Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lufacalufaca Member Posts: 31
    Yes, Let's see. Honda is being snobbish about their products. Yes their products are good but let’s see how long their loyal fans stick around. They keep on giving incentives but cut off the financing or the reverse. I personally like Honda but if I do not see the price I want to pay whenever I am ready to buy I am looking somewhere else.
  • debudedebude Member Posts: 1
    I have asked few dealer in CT, none of them want to match the price I found from the forum.

Is there anyone know good dealer in Fairfield or NY?
  • pilotbound1pilotbound1 Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone heard that supply of the '09 Pilot EX- no leather are low in the Northeast? Dealer claims only 30 left in NY and he has 20 . I fear that they deliberately did this to raise the price above list? I am trying to get one at about 27,600 is my goal. Any feedback? Any idea what the new incentives will be this week?
    Pilot Bound
  • integradriverintegradriver Member Posts: 123
    I don't know if I believe your dealer claiming he has 2/3 of all the EX no L that are in NY, but from the dealers we looked at (NJ, DE and MD), the most EX no L anyone had was two out of a dozen or so Pilots in stock.

We got $27925 including Destination on an AWD EX no L when they were running the $1500 dealer cash.
  • petrolheadpetrolhead Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. That will be my target price. Maybe with sales so bad I can extract an even better price.
  • daisy15daisy15 Member Posts: 3
    We were able to get '09 AWD EX (no leather) in Northern VA for 26,701 including destination on Feb. 1 ($1500 dealer cash was in effect at the time).
  • jeremiastanjeremiastan Member Posts: 25
    Where in NoVA?
  • pc93pc93 Member Posts: 1
    That sounds like a very good price for the EX L w/RES...I am in Ohio and have been quoted 32600 for same +ttl

Thanks.
  • pauhuapauhua Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased on Saturday:

$35,000 + TTL incl door edge guards, wheel locks, wheel well trim. No trade.
  • daisy15daisy15 Member Posts: 3
    Hendrick Honda - Sheehy also had similar prices.
  • georgporschegeorgporsche Member Posts: 12
    I purchased an EX -no leather at Marysville Honda (in Marysville OH). Price was 27,442 (including dest). Their website says they still have 4 left.
  • lithnightslithnights Member Posts: 25
    I am a new, new car buyer. I am impressed by all these deals I see, but I have to ask how/why dealers sell a car below the invoice value? Can you give me a real life example of how a dealer can sell e.g. a $32,000 invoice Pilot for $31,000? Are they really losing $1,000 or do the factory incentives and stuff like that actually still allow them a profit?

Thanks all!
  • wangliliwanglili Member Posts: 1
    I’ve just brought a headphone from Hondapartsnow.
    http://www.hondapartsnow.com/discount/honda~headphone~unit~39580-S0X-A01.html
    It’s comfortable and of high quality, the most important thing is that it’s half of the original price!
    You can also have a try if your vehicle is Odyssey 99-04 or Pilot 03-07!
  • wjb1044wjb1044 Member Posts: 1
    I have received the following quote from a local dealer on a 2009 Pilot EX with aftermarket leather:

$24,493.00 2009 Honda Pilot EX 2WD
    1,295.00 Leather seating
    670.00 Destination and handling
    556.50 dealer fees
    1,855.95 7% sales tax
    42.00 Tag/ title/ lemon law
    $28,912.45 TOTAL

Do you think this is a good deal or do you think I could go lower?

Thanks for your advice.
  • hawkmanvahawkmanva Member Posts: 27
    I was quoted $34,487.. excludes TTT and $349 processing fee. What do you think about this price?

I was also quoted $30,587 for EX-L with DVD 4x4 ..

any comments appreciated :confuse:
  • taurus77taurus77 Member Posts: 3
    Looking to buy Pilot EX-L this month. Have gotten some quotes all in the $30K area. Live in NJ- what's everyone else getting quoted?
    I was quoted $34,487.. excludes tax, title and tag and destination. What do you think about this price?

I was also quoted $30,587 for EX-L with DVD 4x4 ..

any comments appreciated
    hawkmanva- what are are you from? You are getting quoted the same for EXL with DVD that I am for just EXL
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    He should be in VA Beach.
  • carfanscarfans Member Posts: 4
    I think that is pretty good deal currently, where did you get it from?

thanks,
  • tam_htam_h Member Posts: 3
    Hi, we just bought an EX, no leather in Mass and were led to believe there is a shortage of LX and EX no leather. Our dealer was able to get us one but did not have any on their lot. We had also checked with the largest dealer in Mass. and they had not a single LX or EX no leather. We did, however, find a local dealer with an LX which helped us to determine we needed the EX. They are out there, but definitely not as plentiful as the higher end models. Hope this info. helps!!
    Those numbers aren't from Virginia Beach... got the numbers from DC area. The VB numbers were higher but they haven't responded yet if they will match. Otherwise I'll drive to DC

I noticed while driving the touring that the parking sensors had to be almost right on the object before they signaled. Also the backup camera shows a lot of space between you and the object, but that isn't so... any other experiences with that?
  • ejoseph24ejoseph24 Member Posts: 1
    Did you have a trade-in with this 30K quote?
  • nnylfannylfa Member Posts: 3
    The dealer was Matt Castrucci in Dayton, Ohio. We dealt with their internet manager and he was very professional. When we tried to shop their numbers around to other local dealers, other dealers couldn't come close to Castrucci's. They have a lot of cars on their lots and must want to move them.

They are a partner with a local credit union that is offering 3.9% financing.

Good luck.
  • blueantzblueantz Member Posts: 3
    We sent out requests for quotes to the two local dealerships, and one of them sent me this quote:

2009 Honda Pilot EX-L RES AWD

MSRP $33,979

Internet Sale Price $25,228

Obviously, she has the MSRP wrong...if we say, "ok, we'll take it," can they back out because they gave incorrect info? Also, I don't believe they have our top color preference, so we probably wouldn't want one from their lot.

(The other dealer came back with invoice ($33,979.21) minus $1500 incentive, and said she won't go under invoice, but that still seems a little high to me from the numbers I've been seeing...)
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    I would do one of two things, email back and confirm you noticed the invoice was wrong and ask them to double check or just call them and confirm the price.

I would email another 2 dealers, give yourself 4 choices. And typically you can tell who to deal with by the body of the responses.

Anything can happen. Just like you could back out after you say "we'll take it" The deal is never done until the papers are signed and the wheels roll over the curb.
    no trade in
  • MommyVMommyV Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I just bought our car last weekend.

MSRP: $35,865.00
    Sale Price: $29,900.00 including destination
    Dealer Fees: $499.00
    Sales Tax: $1850.87 (6.0%) :cry:
    New Tag/Title
    and Lemon Law $250.13
    OUT THE DOOR $32,500.00

Also includes "Appearance Package" $899.00 and
    Cargo Tray $199.00

3.19% for 60 months w/our Tyndall fed credit union.

Hope this helps any looking to purchase. Thanks in advance for any comments.
    I was given $30,587 for a 2009 pilot Ex-l with DVD 4x4
  • jboogie2323jboogie2323 Member Posts: 8
    Unfortunately there is nothing you can do with this quote.. I have been watching this forum for a long time, and you are like the third person i have seen that a dealer gave a unheard of low price to. I would definitely confirm that they are going to honor your quote before making a trip to the dealer. But i wouldn't expect to much because the dealer is just trying to get you to come into there lot.. Oh and the other people that received quotes like yours were met with disappointment when the dealer came back and said "oh whoops are price is actually $5,000.00 higher". So good luck..
    I will agree with you . I have been in the market since late November, I never did get my price point. This forum was very helpful. The price point I wanted ( it is a buyers market ?) was mid $26K for a EX no leather., and I expected some decent finacing .
    The Honda dealers thought they were lighting my fire with a price of $28,865, no financing.( Boch in MA , has some deals but 200 miles from me www.bochhonda.com) Well I pulled the trigger today on a 2008 Toyota Highlander Base ( no leather ) I gave up Climate Control, and a little room,gained a moon roof but I think I got a great deal, out the door w/o tax, dealer fees only $65! none of this $349 etc, premium color for $26,070. Toyota has $3,500 in dealer monies ( so it is off the top price not like a consumer rebate and after taxes, about $300 savings) and $100 over invoice $29,570 on $32,873 list . So I am no longer Pilot Bound.
    Thank for listening
  • rayjlrayjl Member Posts: 5
    consider you got a 2008 highlander leftover. you paid way to much. if you trade in that car in today the car is probably worth 12-13k. So I think you out smarted yourself considering that you are upside down $15k.
    Please let us know if they actually honor this quote? Was this a written quote or oral?
  • tbt2tbt2 Member Posts: 3
    Price paid two weeks ago:
    36,285 list
    5,000 trade
    4,437 discount
    26848.00 final price financed for 60 months
    1730.00 sales tax paid separately
    no dealer fees

Can't decide if I got good deal or not but I know I like The Pilot better than the other vehicles in class that we tried. I needed a vehicle with third row so fuel efficiency was out the door anyway. We will see if I still love it this much when gas goes up again.
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    So what you're saying is that your target price of $26500 was not realistic. And to top it off you bought a new one year old car?
  • blueantzblueantz Member Posts: 3
    The price was in an email. I wrote back and was told that the real price is $32,242.

As of right now, most of the dealerships I've emailed are quoting $32-something. There is one that quoted $30.5K, but I think he also was basing it off an incorrect MSRP. I'm going to email back to verify tomorrow, but I'm afraid I'm going to get another "whoops!" I've seen plenty of people here and on other boards getting a price closer to $30K, so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to get anyone to come down $2K...Any suggestions on what to do if they all end up in the $32K range?
    I beg to differ, trade in would be about 21,200, would not trade in, Private sale about $23,350, and that difference to price paid would be the first year dep, Dealers selling Certified at about $27,000. I am ok and happy with the price point. Thanks
    Keep looking????

When you are ready to buy, I would send them all a detailed email with your full name and a contact phone number. Tell them that you are ready to purchase car "x" to the person who can meet or come closest to your price.

If you have a trade let them know that as well and describe the vehicle.

Then if they call talk to them, or follow up with them on the phone. Be candid and honest and let them know you are ready to buy and the dealer who meets your price has a sale.

The phone is critical, if they are vague or give you the come in and we will talk - just cross them off the list. The one who is the most thorough on the phone is the one to go with even if they are a few hundred more.

If no one meets your price, then sit back for a week and see if they call you back. If they don't well then your price is too low. There is no shame with going back and raising your price.

Best time to call after 6pm. As one salesman once told me, the deal I may make at 8pm would never happen at 8am.

good luck.
  • rayjlrayjl Member Posts: 5
    I don't know where you are getting your figures from but a 2008 Highlander "Base" is not worth 21k on a trade in
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    As part of our ongoing efforts to improve Edmunds.com, we are asking members such as yourself to help us better organize the navigation of the site to ensure the information and resources you need are always easy to find.

If you have a few minutes, we would greatly appreciate your participation in a quick (and fun) exercise on how best to organize our site information.

http://edmunds.optimalsort.com/ersm/
    Factory to dealer incentives allow a dealer to sell a vehicle below invoice. These incentives change, typically on a month to month basis, so a price you get may not be good if the incentive expires and the manufacturer does not offer it again.

The dealers also receive a 'holdback' payment. They might be willing to use up some of this to make a deal, but they don't like doing it and may pass on a deal if it's eating into holdback.

Other incentives to sell below invoice might be 'spiff' payments to salespeople, vehicle allocations/quotas, sales contests, or even a desirable trade in vehicle.
    Thanks integradriver.
    I guess my next logical question would be, can one determine WHEN those incentives are being offered? e.g. I am looking to buy a new Pilot in the June - August timeframe. Obviously I'd like to do it when they are offering such an incentive, but how would one know when that is?

Basically I could be offered e.g. a price of 32K in June, or 31K in July, or 32K in Aug based on incentives. But how would I know when they are being offered, and thus when I should buy? Is it a crapshoot? Or does one call the dealers and find out?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    lithnights

It is like predicting the Dow Jones in June, July and August ... it is impossible.
    That's what I figured. I guess I thought that sometimes dealers would be open to what the incentives are, in order to increase the chance of a sale. e.g. I stopped by a Toyota dealership to test drive the Highlander, and he said he would look up to see if there were any incentives at that time. He made it sound like he would be open to letting me know when they were. But I guess every salesman is different.
    The only incentive a salesman is going to be interested in is the one that rolls you over the curb today. Too many variables in waiting for you to buy a car a few months from now.

A dealer might have an indication a few days in advance of whether or not an incentive is going to be run in the following month, but if there's one on today, you can bet they're going to mention that it might not be available tomorrow. 'Fear of loss' is a common sales tactic (and not without merit in some cases).

The scenario you mentioned in a previous post is accurate. If there's a month with a $1000 incentive sandwiched between two with no incentive, your best deal is in the month with the incentive. Of course, they could offer $1000 this month and you buy, and $2000 next month...
    Yes I got it from Edmonds, but thank you for your input , It is not important to me about the trade in , I am happy with my deal.
  • verybeegverybeeg Member Posts: 19
    I got three quotes for a Pilot 4WD EXL-RES without the navigation system. Ready to buy tomorrow (my car was totaled, so I need a new car now.) The lowest quote is $31,500; the highest $32,585. This is for a lease. After getting all the fees information, the dealer with the highest price came out to have the lowest payment, because there is no bank fee or credit check fee. The only fees this one charges are destination and DMV.

Purchase price $32,585
    No trade In
    Cap cost reduction $2,000
    Money factor 0.00151 (seems like that's the best from Honda)
    Residual 49% $18,406.85
    Lease term 39 mth

If anyone out there is getting a better purchase price or residual value, pls let me know. I am more upset with the residual of 49% for a Honda. Last year a friend leased a Pilot with a 57% residual.
    The reason the payment is lower is because there is a $2,000 Cap cost reduction. I would tell them all you want to put down is 1st month and tags. Save your $2,000, it is never wise to put money down on a lease. Case in point - if you total the car, that money is lost. ;)

If you switch to a 36 month lease, it should raise the residual by 1%. The 39 month lease is a gimic that provides the illusion of a lower monthly payment, but that savings is never more than the 3 additional payments it costs.

I think your friend is blowing smoke on the 57%.
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    Last year in May and June, when the 2009 Pilot came out, the res. was in the upper 50%. I dont know if 57% is spot on, but it's damn close.