cash purchase. Finance cash is only applied in finance purchase.

Please translate this for me. What is dealer cash vs. finance cash? Why would someone do # 4 over # 3 (if they wanted the VP)?

Thanks,
    Craig
  • Options
    He acted like you made up that other dealer's quote and was doing you a favor bringing this unreasonable/laughable offer to the important/busy manager to consider. I don't like it, but if I were you, I will still collect his quote and use it against other dealers. Business is business.

BTW, may I ask you what make you like the EX better than the VP besides the $3500 vs $2500 incentive difference?

BTW #2, it seems Honda is offering 0.9% APR on pilots now.
  • Options
    008 Pilot Special AHFC A.P.R. Financing
    0.9% APR for 24-36 months or 2.9% APR for 37-60 months
    For well-qualified buyers.
    [Show Details] Show Details
    Get a CertificateRequest a Quote
    Special AHFC A.P.R. financing available on all new 2008 Pilot models. 0.9% APR financing for 24-36 months or 2.9% APR financing for 37-60 months available to customers who qualify for the AHFC Super Preferred credit tier. Example for 2008 Pilot: 0.9% for 36 months financing at $28.16 a month for every $1,000.00 financed. Dealers set actual vehicle sales prices. See participating dealers for details. For well qualified buyers. Not all buyers may qualify. Higher rates apply for buyers with lower credit ratings.

Offer valid for 3/29/2008 through 6/2/2008, on new and unregistered 2008 Pilot Models and only on approved credit by Honda Financial Services through participating dealers. Honda Financial Services' standard credit criteria apply. Example for 2008 Pilot: 0.9% for 36 months financing at $28.16 a month for every $1,000.00 financed. See dealer for details. Dealers set actual prices. Limited time only.
  • Options
    I will get something like this for the floor.

• Options
    I think in this case, finance cash = dealer cash = dealer incentive = marketing support.

Did you get this quote 3-5 days ago? It might be when there are no special financing by Honda, and the dealer tries to set something up themselves. They probably figured they can arrange 2.9% financing for $1000 upfront.

No matter how, ask them again. Now there are new low APR directly from Honda.
  • Options
    I can verify that this financing & rebate deal is true, we just bought our pilot this past weekend (see my earlier post on the price breakdown) and because we took the 1.9% financing for 36 months we only got a $2500 rebate vs a $3500 rebate.
  • Options
    This is similar to the cheap lease VS purchase dealer money. Say the dealer gets $2,500 in dealer cash for each SOLD Pilot, but where you live they offer a cheap lease rate (say 1% or less). If the dealer lets you lease at this rate then they do not get the full $2,500. They may get less (say $1,000 or $1,500) or they may get nothing.

The same could be true for the cheap financing. If the dealer lets you finance at 0.9% or 2.9% then Honda may cut their dealer incentive from $2,500 or $3,500 to something less - maybe even to $0. This has been the case in the past. The note on the Edmunds incentives page for the deal cash says:

Dealer Cash cannot be combined with select special AHFC lease/purchase plan

So the odds are that you can't get the full dealer money AND the cheap financing on the same deal.

Recently when they had REGIONAL discounted financing you COULD get both, but that is not normally the case.

If the dealer will sell you the car for a cheap price w/o the cheap money (invoice less known incentive or below) then they are being straight with you on price. If they tell you that you can't have that low price AND the cheap money, I would say they are being straight with you as well - but check a couple of others dealers to be sure.

Dennis
  • Options
    Always remember when being offered a cheaper price OR cheap financing to run the numbers both ways for yourself to see which is cheaper. Check with your bank, credit union, or someplace online like CapitalOne for their best new car rate. Run the numbers with that rate and the additional discount off the vehicle, then run the numbers with the cheap rate but having to pay more. Take whichever nets you the best deal. Normally it is to take the cash (cheaper price) and NOT take the promo rate - but you always have to compare to be sure.

In this case, CapitalOne is offering 5.29% for 60 months so $30k works out to $570.03 per month. If you borrowed $31k (assuming $1k more for taking the cheap money) the payment drops to $555.65. Since you would have to pay tax on the $1k extra the actual payment amounts will be closer together, but you get the idea.

Dennis
  • Options
    tudiutudiu Member Posts: 27
    this is what i got for my new Pilot _exl 2008. $99 for front& passenger row only plus shipping. and I love it. fit well.
  • Options
    tudiutudiu Member Posts: 27
    Hi Kcdl1
    What is your sale tax? the Pilot_VP before tax + fees should not be more than $24k. If you can get $23500 to $23700 (including destination) is a good deal before tax+fees. I got 2 -08 Pilots EXL AWD. one for me and one for my sister( late Feb/08). Mine was higher $27795 (including destination) +tax & fees...... On my sister's Pilot, I was able to get the dealer drop $295 more, so my sister's Pilot EXL AWD only $27500. plus tax and fees.