Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• honda_buyerhonda_buyer Member Posts: 6
    Hello all. Wanted to know what good deals people have gotten in the Dallas area for the 2009 Honda Pilot Touring w/ navi, no RES (and at what dealerships?). I am very much in the market now, bu t am trying to see if I can get the best deal out there. Currently, I am working on 33k + TTL. I think I can do better?
    Hello all. Looking for the best deal on a Honda Pilot 2009 Touring w/ navi, no RES. The best I have been quoted is 33K + TTL (and they are giving me 2K for my trade-in). And advice? any better quotes? and at what dealerships?
  • CalifLookieLooCalifLookieLoo Member Posts: 22
    It sounds like you worked hard for a good deal! Congratulations on your new car - perfect color, in my opinion! I'm curious what the itemized charge was for the "tint".
    I thought the Pilot Touring already had tinted windows, but, the one I'm doing an inquiry about has also had tint applied.........since I'm one of those who paid $$$ for glorified mop-n-glow before I joined Edmunds, I'm wondering what a reasonable price is for "tint" applied by the Dealership.

p.s. You done good!
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    It is possible the "tint" of 2 front windows. Tinting front windows may be illegal in some states, so Honda car is OEM the 2 tint back windows. In some states it is legal on tinting 2 front within the states legal specification. In MA it 35%.
  • jembatanduajembatandua Member Posts: 3
    I just got Pilot 2009 Touring 2WD with Navi, No RES for 32,282 + TTL at Oakland Honda, California last weekend. Dublin Honda would gave me 32,200 but they don't have Bali Blue color.
  • agvp23agvp23 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Congrats for you new wheels, I am also in market for this vehical, will appricate if you could give me the breakup of OTD price along with the sale rep's name.

Thanks in advance.

Prem
  • sp2000sp2000 Member Posts: 19
    email me at sonup4@gmail.com i can send you all the info.
  • batman11223batman11223 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Congratulations for you new Pilot, I am also looking for this vehical, will appricate if you could give me the breakup of OTD price along with the sale rep's name.

Thanks in advance.
    Question for the 2 people who recently bought their 2009 Pilot Touring Edition 4x4 with RES - did the $35,850 include any of the Manufacturer to Dealer incentive of $1500 with this price?

Anyone know when the 2010's will be in the showrooms?
  • sp2000sp2000 Member Posts: 19
    email me at sonup4@gmail.com i can send you all the info.
  • nucargurlnucargurl Member Posts: 30
    What was the dealer in Dallas? Did you have a number that you went in with? What was it?
  • youngfamilyyoungfamily Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new 2009 EX at GO Honda in the Denver metro area for $28,200 + TTL today.

I did an email barrage to all the local dealerships asking for their best price first on the trim and color we wanted. Then, I asked GO to beat it and they did. The first time I had ever stepped into the dealership was to buy the car. I used the: less time with salesman = more savings equation. This worked the best of all my car purchases so far (we have 3 hondas, currently). I appreciate the information on this forum, Consumer Reports, and the Motley Fool.
  • hockeyplayer99hockeyplayer99 Member Posts: 4
    No, it didn't include any manufacturer or dealer incentives
  • fastpitch_momfastpitch_mom Member Posts: 8
    CalifLookieLoo,

We paid $35,000 for our 2009 4WD Touring W/Res almost 10 days ago. I am assuming that included the $1500 manufacturer to dealer marketing support. I think others have gotten a better price, but we are happy since they had to do a dealer trade to get us the color we wanted.
  • kellysimkellysim Member Posts: 26
    Sorry to hear that.

I paid $26.4k (includes dest, includes $1500 incentive) for an '09 EX 4WD last week (PA).

I feel like it was a bit of a rip-off because although it is $3400 under invoice, $1500 of this is covered by American Honda. So it's really only $1900 under invoice. These vehicles were selling for $1k under back in November, and they sure have depreciated a hell of a lot more than $900 since then. I just couldn't bear to continue to mess around with these clowns, so I bit the bullet and bought it. You can definitely do better, probably get these for well under $26k.

My suggestion is to wait for the '10s. The dealers say they are coming in the fall, but I believe it will be this spring. Inventory on the Pilot (especially th EX-L) here in PA is staggering. You can check cars.com for your local area. There are 600 Pilots within a 30 mile radius of me. They'll never move that inventory at $3400 under. More like $6k under is required.

I bought this car because I needed it for work, but if you don't need one just wait. The '10s will sell at invoice (or lower) when they come out, that's a better deal than the '09s, and the '09s will be impossible to get rid of. That's the best time to make your deal.

Good luck.
  • no1jmvno1jmv Member Posts: 4
    For those inquiring about my Dallas deal on the Sterling Grey on Black 2WD Touring (no RES) for 31,888 (including destination, propac, and tint).

As usual I got a terrific quote e-mailed from Bankston Honda Lewisville. Since Bankston didn't stock my vehicle of choice, I used their number for leverage across SEVERAL dealerships (visited Lute Riley, John Eagle, Honda Cars of McKinney, McDavid of Irving and priced others just through e-mail), The main difficulty was locating the car. I HATE negotiating a price on a vehicle they have to locate because they can't tell me what equipment will come on it.

Eventually Freeman Honda received my vehicle and I leveraged my Bankston price on them. I basically told them that I could order this vehicle through Bankston at this price and choose whatever OEM accessories I want from handaaccessories.com or bernardiparts.com for dirt cheap OR they could sell me the vehicle they had on the lot (including accessories and removing the ugly pin stripe) for the same price. I knew they could meet this price because another dealer came close without even having the car. Having the car, I knew Freeman could eat another $770 in holdback.

They huffed for a little bit but agreed to the deal. I got similar offers from other dealer but they did not have my car. Locating the car is the hardest part about getting the deal you want at this point - pricing shouldn't be much of a problem. There are 10 Honda dealerships within 45 minute driving distance of the Dallas area.

For whoever asked about tint, their line item was 299 for tint but obviously I didn't pay their line item price. I told them to politely eat it.
    Just to give some more backup fto Dallas people looking to close on the 2WD Touring (no RES): Edmunds lists invoice at 34,185. Subtracting 1500 incentive and 770 holdback gets you to 31,915---pretty close to the 31,888 quoted to me by Bankston.

I received multiple quotes in the 32 even range and that's hopefully what you are seeing. The icing is convincing your dealership that you will not pay an extra dollar for "dealer-installed" options. You can order these items OEM from a number of locations so they need to take this opportunity to sell you this vehicle or you'll happily order elsewhere and kit it up just the way you want.
    Sorry, I'm on a bit of a posting frenzy but I want to help. In regards to you tracking the 2WD Touring (no RES) in Nimbus Grey. Have you had any problems locating this vehicle in Dallas? I didn't check anybody's inventory today but I can't imagine having too much trouble finding this. Every dealership I went to had PLENTY of Nimbus Greys on the lot. Obviously, not as many in the Touring config but if they DID have Tourings, they had a Nimbus Grey.

Again HUGE list of dealerships in/around DFW:

Rusty Wallis (635)
    John Eagle (Lemon Av)
    Lute Riley (75 in Richardson)
    Honda Cars of McKinney (75)
    David McDavid Honda Frisco
    McDavid Honda (Irving)
    Freeman Honda (Dallas)
    Bankston (Lewisville)
    McNatt (Denton)
    Vandergriff (Arlington)

Take advantage of the # of dealerships
  • bubsy1bubsy1 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the input.

I live in NJ and have been told that the EX's will be back in stock in May or June.
    Do you suppose tha these will be the 2010's or 2009's?

Also, if you can, please provide your zipcode in PA, as I may venture there to purchase a 2009 EX if I can't locate one in my NJ.

Best regards,
  • ncsu_wolfpackncsu_wolfpack Member Posts: 5
    I finally found a dealer in the Denver area with a Sterling Gray Metallic (w/ black interior) Pilot in their inventory.

I called today and spoke with their internet salesman. I didn't say anything about the color - simply asked for the price. He quoted $36,439 + tax.

I told him that was about the same as the invoice price you find on the internet...and that there should be some additional room given the $1500 manuf incentive and the 2% holdback. The number I had in mind was around $34,500...which is only a couple hundred dollars lower than most of the prices I've seen listed on here. He said "nope, we see the prices paid in the Denver area and nothing is going for that low."

He then said the pricing will change on Saturday - could be better ("slightly better" were his words) - and that he'd call me then.

This isn't the first dealer I've talked to - and I'm having no luck at all getting numbers as low as I've seen posted in this forum.

I talked to GO Honda like youngfamily posted above. They had a white/gray Touring (w/ nav and res) demo with 5550 miles on it. The best price I could get on that was $34,580. That's similar to what many people here are paying for new ones.

Either Denver is some sort of localized exception....or I'm just a bad negotiator. Any ideas?
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    Either Denver is some sort of localized exception....or I'm just a bad negotiator. Any ideas?

--Or people posting are flubbing there numbers, or the numbers are construed by trade-ins.

Send a very detailed Email to another 3-5 local dealers and provide them your name, contact phone number and tell them you will buy today for $34,500 if they have your color. So how they respond. That will be your best gauge of your local market.
    Sending out a mass of emails with a price point is generally a waste of time. If dealers accept that price then the only thing you found out is that your price point is way too high. You can get that number right now - the invoice price. Dealers don't negotiate reasonable prices with fantasy people, i.e. personalities created online.

A better method is to tell your local dealer that has a good reputation what is going on, i.e. what prices you are getting from other dealers. If one dealer can provide a price, a dealer with whom you have a relationship will match it. This is only true if the dealer believes you are qualified.

You won't generally get any quotes for anything other than their standard price in writing (right now that's generally their invoice price), but if a dealer tells you on the phone that they will provide that price, that's sufficient to shop it to your local dealer. If your local dealers believes that you aren't wasting their time they'll provide the vehicle at that price. The local dealer knows what the other dealer can and cannot sell the vehicle for.

You'll want to concentrate your time on the largest dealers. They can offer better prices than the rest and are usually more competitive. That's not to say that your local, smaller dealer won't match the price. If they have inventory (and they all do on the EX-L) they generally will match.

By September an '09 EX-L will be available for at least $6k under invoice. $1500 under invoice, which is what the dealers want right now is a serious rip-off for a vehicle which has massive inventory and for which there is minimal demand. Honda sales are down 40% on the year, but Pilot sales are down 55% on the year. Huge supply and minimal demand means that prices must drop, and substantially. Dealers who are holding out for $2k under invoice are in cloud coo-coo (i.e. fantasy) land. The 'we can't sell it for less than we paid for it' nonsense doesn't work in this environment as there are no buyers (not to mention the fact that they don't pay American Honda invoice anyway).

Good luck.
  • nate25nate25 Member Posts: 11
    Kellysim,

Hi, I have been following along with all the posts for a couple days because I am in the market for an '09 Pilot EX-L 4wd. Right now the MSRP is 35,900. So are you saying 6K off that price or the dealer invoice?

Here's my strategy... I guess we will see how it works. I sent out 73 letters to dealers within 150 miles of me. I live in Cincinnati. I just sent them out and I have 3 back already as of yesterday. Best offer so far is 30,600 not including tax and title.

So you are saying hold out for 29,900?? Or are you thinking even lower. I would love to buy this car for 28,000. I think that would be a steal!

My Toyota Takoma failed the frame inspection recall so right now I'm driving their loaner car and I'm supposed to get about a 10K check from them in the next couple weeks('97 Takoma 4x4 w/ 143K miles)!! So the most I can hold out is about a month or so. Thanks for your help.
    Hi. No not $6k off of MSRP. $6k off of invoice. They should right now be at $1500 off of invoice ($30215), because they want invoice and American Honda is giving them $1500. You can't get $6k off of invoice right now. You will be able to get $6k off of invoice in 4 months (or when the '10s come out, whichever is sooner) on an EX-L. The invoice on your vehicle is $31715. You will be able to purchase this vehicle for $26k in September. You should be able to purchase it right now for $28k, or $4k off of invoice. If you offer them $28500 they will certainly take it, just make sure you do it in person and that you tell them you will give them a deposit. Make sure there are no additional hidden charges and a reasonable fee for title and tags. Don't pay tax on the title and tags. If they say no, walk out, do not negotiate a higher price. They will follow you out or they will call you and accept your deal.

Keep in mind that $28,500 is between $500 and $1000 too much, as of today, for an EX-L.

Good luck.
    kellysim -

Does this same advice to wait awhile longer apply to the touring trim level as well?

I haven't done the mass email approach....have talked to dealers either in person or on the phone....and still cannot get them to budge below the internet invoice price.
  • nucargurlnucargurl Member Posts: 30
    I'm still about 6 weeks away from purchasing so there is a chance that I'll find MY Touring. Color is REALLY important to me. I'm just wondering if would I be better off with a EXL and add on the Navi & Bluetooth? Has anyone done this? How much were the add ons?

On a different note: Are the door panels different from EXL to Touring? I have only been in an EXL.
    Most out of town dealers are either not going to give you a price or may completely low ball you since you are just going to shop the quote to your local dealer. So, you may get lucky and call their bluff. But chances are they will say "oh, that car was already sold".

Even if you drive 75 miles to get the car, they realize you won't bring there for service, so you may not see many replies from the out of town ones.

I have bought my last few cars via internet shopping and completed the deal through the phone. If you are a serious buyer, focus on the local dealers. You may find one 75 miles away who wants to push some metal or has your color and trim for the right price...
    You can go out and get a top of the line Garmin for less than 1/2 of the factory installed NAV or an add on. I would consider this option. Plus, you will also have a portable device you can use in multiple cars if you have them.
  • shopper20shopper20 Member Posts: 7
    What dealer in PA were you dealing with? We are looking for an EXL and might be pushed if our van does not pass inspection next month.
  • nate25nate25 Member Posts: 11
    Wow 26K for an EX-L sounds like a great deal. I'll try and hold off as long as I can then. Hopefully the 2010s make their way to the showroom soon. I wouldn't have thought I could get 10K off of the MSRP. I'm glad I found this site. Now hopefully someone will be willing to deal.

Is there any advantage to paying cash?
  • jfftx67jfftx67 Member Posts: 5
    Last August, my nephew and his wife paid $27,000.00 including tt&l for a loaded 2008 Honda Pilot. Not sure what model it is, but it's 2wd, leather, sunroof, dvd player, etc. He was looking at a Hyundai Santa Fe at the time, and his wife had spoken with a saleperson at the Hyundai dealership on a specific model. When the Hyundai salesman pulled the Sante Fe around for them to look at, it wasn't the model they had previously discussed. He and his wife drove across the street with his check from the bank........he told them $27,000.00.......no more, no less. They walked out that evening with their new Honda.
    Thanks for your message. I am looking for this particular color, and dealers are saying it is a hard car to find. Nonetheless, I want to run by the board, whether the following deal is a good one? A dealer is offering me a Honda Pilot Touring (Nimbus Gray Metallic) with tint, wheel locks, cargo tray, splash guards, nitrogen in the tires, for 32,400 + TTL. Is this good? Or should I get the price to 32?
    This is good information. Thanks for your message. So tell me what Freeman honda agreed to exactly if you don't mind. These guys told me that they have located a vehicle in Texas (it may have up to 200 miles on it by the time it is transported to their dealership). Nonetheless, I am curious to know what your price was, and if it included the cargo tray, wheel locks, tint, splash guards, and nitrogen in the tires. I got the same quote from Bankston, but now they are telling me they can't procure the vehicle. Nonetheless, Freeman Honda says they have located one, and the price I told them was 31,800 + TTL (all those accessories included). Thanks for your help!
  • dukeandmariedukeandmarie Member Posts: 7
    Hello,
    Just joined and have been overwhelmed w/all the info... great forum! I was considering the Toyota Highlander (2008), but swung over to a Honda dealership (Denver) and test drove both the old body style and the new one... fell in love w/the 09 EX 4WD Pilot (keeping that in check though and would prefer the EX-L). Sticker was $32 and change and the dealer offered $30 and change w/o me even asking so I'm assuming there's more room for negotiating as I'm willing to walk away.

I've looked on Ebay and have sent a few emails to dealerships out of state and have gotten the e-brochures, etc, etc... but no pricing like I requested - so I'll skip that path. I'm willing to wait til the '10's come out and get better pricing on the '09... I'm w/the guy who'd like to get one for $28. I just want to get the most bang for my buck (doesn't everybody).

Questions I have are... where can I find the "invoice" price that I hear/read so much about? Is there a website... do you have to pay?? Are they specific to the city of the dealer? I'd prefer to buy from my local dealer (south dakota) but he's the only "honda" dealer in town. Would I be better off shopping in a metropolitan area like Denver? Any and all suggestions are welcome!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Go to the top of the page, click on New Cars, then follow the pricing links...

Very easy!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Ok, call me a goomba... but that takes you to the MSRP.. isn't the "invoice" (what the dealer paid) different from that?? Thanks again for all your help...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Keep paging through pricing.. you'll see the invoice prices..

New Cars
    then,

Price w/options
    then,

Choose make/model..

It's all there...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

THANK YOU!!! Gotta go cheer on the Rockies now!!! :-)
  • 943adck943adck Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for an LX but the dealer does not have one and said they are hard to come by, so I may consider an EX. I did get an internet price of $2000 under invoice on the 4WD EX (and $500 under invoice on an 4WD LX) but based on what I've read here I am wondering if I should continue to look for better pricing on both models? Is the EX really worth $2,500 more?
    I spoke to my salesman after closing my deal on my Pilot and he was brutally honest - he said that the SUVs are not moving (I guess he also meant the CRV?) and that they were basically waiting for Honda to come out with a "substantially larger value incentive". I guess this means more than the current $1500 on the Pilot. He said the Pilot is "virtually unsaleable" at current pricing.

I would therefore hold off on buying an '09 Pilot until after Honda raises the incentive a lot (maybe to $3000).

I hope this helps.
  • docscott1docscott1 Member Posts: 5
    Honda Buyer -

32,400 for this car is excellent...good job
  • spectre357spectre357 Member Posts: 6
    In the greater L.A. area, I just bought a white w/gray 4WD Touring for $35,150, including destination charge, from Goudy Honda in Alhambra. Had go through the ritual knife-fight-in-a-telephone-booth with the junior sales guy, then the sales manager. Luckily I brought along a notebook that was running an Excel model that I had built to analyze the costs. Paid another $1,700 for the 7yr/120K/$0-deductible Honda Car warranty (I probably could've ground away another $4-500 on that, but it was getting late, and my wife wasn't feeling well and wanted to go home.)

According to a source at San Diego dealer, there were only six 4WD Touring models in the entire SoCal market (spanning Santa Barbara to San Diego) - four were black/black (at least two of which did not have the RES,), one Sterling/blue (no RES), and one white/gray (w/RES - the one we bought.) Three, possibly, four, were at this particular dealer. In a call earlier in the day, the sales manager let it slip that their sales are down to 3-400, from a norm of 5-600, so grab them by the throat and squeeze. Hope this helps!
    I closed on my Nimbus Grey on Beige 2WD Touring (no RES) yesterday for $32,500 + TTL (killer in L.A. County) and I am so happy with the purchase and the SUV!

I contacted a few dealers via the internet, turned down some deals, and was turned down on others. I went 60 miles out to L.A. to Goudy's after coming to an internet agreement - and, making clear I didn't want any dealer add-ons, mop-n-glow, rust-proofing (I'm the one who has bought those in the past!), etc. The salesman was very professional and informative to my older sons (explaining the NAV, so they can re-explain it to me!) and sweet to my 5 year old who has to go where I go because she has continual IV's running - he let her sit in the display Odyssey watching "Ice Age" on the RES while we completed the paperwork. The Finance manager didn't try to sell me anything but the extended warranty. It was SO nice not to be or feel pressured! Thank you to this forum for showing me how to go at buying a car the right way......it was actually a fun experience! :D

Char in California (no longer "CalifLookieLoo"!) ;)
    You paid the same $1700.00 I did from Goudy Honda for the 7yr/120k/$0-Deductible - I think it's a pretty good investment. Yep, I found a 4WD in Nimbus in Gilroy - 400miles away, and a Sterling 4WD in Las Vegas. I ended up with a 2WD because I "needed" the Grey more than the 4WD ;)

BTW - did you notice the Verizon guy speaking Chinese on the big billboard in town? We tried to take a picture of it for my Asian DIL!

Char
  • spectre357spectre357 Member Posts: 6
    Let me guess, you were talking to Art at Gilroy, right? I put feelers out to 4 dealers in northern California - Carmichael in Sacramento, Capitol in San Jose, Gilroy, and Hayward. The same San Diego dealer told me that the 4WD Touring were (relatively) available up there. Ultimately I decided against pursuing any of their offers. The problem with trying to deal with distant dealers is that your bargaining position is weakened because they know it's less likely that you're going to walk away having traveled~400 miles for a car.

Yeah, it really doesn't take much for that warranty to pay for itself. On my '03 Accord, three motor mount bushings needed to be replaced @ 98K miles - total cost: $1,800. Because of the warranty, I paid nothing.
    (To Spectre357)

As best I can tell, that's a good price. I've been talking to dealers for a couple of weeks now (in the Denver, CO metro area). The best I've been able to do for a new 4wd Touring with Nav & Res is $35,500....for white or dark cherry.

I can also get a sterling gray metallic demo with 5000 miles on it for $35,200...or a new sterling gray metallic w/o RES for $34,580. These prices include all dealer fees but don't include sales tax.

Denver seems to be in a Honda Pilot "bubble". I can't seem to get close the prices I've seen posted on here.
  • maxwellshousemaxwellshouse Member Posts: 2
    I just leased an 09 EX 3/36k miles for 300/mo +TTL. Gross Cap costs were $29042 and the residual is $17k. I plan to buy it after the 3 years so this was all about cash flow. Is anyone else leasing 09 EX's? Was this a good deal? I think it was, but it is my first lease experience
  • upendrakupendrak Member Posts: 8
    Trying to check if there is any New 2008 4WD Pilot EXL or Touring available anywhere? How do I find out about the available inventory?

I am willing to travel and drive back with vehicle.

What I am looking for (MUST):
    2008 Brand new Pilot, Leather, 4WD, Navigation System (preferred the preinstalled ones). Fully Loaded type..
    Other Optional: RES, Color preference: Gray, Silver

Thank you.
    Have you tried Autotrader for the new 2008 Pilot EXL? The Tourings just came out in 2009, so you won't find a 2008 Touring! It was almost impossible to find a new 2009 Gray Touring 4WD in California - there's one in Gilroy, and another in Las Vegas! If you're back East, you might have better luck finding a 4WD EXL.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    upendrak

2008 Honda Pilot EXL w/RES
    Price $36,453
    Condition New
    Mileage 0
    Trim 4WD 4dr EX-L w/RES
    Exterior Color Silver
    Interior Color Gray
    Stock No. 580215
    Vin 5FNYF18638B015329
    Sloane Honda