Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• longdong1longdong1 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody just purchased Honda Pilot 4WD LX/EX in St. Louis Area? What's the price you get? Thanks!
  • cmsweicmswei Member Posts: 2
    Looking for a 2009 Honda Pilot 4x4 touring pkg with Navigation in the Sacramento CA area. Which dealer offers the lowest price? I've seen some price quotes on here for around $33,500plus tax. Also what about the extended warranty true cost.
  • rolandmathrolandmath Member Posts: 5
    I have been looking for a EX-L 4WD but have had no luck here in San Antonio. I was previously given an offer on an EX-L 4WD at $30175 but procrastinated. I have now been given an offer on a FWD EX-L at 28250 at 4%. Is that a good offer? I have looked at previous post and all refer to EX-L with 4WD. I have to buy before the end of the week. I gifted my current car to my sister and I can't wait for dealers to restock. I do some minor off roading to the river and out at my friends ranch. Am I missing out if I get the FWD instead of the 4WD?
  • nucargurlnucargurl Member Posts: 30
    Does this include destination? Do you mean 4% interest? Is it Honda financing?
  • penguins1penguins1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi All,

I have been reading these forums for awhile. They have been super helpful. Thanks for everything.

We are still trying to decide between Touring, EX-L, and LX. I know, huge variation. We just want to see actual pricing before we decide what trim we want.

My main question is regarding how to approach requesting quotes and what to expect in return. I submitted three seperate quote requests to a local (Austin, TX) dealer today and didn't hear back. I was surprised figuring I would hear back in 5 minutes! Is that typical? Also, should I not be requesting quotes prior to deciding on a trim? Will I not get the best pricing this way?

Thanks!!
  • wantapilot200wantapilot200 Member Posts: 1
    I went to a local honda dealer today and drove a 09 Pilot 4wd EX-L w/RES.
    I really liked it and got a price for $32988(incl dest) adding up to $36000 OTD.

It's the first car that I had to negotiate on my own and I'm not sure how I did so I was hoping for some input.

Thanks. :)
    The 28250 does include the destination; the financing was secured by honda from a local credit union I am unaffiliated with but can become a member of if I need to. I can always go to Austin but it would be awfully out of the way. Is 4WD superior enough to pay the extra ~2000 for minor off roading?
    Thanks for responding to the dest question. I'm sorry that I can't answer the 4wd question. I haven't purchased yet - but my husband thinks that we NEED 4WD. I'm not so sure, but I have no intention of my car to EVER get near offroading.
    PS: I've been lurking here for months & 28250 seems like a deal.
  • pilot4epilot4e Member Posts: 8
    I will be buying a 2009 Pilot at the end of the month. Considering EX or EX-L 4WDrives. Anybody had a good experience with a particular Honda dealership in Chicago area? Thank you!
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    I have purchased or leased 5 Honda's.

Here are the places to absolutely avoid:
    O'Hare Honda
    Schaumburg Honda

The absolute best experience I ever had was Motorwerks in Barrington ( I leased a Pilot from them last month). The were upfront, professional and no games.
    If you email me I will provide you the name of the salesman I dealt with.

The best place I have dealt with but never purchased from - Muller Honda in Libertyville. Always competitive on price, but just a bit of a drive for me.

good luck.
    I just got back from O'Hare Honda. They wouldn't even let me test drive a car without commitment to buy it. So, they are out of my list. Thank you for your suggestions and I will definitely consider Muller and Motorworks. I will be e-mailing them tommorow night. How do I get in touch with you so I can get the salesman's name. I really appreciate your help!
  • amjd1amjd1 Member Posts: 9
    I have had good experience with Castle Honda in Morton Grove. I have purchased two Odysseys there. I've tried Muller but have had mixed results. The price was fine at Muller but they played games with what they had in inventory. Castle lived up to the price and color promised. I conducted the last transaction with Castle entirely through email until I showed up at the dealer. The car was there as promised, I took a quick inspection drive since I had already test driven the same model and did the paperwork in 30 minutes. I'm in the market for a Pilot this summer and I'll go back to Castle.
  • chicagojoechicagojoe Member Posts: 14
    Pilot4e -

I watched these boards for 6 months before pulling the trigger and buying a 2009 Pilot Touring from Honda Superstore in Joliet. I shopped at least 8 different dealers and ended up with a GREAT deal from the Internet Sales department at the Joliet Superstore. I too had a bad "bait and switch" scenario with Schaumberg - my "price" went up $2,000 when they someohow confused my 4WD request with a 2WD price. I hate games like this.

I would be happy to give you all the contact info off-line - just open up your personal e-mail id on your Carspace profile - and I will shoot you all the details. (you can turn it back "off" right after) Another place you can look for pertinent information is www.dealerrater.com Check it out and get real comments on Chicago (and other) dealershops across the country.

btw - I also bought a HondaCare extended warranty - and managed to negotiate a good deal by using the "online" warranty sellers as pat of the negotiation.

You will love the Pilot - one of the best values for the money out there.

Let me know if it helps!!
    Penguins1

I would give them at least 24 hours to turn a request around. Make sure you are talking to the internet sales department as well. They should all be willing to give you the numbers / configurations that you want - especially in this market. To get a better feel for the total out the door pricing - you can either ask for "OTD" - or request that they send you a "buyers order". The buyers order will essentially detail out all of the pricing including destination, tax, tags, "junk" fee like "doc fees", etc.. It give you more of a "written" quote that you can use. Make sure they don't leave things out like the "2WD" for "4WD" or the destination fees. You need to make sure you get that all priced out before you leave your house and head for the dealer. Once you walk in - it becomes easy to get caught in the moment and that "new car smell" clouds your judgment. Take your paperwork with you - print out your e-mails and be prepared to walk out.
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    Click on my name and it will give you my email address, you can send me an email and I will reply.
  • ed111ed111 Member Posts: 22
    chicagoejoe, please post your deal specifics so others may benefit, as you did, from these boards.

Was yours a Touring 4WD without RES?

Thanks.
    Yes - mine is Touring, 4WD, no RES

All of my details are posted already - look for posting #12326
  • boatnfool4lifeboatnfool4life Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased 09, 4wd, Touring, W/RES from Valley Honda in Aurora. I sent e-mail requests to several and all cam in arounf the same. Test drove a couple in Lisle but would not go back to them. Valley was able to get me 4.9% (I have a great rating). Very easy deal overall. They had to locate mine (nimbus grey).
  • 02z7102z71 Member Posts: 4
    Good Day,I was looking at different cars 2 weeks ago and finally settled on the 09 Pilot. I did look at other cars,CX-9, MDX, Acadia, Tribeca, EXPLORER, MOUNTAINEER, and went with the pilot. When looking atthe Acadia, the GMC dealer in Springfield Ma would not even give us a price for the Acadia, but then neither did their Honda dealer for the Pilot. After shopping around, I finally went out to Herb Chambers in Westborough Mass and, after 20 min of talking with a NORMal guy, got a deal that was to good to pass up. We took delivery on a Bali Blue, 09 pilot touring with DVD. It was about $34674.70 and we got bluebook for our 03 Mountaineer. They also saved us about 0.5%point in interest over our credit union. Upon delivery, this NORMal guy spent about an hour with us going comletely over the vehicle. All-in-all, I went to 5 different dealers from Balise, to LIA, to Boch to Bernardi and though they offered to match the price, they would not come near the $8000 trade for the Mountaineer. In fact, no one else was within $1.5-2k of our trade-in requirement. The NORMal guy at Herb Chambers came through for us big time without spending big time negotialing.
  • hockeyplayer99hockeyplayer99 Member Posts: 4
    I just recently bought a 2009 pilot touring with Navi and Dvd in Mass for 34585. Did I get a good deal
  • VT314VT314 Member Posts: 3
    Looks like a good deal - Which dealer did you buy it from.
    We are also in the market to but the exact same car you bought.
  • CalifLookieLooCalifLookieLoo Member Posts: 22
    Was this an AWD or a 2WD? I'm having a heck of a time finding a 4x4 Touring in California!
    this is an AWD
    Only thing is I live out of state so I had to drive 4 hours to fill out paperwork, I don't pick up the car till April 4th because Iwill be back up there then, it is Boch. Theyhave alot of cars on the lot,
  • mlt007mlt007 Member Posts: 16
    Just purchased -EXL 2WD for 29,000. OTD was a little over 30,000. I am in Mobile, Alabama. I did get a few accessories- back seat cover, cargo area cover, moonroof visor and remote for 800.00 more. Thanks to all on this forum. I feel that this was a very good good deal and this forum allowed me to negotiate and be in control of the sale. (especially since I am single female and they wanted to play hardball until I I told them what I was going to pay and walked out. They called me before I could get to my house from the dealership!! )

I did buy the GAP insurance but not the extended warranty. Any thoughts on GAP insurance?

Thanks again to all of those who have contributed. You really helped me do something I could have never done by myself!!!! Love my Pilot!!
    Michelle
    Can you give us an actual breakdown, including the accessories and which dealer you purchased from.

Congratulations on your deal.
  • mlt007mlt007 Member Posts: 16
    approx- (my paperwork is at home) 29,000 + TTL = 30600. Tax on my car in AL was about 925.00. Accessories: backseat car cover (for dog) 256.00
    remote engine starter 500.00
    cargo area cover 68.00
    sunroof visor 136.00

Also- I bought GAP insurance for 700.00. I was not sure if I needed this but I do live in a hurricane area/flood zone and I figured it could not hurt. I also ordered the all weather car mats from Bernardi and I paid 139.00. (dealer was 196.00) The dealer I bought from was Treadwell Honda, Mobile, Al. They were great. I actually sold my car (instead of trade) and they held my car for almost 1 week while I waited on this transaction. Ant more questions- I will be glad to explain anything further. It was so worth it!! I cant wait to take my truck on a road trip!!! Michelle
  • carbcarb Member Posts: 14
    Got a quote on a new 09 Pilot EX-L 2WD for $ 28,593.00 (includes destination) + TTL + fees. Is that a good deal?
    That is a great deal. For those of you reading this looking to buy an EX-L model don't pay more than 29000 for a 2WD or 31000 for a 4WD before ttl.
    Thanks. I've been writing down any good prices that I see. I was wondering what the "don't pay more than price" is for EXL. Any thoughts on Touring with no RES?
  • jpneedcarjpneedcar Member Posts: 11
    Even $31K for EXL 4WD is high. I have been looking to buy Pilot, now kind of debating between Acura MDX or Pilot. In Feb, a dealer in Dayton, OH came out with a price $29, 500 (incl. of destination) and the dealer near my place had agreed to match that price. Now in March, we still have the same rebate from Honda, so technically you would get the same deal (you can see that posting in this thread). Moreover, I am hearing there are lots of Pilots still in the lot. so, if you wait for few months when 2010 models comes out, rates will drop. Thanks.
  • resteparestepa Member Posts: 1
    anyone from central/northern new york who can help me in finding the best deals on financing EX-L Pilot? all they are offering is just $4000 off MSRP. and when is the best time to buy (middle of the week? end of the month etc..) thank you!
  • shap5shap5 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for some pricing experiences in NJ. Any great deals?
  • farefare Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased a black EX 4WD for $26,554 plus $270 for accessories (mudflaps, pinstripe and wheel locks) and $595 for freight. 6% sales tax in Maryland and all the "Republic of Maryland" fees additional.
  • ppaganoppagano Member Posts: 1
    Fare...where did you buy? What was your total purchase price - itemize please :) I am in MD too and interested in a deal!
  • farefare Member Posts: 4
    I purchased at Honda of Bowie. The numbers were:
    $26,554 base price
    595 freight
    270 accessories (mudguards, pinstripe, wheel locks)
    100 processing fee
    1,950 tax,tags,license, fees

Grand total: $29,469.
    I could have done without the accessories, but I wanted the black and that's what it had. Gotta love the 6% sales tax :( and fees! Good luck with your purchase.
  • paulcamipaulcami Member Posts: 3
    All,

Just received a OTD price of $37,275.00 for a 2009 Honda Pilot Touring w/RES 4WD from Pohanka Honda here in MD. Just wanted to know what you guys think and thanks in advance.

p
  • hondapilotfanhondapilotfan Member Posts: 3
    I am in Michigan and trying to buy 2009 Honda Pilot Touring Nav + RES 4WD. The best deal have received from a dealer is $34,399.00 + TTL.

I will appreciate if people in this forum can tell me their expert opinion about whether this is a good deal or not.

Thanks
    Paul,

Looking for the same in California! Can you please post the price without the Maryland TTL? Thank you, and congratulations!
    CalifLookieLoo,

Thanks. I went through a car buying service and they quoted me $35,577.00. I then called the dealer and asked for there OTD cost.

p
  • steved192steved192 Member Posts: 21
    Hi there-

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the dealer hold back is on the 09's. Any other variables we should know about when negotiating price?

Also, what is a good price to be at for an EX and EXL? I think I read that even $30000 is too high for an EXL.

Thanks for the information.
    Depends on what you want, what region you're in, and how bad the dealer is hurting. If the area has a lot of the particular vehicle you're looking for in stock then you can get a good deal. If there is a shortage then you are at their mercy. I just purchased a 2009 4WD EX-L in San Antonio for 30400+TTL. The range I got was 28250 for an FWD EX-L to 31000 for a 4WD EX-L. Don't take sh*t from them and don't let them convince you to get something you don't want. I was also able to do everything through email. And I believe the average hold back is 2 to 3 percent of the invoice.

-R
    The best quote for a Pilot EX 4WD in Chicago area is $27 400(including destination) from Barington Honda. However I lost my job before buying it, so I could not really deal with them. Grand Honda came close to that.
  • keygokeygo Member Posts: 38
    Not sure but when I bought mine in Michigan I found the best price I could on the internet. At that point it was in New Jersey. I sent the price to Fox Honda in Grand Rapids and they matched it. No one on my side of the state (Southeastern/Central) would even come close. It was the easiest car I ever bought.
    Good luck.
  • hondapilotfanhondapilotfan Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Keygo,

Will it be possible for you to let me know the price that you paid and was it Touring Nav + RES 4WD?

I appreciate your response.

Thanks
    I am having the hardest time locating a 4WD Touring w/NAV & RES in the DC area. Are you guys experiencing the same shortage?
  • franktrenholmfranktrenholm Member Posts: 2
    I'm seeing the same thing in the New York area. Very few Tourings.
    Same in California. The closest Sterling Gray Metallic 4x4 Touring I can find is over 700 miles away! I'm right out of Los Angeles, and surprised with the shortage of Touring Editions - especially the lack of 4x4's - out here.

Are the 2010's on the way? There are a ton of EX-L's on the lots, would hate to have to wait for them to all sell before the Tourings are brought in!
  • duna2duna2 Member Posts: 1
    Great deal, what does it have on it? We just paid more for a touring res 2wd but with a lot of accessories incl. moon roof, premium running boards, towing, all weather mats, cargo tray. We paid 35400, so I would say that is a great deal. I feel inept now, although i got $1250 more on my trade-in than offered anywhere else, so that's a bonus. This was in Dallas.
  • fsledjeskifsledjeski Member Posts: 8
    just an fyi, i did not buy the pilot but got a great offer. 09 touring with nav and dvd.

so I wanted a loaded tourning. had a few dealers down to 35 sticker was 40k, got one dealer to 34k +300 title

it had everything. let me know if you want details

frank