Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    carabelcarabel Member Posts: 43
    Nice Cadillac ! If you want to own the Pilot for a while, good investment to do these things. I lease for wanting to change to a different car every 3 years. And I keep my cars fairly clean most days. And yes, no snow where I live.
  • Options
    mkhojamkhoja Member Posts: 4
    I have been following this forum for sometime now. Don't see enough posts on Pilot EXL 2WD. I have just got a quot from a Houston Honda dealer as follows:
    08 Honda Pilot EXL 2WD
    Selling price $25747.00
    Sales Tax 1609.19
    Title, Lic, VIT & Doc Fee 246.98
    Drive out Total $27603.17

Should I go for it or I still have some room for negotiation.
  • Options
    og4lifeog4life Member Posts: 25
    Your quote of $25,994 (before tax) is almost exactly what I paid about a month ago in Memphis, TN. The bottom line is it is a good price (over $3,600 under invoice). Is there any room for negotiation? Maybe a little. Only one way to find out. I might could have got a couple hunred lower but the dealership was the only one in my area that could offer 2.9% for 60 months, and the special financing was only going on for a short period. So once they matched other price offers, I went with them.

PS. What is the tax rate in TX? Your taxes are about $300 more than mine (5%).
  • Options
    Tax rate in TX is 6.25%.
    so you got 2.9% for 60 months on top of all the incentives. I was under the impression that if I opt for $3500 under invoice price I will not be eligible for lower finance rate..........
  • Options
    og4lifeog4life Member Posts: 25
    I'm not sure what the latest deals are but recent posts confirms what you are saying about not being able to combine special financing with $3500. I bought my Pilot on February 21st and Honda was running a regional financing special in addition to the incentives. Another change is they dropped the incentive from $3,500 to $2,500 on the VP since then.
  • Options
    pwein1pwein1 Member Posts: 21
    Wow, it looks like you are $3800 under invoice. What dealer in Houston is making this offer?
  • Options
    John Eagle Honda....in Houston
  • Options
    mike274mike274 Member Posts: 35
    Hello. Looking to buy a Pilot in the New York/Queens/Long Island Area. Anyone know a dealer to go to and what prices they have been seeing. Thanks
  • Options
    jurdocjurdoc Member Posts: 1
    Picking up a 2008 Pilot EX-L with NAV, 4WD here in Michigan for $29,030, with 3.9% over 60 months. Tried to get them to go a little lower on price or interest rate but hit a brick wall. Happy with the deal I got though.
  • Options
    tudiutudiu Member Posts: 27
    HI Jurdoc
    I think you got a good deal. Was that 29030 OTD deal? or before tax& fees?
  • Options
    steve_njsteve_nj Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking about running boards for my new Pilot where should I go?
    Back to the dealer? Or a local truck/suv shop?

On the Honda site both styles are listed for over $500....
  • Options
    fiufiu Member Posts: 25
    :blush: :P ;):) :shades:

Washington is likely the most expensive state to get a new car, most of dealers here won't quote through phone or email, so Donkey's method doesn't work so well at Seattle, I spent a lot of time to do my homework, and talked/emailed a few dealers around, most of dealer won't let you touch holdback at all and just let you walk away. But finally we got our car in the right color we want at closest dealership, we choosed VP 4WD instead of EXL 4WD to save $4000.

Dealer just showed me the printout of incentive this month, confirmed what others saw:

VP: $2500 PLUS 0.9% 36month (or 2.9% 60months)
    EXL, EX, SE: $3500 OR $2500 plus 0.9% 36month (or 2.9% 60months)
    The APR expires on June 2nd.

So actually, if you choose financing, all models got the same incentive cash back

The break down is:
    Base: $24100
    Title: $192.60
    Tax: $2241.30
    Doc Fee: $50

OTD: $26583.90.
    I got 0.9% 36months financing. Dealer also throwed in door edge, wheel lip mold, wheel locks etc.

I only got around $295 into dealer's holdback and known people here can get some amazing deals easily on east coast, but it's not the case at Seattle.

I am so happy since we got a nice safe car at a fair and affordable price for us. I would thanks people here posting the helpful information, and wish everyone can get a nice deal on their car too.

If you want the dealer information, you can just PM me.
  • Options
    carslycarsly Member Posts: 32
    Steve,

Thanks for sharing. Do you have a breakdown of the price? Car, doc / prep fees, tax, etc? I am looking for something similar in the NY/NJ area so this would be very helpful.

--Carsly
  • Options
    Hillside Honda and Paragon are your two best bets. Paragon does more volume but Hillside was a better sales rep experience for me. I have yet to purchase but am still looking for a Pilot in the NY/NJ area so both are still on my list. Open Road Honda in NJ is another option, I have not been there but they have an automated quote tool on their website which is helpful (quotes EXCLUDE destination so they look cheaper, but aren't).
  • Options
    mike274mike274 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the info. Do you know of any prices that you have been getting?
  • Options
    trish16trish16 Member Posts: 2
    My family have 2 Pilot and I installed running boards from a local truck/suv shop and the quality is a lot better than what's avail. at the dealer. It also depend on what you pick at the shop. The price was around $360.
  • Options
    cjkbme2wcjkbme2w Member Posts: 82
    The $3,500 EX incentive cannot be combined with the 2.9% financing, only
    a $2,500 incentive on the EX. So, I am looking at an out the door difference of
    $2,000 for the EX vs VP 4WD (with the 2.9% financing). Too much money difference for

power seats - I hate power seats. I am always fiddling with them
    auto climate control- doesn't matter
    homelink wireless- what the heck is this
    Exterior temp- I will listen to the weather channel
    heated mirrors- nice touch, but not worth $2K more
    Security system - this is nice, but not worth $2K more

Craig
  • Options
    The incentive right now is $2,500 for a VP + 2.9% financing, so a 4WD VP

Invoice = $26,895
    Incentive = -$2,500
    Total = $24,395.

5 dealers I have worked with in a 4 state area (PA, DE, NJ, MD) are at
    this price +/- $100.
  • Options
    Hi Carabel:

How do you like the VP. I am looking to purchase a Silver 4WD version next week.

Out the door price in DE = $25,389.
    2.9% financing
    Includes all fees and taxes
    Includes a 5 yr / 100,000 mile extended warranty ($100 deductible). The price was
    about the same with other dealers, but this dealer is local and threw in the extended warranty.

Good deal or not?
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    Sounds like a very good deal. Does that price include installation? Can you post pictures if not too much of a headache? Thanks.
  • Options
    jimmyabjimmyab Member Posts: 12
    :mad: Never go to this dealership if you think you will be getting the deal you discussed over the phone or via internet sales department. I went yesterday after the internet sales department person told me that they will beat the deal from my local honda dealer by $300. She said I should come to the dealership and they will do whatever it takes to make the deal.

Now I went there the same evening and all surprises came to my ears. The sales person looked at the written "Email" quote I had and talked to the manager. The manager then comes to me and says that they cannot beat the written price. Here are his words "Our internet sales department are here just to bring you in". When I asked why you wasted my time..... he says "Who told you to come here......... I did not call you here". The sales person saying in background.... "We dont know you...... Go talk to internet sales department" who would not even have the guts to come and meet me since I think these are just some people looking to find customers that can be fooled by their deals.
  • Options
    temphantemphan Member Posts: 2
    Hi cjkbme2w

I am in DE too, newark area. Would you please tell me which dealer you planed to go? I am also interested in a 4WD VP. Thanks a lot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hi Carabel:

How do you like the VP. I am looking to purchase a Silver 4WD version next week.

Out the door price in DE = $25,389.
    2.9% financing
    Includes all fees and taxes
    Includes a 5 yr / 100,000 mile extended warranty ($100 deductible). The price was
    about the same with other dealers, but this dealer is local and threw in the extended warranty.
  • Options
    wyyangwyyang Member Posts: 29
    That's exactly what I am saying. Go get the VP. There is really no reason to get the EX unless you want EX-L for factory leather.
  • Options
    Totoally agree, VP or EXL, EX doesn't make sense for that extra money
  • Options
    tudiutudiu Member Posts: 27
    hi parviz
    You can go to: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com or
    http://www.handa-accessories.com

These are genuine Honda part/accessories stortes. I have purchased many parts and accessories from these 2 locations. Much cheaper than from your Honda Dealer.
  • Options
    pfferraropfferraro Member Posts: 4
    I will have an opportunity to buy a 2006 Pilot from my father in law in Dec 2008. Buy out price for the vehicle is around $18,500. It currently has 17K miles on it and is in very good condition.

Deal, or no deal?
  • Options
    Hi Carsly,
    I also have an open road quote and have two other Metro Honda & Madison who says they will better the deal. If we may be go to open road together we may have better nego power. Let me know if you are interested.
  • Options
    nycersnycers Member Posts: 4
    I am in the process of purchasing a Honda Pilot EXL/NAV at the end of the month , and , Ive been doing research - COSTCO INVOICE 32,270.03 CASH TO DEALER 3,500.00 Is it fair to say I should start at 28,770.03 neogotiating this sale. I was also going to use their financing 0.9 for 36 months , but from some blogs I read they say you cannot use cash to dealer and special financing together. I am also considering extras - WHEEL LOCKS - FRONT GRILL - REAR SPLASH GUARDS - EXAUST FINISHER - FENDER FLARE - SIDE STEPS - MOON ROOF VISOR AND A CARGO COVER Which is a additional 1,777.00 it now totals 30,547.03 is this a number to start with or should I just buy the extras myself and have them installed elswhere to keep the sale simple. IN NYC any advice will greatly be appreciated. THANK YOU.
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    What is the model? LX (now VP), EX, EX-L, EX-L w/Nav?

Based on the residual you state, I would guess it is one of the lower priced models and I would have to say "no deal"/ You can get $2,500 to $3,500 under invoice pricing right now on a new Pilot of your choice, if you want cheap financing (0.9% to 2.9%) you have to add $1k to the price.

Yes a new one would cost more, but not THAT much more.

Dennis
  • Options
    Hmmm...depending on timing that could work quite well. My dad is also looking for an Accord so maybe we could try a 3-fer. When are you looking to buy? I was thinking of sometime before the end of May, may wait until the Memorial Day blowouts but could buy earlier at the right price.

BTW, what kinds of prices did you get from the other dealers? and on what trim? I was thinking EX-L AWD, either with or without RES (have not decided yet).
  • Options
    Trim? also AWD or 2WD? If it's loaded and you don't want it (and the car is well taken care of) let me know! I'm in the NY area.
  • Options
    carabelcarabel Member Posts: 43
    The Honda VP is more than adequate and for the lease price I got it - it's too good to pass up. My first choice was really the Saturn Outlook, but being a new release the price difference between Outook and Pilot VP is way too high. If you are purchasing, suggest negotiate it with sidesteps or runningboards. The SUV is quite high for my young children - if you have any. The only other feature that I really want to have is the rearview camera, but the feature is bundled with other features that I have to also pay for and don't care for. The Honda Pilot drives nice and MPG is in par or better than vehicles in the same class. If you are getting a AWD - make sure to read about existing issues that some drivers seem to have with it and test drive the car you are buying to make sure that the car you are getting does not have the vibration or other noise issues that are being reported. Oh yes, I miss the auto headlight on feature of my prior Sienna. The VP is way too basic in that respect. Good luck with your purchase.
  • Options
    Hi Carsly,
    Apologies..... may be I was too fast. I bought my Pilot today from Willis Honda as they beat the Open Road Honda and also gave me a great trade-in almost on par with Kelly Blue book.

It was the smoothest car buying experience with no surprises. (BTW this is my straight 3rd Honda in a row). Open road quote was $23,981 (plus $625dest & TT) so open road would be $24,616 plus tax & taxes. Now Willis Honda beat this deal by $200 .... so I got my 2008 Honda Pilot EX AWD for $24,416 plus tags & taxes.
    The internet department manager promised to beat the deal by email and they really meant it. Beleive it or not I have been thru surprises at 2 other dealerships too as they invited me promising that they would beat the open road deal and was in for all unpleasant surprises.
    This was just amazing and the sales person I dealt "Steve" with was fabulous and spent great time showing me all features an hour after the dealership closed. :)
  • Options
    Where do you live...... in NJ, PA or DE
    I got my 2008 Honda Pilot EX 4WD for $23,781 + $635 dest plus tags & taxes (remember this includes destination price)
    :)
  • Options
    vinelsvinels Member Posts: 2
    Try CarsDirect. Their pricing is better than Costcos by a few hundred. Enough to cover the cost of Running boards and a few other accessories as well. CarsDirect will also deliver the vehicle to your home.
    FYI I got a dealership to match the Cars Direct price in mid march (EXL-NAV).
  • Options
    vinelsvinels Member Posts: 2
    Okay, I just checked cars direct for pricing in CA, and they have put their prices up. I bought my EXL-NAV in March for $28,400. They are now listing it at $31K and change.
    Sorry!
  • Options
    nycersnycers Member Posts: 4
    I just checked cars direct for 2008 PILOT EXL NAV in NYC they had a list price of 33,000.00 That does'nt seem like much of a deal to me for that I'll either wait for the 2009 and see how updated it is or go for the MAZDA CX-9. ANY OTHER HELP OUT THERE.
  • Options
    islandguy3islandguy3 Member Posts: 3
    The Carsdirect price on the website is not including the 2500 to 3500 manufacturer to dealer incentive on it. Just subtract 3500 from the invoice or 2500 from the invoice if you are getting the 2.9 percent interst loan from honda financial corp.
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    Thanks for the info, I have done some internet shopping also on the accessories and parts. However, I try to avoid buying heavy/bulky stuff like the runners from the internet since the shipping. handling fee usually eats up any savings one might get buying on line, and if there is a problem with the part I would have to pay another hefty S/H to get it returned. A few months ago I checked shipping on the running boards and it was over $100.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention, in most states the title for a leased vehicle and only be transferred to the lessee (your father in law, in this case) or a licensed car dealer. You can't buy the car from his lease bank in most cases. Sales tax will apply in most states as well - so he would have to pay tax on the $18,500 in order to get title to the Pilot and then YOU would have to pay tax again to register the car and transfer the title into your name. In some states (CA, for one) he can claim a tax credit if he resells the car within xx days of purchase. But in most other cases the double tax will kill this be anything close to a deal for you. If you have a friend that is a car dealer, they could handle the paperwork for you - buy the car from the lease bank and sell it to you - without the double tax applying. You might find a dealer willing to handle the paperwork for a few hundred dollars but those are getting harder to find due to things like liability and gross receipts taxes.

Dennis
  • Options
    I would try NJ dealers and further out until you find some dealers willing to make a deal. The time to buy a Pilot is now - with the $3,500 dealer money on them ($2,500 if you take the cheap finance option). If you wait for a deal on an 09 Pilot you could be waiting a very long time - as they will not be much discounting at first and surely no dealer money for some time after the new model hits. New model always means stronger sales and less savings - at first.

I don't think the carsdirect prices are reflecting the dealer money, since they come up with about invoice for for Pilots when I check there. It could they have not updated the prices yet for April?

Dennis
  • Options
    With all due respect Dennis, the time to buy a Pilot will be in May or June (for a 2008 model, that is). The $3,500 below invoice deals have been floating at least since December and seem to be an annual occurrence so nothing special to see here. With new car sales in the US getting worse and worse every week it is quite possible, if not likely, that we will see something akin to the 0% APR employee pricing deals of the summer of 2002 from many manufacturers. I doubt they will discount as heavily as that summer, but the signs in the form of Honda's 0.9% APR up to 36 months are already pointing in that direction.

I, for one, suspect that Honda has already bumped up the marketing support to $4,500 on most trims based on the deals I've been seeing the last few weeks. Stay tuned but I expect that the real blowouts will start Memorial Day weekend.
  • Options
    I would agree Dennis that it's the time to pull trigger if anyone is in market and ready to purchase the 2008 Pilot. I have been watching Pilot for more than one month and just purchased a silver VP 4WD a few days ago.

The current deal is already good regard of the combination of dealer cash incentive and 0.9APR, at least for me.

Carsly made a valid point that there MAY be better deal on Memorial day, just like Honda did in President day, but there are a few other facts you may also consider:

1. 2009 model will be avaliable in dealer's parking lot very soon, when time goes by,
    the choice of color and model of 2008 will become less and less. it's important for many people if they have preference since it's not a small amount of investment and you may need to drive the car everyday.

2. what's the difference of 0% and 0.9% APR, not that much. In my case, it's only $300 and something for three years.

3. March# of Pilot was bad, down 26% comparing 07's #, since there was no lease special on some models and no special APR on March, but APRIL have both, some people like me may think it's a good deal, this will impact the sales #, right? Whether or not Honda is going to increase/decrease incentive majorly depends on how market reacts on their previous incentives, if market shows too positive, they will offer less (like March), if market shows negative, they will offer more (like April).
    In Feb, the # was pretty good, then Honda dropped $1000 in VP on March, but since March # was not good, Honda allows APR combined on VP to compensate that $1000 on April. There is chance that it may happen again in either way although overall I would agree Carsly that the price trend should go down instead of up.

4. Another fact is how many 2009 units quened in pipeline before 2009 starts to ship and how eagerly Honda/dealers are willing to get rid of them. that's what we don't know. We sholdn't expect Honda has too bad managment to shoot themself

5. You may also consider what's your second plan if the deal never comes. We did a lot of reseach on our next car, reading reviews and CR, checking youtube crashing tests, testing driving etc, we finnally locked three cars which meet our needs and Pilot is one of them. We need to pay more for other options if we don't buy Pilot.

6. Right now, we can easily get the whole dealer cash plus some holdback. Let's assume Honda is going to offer $4500 on June, is it still so easy to get all incentive plus same amount of holdback? I doult it.

7. Cashback will hurt the resale value and finally hurt the Honda brand, $4500 plus 0% may be too good to be true. I can't remember Honda ever did that and doult Honda is going to do so this time.

8. Last thing is the cost of your waiting. A lesson I have learned in my life is once you know what you want and you think it's already GOOD, go get it, don't waste your time to wait the BEST, it may never come.

Like I said at beginning, I may be baised since I recently purchased a Pilot. You need to use your own judgement to read my post. But any way, it's just my 2 cents and my only intention is trying to provide some thought to help, like others did to me.
  • Options
    pfferraropfferraro Member Posts: 4
    It's an AWD. I think it's an EX, because it has a poer dirver seat, but it's hard to tell. No badges, nothing on the invoice to say which model it is.

It seems like I could get a VP model for $23k or so according to this forum...saving $5k seems to make get a 3 year old vehicle (by Dec) attractive.
  • Options
    manypilotsmanypilots Member Posts: 25
    We purchased a Pilot w/navi this weekend. Did some heavy research, and I felt this deal was very, very good, like you did. I got into most of the dealer holdback, so this car was way below invoice. I traded the same Pilot model ('04) to the dealer, for which I got a price $300 more than Kelley and what Carmax offered, so I was satisfied on that end of the deal. What was most satisfying is that I paid about $2,500 less for the '08 than I did for the same model '04, and the '08 has some pretty significant upgrades.
    I felt that inventory was tightening for the '08 in our area, and to get the color we wanted (steel blue), now was the time. The dealer showed us what he had coming in, and it was very few '08s, and not any colors we would want. He showed that '09s were scheduled to start coming in soon.
    I know we will have some "new model envy" when the '09s hit the floor, and also have to live with the fact that the incentives on '08s may increase even more if they don't continue to move '08 inventory (like you, I don't see that happening). I also think I got a sweet deal on a vehicle that has treated us well in the past, for which I paid thousands less than a comparable '09. The chance of any significant discounts from MSRP on the '09s when they hit the floor are slim IMHO.
  • Options
    We don't know what will happen or not happen in the future. Those that wanted a great LEASE deal on a Pilot for the most part missed the boat on those waiting for the deals to get better.

If you can get a new Pilot $2,500 to $3,500 under invoice and priced down into the hold back and perhaps financed at well below market (in exchange for a $1k higher price) rates it is a great time to buy a Pilot.

If you want to hold out for a better deal, then you run the risk of not being able to get the model and color you want - but a little bit better price. How much better? We have no way of knowing. If you are not picky about the model and color then waiting until the 09 Pilots are on the way or on the lots should save even more money.

Note that the best deal may have already passed anyway - when you could get $3,500 in dealer money AND a regional discounted finance rate. With the regional rate it could be combined with the dealer money, unlike the current national cheap rate.

Right now IS a good time to buy a Pilot - in any case. Will it be the BEST time all year? Probably not. For those of us that prefer to lease, the best time was a couple of months back.

Dennis
  • Options
    As I said, with double tax it will not be that good of a deal. Say you live where there is 6% tax, then it becomes an $19,610 buy out for your father in law and will cost you $20,787. A FWD VP should be $23,130 or less for a new Pilot, $24,073 or less for a new EX FWD (plus tax, of course).

By the time his lease is up, these deals will be long, long gone. So if you plan on waiting that long this might be a decent option - but with the double tax probably not. If you live where there is no double tax, then it becomes more reasonable. I would check the Edmunds, KBB, and NADA used prices online and check listings on places like cars.com, autotrader.com, and ebay to see what similar Pilots are worth and what range of price offers they have on them. Then decide of the lease buy out is a fair price or not.

Dennis
  • Options
    Theoretically, double tax is a concern.

However, practically I have yet to meet a dealer that will not help out with this situation. I just turned in a 2005 BMW X3 off-lease and brought a friend of the family who wanted to buy it at the same time. The dealer did not hesitate, they did charge to put it in the Certified Pre-Owned program (extended warranty, new floor mats, detailed the car) but otherwise didn't blink. Tax was paid just once by the buyer.

I'd say talk to the dealer that you would need to return to the vehicle to and chances are good they will work with you, perhaps swapping their help for a few hundred dollars or the sale of a warranty.
  • Options
    Here, dealers are charged taxes on inventory and a "Gross receipts" tax so everything that passes through the dealership costs them money. Used to be folks did this all the time - a "buy and bye" - but the last few times I asked a dealer about it they quoted me many hundreds in fees.

On a BMWFS turn in they normally offer it to the turn in dealer for a nice discount and often there is enough "profit" for the dealer to CPO it with little or no out of pocket from the buyer. So no doubt if the buyer pays full CPO price and fees there is more than enough for them to handle the deal for you. Even if they don't get a nice discount (popular model, low residual, etc) the turn in dealer always gets first crack at it, I am told.

On AHFC turn ins the dealer gets $500 off if the lessee buys the car back, so they will do it "for free" for you while actually making $500. I am pretty sure, like Mazda, all other lease turn ins have to go to the auction lot and can't be sold (or purchased) by the turn in dealership. So that leaves buying it out before lease end, which can be done by a licensed dealer - but again you have to leave them room to make some profit for handling the transaction - profit plus and taxes due for handling the deal and having the car in inventory.

Dennis
  • Options
    blazerboyblazerboy Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking of making an offer on a 2008 Honda Pilot SE. Based on market conditions, what should I offer?